Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,749 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

What Is Wrong With A Parable? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Wrong With A Parable? (2291 Views)

Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? / [~A Beautiful Reminder]~a Parable: "Twins In The Womb A Lesson In The Hereafter" / Flight 777: A Parable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by tpia5: 4:43pm On Oct 31, 2012
wheat and tares.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 5:02pm On Oct 31, 2012
tpia@:
wheat and tares.
meaning?
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Zikkyy(m): 5:54pm On Oct 31, 2012
Image123:
I strongly believe that everything Jesus said in parable must have happened somewhere sometime. This is a strong possibility. i hold this position for different reasons but i will mention two. First reason being that Jesus will not lie.

Before you start saying that Jesus will not lie, we need to know if Jesus claimed that these events happened somewhere. if he did not what's ya own smiley

Image123:
So, since its JUST a parable, what is wrong with a parable?

If it serves its purpose there is nothing wrong with it.

Image123:
And is a parable a white lie of some kind?

My brother i don't know. You have to ask Jesus.

I remember you tendered some parables as exhibits to support your position somewhere and the opposition fought hard to ensure it was never admitted into evidence smiley e be like say you never recover grin
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 8:22pm On Oct 31, 2012
Before you start saying that Jesus
will not lie, we need to know if
Jesus claimed that these events
happened somewhere. if he did
not what's ya own
i hope you don't read the Bible the way you read my posts, selectively that is? or picking and choosing. Jesus will not tell a lie or you think He would? He is the Truth and i expect everything He says to be truth, do you? I don't wait for Him to claim "I'm saying the truth now oh" before I believe He always says truth.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 8:33pm On Oct 31, 2012
If it serves its purpose there is
nothing wrong with it.
what's the purpose? if a lie is used to teach a lesson, does it further the gospel?
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 8:45pm On Oct 31, 2012
My brother i don't know. You have
to ask Jesus.
I remember you tendered some
parables as exhibits to support
your position somewhere and the
opposition fought hard to ensure
it was never admitted into
evidence e be like say you
never recover
you don't know if Jesus told a lie and i need to ask Jesus! Do you understand the implications of your statement in the light of being condemned or justified by your words? or you just think this is all about Image123 and I must go the opposite of what he says? please oblige me, i do not recall me tendering parables as exhibits on any thread. Do remind me of it please,
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Zikkyy(m): 9:42pm On Oct 31, 2012
Image123:
i hope you don't read the Bible the way you read my posts, selectively that is? or picking and choosing. Jesus will not tell a lie or you think He would? He is the Truth and i expect everything He says to be truth, do you? I don't wait for Him to claim "I'm saying the truth now oh" before I believe He always says truth.

You still don't gerrit smiley it is only a lie if there is a claim that the parable is based on real events when in actual fact the parable did not happen. Being a parable does not make it a lie na! or what's your definition of lie? Jesus did not tell you that the story happened somewhere, why are you bothered? If i tell you that what you are trying to achieve here is like somebody driving to third mainland bridge, ties a large rock to his feet and jump off the bridge (with the rock) grin i don't see how the issue of lie comes in here. We can only consider if it's a lie or not if i tell you it happened to Mr. 'I'.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Zikkyy(m): 9:51pm On Oct 31, 2012
Image123:
what's the purpose? if a lie is used to teach a lesson, does it further the gospel?

I take this one as another (follow-up) question smiley the first question was "what is wrong with a parable?" To answer your question:
1. What's the purpose (i assume of the parable) - It depends on the person telling the parable na smiley i don't understand how you expect me to know that one.
2. if a lie is used to teach a lesson, does it further the gospel? - i will tell you i don't support the idea of telling a lie, but from a pastoral perspective it appears to be effective o! or is the tithe takings not used to further the gospel? You know the number of churches built with tithe money? grin
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Zikkyy(m): 9:58pm On Oct 31, 2012
Image123:
you don't know if Jesus told a lie and i need to ask Jesus! Do you understand the implications of your statement in the light of being condemned or justified by your words? or you just think this is all about Image123 and I must go the opposite of what he says? please oblige me, i do not recall me tendering parables as exhibits on any thread. Do remind me of it please,

See wahala shocked which one be 'implications of your statement' for this one? i've not gotten to the stage when i analyse Jesus parables to determine if they are truths or not, 'till i get there i will not know. abi no be so? smiley am not even thinking about it. You have been having sleepless nights on this matter so i expect you to know smiley
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 5:43pm On Nov 01, 2012
zikky,
Of all the parables of Jesus, is there anyone that cannot happen literally. If yes, which, and why?
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Nov 01, 2012
Image123: zikky,
Of all the parables of Jesus, is there anyone that cannot happen literally. If yes, which, and why?

Lets review the good Samaritan.

