Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,505 members, 7,819,832 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

Your Boss Sending You To Get Food - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Your Boss Sending You To Get Food (1635 Views)

You’ve A New Job & Your Salary Is 850k But Your Boss Insults You Too Much / Is It Right To Say Thank You To Your Boss When Collecting Your Salary? / 6 Secrets Your Boss Doesn’t Want You To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Boss Sending You To Get Food by Nobody: 1:18pm On Oct 07, 2012
And so it was my break time and I wanted to go and have my lunch... I had left the office when my direct boss called me back... She must have been tipped by my ''pushy'' superior to call me back to get them food. Imagine?.

I came back & they started explaining what they want to eat & how I should put it inside takeaway pack. My eyes became red, I couldnt even eat when I got there & I had headache throughout that day.

I know some people will say its not bad but personally I feel its uncalled for & its as if they looked down on me eventhough I & my direct boss are a little close, I still felt uneasy about it. You know women, they wont stop that act until u show them ur not cool with it.

My confusion is this. Is it wrong for your boss (two) to ask u to help them with food?... How can u stop such a thing from repeating itself?... & why would a boss do such a thing?.
Re: Your Boss Sending You To Get Food by Nobody: 1:58pm On Oct 07, 2012
Well lets hear peoples views anyway cos im confused as well.
Re: Your Boss Sending You To Get Food by Nobody: 2:07pm On Oct 07, 2012
I do not see this act wrong in any way, but maybe that's just me. You are going to get some food for yourself, your bosses are angry and ask you to get some for them too...... Where is the big deal here?! Do you think that you are too big to get food for your bosses? Do you think that going to get food is solely a personal act ( aka each and everyone get their own food)?
Re: Your Boss Sending You To Get Food by Nobody: 2:18pm On Oct 07, 2012
Now Mr Brown... Nice point of view... Thats what I thought too... I just dint understand how one should feel thats why I put it here... On the contrary Mr Brown, if ur familiar with female bosses, u will understand that this kinda thing can become a daily routine.

NB: Pls note that I was gonna go and eat there myself, not takeaway & pls if they make this routine to continue, do you still think its ok?.
Re: Your Boss Sending You To Get Food by pheyikemi: 2:42pm On Oct 07, 2012
If they make it a routine, they may be up to smfn, probably tryin to get a reaction out of u. Jez deal wiv it wt maturity wc doesnt entail doin/sayin things to get u fired, if a nxt tym happens.
Re: Your Boss Sending You To Get Food by Odunnu: 2:48pm On Oct 07, 2012
I help buy food for my juniors in the office. Whats the big deal?
I'm stepping out one would just call out "hey Cutie, are you going out for lunch?" and I say yes. They give me money and tell me what they want. These arent my bosses. These are juniors.
Its all in your mind OP. Nothing wrong in helping out.
Re: Your Boss Sending You To Get Food by Nobody: 3:06pm On Oct 07, 2012
Sorry bad english there; if they make this ''routine'' to ''continue''.
Should be; ''if they make it a routine''.

Anyway this is some kinda relief... So its nt bad afterall... I hope they send me again... Ill gladly help them with it. Im sorry guys for feeling that way.

Could this be an issue of self esteem or a defensive attitude?. Im so much into self evaluation. I dnt shy from it & so this may extend to psychology. What ya'll think? so me & any other person might learn.

Regards to anticipated brilliant responses.
Re: Your Boss Sending You To Get Food by AjanleKoko: 3:14pm On Oct 07, 2012
richarts: And so it was my break time and I wanted to go and have my lunch... I had left the office when my direct boss called me back... She must have been tipped by my ''pushy'' superior to call me back to get them food. Imagine?.

I came back & they started explaining what they want to eat & how I should put it inside takeaway pack. My eyes became red, I couldnt even eat when I got there & I had headache throughout that day.

I know some people will say its not bad but personally I feel its uncalled for & its as if they looked down on me eventhough I & my direct boss are a little close, I still felt uneasy about it. You know women, they wont stop that act until u show them ur not cool with it.

My confusion is this. Is it wrong for your boss (two) to ask u to help them with food?... How can u stop such a thing from repeating itself?... & why would a boss do such a thing?.

Look, there is nothing wrong with it. This is Africa, we help each other out, and senior dey send juniors message. It's the culture. That oyinbo people don't do it does not make us bad people.

And if you don't like it, don't be a chickenshyt. Tell them you don't like it, shikena. They won't kill you. Maybe beef you but it will end there. It's lazy people that want to survive by staying on the good side of their boss that always worry about things like this.

