Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,632 members, 7,809,370 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:24 AM

Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping (4033 Views)

LAUTECH Robbery And Rape Suspects Arrested / Lagos Arraigns Royal Father And 2 Others For Robbery And Rape / Robbery And Kidnapping Suspects Paraded In Rivers State (Suspects & Weapons) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by Nobody: 5:42pm On Sep 22, 2012
Two Questions:

What precautions do people take against armed robbery and kidnapping and fraud?

How can these risk be minimised /managed.
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by ezeagu(m): 6:08pm On Sep 22, 2012
They can be followed from the airport, the best thing is to arrive to Nigeria in the daytime and to make sure you have people meeting you at the airport. That's the best that an everyday person can do. If they are leaving the state of the airport, they should leave in the morning and find a hotel until they can if it is not possible on the same day since armed robbers ambush people at night. They should also ensure that they have some naira with them to bribe the customs. Harsh, but true. Keep all belongings in a safe place closed near your body and make sure you keep an eye on your ID when they are being handled by airport personnel. Also keep a good eye on those rummaging through your belongings. Do not follow anyone that isn't part of airport staff or is leading you out of the airport, unless they're police.
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by blacksta(m): 6:17pm On Sep 22, 2012
Paranoia [ˌpærəˈnɔɪ.ə] is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion.

Where do you think you are going - Somolia or Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by norrisman: 6:23pm On Sep 22, 2012
arrive in the morning. If dark, do not leave the airport.
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by sheyguy: 6:36pm On Sep 22, 2012
Have your own trusted friend or family member come pick you up in the day time.
Don't you leave the airport at night.
Keep you luggages safe within you reach always.
Avoid unnecesary association in airport premises.
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by Gbawe: 7:47pm On Sep 22, 2012
GenBuhari: Two Questions:

What are the risks (Robbery and fraud) that Nigerians returning from abroad face?

How can these risk be minimised /managed

If you mean arrival, then just get your family to pick you up. My dad always comes to pick me up at MMIA or he sends our driver who has been with us for many years. Try and have a phone roaming internationally so you can call relatives when you land. Very important.

Have absolutely no dealings with airport money changers/touts/hotel agents etc. Fraud is not an issue as long as you don't attempt dealing with people directly at the airport. There are honest currency dealers/taxi drivers et al at the airport but someone not used to the 'system' should not take risks.
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by Andrew3(m): 7:56pm On Sep 22, 2012
Wonderful thread please am expecting more. cool cool cool
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by philip0906(m): 8:07pm On Sep 22, 2012
wtf?is nigeria now a somalia?or is it 'em diaspora peeps tryna make a big deal outta nothing? undecided
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by Nobody: 3:06am On Sep 23, 2012
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by Gbawe: 9:41am On Sep 23, 2012
philip0906: wtf?is nigeria now a somalia?or is it 'em diaspora peeps tryna make a big deal outta nothing? undecided

No one is trying to make a "big deal". There are still many who target those coming from abroad because of the perception they are carrying a lot of cash. There is nothing wrong with advising those who do not understand the 'system' to be cautious.
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by Gbawe: 9:51am On Sep 23, 2012
ftmom: I doubt the risk is necessarily greater than faced by Naija-based peeps. Wetin dem carry wey no dey Naija? After all, it's in Naija peeps carry ipads in hand to social functions

The average Nigerian does not go around with £4000.00 raw cash i.e N1 million. Rob people of their Ipads and you still have to sell it. Crime has changed over the years. When I was young, thieves used to burgle houses for TV, Video players et al. These days, Robbers now mainly prefer 'operations' that bring raw cash. They will hit banks, forex bureau or hit private homes when they have information that cash is present there. With those coming from abroad, it is almost guaranteed they will be carrying cash. No harm asking folks to be cautious. It is not even a Nigerian thing alone. Diasporan West Africans generally get the same advice.
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 23, 2012
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by KokoBeware: 11:18pm On Sep 23, 2012
GenBuhari: Two Questions:

What are the risks (Robbery and fraud) that Nigerians returning from abroad face?

How can these risk be minimised /managed

The only risk face is Customs at MMIA..... once u pass them u sure are fine.... and u'd be foolish to carry cash when returning with all the e-systems available now...... no one really cares about ur luggage....
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by Gbawe: 8:18am On Sep 24, 2012
ftmom:

How many vacationing Nigerians carry 4000 pounds in cash around? Folks that I know, would wire that into a Naija bank a/c in advance of the trip or get it wired to them after arrival. I have never travelled to Naija with more than USD500 in cash myself. Anything above that is electronic and you can have the Mallam meet you in the bank to do the exchange.

That aside, I do not know what proportion of Naijas vacationing in Nigeria have 4000 pounds to holiday with. A much smaller percentage may need it for investments in Naija or a really special occassion but again, those would be in the minority.

