Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (198) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1828880 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (195) (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:26am On Nov 01, 2014
Which is why I always advise that one studies :1) Before a lecture2) Pay attention during the lecture3) Study what was taught immediately after the lecture. This gives you a chance to add more details if you want a distinction.4) Revise at another time5) Maybe one more time for folks that want distinctions.

the words of Dr. Lomaxx.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Babafaros(m): 7:44am On Nov 01, 2014
lomaxx:

Start by removing the distractions - then study. Never study with the hope of containing distractions. It mostly never works. Even if it does- its not perfect.

I'm not a fan of studying for long grueling hours. It's not important. What is important is your goal of studying, having the right materials, and making sure you attain your study goal per time.

A man can decide to put 2 bags of rice on a wheelbarrow and push it from point A to point B. To everyone, he has worked hard. To him, he is working hard. You can see the sweat on his skin and his bulgy muscles attesting to the 2 bags of rice weight.

Another man can decide to put 2 bags of rice in van- to move from point A to point B. Well, this doesn't matter much to anyone. Nobody sees him. Nobody hears him. He doesn't work so much as MR Truckpusher. But he did what Mr Truckpusher did- moving two bags of rice from point A to point B.

Granted-to succeed, you would have to invest hardwork. But sadly, the most important thing is not the amount of work you do, but the amount of goals you attain per time.

I am not saying studying for long hours isn't good. My point is- no matter how long you study for ( 2 hours or 20 hours) place more emphasis on what you're achieving with that time instead of using the length of time as a measure of effective study. At the end of the day, when you're asked to write on the brachial plexus, nobody would ask the number of hours you studied. You'd be expected to produce what you should know.

This doesn't mean it's easier.

Long term memory depends a whole lot on repetitive studying. If my physiology doesn't fail me, there are two types of memories: short term and long term. When you're studying a concept for the first time, that information is stored as short term memory. Within a short while, you'd forget. To remember over a long period of time, you need to transfer this information from the short term to long term memory centers. This can only happen by repetitive studying- a term fondly called "potentiation" (look up physiology of long term memory and potentiation for more details)

Which is why I always advise that one studies :

1) Before a lecture
2) Pay attention during the lecture
3) Study what was taught immediately after the lecture. This gives you a chance to add more details if you want a distinction.
4) Revise at another time
5) Maybe one more time for folks that want distinctions.

To me that's all you need.

The other BCH-Medicine thing is a very personal affair. If you've wanted to study medicine all your life, on no account should you back down. At least, give it your best shot. If it works out, well and good- if not, at least you gave it a good try.

Don't spend too much time thinking of making the right decision. Make the decision - then stick to it

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 8:13am On Nov 01, 2014
Greetings to everyone in this new month. As the Editor-in-Chief of University of Uyo Medical Students Association, I'm delighted to announce that we would be launching the next edition of our magazine soon. Sequel to this, we would love to feature articles from medical students in other schools scattered across Nigeria.

The proposed article must be original, type-set, and should relate remotely or distantly to medical school or the medical profession.

Submit articles to uumsa@writeme.com or matata@doctor.com on or before 14th November, 2014.

Kindly add your name, department, level, school, and a photograph(if possible).

Thank you.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by seunO4: 8:42am On Nov 01, 2014
lomaxx:

Start by removing the distractions - then study. Never study with the hope of containing distractions. It mostly never works. Even if it does- its not perfect.

I'm not a fan of studying for long grueling hours. It's not important. What is important is your goal of studying, having the right materials, and making sure you attain your study goal per time.

A man can decide to put 2 bags of rice on a wheelbarrow and push it from point A to point B. To everyone, he has worked hard. To him, he is working hard. You can see the sweat on his skin and his bulgy muscles attesting to the 2 bags of rice weight.

Another man can decide to put 2 bags of rice in van- to move from point A to point B. Well, this doesn't matter much to anyone. Nobody sees him. Nobody hears him. He doesn't work so much as MR Truckpusher. But he did what Mr Truckpusher did- moving two bags of rice from point A to point B.

Granted-to succeed, you would have to invest hardwork. But sadly, the most important thing is not the amount of work you do, but the amount of goals you attain per time.

I am not saying studying for long hours isn't good. My point is- no matter how long you study for ( 2 hours or 20 hours) place more emphasis on what you're achieving with that time instead of using the length of time as a measure of effective study. At the end of the day, when you're asked to write on the brachial plexus, nobody would ask the number of hours you studied. You'd be expected to produce what you should know.