Like Odunnu said, even my subordinates dey send me food sometimes grin cheesy tongue
Re: Your Boss Sending You To Get Food by Nobody: 4:01pm On Oct 07, 2012
AjanleKoko:

It's lazy people that want to survive by staying on the good side of their boss that always worry about things like this.

grin cheesy tongue

Lol @ quote... You shudnt jump to such conclusions naaw. Haba!. Dts too sentimental. Some pple r so emotional & curious & sensitive dt dey wnt ansas 2 evrytin. Anyway thanks.
Re: Your Boss Sending You To Get Food by eledalo: 6:58pm On Oct 07, 2012
Leave all this talk. You left the office and your junior called you back to buy food for him/her? Abi you kindly asked them if they wanted to eat. That shit pissed me off in those days and I told em I wasnt going to get food and took an hour to bring the food back if they insisted. Theygot the message cheesy . Nowadays I dont send ANY of my workers even the PA to buy me food. Why do to others what pissed me off? angry cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Your Boss Sending You To Get Food by Nobody: 9:43pm On Oct 08, 2012
People are even confused about what to say... I cant imagine hw many people have dis question in their mind wudnt utter a word.
Re: Your Boss Sending You To Get Food by yahooman: 10:26pm On Oct 08, 2012
MRbrownJAY: I do not see this act wrong in any way, but maybe that's just me. You are going to get some food for yourself, your bosses are angry and ask you to get some for them too...... Where is the big deal here?! Do you think that you are too big to get food for your bosses? Do you think that going to get food is solely a personal act ( aka each and everyone get their own food)?

shocked shocked shocked
Re: Your Boss Sending You To Get Food by Nobody: 11:05pm On Oct 08, 2012
Guys OP is angry because he doesn't want this to became a habit...a recurrent happening. Because at the moment its looking like an innocuous request while in fact its an order. Refuse to help out and its only God that will save you during appraisal time.

Just imagine your boss expecting you to make him a cup of coffee every morning as if you're the caterer or coffee girl.

It's not right and professional simple.
Re: Your Boss Sending You To Get Food by yamakuza: 1:16am On Oct 09, 2012
well, thats what they have messengers for in offices na? and even the cleaners assist sometimes.

if you have any of the above in your office and your errands become more regular, then you might have cause to worry.
Re: Your Boss Sending You To Get Food by kemai: 11:40am On Oct 09, 2012
professionally,its wrong,no matter the personal relationship you have with your superior if they wana eat then they should go out for launch,that simple...why, because the nigerian mentallity in the office place is,if he can do it once,he can do it again and pronto!you become the guy that buys food for every boss,but if you are not offended by this then its cool, cos sometimes benefits you list expect could spring up simple because you buy food grin

1 Like

Re: Your Boss Sending You To Get Food by Pharoh: 7:28pm On Oct 09, 2012
In some culture it is wrong while in some it is normal, they say when you are in rome you should live a roman life. From another point of view, i don't think you are under any obligation to do such and if you don't like it then politely tell them no.
Re: Your Boss Sending You To Get Food by emiye(m): 12:50am On Oct 10, 2012
@OP, you might need to watch your carriage at work. BTW, are you boyish looking? or have you got a small body frame?

You need to show displeasure with your body language, if the request becomes recurrent.
Re: Your Boss Sending You To Get Food by drnoel: 9:46am On Oct 10, 2012
Well, I don't see anything wrong with it unless u don´t like that ur superior (cos u specifically mentioned u liked ur direct boss) and u are probably thinking she would influence ur direct bosses thoughts about u.

I myself bring food back for some colleagues sometimes without feeling any form of resentment. I would really tell u to learn to relax and not take it too hard on them. Remember, also its ur place of work and believe you won´t want to have frictions there especially with ur female supervisor and ur direct boss (now thats a difficult combination). Funny enough, I have also brought food back 4 a few colleague of mine that I would have normally seen red when talking to them cos they´ve been rude to me in the past.

I believe those two put together can make ur life a living hell if u cross em, so watch ur steps and be very careful.
To answer ur question.

richarts:

No its not wrong 4 ur boss to ask u to get her something to eat as long as she does it with respect and not insult you about it.

1 Like

Re: Your Boss Sending You To Get Food by Nobody: 3:52pm On Oct 10, 2012
A lotta people av helped. I appreciate... Trust me she is nice. She helped me during appraisal & a girl that was better thatn me was fired.

I realized one shudnt cross the path of female bosses... Damn! U need to imagine envy among them at the work place. She is nice and I help her out trust me.

Iv helped her with nice fries before & we ate it together in the office. She is so loving and I do errands around the office for her trust me. I help pick her pc after meetin sometimes but when the issue of food came up I was like heck!. Dts nt right

Well some people say its ok bt I personally dnt like it & yes it repeated itself & dey av gotten the message I dnt like it. They still tried today (u know women) they wud push u bt I stylishly declined.

& yes I av a small stature, thats the main issue I guess & PLS AN ADVICE, NEVER GET TOO FRIENDLY IN A PROFESSIONAL SETTING. BE PROFESSIONAL AND THEN BECOME FRIENDLY.

(1) (Reply)

I Need Advice On Taking A Security Job In Dubai(it Urgent Pls) / DPR 2016 Recruitment (http://recruitment.dpr.gov.ng/) / Job Functions Of Dss And Sss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.