Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,461 members, 7,830,294 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:18 PM

How Can Nairaland Or Any Other Nigerian Website Supplant The Big 4 In Nigeria? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Can Nairaland Or Any Other Nigerian Website Supplant The Big 4 In Nigeria? (790 Views)

Facebook Is Trying To Kill Facekobo.com - A Nigerian Website / Most Nigerian Website Owners Allow Their Domains To Expire: Why? / Help Us Build the Best Nigerian Website Directory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can Nairaland Or Any Other Nigerian Website Supplant The Big 4 In Nigeria? by maclatunji: 9:55am On Oct 20, 2012
At the moment, Nairaland is the highest ranked Nigerian-owned website used by people in Nigeria in other words the "Nigerian Webspace". A look at Alexa's current ranking today shows the top 10 websites in Nigeria as:

1. Facebook.com

2. Google.com

3. Google.com.ng

4. Yahoo.com

5. Youtube.com

6. Twitter.com

7. .com

8. Nairaland.com

9. Linkedin.com

10. Mywebsearch.com

Source: http://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries/NG

My question is how can Nairaland or any other Nigerian website supplant the Big 4. The Big 4 are:

1. Google: With Google.com, Google.com.ng, YouTube.com and .com we see that within the top 10 in Nigeria alone Google has 4 websites. It will take some beating.

2. Facebook: Facebook is the No.1 website in Nigeria with estimated 6,685,280 users in Nigeria (Source: http://www.socialbakers.com/facebook-statistics/nigeria}

3. Yahoo: Yahoo.com was the "first love" of many Nigerian internet users and still has a strong user base in Nigeria for its mail service.

4. Twitter: Twitter.com was first touted as the "SMS of the internet" by some industry experts. Of course, it has evolved into something much bigger than that and has a huge potential to grow exponentially to challenge Facebook as the No.1 Social Networking Media. If you are in doubt, just look at the on-going Tonto Dike saga.

http://coolstuff49ja..com/2012/10/how-can-nairaland-or-any-other-nigerian.html
Re: How Can Nairaland Or Any Other Nigerian Website Supplant The Big 4 In Nigeria? by maclatunji: 9:55am On Oct 20, 2012
So, my question is: what will it take for Nairaland or any other Nigerian website to supplant these big companies within the Nigerian webspace?
Re: How Can Nairaland Or Any Other Nigerian Website Supplant The Big 4 In Nigeria? by chemashie(m): 11:18am On Oct 20, 2012
The website is comin up soonest, i have incubated my website for long now. Honestly, it will be difficult for NL to break into top 4 considering the number of users searching information on google and sometimes watching films on youtube.
Re: How Can Nairaland Or Any Other Nigerian Website Supplant The Big 4 In Nigeria? by Jarus(m): 11:50am On Oct 20, 2012
Being the most visited Nigerian website is enough achievement. Efforts should be to maintain that position. I don't see it overtaking any of those big 4.

Linkedln, currently below NL, is a website Seun should watch out for and fend off ovetaking him.

Maybe NL can outwit , that seems achievable, but those Top 6, it's a tall order.
Re: How Can Nairaland Or Any Other Nigerian Website Supplant The Big 4 In Nigeria? by mrperfect(m): 12:13pm On Oct 20, 2012
This an interesting question worth thinking about.
Re: How Can Nairaland Or Any Other Nigerian Website Supplant The Big 4 In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Oct 20, 2012
The position nl hold doesn't interest me. All that impresses me about nairaland is the way it loads faster than the speed of Usein Bolt and impressive search engine optimization. Really making good use of <h1> tag smiley
Re: How Can Nairaland Or Any Other Nigerian Website Supplant The Big 4 In Nigeria? by maclatunji: 1:19pm On Oct 20, 2012
Jarus: Being the most visited Nigerian website is enough achievement. Efforts should be to maintain that position. I don't see it overtaking any of those big 4.

Linkedln, currently below NL, is a website Seun should watch out for and fend off ovetaking him.

Maybe NL can outwit , that seems achievable, but those Top 6, it's a tall order.

Linkedin had overtaken Nairaland before. Nairaland has been on the rebound for about two months now leaping from 10 position to 8 Linkedin is yet to become mainstream in Nigeria. Watchout for it in future years.

(1) (Reply)

I Need Payza Account - Help / How To Buy Goods Online In China / Cheap And Reliable Hosting Companies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.