Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,842 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

Can Cultural Norms Be Observe With Religion? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can Cultural Norms Be Observe With Religion? (628 Views)

Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Yoruba Cultures And Norms / Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Can Cultural Norms Be Observe With Religion? by iykofias(m): 6:31pm On Oct 25, 2012
I have a friend who is really deep into church stuff,some months ago his dad died,during d burial rite he was asked do partake in some form of traditional act at mid-night which I feel has a spiritual effect.although I never discourage him not to perform d rituals since d person in question was his dad.but my view was that he was going contrary to his religion which he rebuff immediately saying it was just what custom demands,,,....so am putting forward to u guys,what's your take on this?
Re: Can Cultural Norms Be Observe With Religion? by acidtalk: 6:37pm On Oct 25, 2012
Absolutely NO.

Culture norms and religious believes are Totally opposite in nature.

You will never find anyone who is 100% in religious activities still partaking in any kind of Custom practices.

If you find such, such a person in either an hypocrite or just naturally an "I don't care" kind of person.

Why Culture backs it believe on putting hopes and trust on a god of the lands which needs to have different rites, rituals and appease to be performed.

Religion on the other hand believes in the TOTAL Submission to the Supreme Being (God)
Re: Can Cultural Norms Be Observe With Religion? by ATMC(f): 7:16pm On Oct 25, 2012
What are we talking about here? Religion is an example of culture so? If tradition demands you do a particular thing your conscience does not prick you, you can go ahead. I say this because i know dt there is but one god and everything revolves around d mind so if his mind was clear on dt then no probs. Paul had an understanding of this when he said eating a meat offered to idol is not wrong...as long as an act does not have a negative effect on your neighbour and your conscience is clear with dt, no biggie! Motive matters d most

(1) (Reply)

xcghshsh / Talk On Female Genital Mutilation Or Better Still Circumcision / Misterious Healing River Discovered In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.