Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,477 members, 7,830,403 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

Why Do Nigerian Hip Hop Artist Mime Instead Of Performancing Live At Shows ? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do Nigerian Hip Hop Artist Mime Instead Of Performancing Live At Shows ? (1554 Views)

Baddest Beef In Nigerian Hip-hop / Latest Nigerian Hip Hop / 'Nigerian' Hip Hop Doesnt Make Sense (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerian Hip Hop Artist Mime Instead Of Performancing Live At Shows ? by tundewoods(m): 10:02pm On Jan 20, 2008
Now i've asked this question more than a million times and will still continue to ask it ?Why on earth do most Nigerian "Hip Hop" artist prefer to mime than perform their tracks live at shows and concerts.

Honestly this trend reminds of my secondary school days back in late 80's to early 90's when we had socials and variety nights that boys and girls will just dance and mime to songs of popular artist like bobby brown,GUY,MC Hammer back then.

This is a trend totally acceptable for an average show or concert goer.How can i pay to watch an artist mime his own song yet they ask for ridiculous amounts to perform in shows come to think of it the only artists in my own opinion that will give you your money's worth with undilluted unplugged music are

1. Asa
2. Faze
3. Eben
4. GT the guitarman
5. PSquare
6. Lord of Ajasa
7. Djini
Re: Why Do Nigerian Hip Hop Artist Mime Instead Of Performancing Live At Shows ? by slug(m): 5:59pm On Jan 21, 2008
80% of the time, it aint their fault but the organizers,  mostly because of fear of a bad sound check!!! initially miming was inmposed by organizers on artistes because they didn't wanna risk poor live vocal rendition owing to poor sound system that'l consequently expose their flaws as bad event's organizers, over time it has become a norm that-if you ask me- is wrecking the industry.

these artistes need to clean up their act cos people are beginnig to grumble, the streets are  really getting aggressive with artistes these days, haven't you noticed? in marketing, it's called post purchase dishonance,  in plain man's english: why da hell will i pay 5k to watch that bruva or sista mime for 5 mins. then they walk away with 1m? somebody slap me!!!!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Hip Hop Artist Mime Instead Of Performancing Live At Shows ? by Baro(m): 6:07pm On Jan 21, 2008
Nice thread, nice posts, would be back to post, watching Nig v. CIV match now
Re: Why Do Nigerian Hip Hop Artist Mime Instead Of Performancing Live At Shows ? by tundewoods(m): 6:30pm On Jan 21, 2008
@ slug

I love your post and the way you have analyized the issue at hand but lets call a spade a spade.There is too much hype with the so called Nigerian hiphop artist.

Why do you think Fuji Music is so far one of the most respected genres of music in Nigeria.The answer is simple you have to spit out your songs,lyrics and tunes live for their audience to value it.

As for me oh !The average Nigerian Artist is at the mercy of the DJ's Turntable or is it CD player now.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Hip Hop Artist Mime Instead Of Performancing Live At Shows ? by thegame(m): 8:11pm On Jan 21, 2008
They mime cos they are so lazy to practise and don't know it works better than miming.Actually, they think it's just about miming. I mean live concerts.They need orientation. That's my only reason for liking dbanj and psquare. they sing more and mime less.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Hip Hop Artist Mime Instead Of Performancing Live At Shows ? by slug(m): 4:53pm On Jan 22, 2008
thegame, i agree with you that nigerian artistes are lazy, but that is when it comes to promoting their works (interviews,photo sessions etc), but if na rehearsals, forget it! they spend days putiing their acts together before coming on stage. i know a couple of them: obiwon, ruggedman,modenine , they don't joke with rehearsals. it's the organizers that oftentimes insist that they perform with cd's.

some of them are lazybut most of them are they're desperate! a friend of mine's an artiste manager. many time's he's rejected shows because of the 'performing with cd' thingy only for the artiste to go behind his back to accept their offer-even for a lesser fee! these are popular acts you know! i've lost my respect for many of them.

very few of them like sunny neji, p-square, d'banj, soul e , will insist on live performances or nothing. some of them go further to insist on a live band or nothing!!they're ready to reject any show that does not meet their demands. how many artistes do you know that'l refuse 350k to 2m for 5mins of miming or less?

