Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:04 AM

Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? (1000 Views)

Before You Judge That Man By His Religion Or Tribe...read This. / How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One / Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Nobody: 11:02am On Oct 02, 2012
Hey guys, I'm in ur mind-seriously.
Pls read the whole write up before coming to a conclusion. I really do mean well.

Anyway we all know christianity is the root of alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll GOODcheesy. It really is. I mean it preaches love not praying for the death of enemies; it has amazing historical evidence to back it up; it is one of the most organised bodies in the world; and it literally has captured millions of hearts, literally.

Most of all it has wonderful rolemodels to emulate like DAVIDO yedepo.

You also have an amazing promise of heaven where there are lots of things in sevens except virgins ofcourse.

In fact christianity is like all other religions combined. And so I think christians have enough justification to say christianity is not a religion but a WAY OF LIFE, right? Fine, i have no problem with that.

But one question pls. Why do people who claim that keep posting in the RELIGIOUS section ultimately contradicting themselves? Why not post in the cultural section. Or have u forgotten the simple definition u were thought in primary school? That culture is a WAY OF LIFE?
Or perhaps u think anything cultural has to do with some half naked villagers with beads?

And I know pple may say that this is irrelevant or unimportant but that just like saying what exactly u stand for is unimportant. This isn't just important but its vital that u understand urself and not move like confused and sheperdless sheep.

And this is one main thing that puts me off about christians. You do not practise what u preach and are so blind to that fact. You claim to be the righteous ones, Gods people, the chosen ones, the only ones that will make heaven. Infact ur lips are no different from that of Jose Morinho. And most importantly u claim to have a divine being right inside u. But yet u pple behave like any other human being, and alot of times even worse.

Then if u are asked in a formal company what ur religion is, u will say christianity. Later u will come here and start blabbing about it not being a religion but way of life. My friends for the sake of Christ is that not hypocrisy?!!

Why cant you defend ur ideology and say u have no religion but instead u imitate a christ like way of living?

I wouldn't question u on whether its truely not a religion but a way of life but I'l tell u that if christians behaved like anything near what they claim to be, heck! I'd probably be a christian myself( i know some peeps who just finished shagging some girl will be like ''ah! I pity u. You will rot in hell''). I would even ignore all the many incongruences.

Please use ur hands and legs to do what u say. Its not just for mouth.

So I hope u guys know the first thing to do?
Oya vamoose from the religious section and head to culturecheesy.

1 Like

Re: Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Nobody: 11:41am On Oct 02, 2012
Well said sha... But can i ask wat religion (or way of life) ar u?
Re: Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Oct 02, 2012
Omo Daddy354: Well said sha... But can i ask wat religion (or way of life) ar u?

''Free thinkers are those who are willing to use minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; whereit is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless.''

Leo Tolstoy

I AM A FREETHINKER.
Re: Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:05pm On Oct 02, 2012
A very tacky generalization ...really
Re: Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 02, 2012
inurmind:

''Free thinkers are those who are willing to use minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; whereit is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless.''

Leo Tolstoy

I AM A FREETHINKER.
I see,am nt against wat u've said,rather i rily do lyk ur write-up... Bt d questn is,y is dat its only christianity u are 'free thinking' on?.... No offense pls
Re: Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 02, 2012
Omo Daddy354:
I see,am nt against wat u've said,rather i rily do lyk ur write-up... Bt d questn is,y is dat its only christianity u are 'free thinking' on?.... No offense pls

Simple. They like separating themselves from everyone else, mind u mainly through words only.
They love feeling they are so special and righteous while every other person not claiming it is a doomed and unclean being committing some taboo.
For example this way of life stuff.
Why can't u just call it a religion?
You worship a God like everyone else, be it the true one or not?
You have guidelines sent by this god and books about written about him, right? Just like everyother religion.

Do u have to confuse urself and everyother person in an attempt to separate urself by saying its not a religion but a way of life.

Besides who told u other religions arent a way of life to the people who have cultivated it in their lives.

Pls u do not have to separate urself from the rest, ur actions will do that for u, not some speaker phone causing noise pollution.
Re: Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Oct 02, 2012
@largerwhenindoubt

Yeah, the same way christians say ''islam is a religion of piss''.

