Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:40 AM

Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? (5633 Views)

Bella Rose’s Got The Flow, Inspiration FM Retain Her Flame:http://bradiovision.b / Amber Rose Is The New Face Of Smirnoff Vodka / Tupac-A Rose That Grew From Concrete (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jan 22, 2008
Hey y'all,

Seal's KISS FROM A ROSE is still one the greatest tracks done by a 9ja related person, I love the song (I love all his songs ~ I think!!??) but just can't wrap my brain around its true meaning,

pls give it a shot, the lyrics are below, just a few lines so I feel your view, 10x

Seal - Kiss From A Rose

There used to be a greying tower alone on the sea.
You became the light on the dark side of me.
Love remained a drug that's the high and not the pill.

But did you know,
That when it snows,
My eyes become large and,
The light that you shine can be seen.

Baby,
I might compare you to a kiss from a rose on the grave.
Ooh,
The more I get of you
Stranger it feels, yeah.
And now that your rose is in bloom,
A light hits the gloom on the grave.

There is so much a man can tell you,
So much he can say.

You remain,
My power, my pleasure, my pain.
Baby, to me you're like a growing addiction that I can't deny
Won't you tell me is that healthy, baby?

But did you know,
That when it snows,
My eyes become large and the light that you shine can be seen.

Baby,
I might compare you to a kiss from a rose on the grave.
Ooh, the more I get of you
stranger it feels, yeah.

Now that your rose is in bloom.
A light hits the gloom on the grave,

I've been kissed by a rose on the grave,
I've been kissed by a rose
, And if I should fall, at all
I've been kissed by a rose

There is so much a man can tell you,
So much he can say.

You remain
My power, my pleasure, my pain.

To me you're like a growing addiction that I can't deny
Won't you tell me is that healthy, baby.

But did you know,
That when it snows,
My eyes become large and,
the light that you shine can be seen.

Baby,
I might compare you to a kiss from a rose on the grave,
Stranger it feels, yeah

Now that your rose is in bloom,
A light hits the gloom on the grave.

Yes I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the grave.
stranger it feels, yeah.

A light hits the gloom on the grave,

A light hits the gloom on the grave
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by seguno2: 10:25am On Jan 23, 2008
I also wonder every now & then when I listen to the song. I think you should google seal and the song and see what you get.
You may check the following links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiss_from_a_Rose
http://www.seal.com/

None of these two links provide the answer to "What Rose" and maybe someday Seal will do or leave the mystery as a trade secret wink
Maybe someone else might have the link to the answer.
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by Nobody: 10:56am On Jan 23, 2008
thanks for d links (seguno)

i found some rather interesting views at this link - -

http://www.songcrossfire.com/seal-kiss_from_a_rose.php
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by zigbo(f): 1:17am On Jan 24, 2008
una get time o
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by seguno2: 8:20am On Jan 24, 2008
@zigbo,

have you heard a word called "hobby"
Moreover have you sat in an English Literature class having to interpret/give meaning to a poem that you did not write

@ jon,

thanks for the link, interesting debate but I'm sure Seal, who wrote the song, is the only one who can say what he meant. I doubt he will, especially if it expresses the darker fantasy side of him, which BTW we all have only we usually don't express it (bottled up?)
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by Nobody: 8:27am On Jan 24, 2008
@Zigbo with a lil' beef in mind,

i can imagine u went thru d links above, read some of the shit there, came back to nairaland and wrote the **** **** above! haba, dats not ladylike
"dats if u'r a lady?!?!?" LOL, seems to me you have more time than maself! seguno wat say ye?
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by zigbo(f): 9:13pm On Jan 31, 2008
dude, truth is i dint bother going through it. i don't care if u think i'm a he she but i can tell u now u ve more time than i do so u can go ahead nd keep analyzing "the roses" while i move on, hola grin

nb; no beef in my own case wink
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Feb 01, 2008
Z dear, just say u don't have an idea wat we r (or seal is) talkin abt in the song, it's a lot simpler to admit it than to try pickn up a fight, pleeeeeeeeeeease move on to some thread with somethin' "simpler"!!!
I understand ur pain! tongue
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by zigbo(f): 1:26am On Feb 02, 2008
ok! dude i dint rily wana elaborate on why i thot this your thing was pointless.uhm it seems to me that u want a debate,well i will go out of my way nd attempt to respond.

