Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,355 members, 7,836,458 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:09 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (67) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1847509 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (906) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 7:22pm On Jul 01, 2013
Lagusta:

hmmmmmmm.......

I think alutacontinua is in the best position to answer this, romance things!!!

but to me, I don't see anything bad, except if the husband is a neurosurgeon and the wife is an orthopedic surgeon!!!!

Haha... I can imagine.

Have you noticed that a good number of female consultants rarely tie the nuptial knot ( esp the very successful ones)? angry angry angry
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 7:24pm On Jul 01, 2013
Dr_Bode: From edu to love!
Respect to you all. Shey it's advisable to marry/date a fellow Medico

Marriage is beyond MBBS and fellowships. If you love her, wife her. cool cool

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jul 01, 2013
lomaxx:

Marriage is beyond MBBS and fellowships. If you love her, wife her. cool cool

Gbam!
It takes proper planning too. I for one wouldn't mind a fellow medico (infact eehhhhnnnn lipsrsealed wink ) but there would be plans. Somebody might need to go the for the less time-consuming ones in the end. Once there is love, logic flies out of the window and you just find a way around it. smiley smiley
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DBestDoc(f): 8:08pm On Jul 01, 2013
lomaxx:

oh!
You'd be fine.
I've heard of your exploits in previous pages. grin grin grin

Best of luck, sweet cool cool
Thank You!

Exploits seriously

Dr Lomaxx i gat no comment.
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

If you know how scattered my brain is,you won't talk 'bout exploits embarassed embarassed.too many information at the same time.

Thank GOD for being there!and Thank God for Nairaland(providing avenue to roam about and cool off) grin grin grin grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DBestDoc(f): 8:13pm On Jul 01, 2013
Dr_Bode: From edu to love!
Respect to you all. Shey it's advisable to marry/date a fellow Medico

For me its a capital No.
Not even in my wildest imagination.

They are better as coleagues.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Fedric(m): 10:38pm On Jul 01, 2013
Great doctors, great. The greatest Doctor will rule the world. Am so happy and inspired for your co-operation and love shared here. Am an aspirant to Delsu, medicine is my faculty, Great Doctors i hope am welcome in this room?

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 10:44pm On Jul 01, 2013
Fedric: Great doctors, great. The greatest Doctor will rule the world. Am so happy and inspired about your co-operations and love shared here. Am an aspirant to Delsu, medicine is my faculty, Great Doctor i hope am welcome in this room.

you are highly welcome jare!!!!

*hands him a bailey and love's*
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by JewelBukky(f): 10:51pm On Jul 01, 2013
Fedric: Great doctors, great. The greatest Doctor will rule the world. Am so happy and inspired for your co-operation and love shared here. Am an aspirant to Delsu, medicine is my faculty, Great Doctors i hope am welcome in this room?
promising doctor, u r wlcm!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Amanda6(f): 11:46pm On Jul 01, 2013
Amanda6: Can some1 tell me more about Eac ibadan,the website doesn't say much, how are classes,lectures,the teacher the school fees is it per semester of yearly.how is d environment, d skul entirely
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Azboy34(m): 12:59am On Jul 02, 2013
Well done all doctors nd aspiring doctors. please I need an answer to this question. What z d main cause of TYPHOID? Nd how can it be total eradicated from d body system? I will really appreciate an adequate answer to my questn. Thanx Doctors!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Azboy34(m): 1:01am On Jul 02, 2013
Jewel Bukky: promising doctor, u r wlcm!
haaa bukky u are here! I sight u! May God grant u ur heart desire( amin suma amin).
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:52am On Jul 02, 2013
Azboy34: Well done all doctors nd aspiring doctors. please I need an answer to this question. What z d main cause of TYPHOID? Nd how can it be total eradicated from d body system? I will really appreciate an adequate answer to my questn. Thanx Doctors!

Salmonella typhi. I'll back with eradication technique when i do anti-bacterial pharmacology. But for now, i bliv my bosses would help out. Over to u!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 6:19am On Jul 02, 2013
Azboy34: Well done all doctors nd aspiring doctors. please I need an answer to this question. What z d main cause of TYPHOID? Nd how can it be total eradicated from d body system? I will really appreciate an adequate answer to my questn. Thanx Doctors!

typhoid fever is a serious illness caused by species of salmonella, mainly salmonella typhi, others include s. paratyphi A, B and C strains..... all are gram negative. rods!!!

it is contracted via eating or drinking contaminated food or water, no proper food hygiene, etc

symptoms include headache, high fever, general body pains, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, abdominal cramps, rose spots on the trunk, then later, bloody stools, weakness, intestinal perforation, sepsis and finally.... DEATH!!!

widal test gives the diagnosis, for treatment, see your doctor!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 8:52am On Jul 02, 2013
Lagusta:

typhoid fever is a serious illness caused by species of salmonella, mainly salmonella typhi, others include s. paratyphi A, B and C strains..... all are gram negative. rods!!!

it is contracted via eating or drinking contaminated food or water, no proper food hygiene, etc

symptoms include headache, high fever, general body pains, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, abdominal cramps, rose spots on the trunk, then later, bloody stools, weakness, intestinal perforation, sepsis and finally.... DEATH!!!

I just remembered one of my in course questions in medical microbiology..

"widal test is not a specific and conclusive laboratory diagnostic test for typhoid fever. discuss"

cool cool cool
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Fedric(m): 9:03am On Jul 02, 2013
Jewel Bukky: promising doctor, u r wlcm!
thank you my dear.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 9:11am On Jul 02, 2013
Gold standard for diagnosis of typhoid fever is culture of isolated organism. Culture is 100% specific. Blood culture, stool culture, culture of bone marrow aspirate.