Long term memory depends a whole lot on repetitive studying. If my physiology doesn't fail me, there are two types of memories: short term and long term. When you're studying a concept for the first time, that information is stored as short term memory. Within a short while, you'd forget. To remember over a long period of time, you need to transfer this information from the short term to long term memory centers. This can only happen by repetitive studying- a term fondly called "potentiation" (look up physiology of long term memory and potentiation for more details)

1) Before a lecture
3) Study what was taught immediately after the lecture. This gives you a chance to add more details if you want a distinction.

The other BCH-Medicine thing is a very personal affair. If you've wanted to study medicine all your life, on no account should you back down. At least, give it your best shot. If it works out, well and good- if not, at least you gave it a good try.

Don't spend too much time thinking of making the right decision. Make the decision - then stick to it
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:24am On Nov 01, 2014
i heard that dental student graduate faster than medical student cos of the population
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Omonoba1: 9:39am On Nov 01, 2014
ojingbe:
i heard that dental student graduate faster than medical student cos of the population
they graduate at thesame time bro and in some cases, the reverse of what you said is the case...in the last induction in uniben only 9 dental doctors where inducted alongside 66 medical doctors..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Suresh08: 10:24am On Nov 01, 2014
Omonoba1:
they graduate at thesame time bro and in some cases, the reverse of what you said is the case...in the last induction in uniben only 9 dental doctors where inducted alongside 66 medical doctors..
boss.. Do u skul in uniben?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrAmanda(f): 10:27am On Nov 01, 2014
lomaxx:
For those who asked, I have scavenged the download links for the preclinical textbooks I recommended. Happy downloading. This is Medicine Made Easy grin

Anatomy

1) BRS Embryology

http://www.neuronarc.com/brs-embryology-board-review-series-5th-edition-pdf.html

2) BRS Histology(34MB)

http://www.4shared.com/office/L_MOkl-Pba/brs_cell_biology_and_histology.html

3) Snell Clinical Anatomy By Regions(92MB)

http://www.4shared.com/office/oBO4Yq1v/Snells_Clinical_Anatomy_by_Reg.htm?locale=en

Physiology

1) Fox Physiology (201MB)

http://www.4shared.com/zip/gM_lVpVt/fox_human_physiology_8th_editi.htm?locale=en

2) NMS Physiology (22MB)

http://www.4shared.com/office/U7L6KV6d/NMS_Physiology.htm?locale=en

Biochemistry

1) M N Charteajea Textbook Of Medical Biochemistry(21MB)

http://indianmedicalebooks..com/2013/07/mn-chatterjea-textbook-of-medical.html?m=1

2) D M Vasudevan Textbook of Medical Biochemistry

http://indianmedicalebooks..com/2013/07/dm-vasudevan-textbook-of-biochemistry.html?m=1
Thank you
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by orluuchi(f): 10:34am On Nov 01, 2014
hi everyone. I've been admitted to study physiology in Uniben but I don't know anything about the course. I wanna know what it involves and the job opportunities. I also look forward to meeting other physiology students.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Katdaddy(m): 11:03am On Nov 01, 2014
Guys please I'm a 100 level medical student at UI and I want to know how I can get my course outline or I'd anyone here has it.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:14am On Nov 01, 2014
orluuchi:
hi everyone. I've been admitted to study physiology in Uniben but I don't know anything about the course. I wanna know what it involves and the job opportunities. I also look forward to meeting other physiology students.

congrats
job opportunities in nigeria doesn't necessarily reflect your course of study.
human physiology deals with 'mechanisms' of body 'function'.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by orluuchi(f): 11:26am On Nov 01, 2014
joker5180:

congrats
job opportunities in nigeria doesn't necessarily reflect your course of study.
human physiology deals with 'mechanisms' of body 'function'.
thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ubechu1(m): 12:47pm On Nov 01, 2014
lomaxx:

1) Before a lecture

Dr Lomaxx, u nailed it...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Zidora: 1:36pm On Nov 01, 2014
So nice to connect wth doctors and aspiring doctors in the house. Was a medical student in unijos before I transferred to the carribean.It was fast,I graduated some months before my peers,quite cheap&i passed my USMLE.I want to help people free of charge like someone helped me,first five people to contact me on 08125543351.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 01, 2014
Omonoba1:
am also in uniben. Those medical doctors are not in the same set with d dental doctors. The split medical student into batches and that set was a year older thtan the dental student they matriculated
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lilchris04: 2:24pm On Nov 01, 2014
I'm an aspiring medical student... I just passed my pre degree entrance exam for OAU and i look forward to being admitted into 100 level by God's grace.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 8:09pm On Nov 01, 2014
DrAmanda:

Thank you
@DrAmanda, U̶̲̥̅̊ school in delsu right? If yes, where are the 200L med students based! Abk? Warri? Or where? Thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrAmanda(f): 2:03pm On Nov 02, 2014
ikevin:
@DrAmanda, U̶̲̥̅̊ school in delsu right? If yes, where are the 200L med students based! Abk? Warri? Or where? Thanks
Abk
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Destinygrl(f): 2:39pm On Nov 02, 2014
lomaxx:

I'll beg to differ.