First and foremost the thread said "What rose?": isnt it obvious enough that he was reffering to a lady cuzz obv he's nt gay or a lover
                                                         evidence: i might compare you to a kiss from a rose on the grave.

the "you" there means he is referring to a human being Mr wise guy ope u'll stop asking wat rose. .lol.

So, is there any line u still can't wrap your brain around inna the lyrics? i can  be your tutor for now wink . . .
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by Nobody: 3:41am On Feb 02, 2008
seals great, got so much talent for a nigerian
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by Nobody: 8:57am On Feb 04, 2008
@ Zigbo
just wen i get thinkn u can't say anythn worse u "outdo" urself!!! for a "UK" dweller I sure expect a broader sense of reasoning from U!!!

"what rose?" - dat part was to get y'all interested!!
"wrap ma brain around??" dat part was about "the true meaning of the song" not "any line inna d lyrics"!?!? i.e (for the shallow minded) wat d artist was really referring to, which is quite obviously deeper than "referring to a lady or lover"!?!

So smart ass tutor Z darlyn, do u have a "simple" explanation for the [/b][/i]greying tower, the eyes that become large, the grave, ?!?!?!?"[b][i]
even if its dis once, GET UR MIND OFF SEX AND RELATIONSHIPS!!! u just might see wat I'm sayin, and for the records I DDNT ASK U FOR A DEBATE!! NEITHER DID I ASK UR OPINION on the pointlessness of this!!
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by aydotcome: 4:18pm On Feb 05, 2008
i love seal track "kiss from a rose".but check out lighthouse family track. "i wish".
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by Nobody: 9:01am On Feb 06, 2008
@ay
na wa ! u dey work for SKYE BANK "I wish", cool song, but not d topic hia (no hard feelings sha),

can somebody please say smthn with a semblance of an interpretation?? sad
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by zigbo(f): 12:58am On Feb 09, 2008
jon adoga:

@ Zigbo
just when i get thinkn u can't say anythn worse u "outdo" yourself!!! for a "UK" dweller I sure expect a broader sense of reasoning from You!!!

"what rose?" - that part was to get y'all interested!!
"wrap ma brain around??" that part was about "the true meaning of the song" not "any line inna d lyrics"!?!? i.e (for the shallow minded) what d artist was really referring to, which is quite obviously deeper than "referring to a lady or lover"!?!

So smart ass tutor Z darlyn, do u have a "simple" explanation for the [/b][/i]greying tower, the eyes that become large, the grave, ?!?!?!?"[b][i]
even if its this once, GET UR MIND OFF SEX AND RELATIONSHIPS!!! u just might see what I'm sayin, and for the records I DDNT ASK You FOR A DEBATE!! NEITHER DID I ASK UR OPINION on the pointlessness of this!!

are u that  lipsrsealed,what was that phrase about. where do u think "uk" is? sixth heaven? what a pity, get enlightened man  embarassed
u ve managed to get bout 2 people or there about interested with your very attractive "what rose" lmfao. . .

on the song: dude i really expect you to use your head but u adamantly refuse,nywyz let me still attempt to put u through.

FOR THE SIMPLE EXPLANATIONS

greying tower alone on the sea - A sea is lonely when the clouds above it are grey.so there he was referring a time he use to be lonely.  cry tongue

eyes becoming larger - remb. he said you became the light. . . he also says that "when it snows my eyes becomes larger" that simply means that even when there are downs eg. grey towers/skies, snow etc that light u brought still shines out of me

grave: i should think that by now u must ve realized that the song is ironic, i.e in as much as a rose is pretty nd all, it comin from a grave its uhmm (I'm going to let u use your head on that) and apart from that,that rose aint gon be there 4 eva its gona suddenly die out sooner or later. its also makes it clear remb.its his power, his pleasure and his pain. .  lol

at this point u should be able to summarise the meaning of the song.

my dear,u can go and tell seal to eradicate both sex and relationship from his mind and re-sing that song this time thinking of something, in your words deeper. .lol i wonder,what cud be deeper

gota run,i ve got other topics to visit aii tongue
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by Nobody: 10:04am On Feb 11, 2008
@Z Darlyn,
i find masself wondering why u keep comin back to such an uninteresting thread?!?