But seriously, I have only met a few christians I could actually call ''christians''. And it seemed natural, not spiritual.
I do not expect u to be perfect but atleast the holy spirit inside u should make a difference right? Just like the apostles in the new test?
Fruits of the holy spirit?
Does it ring a bell?
Mind u riches, success, killing enemies aint part of them.
Re: Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Oct 02, 2012
inurmind:

Simple. They like separating themselves from everyone else, mind u mainly through words only.
They love feeling they are so special and righteous while every other person not claiming it is a doomed and unclean being committing some taboo.
For example this way of life stuff.
Why can't u just call it a religion?
You worship a God like everyone else, be it the true one or not?
You have guidelines sent by this god and books about written about him, right? Just like everyother religion.

Do u have to confuse urself and everyother person in an attempt to separate urself by saying its not a religion but a way of life.

Besides who told u other religions arent a way of life to the people who have cultivated it in their lives.

Pls u do not have to separate urself from the rest, ur actions will do that for u, not some speaker phone causing noise pollution.
If i get u ryt,u're only trying 2 kick against how Christians promote self-righteousness, condemn odas nd yet dia lives does nt show it,abi? If dats what u're driving at,den i support u... Bt u shldnt use a part 2 condemn d whole... And can u pls sight e.gs of those things they do dat contradicts wat they say?.... Thanx
Re: Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Oct 02, 2012
Omo Daddy354:
If i get u ryt,u're only trying 2 kick against how Christians promote self-righteousness, condemn odas nd yet dia lives does nt show it,abi? If dats what u're driving at,den i support u... Bt u shldnt use a part 2 condemn d whole... And can u pls sight e.gs of those things they do dat contradicts wat they say?.... Thanx

I know nobody should use some to condemn whole but even christians do it when they say:
''islam is violent religion''
''any person woshiping multiple gods is of the devil''
''any misfortune, even falling on the ground is the devil's working while vice versa is God's doing.''

Its unfortunate that the innocent suffer with the guilty, but it happens. It has happened to me many times in my life, suffering for other pple's wrongdoing and of course its annoying but there are some punches one must bear.
Just like Christ right?

Besides u cant tell me there weren't innocent children in sodom. But your God destroyed them all.

And to the point of raising examples well I say to u that they are countless.

First and foremost, u preach love ur neighbours and even ur enemies; yet when someone comes to give a testimony of how they were praying and immediately their so called enemy (usually a landlord they are owning rent), fell down and died, u will hear the loudest uproar of noise. See christians at their happiest when celebrating someone's death. A symbol of true and selfless love i guess.

Christianity tells u to be selfless and modest in all u do, to focus on spreadind the gospel through both words and deeds and winning souls for christ not concentrating on any material things, for ''ur reward is great in heaven''. In fact in the model prayer all Jesus asked for was ''daily bread''.

But now u people ask for gold, iphone 5, ford cars, big job in an oil company not even bothering about what it is doing to the environment.

Mind u if a man should give a testimony of how he won ten souls (in the bible it is said that when just one soul is won, the whole heaven rejoices, not to talk of TEN) and then another man should give a testimony of how he won ten million naira; please be honest and tell me who they will clap louder for?

There are tens of examples to put down but these are the basics.

The church was meant to be a community, a family; but now its either just a fashion show, or a psychotic one.

1 Like

Re: Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by CrazyMan(m): 11:44pm On Oct 02, 2012
@inurmind
Permit me to add my contributions to this thread.

First and foremost, Christianity is anchored in love—God's love for us and our response to that love.

Although Jesus did not teach anything radically different from that of the Old Testament, He simplified the main points so that people could not escape into a pure exercise of religious ceremonies.

Jesus said the entire law of God could be summarized into a mere two commands:

Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." (Matthew 22:37-40)

So, the fundamental principle that defines the Christian experience is love—love of God and love of our fellow human beings. So, a person who merely loves his fellow man is only fulfilling half of the law, and is neglecting what Jesus said was the most important part—loving God.

Therefore permit me to say that christianity isn't a religion but a way by which we express our love to God, and our fellow man.
Re: Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Oct 03, 2012
[quote
author=CrazyMan]@inurmind
Permit me to add my contributions to this thread.

First and foremost, Christianity is anchored in love—God's love for us
and our response to that love.

Although Jesus did not teach anything radically different from that of
the Old Testament, He simplified the main points so that people could
not escape into a pure exercise of religious ceremonies.

Jesus said the entire law of God could be summarized into a mere two
commands:

Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all
your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the
first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your
neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two
commandments." (Matthew 22:37-40)

So, the fundamental principle that defines the Christian experience is
love—love of God and love of our fellow human beings. So, a person who
merely loves his fellow man is only fulfilling half of the law, and is
neglecting what Jesus said was the most important part—loving God.