If the Samaritan's story is true, then Christianity is not importantor essential. The Samaritan was neither a jew or a christian. You dont need Yaweh or Jesus or religion to be good.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 10:35pm On Nov 01, 2012
this boy, you're just throwing loose assumptions around. The Samaritan is not an atheist. Secondly, you called the Samaritan good, not me. What is your criteria? Also, you just quoted me without answering the question in the quote?
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Nov 01, 2012
Image123: this boy, you're just throwing loose assumptions around. The Samaritan is not an atheist. Secondly, you called the Samaritan good, not me. What is your criteria? Also, you just quoted me without answering the question in the quote?

I answered your question.

The good Samaritan can not be a true story for any christian. It is christians that call the Samaritan "good" ,not me. I never said that the good Samaritan was na atheist

Now, Samariatans were not in good terms with Jews. They had their own religion- Samaritarianism. For Jesus to praise the Samaritan as loving his neighbour and the way to eternal life, this therefore shows that christianity is not necessary to be good or moral.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 12:25pm On Jan 16, 2013
smiley
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 12:31pm On Jan 16, 2013
Image123: it used to be outsiders, unbelievers, atheists that had something against God's Word and swore to tear it down like Voltaire. Today, the enemy has found his way into the fold. There's so much wolves in sheep clothing. They have no goal of bringing others to the Saviour but to themselves. They is no more self -effacing, just a cunning but vicious creeping in. Their mission is to destroy the Word of God. Their goal is to accuse everything. They have every excuse under the heavens to excuse themselves and others from the Word of God. Show them God's Word and what they want to deal with is translation issues and Greek and Hebrew lexicons. They know nothing of the spirit and simplicity that is in Christ. From translation, they delve into testament issues. And even when shown the light in the new testament, the excuse is that its just a symbol, metaphor or parable. Another specie of wolves go on about words before Jesus died and after, and about Jesus talking to Jews only, or Corinthians only. But the Word of God is alive and powerful, and sharper than any sword. There is nothing wrong with the Bible but you.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 12:40pm On Jan 16, 2013
Logicboy03:

I answered your question.

The good Samaritan can not be a true story for any christian. It is christians that call the Samaritan "good" ,not me. I never said that the good Samaritan was na atheist

Now, Samariatans were not in good terms with Jews. They had their own religion- Samaritarianism. For Jesus to praise the Samaritan as loving his neighbour and the way to eternal life, this therefore shows that christianity is not necessary to be good or moral.
christ is not necessary to be moral, but Christ is COMPULSORY to be good.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jan 16, 2013
Image123:

If moral = doing what is good,

then you just contradicted yourself.

Try again
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 2:41pm On Jan 16, 2013
Logicboy03:

If moral = doing what is good,

then you just contradicted yourself.

Try again
you can do what is good and not be good. my bad printer may manage printing a page but still remain unreliable for instance.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jan 16, 2013
Image123:
you can do what is good and not be good. my bad printer may manage printing a page but still remain unreliable for instance.

Fail

Nice try at your reductionist nonsense. This is what you said

Image123:

To be moral and to be good are the same.

You cant be immoral and be good.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jan 16, 2013
The question is often asked, is the account of the rich man and lazarus a historical account or is it a parable? Is it the true story of two men who lived and died during the time of Christ's earthly ministry or is it a made-up story used by the Lord to drive home a point? I believe that the evidence is that it describes an actual history of these two men.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 10:39pm On Jan 16, 2013
Logicboy03:

Fail

Nice try at your reductionist nonsense. This is what you said

To be moral and to be good are the same.

You cant be immoral and be good.

you are yet to answer my question that you initially quoted.
BTW, to DO good is different from BEING good. Anybody can be moral. God created man with a spirit, and morality is simple proof that you have a spirit. To be good, hmmmm, there is none good. You have to COMPULSORILY go through Jesus to stand that chance.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jan 16, 2013
Image123:
you are yet to answer my question that you initially quoted.
BTW, to DO good is different from BEING good. Anybody can be moral. God created man with a spirit, and morality is simple proof that you have a spirit. To be good, hmmmm, there is none good. You have to COMPULSORILY go through Jesus to stand that chance.

Anonyism 101
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 3:17am On Jan 17, 2013
Logicboy03:

Anonyism 101
what? Answer my questions jare,you don hang again abi?

Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Nobody: 4:03am On Jan 17, 2013
Image123:
what? Answer my questions jare,you don hang again abi?