Correction dear: everyone has a private interpretation for everything, it's often called an "opinion" or "view" u know?!!? (don't think so)

(Zigbo: dude i really expect you to use your head but u adamantly refuse,nywyz let me still attempt to put u through)
u don't put ppl thru eh?!? once upon a time i wanted "normal" people to air their differing views on a very nice and successful song,
"just a few lines so I feel your view, 10x"

BUT ALONG CAME A SILLY WOLF CALLED Z TRYIN TO BLOW D HAUS DOWN!!! B**** PLS GO GET A LIFE! (i understand u need all d rantin' to stay high, sorry bout dat)
as for ur "simple" explanation, i think its just dat -- "SIMPLE" !!
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by ayettymama(f): 1:49pm On Feb 11, 2008
zigbo ur chatting shit

well in a graveyard the atmospeher is eerie and creepy, so when a rose is planted it brings back happiness and love, a great thing, so he compares the lady to a kiss from a rose on a grave.
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by tpia: 4:46pm On Feb 12, 2008
Its an interesting but strange song.

It seems rather gothic as well, imo.

I think the rose from the grave might be a past love who died or whose memory is dead to him ( bitter memories he doesnt like thinking about).

People place flowers on graves in memory of their loved ones.

the new love interest is the current rose- the rose in bloom. Also sounds like he's talking about seeing a ghost in the graveyard. And maybe spirit possession/reincarnation.

It could also mean he thought he was dead to love but the woman revived his frozen emotions.

creepy lyrics but great song. Could be New Age, I suppose.

the opening and closing scenes in the video  show Seal standing on a graffiti covered street- signs of gang turf and activity. In the opening scene, he's alone while in the closing scene he's with his girlfriend, who is dancing and also looks gothic.
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by Gamine(f): 4:50pm On Feb 12, 2008
The Rose is the Lady

Haba!
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by tpia: 5:00pm On Feb 12, 2008
the lyrics are poetry set to music.

Full of symbolism and open to various interpretations.
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by zigbo(f): 12:21am On Feb 13, 2008
Gamine:

The Rose is the Lady

Haba!
thank you, help me tell him. . .

ayettymama:

zigbo your chatting shit

well in a graveyard the atmospeher is eerie and creepy, so when a rose is planted it brings back happiness and love, a great thing, so he compares the lady to a kiss from a rose on a grave.

who is this one puleeze,give me a break and yo! don't be refering to me in your replies. to the side if u don't mind undecided

jon adoga:

@Z Darlyn,
i find masself wondering why u keep comin back to such an uninteresting thread?!?

Correction dear: everyone has a private interpretation for everything, it's often called an "opinion" or "view" u know?!!? (don't think so)

(Zigbo: dude i really expect you to use your head but u adamantly refuse,nywyz let me still attempt to put u through)
u don't put people through eh?!? once upon a time i wanted "normal" people to air their differing views on a very nice and successful song,
"just a few lines so I feel your view, 10x"

BUT ALONG CAME A SILLY WOLF CALLED Z TRYIN TO BLOW D HAUS DOWN!!! B**** PLS GO GET A LIFE! (i understand u need all d rantin' to stay high, sorry bout that) as for your "simple" explanation, i think its just that -- "SIMPLE" !!

this is turning insultive and i'm nt about to sit back and watch some nobody insult me over d internet. you are a complete nutter,i don't understand how kiss from a rose suddenly makes seal the micheal angelo of poetry, the whole song and basis of the song was freaking clear,i dunn0 it might be a case of illiteracy or perhaps attention seeking cuzz rily  undecidedare u serious

lest i forget, the wolf thing was so damn lame.i mean is that the best u could come up with,rily?lol. .  nywyz i understand that some are more equall than others, its no wonder u don't understand the simplest expressions. . .

