Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,261 members, 7,818,889 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early (24644 Views)

Zenith Bank Sacks 1,200 Employees - Premium Times / 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by Super1759: 2:56pm On Oct 12, 2012
Hmmmm,who is even interested in BANK SLAVERY job
Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by controlseven: 2:56pm On Oct 12, 2012
"...complete the training programme at Union Bank learning academy..." Does Union Bank train other banks recruits?
The bond agreement is very harsh on bank workers and should be condemned.

1 Like

Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by feelamong(m): 2:58pm On Oct 12, 2012
Dr. Wise:
My brother, Access bank would not kill job seekers with this funny bond. My wife signed that bond in 2009 after training school at Ikeja and left the bank the next year. Guess what??

They collapsed the 2M bond into her account which she already emptied and since then, it has been accruing debit interest. I wrote them a stinker and challenged them to take her to court but yet they have decided to take it on the guarantor who has equally asked them to seek redress in court.

I am still waiting for them . . .

BROS IF THEM COME FOR THEIR MONEY..TELL THEM SAY MAKE DEM SELL THE LOAN TO AMCON. AFTERALL NA SO THEM TAKE SELL OTEDOLA AND CAPITAL OIL OWN.

1 Like

Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by Nobody: 2:59pm On Oct 12, 2012
I have a friend in access that told me something like this, he even said there training is very stressful. He said they train them every week and they do a test every Saturday. He said if one fails a paper, you will pay the bank 2k to resit the paper. He said so he has to get more than 70% or else , you go pay and repeat the paper until you pass it. He said he has signed the bond and if he leaves the bank within 2 yrs, he will have to pay 2 million or 3 million sha ....( can't remember ) but it was an outrageous amount ! I was mad ! Chai ! I lost all interest in applying for bank job since then !
Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by linearity: 3:00pm On Oct 12, 2012
Sisi_Kill: This isn't new. . .they do it abroad too. A company pays for your education and you are obligated to work for them for a certain period.

If you don't like the idea of working for a company for a specified time or having to pay restitution when you leave. . .then don't take their money for training or school fees. They ain't your daddy, why do you expect them to pay your school fees and request nothing in return?

So how can it be slavery where there is a CHOICE in the matter? Last I checked, slaves didn't have the luxury of saying "As much as the whole binding me in chains and taking me to a foreign land to go work until I die sounds like an exciting life adventure, I'd much rather stay in my land but thanks for offer, really appreciate it."

I live and work in the US, companies do not bond you for trainings that they recommended that is part of their induction courses or internal trainings.

They bond for situations like these:
1. They pay for your BSc or Master program.
2. They pay for your professional certifications, etc

I have gladly reimbursed a former employer in the US for monies paid towards some of my certifications. Those certification enhances my chances outside the company and as such, it make sense for me to reimburse them if am leaving outside the stipulated period.

Company induction courses for new hires in most cases are not relevant outside that company...the only inert value they have is tied to the experience one gets from working in that company...any new company you join will still conduct their own induction courses. So asking employees to reimburse companies for induction courses is unconscionable.

4 Likes

Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by DonHummer(m): 3:04pm On Oct 12, 2012
Access should jst change deir name to aluu community bank

7 Likes

Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by basisop(m): 3:05pm On Oct 12, 2012
Adeone: my question is simple,must you work in a bank?

Mumu
Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by Nobody: 3:06pm On Oct 12, 2012
DonHummer: Access should jst change deir name to aluu community bank

Thank you Jare ! CORRECT ! You get am !

1 Like

Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by valdubem(m): 3:12pm On Oct 12, 2012
These Banks are committing aluumination grin grin

1 Like

Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by delvinmaya(m): 3:12pm On Oct 12, 2012
so all we will do is keep quiet? no be because of public outrage, the police and JTF swing into action in Aluu? Lets speak up now
Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by Wallie(m): 3:15pm On Oct 12, 2012
NaijaNaWaa:

What makes you think that the court will exonerate your wife and/or her guarantor from a contract they signed of their own free will?

Things are not always that clear cut. Just because you willingly sign something doesn’t make it enforceable.

This particular contract may be unenforceable because of (1) illegality, (2) fraud, (3) duress, and (4) unconscionability. Of all the available defenses listed, I think unconscionability and illegality might prove to be the strongest defense.

The contract is unconscionable because it is extremely unfair to ONLY the applicant and an applicant almost has no choice than to sign it (duress) because they have no bargaining power and if not signed, will continue to remain unemployed thereby subjecting their family to untold hardship. The contract is heavily lopsided! They also want you to pay if they fire you?