I give up!
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by brainpulse: 8:53am On Jan 17, 2013
A parable is [1] a succinct story, in prose or verse, which illustrates one or more instructive principles, or lessons, or (sometimes) a normative principle.
A parable is a short tale that illustrates universal truth, one of the simplest of narratives. It sketches a setting, describes an action, and shows the results. It often involves a character facing a moral dilemma, or making a questionable decision and then suffering the consequences. Though the meaning of a parable is often not explicitly stated, the meaning is not usually intended be hidden or secret but on the contrary quite straightforward and obvious
- WIKIPEDIA

I believe Jesus had to use Parables to drive in his point to his audience so that they will understand the context and truth he is trying to pass across. Secondly He understands by the wisdom of God that some of the words He speaks are beyond what the simple man can understand and had not seen before. Taking a look at all this parables he uses those normal and things they know and that happens every day in their society to explain what they don't know and cannot see, so making it difficult for them to doubt but can only believe or reject those messages.
If His Parables were lies and cannot be true or cannot happen, there is no reason for him to tell them because He will understand they will know He is not telling the truth and will get them confused the more. So all the Parables told by Christ might had happened or can happen or is happening at that present time.

Dont let us forget there are two wisdoms highlighted in the scriptures; The wisdom of God and the wisdom of this world.
And the two can not be same. The formal (wisdom of God) can explain the later but the wisdom of this world can never comprehend the Wisdom of God.

The wisdom of God is based on Faith,the Spirit of truth and reality, while the Wisdom of this world is based on mere reasoning and logic and only limited to this world.

So looking at the parables, Christ used the wisdom of God based on the fundanmentics of the truth to make an analogy of what is in this world and out of this world.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 1:52pm On Jan 17, 2013
Logicboy03:

I give up!
oh No, just answer the questions please.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Image123(m): 1:54pm On Jan 17, 2013
thanks brainpulse. I'm equally of that conviction.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by God2man(m): 10:41pm On Jan 17, 2013
brainpulse: A parable is [1] a succinct story, in prose or verse, which illustrates one or more instructive principles, or lessons, or (sometimes) a normative principle.
A parable is a short tale that illustrates universal truth, one of the simplest of narratives. It sketches a setting, describes an action, and shows the results. It often involves a character facing a moral dilemma, or making a questionable decision and then suffering the consequences. Though the meaning of a parable is often not explicitly stated, the meaning is not usually intended be hidden or secret but on the contrary quite straightforward and obvious
- WIKIPEDIA

I believe Jesus had to use Parables to drive in his point to his audience so that they will understand the context and truth he is trying to pass across. Secondly He understands by the wisdom of God that some of the words He speaks are beyond what the simple man can understand and had not seen before. Taking a look at all this parables he uses those normal and things they know and that happens every day in their society to explain what they don't know and cannot see, so making it difficult for them to doubt but can only believe or reject those messages.
If His Parables were lies and cannot be true or cannot happen, there is no reason for him to tell them because He will understand they will know He is not telling the truth and will get them confused the more. So all the Parables told by Christ might had happened or can happen or is happening at that present time.

Dont let us forget there are two wisdoms highlighted in the scriptures; The wisdom of God and the wisdom of this world.
And the two can not be same. The formal (wisdom of God) can explain the later but the wisdom of this world can never comprehend the Wisdom of God.

The wisdom of God is based on Faith,the Spirit of truth and reality, while the Wisdom of this world is based on mere reasoning and logic and only limited to this world.

So looking at the parables, Christ used the wisdom of God based on the fundanmentics of the truth to make an analogy of what is in this world and out of this world.

The best contibution so far. God bless you @brainpulse.

God2man.
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Kobojunkiee: 3:05am On Apr 19, 2023
A parable doesnt have to be real. Parables are mostly stories used to explain a point. Anyway, you are free to believe that all Jesus's parables happened in real life. Afterall, you believe in the lies of the virgin birth and ressurection. Magic
Instead, parables are used to make a statement. It is used to provide information that those paying careful attention can easily sight while those who are easily distracted by the meaningless details contained — those who lack understanding, those easily drawn away when persecution strikes, those distracted by the cares of the world — are sure to miss. undecided
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by Kobojunkiee: 2:59am On Apr 21, 2023
I'm an atheist but the good Samaritan was EPIC. That was a good story. Unfortunately, the good Samaritan will end up in hell according to most christian preachers today
The good Samaritan is instead the example of one who ends up in Heaven since he is the example of one who does to his neighbor as he would have liked for his neighbor to have done for him. undecided
Re: What Is Wrong With A Parable? by EastAlchemist: 3:33am On Apr 21, 2023
Image123:
not the thread opening fella but ithink there's a need to talk on this since the value of parables seems to be going down in the market. So, is a parable useless or falsehood?
It’s meant to be learnt by the heart
Plenty of us now no fit read common sentence
Na parable?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Whats Your View On Household Wickedness? / Smith Wigglesworth Turns Water Into Petrol / Thanks, Seun! The Religion Section Is Now Officially Boring.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.