Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,287 members, 7,839,418 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:45 PM

How Literate Are You In Your Native/local Language? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Literate Are You In Your Native/local Language? (452 Views)

The 10 Least Literate Countries / Do think you are educated or just a literate? / Native Doctor Poses As Vice-chancellor In Imo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Literate Are You In Your Native/local Language? by TonySpike: 1:04pm On Oct 15, 2012
This morning I came across this Nairaland thread on the rejection of illiterate graduates from ESUT at the NYSC camp (https://www.nairaland.com/1074812/nysc-reject-illiterate-graduates-esut). The debatable thread has generated lots of web pages, albeit, with trains of emotional and sentimental outburst. For example, a commentator responded by saying that English is not our local language, which I find very amusing. Therefore, I am opening this thread in the education section. How literate are you in your local language? For simplicity sake, I am excluding your native dialects (which are many) but focusing on the generic native language peculiar to say Hausas, Yorubas and Igbos.

Wikipedia defines literacy as "Literacy refers to the ability to read for knowledge, write coherently, and think critically about the written word". Therefore, how many of us can READ, WRITE and successfully acquire knowledge in our local language ? I really wish to set up an opinion poll on this but it seems the poll push-button has been removed. Moderator, please I need this thread on the front page. It is very important!

(1) (Reply)

Great Lasuit. / What IELTS all About / Germany And China Which To Choose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.