Therefore permit me to say that christianity isn't a religion but a way
by which we express our love to God, and our fellow man.[/quote]

Do you
Re: Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by CrazyMan(m): 8:16pm On Oct 03, 2012
inurmind: Do you
I'm not perfect, so I can't claim that I obey God's word 100%.

I'm a christian if that's what you're asking...but I feel it would be very wrong for me to count myself among the saved. That should be left for God to decide.
Re: Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Nobody: 2:01am On Oct 04, 2012
CrazyMan:
I'm not perfect, so I can't claim that I obey God's word 100%.

I'm a christian if that's what you're asking...but I feel it would be very wrong for me to count myself among the saved. That should be left for God to decide.

Sorry about my earlier question. Wild mistake of mine.

But anyway what does loving God mean?
Is it to follow His commandments as u just implied?
To love is to show a great deal of affection to someone special.

What affection do u show?
I do not mean giving tithes and every other sort of offering neither do I mean going to church.

Can you do to God what you do to someone u are crazy in love with.
Can u say ''goodmorning, my dear how are u today'' and actually mean it? Even without gaining something from him being at the back of ur mind?

Can u feel a light breeze and chuckle saying ''Jehovah why are u teasing me'' without feeling mad?
Can u be that close to God?

What exactly does it mean to love God?
Becos what u pple do is more closely related to fear than love.
Re: Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by CrazyMan(m): 3:38am On Oct 04, 2012
inurmind: But anyway what does loving God mean?

I do not mean giving tithes and every other sort of offering neither do I mean going to church.

Can u say ''goodmorning, my dear how are u today'' and actually mean it? Even without gaining something from him being at the back of ur mind?

Can u feel a light breeze and chuckle saying ''Jehovah why are u teasing me'' without feeling mad?

To love God if you must know, is not an emotional feeling. Rather, to love God the way He desires us to love Him, means to totally give ourselves over to Him-to surrender, to relinquish and to abandon ourselves to Him, regardless of how we feel, what we think or what we desire. It means to set aside our life, so that His Life can come forth from our hearts.

The passage below confirms this...

2 Corinthians 4:10-11, "Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body. For we who live are always delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh."

I also believe many Christians confuse their natural "feeling love" with agapao, which is our "commitment love." And because most of us have great emotional feelings for God, we think we are loving Him as He desires when, in fact, we are not even close.

God talks about this kind of relationship in the passage below...

Isaiah 29:13, "This people draw near Me with their mouths, and with their lips do honour Me, but (they) have removed their heart far from me, and their fear (love) toward Me is taught by the precept of men."

And...

Ezekiel 33:31, "They come unto Thee... and they sit before Thee... and they hear Thy words, but they do not do them; for with their mouth they show much love, but their heart goes after [other things]."

So, to love God the way He desires is definitely not an emotional feeling. To love God literally means to lose self.

When I say "losing self," I don't mean becoming some sort of a . "mindless" robot.
I simply mean setting aside all our own thoughts, emotions, and desires that are contrary to God's (becoming a cleansed and open vessel) so that God's Life from our heart can come forth and fill our souls.

A perfect Scripture that sums up what loving God means, is

Matthew 16:24: "If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me."

2 Likes

Re: Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Oct 04, 2012
inurmind:

Sorry about my earlier question. Wild mistake of mine.

But anyway what does loving God mean?

once again, nyc 1 bt bros, i deduce u're more of a critic bt anyway Christianity wil always be attacked by ur likes... Just 2 tel u once again, Christ is d only way evn dou lots of Christians mis represent Him..
Re: Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Callotti: 7:28pm On Oct 04, 2012
A way of life for 'bungling' hypocrites who can't tell left from right! cheesy
Re: Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Oct 06, 2012
CrazyMan:
To love God if you must know, is not an emotional feeling. Rather, to love God the way He desires us to love Him, means to totally give ourselves over to Him-to surrender, to relinquish and to abandon ourselves to Him, regardless of how we feel, what we think or what we desire. It means to set aside our life, so that His Life can come forth from our hearts.

The passage below confirms this...

2 Corinthians 4:10-11, "Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body. For we who live are always delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh."

I also believe many Christians confuse their natural "feeling love" with agapao, which is our "commitment love." And because most of us have great emotional feelings for God, we think we are loving Him as He desires when, in fact, we are not even close.