Won’t you sign a contract like the one above to provide for your family especially when other jobs are almost non-existent? But employment law in Nigeria will determine the legality of requiring refund for training provided by an employer. In the US, most states are "at will" employees and as such can quit or be fired for no reason at all without recourse to either party.

1 Like

Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by SisiKill1: 3:17pm On Oct 12, 2012
Choi! Naija. . .we like Awoof! Lmao!! cheesy cheesy

Go to the website of any Higher institution, under the Tuition, Fees and Grants. . .one of the ways they suggest you could use to pay for your tuition is to find a company who is willing to take up that investment and the return for that company is that you work for them for a specified time.

On the getting sacked and still being asked to pay. . .errr. . .If you get sacked, then obviously you weren't meeting up to expectation. I have never heard of an OUTSTANDING worker getting sacked, so you must really suck at the job to be sacked. . .in that case, why on earth won't they ask for their money back??!!

I am seriously laughing my behind off at the so called lawyer saying it is illegal. Where did you get your law degree. . . at the bottom of a cereal box?!

2 Likes

Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by Ifebazz(m): 3:17pm On Oct 12, 2012
Some one else has already called you mumu so I leave at that.
@sis_kill you just don't get it. Too much education actually robs man of his sanity! The post boldened some part of his post. You have to pay for what you get, BUT the bank on its own is not taking care of its own respossibility by stating a compensation it would mete out if its the cause of the breach in the contract. That's what I'm sure the poster has issue with.
Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by acidtalk: 3:18pm On Oct 12, 2012
When I am so so pissed at this but definitely not surprised. Worse things are bound to come soo you all should watchout.

I sent several petitions and even flew to see a particular government top short (name witheld) after someone arranged for us to meet. After laying down the whole thing and the need to act on Antislavery in the working place across Private and Public sectors, I was staunt when this man wanted us to make it a business venture. Then and there, three of us who went to see this man in question were very close to tears. It was obvious there is NO hope for the Nigerian youth again.

I won't want to reveal what transpired but it was clear even the Nigerian government is happy seeing its citizens enslaved.

This very same CEO's of banks and idustries are giving National Honors every year under the disguis that they are employing thousands of people.

Are these not the people the Nigerian youths are meant to stand up against? Yet na Aluu and innocent people their veins go dey boil to eat raw.

Nigeria is Dooooomed!!!
Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by Ifebazz(m): 3:19pm On Oct 12, 2012
Some one else has already called you mumu so I leave it at that.
@sis_kill you just don't get it do you? Too much education actually robs man of his sanity! The poster enboldened some part of his post. You have to pay for what you get we all know, BUT the bank on its own is not taking care of its own respossibilities by stating a compensation it would mete out if' its the cause' of the breach in the contract. That's what I'm sure the poster & of course me have an issue with.
Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by Wallie(m): 3:20pm On Oct 12, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Choi! Naija. . .we like Awoof! Lmao!! cheesy cheesy

Go to the website of any Higher institution, under the Tuition, Fees and Grants. . .one of the ways they suggest you could use to pay for your tuition is to find a company who is willing to take up that investment and the return for that company is that you work for them for a specified time.

On the getting sacked and still being asked to pay. . .errr. . .If you get sacked, then obviously you weren't meeting up to expectation. I have never heard of an OUTSTANDING worker getting sacked, so you must really suck at the job to be sacked. . .in that case, why on earth won't they ask for their money back??!!

I am seriously laughing my behind off at the so called lawyer saying it is illegal. Where did you get your law degree. . . at the bottom of a cereal box?!

Is the comment above directed to me?
Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by frond: 3:22pm On Oct 12, 2012
WhyAWhy: [size=18pt]As much as I agree that this is not right at all. If the legal system in this country is strong, anyone that signs that bond before getting employment would surely lose the case in court oh.[/size]

It all depends on the employment laws that operate in the country. If the clause contravenes the extant laws, it could not stand in the court despite appending ones signature. Illegal contract would be thrown out of court.
Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by Abuklaw(m): 3:25pm On Oct 12, 2012
Dis Aluuminism at it peak,bankers in nigeria ar one of d world civilize slaves,wu ar subject 2 unjudicious treatment 4rm their employer.envisage a married woman dat wil b present in a bank meeting dat ends arnd 3am n stil resume d day activities arnd 8am n yet no job security.
D questn nw is dat d wen wil d bill dat wil address employee ryt b passed *may b afta revolutn take place shal coz d present administratn in d country ar also benefittin 4rm modern slave trade.*
smh 4 dose wu always rush 4 bank job vacancy
Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by SisiKill1: 3:27pm On Oct 12, 2012
Ifebazz:
Some one else has already called you mumu so I leave at that.
@sis_kill you just don't get it. Too much education actually robs man of his sanity! The post boldened some part of his post. You have to pay for what you get, BUT the bank on its own is not taking care of its own respossibility by stating a compensation it would mete out if its the cause of the breach in the contract. That's what I'm sure the poster has issue with.