if you saw this piece u'll prolly need to create a whole new soft ware for it not only a website undecided

[center]Who is typing on the void? Too many stories
The twlve stones
hitting the clock face
12 swans flying out of winter
tongues in the night describe gleams of light
blind bells, cry out for some absent
entering the room you see that jester's entered winter
leaving behind flame[/center]

I bet u know that i dint form that,i actually saw it on a big poster on my way out 2day. it was written in japanese and translated to english. meanwhile don't bother i don't xpect u to be able to explain that "simply"
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by Nobody: 9:35am On Feb 13, 2008
@ tpia

tanks ma dear, that was d whole point; to create a beautiful collage from the myriad of possible interpretations!!!
, hopefully i may achieve that when certain "WOLVES STOP HOWLING!"

@Z,

first i tot u just had a love for ranting, now i know it's an obsession and u just can't help yourself  cry
, where da hec did u get that poorly translated sh** u posted?!?! , won't take u up on that though,
as for being a nutcase; "DARLYN DATS WAT I DO!!!" eva wondered why ma line reads "willfully insane?!?"

Here's good advice: get a copy of "Constellations of Thought" it's my anthology of poems and essays, u just might get a peep into ma world of thought
hit http://www.amazon.co.uk/Constellations-Thought-Jon-Adoga/dp/1934360538/ or check out Barnes & Noble (i'm assuming u in the uk, lol), before u're done the second collection "Dead, Buried & Kicking" should be ready, I'll send u a free copy of dat one!

, attention seeking?!?! illiteracy !?!? michael angelo of poetry ?!?!? girl!! ur mind works in a rather strange way!!

kiss
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by zigbo(f): 10:45pm On Feb 13, 2008
yo, if u think i care enough to go thru those links undecided then u must be having a laugh. dude! u need a reality check, no one or atleast i dont give a s*** what ur constellations are, i mean. . lol. . i cudnt freaking careless wat u stood for. i wonder, which are u, dog or bitch? ur bark is sure gettin louder and thats kind@ embarrasing . . .4u, cuzz it seems u'r argueing with ur self undecided
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by Nobody: 8:38am On Feb 14, 2008
Z Z Z Z Zigbo,

for once u got somthn' right - - I AM HAVIN A GUUUUD LAUFF grin - - just made a cool 10,000 off ur ass (a friend placed a bet that u'd pull out of this "HOWLING" before making a fool of urself, HOW WRONG HE WAS?!? LOL)

I can also bet my left leg that u hit my link to Amazon (surprised eh?!?)., some of us have better hobbies dan visiting "who is ur ugliest artist" threads! lol i see u have smthn against seal

"argueing with maself"?!?!? wake up dear, 'tis ma thread! i can piss on masself if i want wink, i just dunno why or how i'm doin such a guud job turning u on, grin, worse still how come u just can't leave
smileyc'mon, john, u don't have to descend this low, let her go, hell no, preach, teach, spare ur blow, save her soul, ok ok ok angel will teach her a little, just a lil

Enlightenment 101: Introduction to Intuitive Reasoning (20cr units)

In the world of creative writing (poetry, music, copy etc), some of the best hands write world class stuff by taking a rather mundane subject into abstraction, finding suitable metaphors from such abstract thoughts, then slapping the metaphors back on the mundane subject, at the end of this cycle (which may vary slightly from writer to writer), the work produced bears a slight semblance to the original subject but posseses an air of ambiguity (the beauty therein)
for the deep listener or reader, in a moment of insight (perceptiveness: the ability to see clearly and intuitively into the nature of a complex person, situation, or subject), the original tot or message (or one of the possible interpretations) is distilled, while the casual listener or reader (eg, !),
just whistles along!!