Many, many. You may not do so but you can't speak for others. A lot of Nigerians returning after a while may not have bank account and will not want to lodge large amounts in the account of others via transfer. Anyway, no need to drag the point back and forth. There are still many predators who view those coming from abroad as carrying large amount of cash. No one is putting Nigeria down as unsafe but no need for the chap to go around with a false sense of security either - especially if he has been away for a while.
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by Pukkah: 9:31am On Sep 24, 2012
ftmom:

How many vacationing Nigerians carry 4000 pounds in cash around? Folks that I know, would wire that into a Naija bank a/c in advance of the trip or get it wired to them after arrival. I have never travelled to Naija with more than USD500 in cash myself. Anything above that is electronic and you can have the Mallam meet you in the bank to do the exchange.

That aside, I do not know what proportion of Naijas vacationing in Nigeria have 4000 pounds to holiday with. A much smaller percentage may need it for investments in Naija or a really special occassion but again, those would be in the minority.

This thread is in order. Apart from cash, some people coming into Nigeria also carry jewelleries and gadgets which are the focus of the bad eggs that trail and rob them.

There is still a funny impression out there that diasporans 'have money' which is what has made them targets of robbers and miscreants.
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by Nobody: 11:24am On Sep 30, 2012
what reasonable precautions should be taken when travelling home?
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by ba7man(m): 4:16pm On Sep 30, 2012
I know a lot of people travel and return safely so the odds are certainly overated. Robberies occur based on information so there is most likely an insider (willing or unknowingly giving out information about how rich u are, what u are comin in to do and your arrival and movement.). To avoid this, reveal less information about your financial status and try to downplay the real amount you have to people. Also try to minimize the amount of people that are aware of when you are returning.
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by Rossikk(m): 6:42pm On Sep 30, 2012
sheyguy: Have your own trusted friend or family member come pick you up in the day time.

Don't you leave the airport at night.

YOU'RE SICK IN THE HEAD.

Thousands of people from all over the world arrive MMA Lagos every night and go home safely with no issues whatsoever.

And the airport registered taxis are security vetted, very reliable and will get you to your destination, with or without a ''family member''.

SO STOP TYPING IGNORANT RUBBISH.
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by Nobody: 10:15pm On Sep 30, 2012
Rossikk,
Why abuse another poster?
After all everybody has the right to to the level of caution they wish to take.

Thanks though. The last time i arrived at night I requested a hotel and British Airways paid for my taxi and hotel (They caused the delay that resulted in the night-time arrival).

So it is always worth approaching your Airline staff for overnight hotel accommodation - especially if the flight was delayed.

Rossikk:

YOU'RE SICK IN THE HEAD.

Thousands of people from all over the world arrive MMA Lagos every night and go home safely with no issues whatsoever.

And the airport registered taxis are security vetted, very reliable and will get you to your destination, with or without a ''family member''.

SO STOP TYPING IGNORANT RUBBISH.
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by Nobody: 9:24pm On Oct 18, 2012
So what practical precautions should be taken?
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by BootyOnMe: 9:27pm On Oct 18, 2012
Most robberies/kidnappings are masterminded/done by family members. . . INSIDE JOBS!
On a wing and a prayer. kiss

2 Likes

Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by omosexy1: 9:48pm On Oct 18, 2012
GenBuhari: So what practical precautions should be taken?

Nothing please except you murdered someone before running away. Of course there would be revenge. Chief nobody would even notice you. So I dont know what precaution you want. Stop posting craps like this.

1 Like

Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by Nobody: 4:11pm On Oct 19, 2012
What practical steps do people take if any?

BootyOnMe: Most robberies/kidnappings are masterminded/done by family members. . . INSIDE JOBS!
On a wing and a prayer. kiss
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by juman(m): 4:40pm On Oct 19, 2012
omosexy1:

Nothing please except you murdered someone before running away. Of course there would be revenge. Chief nobody would even notice you. So I dont know what precaution you want. Stop posting craps like this.

Agreed.

Security in Nigeria is not that bad. I doubt if people will notice you.

The registered airport taxis are safe. If you have nobody to meet you at the airport, the registered airport taxi will take you to a good and affordable hotel.
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by geeez: 4:50pm On Oct 19, 2012

Some of us travel and return without getting hounded or robbed. If you have family, let them come for you at the airport and carry as little cash as you possibly can. There are ATM terminals that work pretty well here or you can send the money you wanna spend here to a trusted relative who will make whithdrawals for you whenever you desire.

Even loads of non Nigerians fly in for business and a whole lot of other things so what's the big deal?
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by otokx(m): 4:52pm On Oct 19, 2012
The risk can be minimized by having trusted confidantes manage your schedule, also dress naturally like every other Nigerian and try not to talk a lot in public so that your ascent does not give you away.