Huh??!!

[size=2pt]Wtf is he talking about?[/size]

Wallie:

Is the comment above directed to me?
I'm sorry, I don't keep track of names and I am too lazy to go look through the comments (That's too much work for a Friday jare grin) Did you say it was illegal? If you did then yeah. . .I suppose my comment was directed at you.

1 Like

Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by mapet: 3:27pm On Oct 12, 2012
By Business Law lecturer in Bskul told us that it is illegal for coys to get employees to sign BOND. In fact he said if employers want to bond us, we should sign and challeng them to take us to court. He quoted one case where FG sent a guy abroad and he was put on bond, the guy walked away from the useless bond and won in court...
Dr. Wise:
My brother, Access bank would not kill job seekers with this funny bond. My wife signed that bond in 2009 after training school at Ikeja and left the bank the next year. Guess what??

They collapsed the 2M bond into her account which she already emptied and since then, it has been accruing debit interest. I wrote them a stinker and challenged them to take her to court but yet they have decided to take it on the guarantor who has equally asked them to seek redress in court.

I am still waiting for them . . .
Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by solomon111(m): 3:27pm On Oct 12, 2012
Though it pains me to admit it,but i agree completely with sisi_kill.
Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by jamace(m): 3:27pm On Oct 12, 2012
Apart from this training bond bondage, employment has been usurped by middlemen (contractors) who hire youths as casual workers on behalf of other organisations.Despite being poorly paid by the middlemen, the employees are not entitled to pension at the end of their service even if they meticulously put in 35 years mandatory pensionable years of service. It means our present youths in the contract labour has no benefits after retirement in old age.

This is a poverty timed bomb which the govt must act fast to halt the trend.

Govt should please rescue the youths from the fangs of capitalists (contractors) who take our youths for slave labour in the name of biz.
Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by regime: 3:28pm On Oct 12, 2012
ACCESS BANK is the bank that is doing it.
Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 12, 2012
Sisi_Kill: This isn't new. . .they do it abroad too. A company pays for your education and you are obligated to work for them for a certain period.

If you don't like the idea of working for a company for a specified time or having to pay restitution when you leave. . .then don't take their money for training or school fees. They ain't your daddy, why do you expect them to pay your school fees and request nothing in return?

So how can it be slavery where there is a CHOICE in the matter? Last I checked, slaves didn't have the luxury of saying "As much as the whole binding me in chains and taking me to a foreign land to go work until I die sounds like an exciting life adventure, I'd much rather stay in my land but thanks for offer, really appreciate it."

You are right but Banks don't do it abroad and you would even have access to so many financial materials apart from your training. Network Rail asked my friend to return every penny spent on his training though after he worked for them for less than a year

WhyAWhy: [size=18pt]As much as I agree that this is not right at all. If the legal system in this country is strong, anyone that signs that bond before getting employment would surely lose the case in court oh.[/size]

Exactly, I don't think op was made to sign the bond under duress, so the contract is binding.

Billyonaire: It was called Bond, the word Bondage is coined from 'Bond'....
what of fixed rate bonds that gives u very good interest on your money?
Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by acidtalk: 3:31pm On Oct 12, 2012
I have spoken against the authorities let me now speak the truth on this issue.

It is a VERY WELL KNOWN fact that ACESS Bank has the BEST training/training school in the whole of Nigerian financial institution.

After the recapitalization, Banks like Zenith, First, Diamond, Finland and IBTC-Chatered rushed for employees of Acess and were doubling and in some cases almost triplling their salaries.

Those who worked in Acess will attest to the fact that they lost very good number of their staff to other banks because in their words "Acess Bank staff are ready to go" they didn't need much training on their new job and could work under the worst of conditions.

The question is as an investor, will you invest such an amount to bring out the best in an employee only for that employee to leave you barely a year and in some cases few months after working.

We will all definitely consider that employee as a traitor and look at ourselves as being silly.

In as much as I am AGAINST our Labour laws (because they actual don't favour the employee) I won't judge this issue on sentimental basis.

Acess bank have the RIGHT to draft out such bond. Because they have been bitten times and times again.
My conclusion is if it doesn't favour you, then don't venture accepting the job in the first place.

Its like the military and piloting, you have already signed your death warrant even before resuming work.

