Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:15 PM

NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses (11017 Views)

Reps Committee Calls For Overhauling Of NHIS, NAFDAC / Nhis(national Health Insurance Scheme) / Govt To Include Cancer Treatment Under NHIS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by Itohen: 11:03am On Sep 17, 2012
Self employed Nigerians and small business owners with less than ten staff can now access subsidized quality health care under the voluntary contributors social health insurance programme launched by the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS).

At the media launch in Lagos at the weekend, the acting Executive Secretary, NHIS, Mr. Abdulrahman Sambo, said the scheme will commence in Lagos, but will eventually spread to other parts of the country.  He said Lagos was chosen for the commencement of the scheme because of its strategic importance in the economic life of Nigeria.

The voluntary contributors social health insurance programme (VCSHIP) is a prepayment arrangement where contributors would pay an annual premium of N15,000, adding that it will guarantee them access to health care in any NHIS registered hospital across Nigeria. According to Mr. Sambo, the scheme only covers the contributor without other beneficiaries ,but allows him or her access same quality health care with those under the regular health insurance scheme.

Those to benefit he said include artisans, entertainers, media professionals, students, retirees not covered by the NHIS programme, political office holders, foreigners and other informal sector players.  Sambo said to make the process easier, interested persons who wouldn’t want to visit NHIS offices for registration can purchase the voluntary contributors vouchers from the 11 participating health management organisations and register online.

He said NHIS is talking with five banks to be able to facilitate online payments.  “We are also partnering five banks to enable subscribers pay the N15,000 online to ease the transaction rather than buy a scratch card. We are targeting individuals who can afford to pay something so they can also benefit. We are also giving them the same benefits with what the Federal Government employees are getting – primary, secondary and tertiary health care.” he added.

He said the contribution is N15,000 per annum, and that it covers only the individual that contributed.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php/news/176923-nhis-introduces-voluntary-health-insurance-for-self-employed-small-businesses-

1 Like

Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by Greenslim: 12:58pm On Sep 19, 2012
Great development.

1 Like

Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by casestudy: 11:58am On Sep 22, 2012
beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great initiative! I'm also looking forward to wider coverage of health services, investigations, and diverse surgical procedures by the scheme. Then of course looking forward to when other insurance companies and private firms can have d licenses to run health insurance too in naija.
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by Murphylink(m): 12:26pm On Sep 22, 2012
If it will be well implemented, this is a noble idea. But its expensive considering the targets. These are artisans that can hardly afford basic needs of life. Wish the initiator can make additional provisions that will include other members of the family
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by kelvincoll(m): 12:28pm On Sep 22, 2012
Nice development... Fresh Breeze cool cool cool
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by Nobody: 1:06pm On Sep 22, 2012
where are the registered NHIS hospitals?
i certainly havent seen any.
how do you identify someone without an ID? I mean is there a database where my details can be pulled up to retrieve and verify my details?
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by Jyde89: 1:13pm On Sep 22, 2012
Murphylink: If it will be well implemented, this is a noble idea. But its expensive considering the targets. These are artisans that can hardly afford basic needs of life. Wish the initiator can make additional provisions that will include other members of the family
to make it easier for people, i think the option of installmental payment should be included. Kudos to NHIS for this initiative.
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by Nobody: 1:24pm On Sep 22, 2012
There has to be provision for healthy insurance first before this plan can work effectively. There is nothing like that in place. So, it is going to be hard to realize.
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by SHOCK7(m): 1:31pm On Sep 22, 2012
Great 2,but i think they would 've made common people pay per month like insurance dat i know of,'ve dat option.I would be readily affordable!
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by SamAfrik(m): 1:46pm On Sep 22, 2012
Nice development. Time to make health services more accessible.
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by Opoki(m): 2:00pm On Sep 22, 2012
Well, it's a good development if only the health scheme will meet its purpose abi no be ds country again? where facilities are lacking in our hospitals as well as qualified docs! Many rural communities don't even have access to primary health center. I think the very first thing to do is to upgrade our health sector, build and equip health centres, employ personnels, lets see news of foreigners patronizing our health system, maybe then people will have faith in all this schemes.
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by Nobody: 2:08pm On Sep 22, 2012
Wow! Thats great. Can't wait till they arrive at kano, i'm going to lagos to pay straight joor
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by mu2sa2: 2:24pm On Sep 22, 2012
It's a shame that most state governments hav refused to implement NHIS and civil servants ar bearing d brunt.D thieving state governors will rather steal public money than implement a programme meant for public good.
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by AjanleKoko: 3:16pm On Sep 22, 2012
OMO IBO: where are the registered NHIS hospitals?
i certainly havent seen any.
how do you identify someone without an ID? I mean is there a database where my details can be pulled up to retrieve and verify my details?

They've got a list of scheme participating hospitals on their website, www.nhis.gov.ng.

mu2sa2: It's a shame that most state governments hav refused to implement NHIS and civil servants ar bearing d brunt.D thieving state governors will rather steal public money than implement a programme meant for public good.