CLASS CONTINUES NEXT WEEK, ON A DIFFERENT THREAD!!! PLS folks d original request is still open, D WOLF HAS LEFT DA BUILDING!! grinwink
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by zigbo(f): 11:01pm On Feb 14, 2008
what an idiot
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by tpia: 4:15pm On Feb 15, 2008
zigbo and jon adogo, please try not to take things too personal. This is a very interesting thread and I've found the dialogue and contributions very helpful. Not the disagreements though. Can we all agree to disagree. No need to ignore the main point here, which is analysing Seal's Kiss from a Rose.

jon adogo, I checked both links you mentioned here, and found them quite interesting. I'll be buying your book, since I want to review it further.

smiley smiley cool
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Feb 15, 2008
thanks tpia, i hope u find the book worth your while, believe me nothin personal with Zigbo (i'm glad she has left me alone finally sha, lol)~ grin, hey stop lurking around i smell u! go away, bad *** shocked

I can't deny the obvious angle of a man talkin' about his lover (, and also about his phalus according to d dude on one of those links up there, ) but I'm a bit in tune with the idea that the "greying tower" refers to a lighthouse, u know trying to ward people off some kind of danger, but the rest doesn't quite tidy up,   ,    ,  , then the "Gothic" angle??

winkj'emapelle adogA,
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by Dreloaded(f): 7:55pm On Feb 15, 2008
Lmao this is such a pitiful thread.

First off Seal has better songs like Waiting For You, Dont Cry & Prayer For The Dying

anyway

a grave isnt eaxctly a nice lively place. It's dark and gloomy. A rose brings color and life to a grave so his comparing her kiss to the presence of a rose on a grave.

Get it now?
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Feb 15, 2008
@D-reloaded
angryhow exactly is this happening, i haven't even finished celebratn one's exit den in came another? , u and Z in cahoots eh??
maybe Seun needs to read d rules to y'all, all threads have more "views" dan "replies" WHY?!?!?! IF You DON'T LIKE D SUBJECT -- MOVE ON!!!! DUH - -HW HARD IS DAT?!? lord av mercy! cry

ps: for the records i have every CD seal ever produced in ma collection, so don't go there, and u can't tell me which track is better or otherwise, eh?? tnx
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by Dreloaded(f): 8:27pm On Feb 15, 2008
dude, get help

I answered your question so what exactly is your problem?
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by nanaboi(m): 7:17pm On Feb 16, 2008
I think Seal paints the picture of a bitter sweet love. He thinks his passion is as sweet and beautiful as a rose, yet unhealthy, marked for death, painful as anything of or like the grave. (I don't think I'm using the words I'd have loved to)

"a greying tower alone , " spells age and loneliness, giving an image of one "dead to love" like someone posted earlier, and whose emotions have been re-enkindled but won't last long.
if his love ia woman, she is young coz he refers to the rose as being "in bloom", and the love itself is young, but his eyes keep hitting "the gloom on the grave". The gloom stemming from a loss that is probably being foreseen or , when I have more time I'l give it more to say something better
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by Nobody: 11:44am On Feb 18, 2008
@nanaboi
tanx yo
- - there sure is smthn bitter-sweet in there, its like a situation dat can't be remedied, echoed again in the line that the/her "love drug" remains a "high" and not a "pill" (cure)
- - speaking of a "greying tower" in the same breath with "a roses' bloom" also suggests a reasonable disparity in age,

back on track i'd say, wink

Seal sure deserved more dan a nomination at the recent grammy's for Amazing!, congrats to all d winners sha
Re: Kiss From A Rose? What Rose? by SifNocturne8542: 12:37am On Dec 24, 2013
Been searching for the answer to what this song means because I'm considering using it in my wedding next year, but I want to be certain of the meaning... At this point I'm thinking of writing Seal a letter, lol.

I just wanted to add that the lyrics are "Grey" not "Grave"

Kissed by a rose on the grey...
A light hits the gloom on the grey...

The only explanations I've seen are either "Ultimate love" or "Drug addiction" and if you look on songfacts it says it's a song he wrote for Crosby, Stills, and Nash.

Nevertheless, I shall continue with my search. Good day. smiley

(1) (Reply)

DOWNLOAD MUSIC: Naira Marley – Issa Goal Ft. Olamide & Lil Kesh / Taylor Swift Ft Post Malone Fortnight Download Mp3 / Krs-one Weighs In On Vibe Naming Eminem G.o.a.t. And The Death Of Autotune (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.