Anyone who after signing that Agreement and defaults on it should be jailed if found guilty because that is the height of Deceit, Greed and Corruption.

Let's call a spade a spade irrespective of who and what is involved.

1 Like

Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by Nobody: 3:31pm On Oct 12, 2012
Obinoscopy: Training Bond For A Nigerian Bank: An Enslavement Of Our Labour Force?

Hi fellas,

I came across the Training Bond of a Bank for their new staffs and I wept bitterly for this country and for the poor employment rate in the country. The Bond was nothing short of enslavement of the employee to the Bank. In the Bond, the employee is bound to the Bank and will pay a sum of 2 million naira if he/she decides to leaves the bank before 2 years.

What infuriates me the most is that the liability of the Bond rests squarely on the employee alone (the Bank are not liable in any way). The Bank is not obligated to compensate the employee if they are the ones that decide to terminate the appointment of the employee. In fact, if the Bank decides to sack the employee before the expiration of the 2 years, the employee is still to pay the Bank for the training programme and for the unutilized portion of the 2 years!

I won’t give the name of the Bank but find below the full content of the Training Bond for your perusal and comment:
I
it's UNION BANK
Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by mapet: 3:32pm On Oct 12, 2012
Thanks Bro.

If anyone is in this mess, Pls PM me and I'll give you the contacts of my ex-lecturer. He's quite good. If we don't speak, we are digging the grave for generations to come.

Training is part of the contract and labour engagement plan for any typical staff and no company has any right to BOND any staff. I'm sorry am passionate about this.
Wallie:

Things are not always that clear cut. Just because you willingly sign something doesn’t make it enforceable.

This particular contract may be unenforceable because of (1) illegality, (2) fraud, (3) duress, and (4) unconscionability. Of all the available defenses listed, I think unconscionability and illegality might prove to be the strongest defense.

The contract is unconscionable because it is extremely unfair to ONLY the applicant and an applicant almost has no choice than to sign it (duress) because they have no bargaining power and if not signed, will continue to remain unemployed thereby subjecting their family to untold hardship. The contract is heavily lopsided! They also want you to pay if they fire you?

Won’t you sign a contract like the one above to provide for your family especially when other jobs are almost non-existent?
Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by Amazondepth(m): 3:33pm On Oct 12, 2012
Yea dats Access Bank no doubt!its a real pity a fully grown Nigerian Banking instituition has re-invented kinta-kinteism with d Task masters being young Nigerian(Aig-imouhuede and Herbert Wigwe)who themselves were beneficiaries of a liberalised economic climate.after we go dey condemn Lebanese and chinese employers of labour when we are our worst enemies.

1 Like

Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by Shorbeeb: 3:33pm On Oct 12, 2012
Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by Wallie(m): 3:34pm On Oct 12, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

I'm sorry, I don't keep track of names and I am too lazy to go look through the comments (That's too much work for a Friday jare grin) Did you say it was illegal? If you did then yeah. . .I suppose my comment was directed at you.

Count your lucky stars because I'm a little too busy to engage someone talking out of their hass. Carry on with your ignorant comments.

1 Like

Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by ezme(m): 3:36pm On Oct 12, 2012
Obinoscopy:

2. NOW THE ABOVE WRITTEN OBLIGATION is condition to be void in either of the following cases:

(a) If the Employee completes the training programme and remains in the employment of the Bank for a period of Two (2) years after the said training programme.

(b) If the Employee’s employment is terminated or dismissed before the expiration of the two (2) years after attending and completing the training programme, the Employee and/or the Surety pays for the unutilized portion of the stipulated Two (2) years, the pro-rated cost of the training programme plus interest at the prevailing bank rate.

The OP misled you all, take a look at the "Heading" of section 2

you don't have to pay if you are sacked. The idea is to prevent trainees from leaving within a 2year period.

And Yes its Union Bank, a friend of mine got the offer and was really reluctant to take it since he desired an engineering role

2 Likes

Re: Bank Employees Must Pay Millions If Sacked Early by Nobody: 3:36pm On Oct 12, 2012
feelamong:

BROS IF THEM COME FOR THEIR MONEY..TELL THEM SAY MAKE DEM SELL THE LOAN TO AMCON. AFTERALL NA SO THEM TAKE SELL OTEDOLA AND CAPITAL OIL OWN.

grin grin grin

If it was a developed country where the systems work well, Dr. Wise wife credit rating would have been ruined, it would also rub off on his husband if they have any financial product joined in their names. Thank God its Nigeria sha.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Career Advice I Wish I Had At 25 / Adamawa Policeman Weeps As He Is Dismissed From Service For Wrongdoing (Video) / MTN Sacks 180 Help Desk Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.