Civil servants are expected to patronize the Health Centers and General Hospitals.
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by SHOCK7(m): 4:01pm On Sep 22, 2012
Opoki: Well, it's a good development if only the health scheme will meet its purpose abi no be ds country again? where facilities are lacking in our hospitals as well as qualified docs! Many rural communities don't even have access to primary health center. I think the very first thing to do is to upgrade our health sector, build and equip health centres, employ personnels, lets see news of foreigners patronizing our health system, maybe then people will have faith in all this schemes.
In what year 'll they finish those projects,foreigners ke!d only time dat 'll happen is when d foreigner is trapped in dis country n their embassy 'll pay 4 d best private clinic here.Let NHIS start 4rom what we 've on ground.
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by dasparrow: 4:05pm On Sep 22, 2012
@Post

I think this is very good. In addition to this voluntary health insurance scheme, Hospitals should also be upgraded as well and healthcare centers should be built in rural communities.
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by Nobody: 4:10pm On Sep 22, 2012
I was part of the survey team that went round the north asking their opinion and how much they could pay per year per head!! Some people said 50naira per person, others complained that we Bureau of Statistics staff like doing surveys and nothing is done at the end of the day. I'm glad this has brought forth fruit, I hope they (northern villagers) can pay for it.... Kudos to NHIS!!
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by dasparrow: 4:14pm On Sep 22, 2012
Opoki: Well, it's a good development if only the health scheme will meet its purpose abi no be ds country again? where facilities are lacking in our hospitals as well as qualified docs! Many rural communities don't even have access to primary health center. I think the very first thing to do is to upgrade our health sector, build and equip health centres, employ personnels, lets see news of foreigners patronizing our health system, maybe then people will have faith in all this schemes.

@Bolded

So you want to keep waiting till foreigners patronize our healthcare systems before you will have faith in the heath insurance scheme? Has it ever occured to you that most people only patronize other country's heathcare system if the one in their home country is not good? Why would a foreigner from let's say one of those stuck up advanced western nations leave their country to access healthcare in Nigeria when they have have good hospitals, well trained doctors, and a universal health insurance scheme in their home countries? We Nigerians don't have to always seek approval from foreigners like a bunch of daft inferiority complex stricken individuals to know when something in our home country is working out or not.
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by Horpe2505(f): 4:33pm On Sep 22, 2012
Great improvement, our mortality rate will b reduced
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by sammirano: 4:43pm On Sep 22, 2012
If the person pay he no come sick, whala don come.
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by luluosas(m): 4:45pm On Sep 22, 2012
This is a positive development.
However, since the beneficiary stands to enjoy the same benefits just like regular employees, then, it ought to cover the same number of persons/beneficiary. I work in a private firm then, imagine where I am paying less than N12,000 per annum, spread over 12 months, with a maximum number of 6 members of my family, covering myself, my wife and four children (they are two for now).
So, I am of the opinion that, it should be readdressed. Thank you.
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by Odunnu: 5:06pm On Sep 22, 2012
As far back as May this year, I aleady registered my big mommy into this scheme. Why are they saying its still going to start and in Lagos?
I think the idea is kool
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by luluosas(m): 5:49pm On Sep 22, 2012
sammirano: If the person pay he no come sick, whala don come.
Oga, it is an insurance scheme which nobody is compelling you to subscribe to. Meanwhile, you can go and subscribe for Bendel Insurance Football Club, Benin City. Abi e no be insurance too?
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by Wsdm: 6:48pm On Sep 22, 2012
Is a good and welcome development. Sorry for the digress! What is the value of this insurance we pay along other vehicle particulars?
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by kinguwem: 8:26pm On Sep 22, 2012
The NHIS is good but in practice it is a waste of money to an enrollee. Most health care providers provide only cheap drugs and investigations. They complain that the monthly capitation per patient of N550 is inadequate. The scheme is beneficial to low income workers with large families.
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by Gboliwe: 9:12pm On Sep 22, 2012
kinguwem: The NHIS is good but in practice it is a waste of money to an enrollee. Most health care providers provide only cheap drugs and investigations. They complain that the monthly capitation per patient of N550 is inadequate. The scheme is beneficial to low income workers with large families.
the monthly capitation is N750 and not N550.
You should report any hmo that is not doing well or change providers
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by mashaun(m): 10:03pm On Sep 22, 2012
welcome development,but premium payment is better made instalmental
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by exalt2009: 6:16am On Sep 23, 2012
Odunnu: As far back as May this year, I aleady registered my big mommy into this scheme. Why are they saying its still going to start and in Lagos?
I think the idea is kool

Good day, please where do register your mum and I need information on this please. Any information will be welcome. Thanks
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by member479760: 7:11am On Sep 23, 2012
Health services should total free, its free in England, Russia etc.
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by Nobody: 9:11am On Sep 23, 2012
A good initiative but
why are retirees not covered by this scheme?
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by Kitomania(m): 9:48am On Sep 23, 2012
This is really good development... that NHIS is expandin... but the challenge here is Quality Service... i recently had bad experience in Government Medical Center in Abuja... where as NHIS pioneer beneficiary more so that was my clinic before the NHIS but to my surprise i went for routine Dental Check-up which the Dr prescribe that i should undergo " Preventive" i was ask to comeback for the procedure the next week which i did but nobody its not covered by NHIS until the technician was about start work on me... i was on lay and set then i told me thatam going to pay the sum of Two thousand five N2500 naira.... i object at first but i overheard another technician comfirming that i have to pay.... which late paid without a reciept the worse is i paid directly to the Dental Clinic Tech.... i felt cheat, this Center is here in Abuja....
Re: NHIS Introduces Voluntary Health Insurance For Self Employed, Small Businesses by Odunnu: 11:57am On Sep 23, 2012
exalt2009:

Good day, please where do register your mum and I need information on this please. Any information will be welcome. Thanks
I helped register her with United healthcare. Its a HMO under NHIS. They came to my office complex advertising this package and I felt it was worth it.
By the way, I stay in Enugu.
Farayolas: A good initiative but
why are retirees not covered by this scheme?
My big mommie is a retired 72year old woman and she is enjoying it already

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fertile Dream NGO Shares Face-Masks In Lagos To Cushion Effect Of COVID-19 / Bayelsa To Pay Pregnant Women Monthly Stipends - Rachel Dickson / 2 Cases Of Polio Recorded In Borno, Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.