Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,071 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:49 AM

Herbal Medicine Vs. Prescription Medicine - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Herbal Medicine Vs. Prescription Medicine (1832 Views)

Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription / The Menace Of Sepe, Agbo-Jedi: Pile Herbal-Medicine / Orthodox Medicine VS Natural Medicine , Which ONE Do You Support (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Herbal Medicine Vs. Prescription Medicine by DaquanGibson: 8:51am On Oct 30, 2012
Hello Everyone,

The fight between herbal medicine advocates and prescription medicine advocates has been going on since prescription medications were first manufactured. Herbal medicines are extracted from plants. Prescription medicines are created using synthetic chemicals. When it comes to which one is best, both types of medicine have good and bad points.

Cost
Generally, herbal medicines cost far less than prescription medicines. However, herbal medicines tend to be slightly weaker than prescription medicines, which increase their overall cost a little. In addition to needing a larger quantity of herbal medicines, some herbs can be expensive, driving the price up even more. Even with these slight increases, though, natural herbs tend to cost less than synthetic chemicals.

Safety
The general safety of prescription medications is very high, as long as they are used as directed. However, herbal and prescription medications can result in problems. What makes prescriptions so safe is that they are standardized and contain no random ingredients. Herbal medications can contain many impurities. From pesticides in the water to contamination in the soil, you never know just exactly what chemicals may be incorporated into the plant.

Results
The overall results from herbal and prescription medicines can vary. However, prescription medicines are highly regulated and uniform. The medicine comes in an exact does with a specific potency. One of the biggest problems with herbal medicines is that their potency can vary wildly. Such a wide variety of conditions, such as weather and soil, can affect the actual potency of a plant that there is no way to keep each dose standardized. Herbal medicines also tend to be weaker than prescription medicines, making herbal medications produce results at a slower rate than prescription.

Side Effects
Herbal and prescription medicines run the risk of causing side effects, creating adverse interactions or allergic reactions. Prescription medicines have the potential of causing more sever side effects than herbal medicines because prescription medicines tend to be more potent than herbs. However, prescription medications tend to have better outlines and warning systems about potential problems than herbal medicines.

Environmental Impact
Although it may seem that herbal medicines are morarth friendly than prescription medicines, they're both potential hazards when produced irresponsibly. Herbal medicines require plants to be farmed and harvested. Done improperly, this can cause soil-depletion, overharvesting and loss of habitat. Prescription medicines can cause many forms of hazardous waste, suck up energy supplies and create trash with fancy packaging.

Thanks and Regards,
Daquan Gibson
Re: Herbal Medicine Vs. Prescription Medicine by dominique(f): 12:42pm On Oct 30, 2012
i'm for both as long as they work. i've had an illness where i had to resort to herbs when pills and injections didn't work.
Re: Herbal Medicine Vs. Prescription Medicine by Omofranca(f): 9:59am On Oct 31, 2012
There's no competition between the two. Prescription medicines can often give instant relief. On the other hand,in many cases of emergencies, herbal medicines have saved the day; I give a practical example: recently,in the middle of the night my dear was faced with very serious indigestion and bloating and it was impossible to go out to buy any prescription laxatives at such a time but luckily I got the info that drinking freshly grated ginger would help; we had some at home and we tried it. That was the end of the matter.

(1) (Reply)

NMA STRIKE: The Need For Nurse Practitioners In Nigeria / Help Me Out. My period is late / See What Prophet TB Joshua Said About President Buhari Prolong Illness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.