If people hassle you for gifts just give them chewing gum, never dish out foreign or local currency to them beggars.

The key is to move with people who are not greedy or loud mouthed and not to easily show oneself by spraying cash.
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by omosexy1: 4:58pm On Oct 19, 2012
GenBuhari: What practical steps do people take if any?

This man if you are this disturbed why bother coming at all. Please your irrational behaviour is resulting to an irritation. Since you insist, here is my advice. If you are visiting the north, go with anti-bomb squad and JTF men as personal guards, do not go close to secluded areas at night. However, if you are not going to the north, please keep your feeble mind to yourself and get on board down south. People are hustling their bread daily, except sick peeps like boko haram, nobody will notice your entry and exit. But like I typed previously - "Except You Murdered Someone Before Fleeing". Be rest assured you would spend quality vacation time in Kirikiri MAXIMUM Prison. Or you perpetrated fraud, trust EFCC.
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by omosexy1: 4:58pm On Oct 19, 2012
GenBuhari: What practical steps do people take if any?

This man if you are this disturbed why bother coming at all. Please your irrational behaviour is resulting to an irritation. Since you insist, here is my advice. If you are visiting the north, go with anti-bomb squad and JTF men as personal guards, do not go close to secluded areas at night. However, if you are not going to the north, please keep your feeble mind to yourself and get on board down south. People are hustling their bread daily, except sick peeps like boko haram, nobody will notice your entry and exit. But like I typed previously - "Except You Murdered Someone Before Fleeing". Be rest assured you would spend quality vacation time in Kirikiri MAXIMUM Prison. Or you perpetrated fraud, trust EFCC - they are everywhere and watching you.
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by Nobody: 5:42pm On Oct 19, 2012
^Do not get it twisted the forum is not just about me.

I just want a thread where people travelling home can get some tips and ideas about how to remain safe.

Especially when there is evidence that kidnapping is on the rise and there is a greater likelyhood that those visiting home from abroad would be more likely to be targetted.

I also realise that most risks in life have a relatively low probability of occuring, so i understand that vast majority of trips home would be incident-free.

However it would still be helpful to get ideas of how to minimise risk to the absolute minimal especially for those who do not want to rely on relatives.

@otokx
some good tips.
otokx: The risk can be minimized by having trusted confidantes manage your schedule, also dress naturally like every other Nigerian and try not to talk a lot in public so that your ascent does not give you away.

If people hassle you for gifts just give them chewing gum, never dish out foreign or local currency to them beggars.

The key is to move with people who are not greedy or loud mouthed and not to easily show oneself by spraying cash.

@omosesy1 & juman,
If you reside in Nigeria, do you feel your risk of getting kidnapped is less than it is for Nigerian visiting from abroad?
Airport registered taxis is good idea, how the you ensure the taxi is airport registered? presumably you as the Airline/Airport staff to organise it?

I heard that robberies are seasonal and are more during holiday seasons such as xmas and easter.
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by juman(m): 6:48pm On Oct 19, 2012
@omosesy1 & juman,
If you reside in Nigeria, do you feel your risk of getting kidnapped is less than it is for Nigerian visiting from abroad?
Airport registered taxis is good idea, how the you ensure the taxi is airport registered? presumably you as the Airline/Airport staff to organise it?

I heard that robberies are seasonal and are more during holiday seasons such as xmas and easter.

The taxis at the taxi park in the airport are registered airport taxis. They are safe. Make sure you take taxi from the taxi park inside the airport.

Kidnapping is an evolving crime in nigeria. Anybody can be kidnapped. But I have not read about people kidnapping nigerian from abroad.
So be careful not to be kidnapped. grin
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by tpia5: 6:53pm On Oct 19, 2012
Most robberies/kidnappings are masterminded/done by family members. . . INSIDE JOBS!

i agree many are inside jobs. Not every relative can like you.
Re: Safety tips against Armed Robbery and kidnapping by joey0358(m): 10:34pm On Oct 19, 2012
[color=#770077][/color] grin
omosexy1:

This man if you are this disturbed why bother coming at all. Please your irrational behaviour is resulting to an irritation. Since you insist, here is my advice. If you are visiting the north, go with anti-bomb squad and JTF men as personal guards, do not go close to secluded areas at night. However, if you are not going to the north, please keep your feeble mind to yourself and get on board down south. People are hustling their bread daily, except sick peeps like boko haram, nobody will notice your entry and exit. But like I typed previously - "Except You Murdered Someone Before Fleeing". Be rest assured you would spend quality vacation time in Kirikiri MAXIMUM Prison. Or you perpetrated fraud, trust EFCC.
grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Two Guys Caught Giving Heads In Abuja Public Toilet / Heavily Armed Bandits Seen Playing With Their Paraphernalia. / Boy Found Inside Laid Blocks In The Foundation Of A Church Building (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.