Widal test is not specific or sensitive for typhoid fever. Bless cool cool

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DBestDoc(f): 9:46am On Jul 02, 2013
Lagusta:

Well said Sir
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by JewelBukky(f): 9:53am On Jul 02, 2013
Azboy34: haaa bukky u are here! I sight u! May God grant u ur heart desire( amin suma amin).
yes o my gud frnd. Amen nd Amen! Tnk u.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 10:44am On Jul 02, 2013
lomaxx: Gold standard for diagnosis of typhoid fever is culture of isolated organism. Culture is 100% specific. Blood culture, stool culture, culture of bone marrow aspirate.

Widal test is not specific or sensitive for typhoid fever. Bless cool cool

Yes, that's the standard, but as a doctor with a side-lab, who needs results in hours, widal will suffice,,,,, before the real culture tests pop in!!!

it's just like the rapid diagnostic kit for malaria, which gives results in. hours, but the gold standard is the peripheral blood film........

but u still da boss!!!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by hillsnite(m): 10:50am On Jul 02, 2013
Lagusta:

sir,wah r d possible cure/medication dat can b given to a person sufferin 4rm typhoid?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Caduceus: 10:51am On Jul 02, 2013
Lagusta:

Genius. I feel u
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 11:19am On Jul 02, 2013
hillsnite: sir,wah r d possible cure/medication dat can b given to a person sufferin 4rm typhoid?

Management of typhoid fever can be medical and/or surgical.

Medical management include :

1 )proper fluid and electrolyte monitoring and replacement
2) pharmacologic therapy (broad spectrum antibiotics) prior to isolation of offending organism (S.typhi in this case)
3) patient should be advised on proper hygiene, proper hand washing before eating, proper waste and faeces disposal

Surgical management comes in when complications of typhoid fever arise. A good example is intestinal perforation. In cases of multiple small intestinal perforation secondary to typhoid fever, small bowel resection is indicated.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by hillsnite(m): 11:41am On Jul 02, 2013
lomaxx:

Management of typhoid fever can be medical and/or surgical.

Medical management include :

1 )proper fluid and electrolyte monitoring and replacement
2) pharmacologic therapy (broad spectrum antibiotics) prior to isolation of offending organism (S.typhi in this case)
3) patient should be advised on proper hygiene, proper hand washing before eating, proper waste and faeces disposal

Surgical management comes in when complications of typhoid fever arise. A good example is intestinal perforation. In cases of multiple small intestinal perforation secondary to typhoid fever, small bowel resection is indicated.

tenqz alot
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jul 02, 2013
hillsnite: tenqz alot

Bros, if you have typhoid or know someone who does, go to the hospital ASAP. This place is not a hospital oooo...just saying. cool

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jul 02, 2013
Phew! See difference btw my answer and Dr. Lagusta's own...MCQs don spoil me finish. I cannot even detail answer again. God help me when I come to write NMA's examz oooooo cry cry
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by hillsnite(m): 2:34pm On Jul 02, 2013
alutacontinua:

Bros, if you have typhoid or know someone who does, go to the hospital ASAP. This place is not a hospital oooo...just saying. cool
tenqz missy 4 ur concern... Iont ave... Jes curious dat all.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jul 02, 2013
Help! Microbiology is giving me problem. For christ sake, what is gram + or -? Pls help out. And I am jux to lazy to go thru google.. Whatever, lkahgdjsmabnghjk #faints
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 8:21pm On Jul 02, 2013
#me@:
Help! Microbiology is giving me problem. For christ sake, what is gram + or -? Pls help out. And I am jux to lazy to go thru google.. Whatever, lkahgdjsmabnghjk #faints

Bacteria is divided into Gram positive and Gram negative based on their ability to trap crystal violet .

Gram positive stains purple/blue. Gram negative stains pink/red.

What underlies the principle of Gram staining?

Gram positive bacteria has many layers of peptidoglycan in its cell wall. Gram negative bacteria has only one layer of peptidoglycan in its cell wall.
Make your smear. Fix your smear with 95% methanol, it dries. Then you flood with crystal violet...both Gram positive and Gram negative absorbs the crystal violet.
Then flood with iodine. Wash off. And 'decolourise' with 95% alcohol. Finally , a red dye called sufranin is used to stain the smear.

Gram positive bacteria has more peptidoglycan than lipid in its cell wall. So it will trap the crystal violet. And will not be decolourised by alcohol. It will retain the original purple/blue colour of crystal violet. Hence, the purple/blue colour.

Gram negative bacteria has more lipid than peptidoglycan in its wall. So alcohol will wash off the outer layer of the bacterial cell wall...thus decolourising the crystal violet. . Gram negative bacteria can now pick up the red colour of sufranin dye. Hence, red/pink.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 8:31pm On Jul 02, 2013
#me@:
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jul 02, 2013
. .
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 8:53pm On Jul 02, 2013
#me@:
Oh tanx guy.. Yeah, I prefer it dat way. No wonder dat stupid tin we did in lab, ermm diffrential stainin gave pink and puprle patches.. Those lectures, mtcww, wen dey wont evn use simple English, awalys using poetic words, grammar, Whatever.. Can now open this big textbook.. Bla bla bla.. #gosh... Heyyyyyy, Doc Lagusta nd co, dnt start thinkin abt yr psychiatry classes as regards me.. I tink Im normal...or am I mad? Dhjidfshjgfuioakjhnamjhgfu ###faints#

I just remembered mental state examination component of CNS Exam.

angry angry angry

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (906) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.