they've sold their intergrity because an organizer doesn't want to spend extra money to provide quality mic's,mixers and sound engineer/technical crew? "the dj's mic(s) will do abeg? make them mime" lol, that's the mentality of these organizers!

i'm glad you brought the subject up. i'm even writing an article on it for a newspaper called National daily this weekend. it's time we put an end to the garbage. i hope more people comment on this issue. thumbs up tundewood!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Hip Hop Artist Mime Instead Of Performancing Live At Shows ? by fastmoney(m): 5:08pm On Jan 22, 2008
i used to ask myself this question and i hope the 2face thing would make them realise that if they really want to be called international standard artist they got to Bleep the international way,
my reasons are below
1. lazyness, they are very lazy

2. no voice or talent.thing of omotola, raski, geneviv and tony tetuilla perfoming live, i once heard tony singing "my kind of woman" life and i dont dont need to tell yall how it was. most of our artist are at the mercy of OJB jareal including lexy doo who cant sing a good line to save the world.

3.The fans. yes we the fans dont complain alot thats why they keep on doing it over again like thats how it should be done, do u think toface would ever mime in tha usa again? but go to his next performance anywhere in naija and he would surely mime all the way
Re: Why Do Nigerian Hip Hop Artist Mime Instead Of Performancing Live At Shows ? by rrapstarr(m): 7:41pm On Jan 22, 2008
That's most likely because you have never seen this Nigerian Artist perform:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO50Hs-7XBM

No mimes here!!!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Hip Hop Artist Mime Instead Of Performancing Live At Shows ? by AK2(m): 11:09pm On Jan 23, 2008
This miming or lip synching shit is giving nigerian artistes a bad name. that was how tuface went to united states to perform only to be lip synching. they stoned bros (tuface) with the usuals e.g popcorn, drinks etc. Nigerian artistes have to stop this bullshit.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Hip Hop Artist Mime Instead Of Performancing Live At Shows ? by fastmoney(m): 11:49pm On Jan 23, 2008
@rrapstarr
shut tha Bleep up cos that dumb slut monkey was mimeing that shit.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Hip Hop Artist Mime Instead Of Performancing Live At Shows ? by mrmetoo(m): 12:17am On Jan 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62SQFdXv3dI

B4 u guys talk too much. It all depends on the organiser. some provide all the equipment necessary for live performances some don't
Re: Why Do Nigerian Hip Hop Artist Mime Instead Of Performancing Live At Shows ? by zigbo(f): 1:04am On Jan 24, 2008
i totally totally agree with slug. . .1st parargraph

most of the time if not all there are no facilities even we some int. stars come they lip synch.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Hip Hop Artist Mime Instead Of Performancing Live At Shows ? by skingo(m): 6:13am On Jan 24, 2008
Tiawn,
Tabon, Gbosa!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Hip Hop Artist Mime Instead Of Performancing Live At Shows ? by slug(m): 3:59pm On Jan 26, 2008
AK2:

This miming or lip synching shit is giving nigerian artistes a bad name. that was how tuface went to united states to perform only to be lip synching. they stoned bros (tuface) with the usuals e.g popcorn, drinks etc. Nigerian artistes have to stop this bullshit.

for real?!!!lol, men, i gotta get the full gist, pls holla at me with details , that's if it aint that Tribune story, not really feeling their angle, anybody with an eye witness report? anyone?holla at moskilz2001@yahoo.com(my email addy)thanks

lemme ge back to da issue at hand- wrote my article already!haha, i'll post y'all a link oncer it's published!
nuff said, these so called artistes need to up their game up, stand up to these organizers, fo real.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Hip Hop Artist Mime Instead Of Performancing Live At Shows ? by Mindless(m): 11:27am On Feb 08, 2008
If not for Miming Artistes like Tony Tetuila, Dbanj, Psquare would be aweful on stage, except for their gra gra

(1) (Reply)

New: Vector Vs Jay Z (the Video File Now Available For Download) / Proudly Naija- Mailmalc (download, Listen + Drop A Comment) / Plz Rate This Outstanding Lyrics Of My Song.wanna Feature M.i

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.