Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,681 members, 7,809,579 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:33 AM

Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space (6433 Views)

Stone Falls From The Sky In Taraba State / Airbus Perlan Glider Makes History By Gliding At The Edge Of Space / Daredevil Successfully Jumps From The Edge Of Space. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by maclatunji: 4:38pm On Oct 14, 2012
WATCH LIVE: Austrian daredevil Felix Baumgartner attempts 23-mile supersonic jump | http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/10/14/watch-live-felix-baumgartner-attempts-23-mile-freefall-space-jump/
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by Nobody: 4:53pm On Oct 14, 2012
Hope he isn't using style to jump to the great beyond
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by maclatunji: 4:55pm On Oct 14, 2012
Felix Baumgartner Attempts 23-Mile Freefall Space Jump

He is expected to be the first human being to break the speed of sound without any vehicle. That is without being in a supersonic plane.
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by maclatunji: 4:58pm On Oct 14, 2012
Rukemi291: Hope he isn't using style to jump to the great beyond

He has been training for a long time and has the current record holder guiding him all the way through the process. They are very good friends almost like father and son. The risks are real but every conceivable dynamic would have been factored in to make it as "safe" as possible.
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by Nobody: 5:16pm On Oct 14, 2012
Wow. I have to cram the name before i jam it in a science interview.

I wish him luck. Pls let me know if he succeeds
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by maclatunji: 5:32pm On Oct 14, 2012
Rukemi291: Wow. I have to cram the name before i jam it in a science interview.

I wish him luck. Pls let me know if he succeeds

OK!
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by ITbomb(m): 6:46pm On Oct 14, 2012
hope he has an oxygen mask or else air pressure would aid his quick death
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by maclatunji: 7:19pm On Oct 14, 2012
Unbelievable stuff! He's done it! Fantastic!
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by maclatunji: 7:26pm On Oct 14, 2012
Skydiver lands safely after historic jump from edge of space. http://on.cnn.com/QCNIrj
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by maclatunji: 7:44pm On Oct 14, 2012
Daredevil skydiver jumps into stratosphere 24 miles over New Mexico

An Austrian daredevil leapt into the stratosphere on Sunday from a balloon flying 24 miles above the planet in an attempt to break the sound barrier.

Cheers broke out as Felix Baumgartner, 43, jumped from a tiny shelf outside the 11-by-8-foot (3.3-by-2.4 meter) fiberglass and acrylic capsule that was carried to 128,000 feet by an enormous balloon.

"We love you Felix!" screamed the crowd as he plunged through the stratosphere.

"My visor is fogging up," he gasped over the radio and he fell through the air moments before his parachute opened to the applause of the crowd on the ground, including his teary-eyed mother, father and girlfriend, watching on monitors miles below.

He landed about 10 minutes later, having broken the world record for the highest altitude jump by a skydiver, sponsors said.

As he prepared to jump from the pressurized capsule, Baumgartner went through a checklist of 40 items with project adviser Joe Kittinger, holder of a 19-mile high altitude parachute jump record that Baumgartner hopes to smash.

He checked through an equipment list from his seat and expressed concern that his astronaut-like helmet was not heating properly.

"This is very serious, Joe," said Baumgartner as the capsule, designed to remain at 55 degrees Fahrenheit ascended in skies where temperatures were expected to plunge below -91.8 F (-67.8 C), according to the project's website. "Sometimes it's getting foggy when I exhale. ... I do not feel heat."

Baumgartner's ascent into the stratosphere took about 2 1/2 hours.

The 30 million-cubic-foot (850,000-cubic-metre) plastic balloon, is about one-tenth the thickness of a Ziploc bag, or roughly as thin as a dry cleaner bag.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/14/us-usa-space-skydive-idUSBRE89C0JN20121014
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by maclatunji: 7:48pm On Oct 14, 2012
We have to wait for confirmation on whether Felix broke the speed of sound record whilst falling. I hope he did.
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by Nobody: 8:59pm On Oct 14, 2012
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by Nobody: 9:52pm On Oct 14, 2012
Wow. That's remarkable. Thanks
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by maclatunji: 10:13pm On Oct 14, 2012
chaircover: I missed it.

