Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,804 members, 7,841,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

Will You Help Me Clean Up The Niger Delta? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Will You Help Me Clean Up The Niger Delta? (533 Views)

Civil-military Relations In A Democracy: Challenges And Prospects For The Niger / Pic Of Nairaland Celeb In Niger Delta Swamp.(oildorado) / What Can't You Help But Spend Money On? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Will You Help Me Clean Up The Niger Delta? by mimifonwon(f): 4:59pm On Oct 07, 2012
I know some of you might be like, who is this delusional person who thinks she can clean the niger delta. Well i say i can with your help. I was part of the gulf oil spill clean up and i know the hard work it takes, plus niger delta's spill is full of 51 plus years of spill deposit, and will take a generation or more to clean, but i say lets start.One of my friends who studied chemical and environmental engineering always told me that the reason she studied those branch of engineering is to be able to clean the niger delta. I used to laugh at her, but last week sunday she came to me with a proposal. She had gotten twenty of her sorority sisters to agree to spend two years after undergrad in ogoniland and help her clean the niger delta. She understands it will take years, but she is so passionate about it, and has decided to dedicate her life and time to it. When i asked her where she was gonna get the funds she said that the UN had instructed nigeria in 2011 to make 1bn dollars available for the clean up and nigeria agreed, but as we know that it will be a miracle if the funds are used for the cause . But she said she is not counting on that, she says that her sorority sisters and her have raised over 1.5million dollars for the cause and that she believes that she can relocate and start the work.I know some of you might be saying this girl is not serious, but she is. I thought the same. What i have learned through this friend is that charity truly begins at home. But i believe that though this is a gallant selfless act, that she needs nigerian youths help. Mind you, you will not get paid for this, its pro bono, but housing and food and other necessary amenities will be provided. Some of the projects that is part of the cleaning is helping the surrounding villages through hospitals and schooling those who need it. I offered to come during the summers for three months to help, so you can help as long as you want, but we just need your help. She is relocating in february 2013. What i have learned about our youths in diaspora is their passion to change nigeria for their future and that of their children, and they are willing to do it out of their pockets if needs be. As nigerians ogoniland is also ours, and what ever affects the nose will soon affect the eyes, meaning what ever affects them will also affect all of nigeria. Having done volunteer works with my family in nigeria, i noticed that the youths are not passionate about doing anything for free, they want to be paid some how, but unfortunately am sorry this project can only pay you in kind, for what you do to help will be a payment of better future for your children, and their children's children. Lets stop looking to the government and start doing something. So my friend who is relocating will be staying in the villages with her sorors and please pray for their safety as they prepare for this journey.if you are interested.. just message me your emails and i would forward you some more info as she makes them available to me. The journey of a thousand miles starts with a step. Please note that more than 15 of these girls going are not even africans,talk of nigerians, but are willing to give their time for this endeavor and hopefully you guys can take a sip from their cup of selflessness and offer your helps probono. smiley

Re: Will You Help Me Clean Up The Niger Delta? by yamakuza: 6:51pm On Oct 07, 2012
not safe for you, your friend(s) or anyone else for that matter.

[s]you might want to look into other causes to support.
[/s]

(1) (Reply)

Where Are Those Dat Were Robbed By UNIPORT Students??? / Free Mb / Demand For The Democratization Of The Nigerian Bar Association

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.