Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,241 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:44 AM

Flashing The Headlight What Does it Mean to you? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Flashing The Headlight What Does it Mean to you? (6863 Views)

What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? / Hid Headlight / What Does Tpms Mean In Honda Accord? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flashing The Headlight What Does it Mean to you? by domack99(m): 9:12am On Oct 29, 2012
Flashing of Headlight is a common act on our road today, and this could be interpreted differently by different road users (Drivers and Pedestrians).
Before now, my believe and i think most road users believe is that when a driver flashes his/her headlight it means the other road user should go ahead giving them chance to do what they want to do while he/she wait. And if the driver hold on to his/her headlight bright without flashing means the other road users should wait (this is a very common scenario on the highway).

Just recently on my street where double packing is a norm, a woman flashes me and i drove towards her and to my surprise the woman didn't reverse or pull aside for me to pass and the road was locked up because there were about four to five cars behind me already.

The Woman came down and said oga i was flashing can't you see and i said "Madam flashing means you ask me to come". She said anytime i flash people they wait for me and i told her anytime i flash other road users i wait for them.

That day i realize that their is no definite representation of what flashing of headlight means and since then i have try to experiment this with different road users and i will tell you that people understanding of flashing differs. There was a guy that even brightened the headlight at me and we were both waiting at the other side.

For those of you that attend legitimate driving school i know you were taught road signs but were you taught the meaning of flashing or brightening of headlights

What is certain is that the driver is trying to pass a message whenever he/she flashes or brightened his/her headlight

2 Likes

Re: Flashing The Headlight What Does it Mean to you? by Martini101(m): 1:31pm On Oct 29, 2012
I didnt learn it 4rm anywhere but i think flashing of headlight means dat u re asking the other driver opposite u to have d right of way. This can be synonymous as making the 'come' sign wit ur fingers. My opinion thou

3 Likes

Re: Flashing The Headlight What Does it Mean to you? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Oct 29, 2012
I'm in the "Go ahead, I'll give way to you" brigade although the flashing of headlights isn't part of the highway code. It's just an accepted method of being courteous to other road users or pedestrians. The problem comes when you flash someone, they move towards you and then a car comes out of a side road, thinking that you flashed them. This has happened on a few occassions to me. undecided

If you went on the continent a flash of lights means "Out of my way, this is MY road"...Silly continentals!!! angry

So, I'll go with courtesy on this one.
Re: Flashing The Headlight What Does it Mean to you? by ezenwaone: 9:47pm On Oct 29, 2012
If the persons car is on motion and he flashes you with his headlight it simply means "watch out dude" But if the car parked and flashes it means "i have cleared for you to pass"

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flashing The Headlight What Does it Mean to you? by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:55pm On Oct 29, 2012
here in UK it means am giving you the right of way(out of courtesy ), i.e based on UK roads if am turning right on a filtered traffic light and the filter hasnt opened up but the other traffic light is green (straight through traffic), the opposite front car can flash me, giving me the right to turn before s/he continues straight through

other example in a 3 lane motor way am in the middle lane indicating to go into the 1st lane, the car behind me can flash me, meaning its safe for me to get in front of him/her, s/he will reduce speed for me to accomodate me in front of him/her

1 Like

Re: Flashing The Headlight What Does it Mean to you? by sultaan(m): 1:16am On Oct 30, 2012
Op you are right, it means you can go.

FYI na woman dey drive, you know what they say about women drivers grin.
Re: Flashing The Headlight What Does it Mean to you? by Fhemmmy: 3:37pm On Oct 30, 2012
Depends on what time of the day:
During the day: Means he is trying to get my attention to something
At night, it means my high beam is on and i should stop blinding everyone else on the road.

1 Like

Re: Flashing The Headlight What Does it Mean to you? by infolpf: 5:39pm On Oct 30, 2012
In the US, especially down South, flashing headlights from folks coming in the opposite direction usually means "better slow the heck down, there's a cop up ahead!!".
grin grin

1 Like

Re: Flashing The Headlight What Does it Mean to you? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Oct 30, 2012
Yea..."Beware of police with speed cameras" BUT if you are caught, by the police, flashing your lights to warn other users you can get fined!!
Re: Flashing The Headlight What Does it Mean to you? by timenamoney: 12:25am On Jun 16, 2020
There is no rightful theory about flashing of light, it has always been a personal method of communicating with the other driver or person on defferent ocations, mostly when on motion i flash to warn u to maintain your lane when slightly on my lane, like (alart keepoff danger) and it have working, when trafigating, slow motion or no motion it mean (wait). and for greeting a freind coming toward u(hello) or am here (see me),.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flashing The Headlight What Does it Mean to you? by olumzzz(m): 5:21am On Jun 16, 2020
I flash to warn trailers and tankers before overtaking them.
Am i the only one on this table?
Re: Flashing The Headlight What Does it Mean to you? by Nobody: 7:55am On Jun 16, 2020
ezenwaone:
If the persons car is on motion and he flashes you with his headlight it simply means "watch out dude" But if the car parked and flashes it means "i have cleared for you to pass"
This is the correct answer. The car being in motion or not changes everything.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flashing The Headlight What Does it Mean to you? by Tonysmith4sure(m): 11:52pm On Jun 19, 2020
Martini101:
I didnt learn it 4rm anywhere but i think flashing of headlight means dat u re asking the other driver opposite u to have d right of way. This can be synonymous as making the 'come' sign wit ur fingers. My opinion thou

(1) (Reply)

Benz For Sale, R500 Full Option (R Class) / Strange License Plates Arround The Usa / Help:my Dashboard Vibrates Whenever My A/c Is On And The Car Is On Hold

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.