Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,211 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Strictly 4 Physicist And Mathematician - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Strictly 4 Physicist And Mathematician (883 Views)

Physicist And Mathematician Professional And Aspirant / Can a pure and applied physicist get the tittle of an Engineer by COREN / Space In Oil And Gas For An Industrial Physicist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strictly 4 Physicist And Mathematician by Siloko26(m): 6:59pm On Sep 28, 2012
please i need anyone who is good in projectile. My lecturergave us this assignment and ineed ur help please. The questions goes thus
1. A STONE IS THROWN FROM THE TOP OF CLIFF 150M HEIGHT FROM THE SEA LEVEL AT AN ANGLE OF 30DEGREES, BELOW THE HORIZONTAL AND IT HITS THE SEA 40M FROM THEBOTTOM OF THE CLIFF. CALCULATE
a. INITIAL SPEED OF THE STONE
b. TOTAL HORIZONTAL DISTANCE COVERED
c. DIRECTION IN WHICH IT IS MOVING WHEN IT HITS THE SEA/take g as 9.8m/s2
thanks in anticipation and please show working
Re: Strictly 4 Physicist And Mathematician by ironheart(m): 11:19pm On Sep 28, 2012
sorry man, u need to draw it bro, b4 u can solve it. get d diagram wrong n u will get the calculation wrong
Re: Strictly 4 Physicist And Mathematician by SunTzu(m): 12:03am On Sep 30, 2012
Like Ironheart suggested, you need to first draw the diagram to visualise the situation. Then write all the formulas you need.

To be honest, I have not attempted a projectile question recently, though the a and b questions should just be a matter of plugging in formula ( or use equation of motion, you would need to modify it abit).

Anywayz am sure some of the smart dudes on here can help better

SunTzu
Know yourself
Re: Strictly 4 Physicist And Mathematician by AjanleKoko: 7:08am On Sep 30, 2012
@OP,

Seriously?
You're now bringing homework to Nairaland?
Re: Strictly 4 Physicist And Mathematician by Nobody: 8:23am On Sep 30, 2012
Re: Strictly 4 Physicist And Mathematician by kasperone8: 5:35pm On Sep 30, 2012
Siloko26: please i need anyone who is good in projectile. My lecturergave us this assignment and ineed ur help please. The questions goes thus
1. A STONE IS THROWN FROM THE TOP OF CLIFF 150M HEIGHT FROM THE SEA LEVEL AT AN ANGLE OF 30DEGREES, BELOW THE HORIZONTAL AND IT HITS THE SEA 40M FROM THEBOTTOM OF THE CLIFF. CALCULATE
a. INITIAL SPEED OF THE STONE
b. TOTAL HORIZONTAL DISTANCE COVERED
c. DIRECTION IN WHICH IT IS MOVING WHEN IT HITS THE SEA/take g as 9.8m/s2
thanks in anticipation and please show working

There is an equation which describes the trajectory of a projectile expressed in terms of y,x and the angle below the horizontal,I dont remember the exact expression though,it's been a while.When you apply the equation,u can easily get the initial velocity.
For the (b) part,once you get the value of the initial velocity,you can apply the equation of motion and (c) wont be difficult either

2 Likes

Re: Strictly 4 Physicist And Mathematician by Inemobot(m): 6:15pm On Sep 30, 2012
It seem dat u don't good in physics, then why do u go to physics?
Re: Strictly 4 Physicist And Mathematician by Taiw(m): 7:53pm On Sep 30, 2012
@op why not ask ur mates?
Re: Strictly 4 Physicist And Mathematician by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 01, 2012
@OP
The question is quite simple. All your u need are the basic equations of motion. From the question, u take V=0, and use Vsquare=Usquare - 2gs, to get the initial velocity U. Remember the S in this equatn is 110, since the stone hits the target 40meters 4rm the bottom. U then proceed to get the time of flight T. The (b) Part of the question is refering to the range(along the x-axis), use the formular X=UT. I hope i've helped u enough. As an exercise, do the (c) part and let us know the answer.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Professional Architecture/interior Design 3D Visualization Training / First Bank Life Assurance Is Recruitin Graduate Trainees / Typical Reasons For Employee Training And Development

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.