Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,744 members, 7,824,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

How To Convert Watt To KVA ..need Help - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How To Convert Watt To KVA ..need Help (36095 Views)

Integrated Solar Street Light 12 Watt, 15 Watt, 20 Watt, 30 Watt In Nigeria / Power A 1hp Split A/C With 2.5 KVA Generator / How Long Can A 2 Kva Inverter With 2 Truck Batteries Last? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Convert Watt To KVA ..need Help by gabriel74: 1:50pm On Oct 09, 2012
Hello

I need some help,

My Iron at home is written 1200W and I want to convert it from Watt to KVA..I Google online and found some sample like one bellow.
But my problem is i don't know how the 0.8(power factor) comes about. or is it constant? please i will apreciate your help. This calculation will really help me to plan for the numbers of equipment i want to use with my 5KVA Generator

Example

What is the apparent power in kilovolt-amps when the real power is 3000W and the power factor is 0.8?
Solution:
S = 3000W / (1000 × 0.8 ) = 3.75kVA
Re: How To Convert Watt To KVA ..need Help by yincahij: 3:05pm On Oct 11, 2012
the 0.8 is called power factor. you use it to multiply device that have reactance
Re: How To Convert Watt To KVA ..need Help by HWatt(m): 4:12pm On Oct 12, 2012
hi

if ur gen is 5kva is means it delivers 5000watt n ur pressin iron is 1200watt which same as 1.2kva. all have 2 do is to divid d watt of the device with 240v if d volts supply is 240v then ur ans will be d current consume by that device. don't get confused,VA is d same as WATT becos dis formula
P=IV P is power I.S UNIT is watt I is current i.s UNIT in ampere(A) v is volts i.s UNIT in voltage(V) K is kilo dats y u have KVA. OK

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Convert Watt To KVA ..need Help by hunter121: 4:16am On Oct 14, 2012
Re: How To Convert Watt To KVA ..need Help by Nobody: 7:13am On Oct 14, 2012
HWatt :
hi

if ur gen is 5kva is means it delivers 5000watt n ur pressin iron is 1200watt which same as 1.2kva. all have 2 do is to divid d watt of the device with 240v if d volts supply is 240v then ur ans will be d current consume by that device. don't get confused,VA is d same as WATT becos dis formula
P=IV P is power I.S UNIT is watt I is current i.s UNIT in ampere(A) v is volts i.s UNIT in voltage(V) K is kilo dats y u have KVA. OK

this is not entirely true. you have to consider the ratio of real power in watts to the apparent power in va (power factor) that exists in generators.

the real power in Watts is what gets delivered to the load.

for simplistic reasons, call this ratio efficiency.

so the op is right in his earlier calculation.
Re: How To Convert Watt To KVA ..need Help by HWatt(m): 10:18am On Oct 14, 2012
ok uhonmora u said am not correct so I want u to convert kva to watt I need to see ur calculations which will prove that u r rite.
Re: How To Convert Watt To KVA ..need Help by saintneo(m): 8:58am On Oct 16, 2012
Electric iron consumes 99% real power(resistive elements inside with some little inductance), thus if the iron is rated 1200watts or 1.2kW then it is okay to approximate the apparent power to be 1.2kVA. However, the problem lies with your generator. Some generators are rated at 5kVA (apparent power), however, this does not imply that it can supply 5kW(real power). What you need to do is to find out the actual power factor of the your generator or the maximum real power your generator can supply. With is you can estimate the possibility of using your electric iron on your generator.
NB: If a generator supplies real power for a long time without some compensation on the reactive power, there is tendency for the generator to ware down. Consequently, I suggest running an inductive appliance(electric fan) for compensation while using your electric iron.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Convert Watt To KVA ..need Help by ilee1206: 9:11am On Oct 16, 2012
the 0.8 is called power factor. you use it to multiply device that have reactance[img]http://www.forexchartingsoftware.info/pc.gif[/img]
Re: How To Convert Watt To KVA ..need Help by generator404(f): 8:18am On Oct 27, 2017
0.8 is power factor.
Here is the reason for why the power factor is always 0.8.
Power factor is not corrected to 1 because the power factor is likely to change with changing load. With correction to 1, the power factor could become leading and that is often more difficult for the source to accommodate. It could cause the voltage to rise.
Take a marine vessel example, the engine generator set may be designed for 0.8 power factor. If the engine is sized to produce a certain KW and the generator is designed to produce a KVA that is 20% more than that, there is not much to be gained by adjusting to anything higher than 0.8.
Re: How To Convert Watt To KVA ..need Help by bluefilm: 10:29am On Jun 12, 2019
HWatt:
hi

Nonsense. angry

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria To Experience Lunar Eclipse On September 28 / Strange Rainbow Seen In Ibadan? / The Sea Turtle A Nairalander Saved At Chevron Roundabout

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.