God talks about this kind of relationship in the passage below...

Isaiah 29:13, "This people draw near Me with their mouths, and with their lips do honour Me, but (they) have removed their heart far from me, and their fear (love) toward Me is taught by the precept of men."

And...

Ezekiel 33:31, "They come unto Thee... and they sit before Thee... and they hear Thy words, but they do not do them; for with their mouth they show much love, but their heart goes after [other things]."

So, to love God the way He desires is definitely not an emotional feeling. To love God literally means to lose self.

When I say "losing self," I don't mean becoming some sort of a . "mindless" robot.
I simply mean setting aside all our own thoughts, emotions, and desires that are contrary to God's (becoming a cleansed and open vessel) so that God's Life from our heart can come forth and fill our souls.

A perfect Scripture that sums up what loving God means, is

Matthew 16:24: "If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me."

You know u are right. I should never have tried to make christianity what it isn't. And it isn't many things.

From what I can see, your relationship with god isnt a father to child kind, its a master to slave kind.

From the very beginning, its said in the bible god created u for the soul purpose of worshipping and serving him. That is your only reason for being alive and going contrary or questioning that will mean eternal damnation.
So yeah, its really a life riduled with fear.

Then throughout your life u are to go through hardship, pain and suffering, displaying the highest form of ''selflessness'', satisfying all desires of your maker. Any desire of yours be it innocent or not should be cast into the sea as it is considered sinful, selfish, and irrelevant. But all the many and life consuming desires of ur god are clean, noble, and meaningful.
And then your relationship is never truly intimate or affectionate, just coldly objective and blank.
Infact u have no relationship with him.
And so u perform all these ''selfless'' acts without any love or encouragement to drive u except the promise of heaven.

But when u get to heaven u realise something, its still the same old relationship. Its still bowing down to him day and night saying:
''holy, holy, holy
art thou lord almighty"
Sounds like what you'l hear in a gothic cathedral, doesn't it?
And yes u are promised gold and mansions, but not an intimate relationship with your maker.
Infact u are not allowed to see his face becos he is so large and ''holy'' while u are a nobody who should always thank him for bringing u to the world for the sole purpose of thanking him.
Its still the same distance.

I guess now I understand why your god who claims to love you can still send you to ETERNAL damnation for petty ''sins''.

There was never love in the first place, just fear called love.

Many pple liken your relationship with god to that of the songs of solomon or hosea and his wife.

But its nothing near that.
Your relationship with your god is that of a helpless woman with an over controlling, self centered, extremely jealous, bullying, and manupulative husband.

I am sure you have heard of their kind on nairaland.

But do u know what makes it better, atleast he is not imaginary.

Its really hard to accept the truth. I know becos I have been there. But atleast after that u could live a more self-fufilling, not self-centered but self-fufilling life for the good of all humanity.

Peace
Re: Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by truthislight: 7:40am On Oct 07, 2012
inurmind: @largerwhenindoubt

Yeah, the same way christians say ''islam is a religion of piss''.

But seriously, I have only met a few christians I could actually call ''christians''. And it seemed natural, not spiritual.
I do not expect u to be perfect but atleast the holy spirit inside u should make a difference right? Just like the apostles in the new test?
Fruits of the holy spirit?
Does it ring a bell?
Mind u riches, success, killing enemies aint part of them.

really, the way of life should be in the doing, living the christian life., everyday action. Not just a mouth thing.

you talked sense more than most of the so call Xtian i have red their post in this forum.
Re: Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by truthislight: 8:28am On Oct 07, 2012
inurmind:

satisfying all desires of your maker.
^^^^
you have said a lot of things, some are well inform, and some dont.

But please, i want you to shade more light into that statement of yours highlighter above.

What are "all the desires of your maker" that you refered to?
Thanks
Re: Is Christianity A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Callotti: 11:43am On Oct 07, 2012
truthislight:
^^^^
you have said a lot of things, some are well inform, and some dont.

But please, i want you to shade more light into that statement of yours highlighter above.

What are "all the desires of your maker" that you refered to?
Thanks

T-U-F-I-A-K-W-A!!!!! grin
Nauseatingly IGBOTIC!

(1) (Reply)

The Forbidden Fruit! / Rccg Open Heavens Devotion Thursday 6th June, 2013 Dressing For Occassions By Pa / Some Funny Jesus Prank...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.