What happened to the balloon that transported him up?

The capsule he was in was detached from the balloon and parachuted back to earth, the capsule contains loads of footage and valuable data that we should start getting in the next few days
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by maclatunji: 10:25pm On Oct 14, 2012
Yeah! He broke the speed of sound barrier. Wow! I watched it live, I can hopefully tell my grandchildren about it someday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9608084/Felix-Baumgartner-breaks-speed-of-sound.html
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by maclatunji: 8:29am On Oct 15, 2012
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by Afam4eva(m): 10:40am On Oct 15, 2012
is there a chance that he could have died? People dey take risk sha. I never knew the distance from space was that short.
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by Bawss1(m): 10:43am On Oct 15, 2012
An amazing feat in and by itself.

Other than that a pointless risk
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by amiskurie(m): 10:43am On Oct 15, 2012
Kudos to Red-bull...
U need to see hw is girl welcomes him.
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by AjanleKoko: 10:57am On Oct 15, 2012
Mach 1.24. Impressive.
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by safarigirl(f): 10:59am On Oct 15, 2012
OK....so one man puts his name on the record books, and thousands others clap for him and go home their same old selves, it's not like Guiness Book of Records will go "Safarigirl made a comment on this historic feat" when it's added, so.....off to break a record of my own...MOST AMOUNT OF MOI-MOI CONSUMED UNDER A MINUTE...wish me luck wink

2 Likes

Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by Nobody: 10:59am On Oct 15, 2012
I'm searching for a way to jump to d planet of diamonds...
Him dey jump back to earth!
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by OkwaIfugo(m): 11:04am On Oct 15, 2012
When do we have this spirit to break records in Nigeria. when....
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by maclatunji: 11:04am On Oct 15, 2012
safarigirl: OK....so one man puts his name on the record books, and thousands others clap for him and go home their same old selves, it's not like Guiness Book of Records will go "Safarigirl made a comment on this historic feat" when it's added, so.....off to break a record of my own...MOST AMOUNT OF MOI-MOI CONSUMED UNDER A MINUTE...wish me luck wink

Good luck! I dey behind your record-breaking attempt. grin
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by maclatunji: 11:05am On Oct 15, 2012
AjanleKoko: Mach 1.24. Impressive.

No unimpressive... tongue
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by GhostFaceKiller: 11:09am On Oct 15, 2012
white people
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by maclatunji: 11:09am On Oct 15, 2012
God knows I love this picture. Unlimited joy!

Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by LeStylo: 11:29am On Oct 15, 2012
OkwaIfugo: When do we have this spirit to break records in Nigeria. when....
How dare you say that! Just for the records, Nigeria is only second to China in the purchase of private luxury jets. Yes Nigeria! Ahead of South Africa, Russia, Saudi, UAE, Brazil, S.Korea even America!
Is that no record?

1 Like

Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by maclatunji: 11:33am On Oct 15, 2012
Le Stylo:
How dare you say that! Just for the records, Nigeria is only second to China in the purchase of private luxury jets. Yes Nigeria! Ahead of South Africa, Russia, Saudi, UAE, Brazil, S.Korea even America!
Is that no record?

Just like the one of being the No.1 importer of generator sets in the world.

By the way, Nigeria is the No.1 producer of Cassava in the world! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!! grin cheesy grin
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by boyprodigy(m): 11:56am On Oct 15, 2012
Great men do what ordinary men won't do.superb feat.
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by buchibabe: 11:57am On Oct 15, 2012
NA only bad bad tins nigeria dey breake record for.
Re: Felix Baumgartner Free-Falls From The Edge Of Space by dabrake(m): 12:05pm On Oct 15, 2012
a perfect diver. . .
he will do well in a barcelona jersey. pedro, busquets, watch your back

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Code For MTN Free Calls For International Calls / Nigeria Ranks 114 Out Of 128 In Innovation Index 2016 / How To Set Up A Power Inverter.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.