Med school is 7 years(being realistic). You're currently in 200 level going to 300l and you have a medicine admission. You want to b a doctor. I see no problem in leaving whatever you're doing to do what you love- even if it means starting afresh. That is how it is done. When someone is admitted via UTME, he/she begins from 100level - irrespective of if you had a PhD.

Maybe you're young and you have so much time in your hands so you can afford to take those decisions. When it comes to career decisions, I don't think parental advice carry so much weight. Most often than none, they're subjective and prone to sentiments. Most of us have been in the system and from what we've seen over the years, we would advise differently. Which is what I'm doing.

Unless you have other reasons.

At the end of the day, it's your choice to make.

Good luck.
thanks doc
what I meant is dad suggested tht I shld graduate first may b get married too and if I still felt like I want to study MBBS I cld go ahead with it
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:28pm On Nov 02, 2014
lomaxx:
For those who asked, I have scavenged the download links for the preclinical textbooks I recommended. Happy downloading. This is Medicine Made Easy grin

Anatomy

1) BRS Embryology

http://www.neuronarc.com/brs-embryology-board-review-series-5th-edition-pdf.html

2) BRS Histology(34MB)

http://www.4shared.com/office/oBO4Yq1v/Snells_Clinical_Anatomy_by_Reg.htm?locale=en

Physiology

http://www.4shared.com/zip/gM_lVpVt/fox_human_physiology_8th_editi.htm?locale=en

2) NMS Physiology (22MB)

Biochemistry

http://indianmedicalebooks..com/2013/07/mn-chatterjea-textbook-of-medical.html?m=1

http://indianmedicalebooks..com/2013/07/dm-vasudevan-textbook-of-biochemistry.html?m=1
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Damie370: 6:10pm On Nov 02, 2014
I choose pharmacy but i was given pharmacology......Pls wat do u think about pharmacology in Nigeria
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 6:34pm On Nov 02, 2014

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Samgreguc(m): 7:39pm On Nov 02, 2014
lomaxx:

Lol..... Lazy student.......
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 8:15pm On Nov 02, 2014
Greetings to everyone in this new month. As the Editor-in-Chief of University of Uyo Medical Students Association, I'm delighted to announce that we would be launching the next edition of our magazine soon. Sequel to this, we would love to feature articles from medical students in other schools scattered across Nigeria.

The proposed article must be original, type-set, and should relate remotely or distantly to medical school or the medical profession.

Submit articles to uumsa@writeme.com or matata@doctor.com on or before 14th November, 2014.

Kindly add your name, department, level, school, and a photograph(if possible).

Thank you.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by leo1234(m): 10:52pm On Nov 02, 2014
Zidora:
So nice to connect wth doctors and aspiring doctors in the house. Was a medical student in unijos before I transferred to the carribean.It was fast,I graduated some months before my peers,quite cheap&i passed my USMLE.I want to help people free of charge like someone helped me,first five people to contact me on 08125543351.

If u have any useful information post it hear.
Thanks.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Omonoba1: 5:04am On Nov 03, 2014
ojingbe:
am also in uniben. Those medical doctors are not in the same set with d dental doctors. The split medical student into batches and that set was a year older thtan the dental student they matriculated
ummm!!! calm down sire! if you are also in uniben you would know both sets (both dental and medical) were 2011/2012 set..uniben did two induction this year..its just that in the first induction, no dental surgeon was inducted cos they had issues wit their papers but 6 of them were inducted in the second induction after they passed the papers..if your opinion still differs, just keep it to yourself so we dont derail the thread..
shalom!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Omonoba1: 5:06am On Nov 03, 2014
Suresh08:
boss.. Do u skul in uniben?
yes sire!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 5:19am On Nov 03, 2014
DrAmanda:

Abk
thanks for the reply, by the way, do you still have the syllabus for 200L. The course contents, any directions, thanks.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Joejonah(m): 6:18am On Nov 03, 2014
[quote author=XavierG post=27665141][/quote]
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Joejonah(m): 6:20am On Nov 03, 2014
lomaxx:

Anatomy

1) BRS Embryology

2) BRS Histology(34MB)

Physiology

2) NMS Physiology (22MB)

Biochemistry

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Rexchimex(m): 6:46am On Nov 03, 2014
Not available
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:10am On Nov 03, 2014
lomaxx:

LOL. So true.

(1) (2) (3) ... (195) (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.