Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,744 members, 7,824,144 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? (16660 Views)

Lady 21-24 Required For Personal Assistant To Female / Vacancy For Personal Assistant/driver In Lekki-ajah Axis Of Lagos / Vacancy For Personal Assistant To A High-profile CEO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by netawuf: 11:09am On Nov 03, 2012
ey all, I got a job interview tomorrow for a personal assistant role to d MD of a coy and don't know what to expect!! I don't have any previous or relevant experience, only in customer services so really surprised got call to come to the interview in the first place. What are some questions to be expected. Pls hse help me the pay is good .
Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by netawuf: 12:08pm On Nov 03, 2012
Peaple of nl pls help share ur experience with me. It's coming up on monday (interview).
Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by omowolewa: 2:23pm On Nov 03, 2012
Try to be yourself,dress well and get information about the organisation.
Be well relaxed,what will be will be,don't panic at all!

1 Like

Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by Jolomsguy(m): 2:26pm On Nov 03, 2012
Google for information and tips.

Wish you the best
Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by playahP(m): 2:27pm On Nov 03, 2012
What is the work of a personal assistant

What do you think you can assist in??

If you are asked to perform a role outside stipulated company policy for the sake of the MD, woud you do that??

Be ready to get grilled cos if I wanted a personal assistant, I would want someone that can work under pressure; some one that would take most of the pressure off me leaving me with only important decisions to worry about!!
Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 03, 2012
Personal contestant...lol
Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Nov 03, 2012
A PA is a body double, a person who licks/covers Oga's ass for a living. So you must most importantly key into his/her own vision and dreams. You must be very trustworthy, know how to guage Oga's mood and act accordingly. Must be smart and hardworking to get stuff done that will allow Oga to shine. You must know how to delegate task...good social networking skills so as to move your Ogas course forward. You're the super sub striker that the Boss can always trust in a time of crises. And yes past experience and excellence in customer service is a stepping stone. Congrats and goodluck!

1 Like

Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Nov 03, 2012
Be a good listener: listen attentively
Be slow to speak, make sure u re-phrase every sentence in ur heart!
Take note of ur interviewers names, and call them respectfully by their names whenever you're answering any question.
Be very relaxed.
Look them in the eye while talking

Have confidence, patapata, dem no go kill u, don't let ur heart beat like u're gonna die.
Don't act too desperate!

4 Likes

Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by Kslib(m): 2:46pm On Nov 03, 2012
1.. Dont lie,even when lieing will make the coy like you,i repeat dont lie..
2.. Have confidence,dont be too shaky,just relax..Afterall,it's not a do or die affair..
3.. Be yourself,dont fake attitude..
4.. Make sure you look smart and clean..
5..make sure you switch off your phone.
6.. Brush your teeth well. There's nothing irritating like a brown teeth coupled with mouth odour...
7.. Lastly,remember to pray to GOD. Remember,prayer is the master key..

1 Like

Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by toprealman: 2:46pm On Nov 03, 2012
Try and work on your nerves. Your position will have to do more about personality than anything else.
Keep cool, sound lively and smile as much as possible. Don't try to appear to know everything. Answer any question thrown at you to the best of your knowledge and dont be shy to say 'I am sorry ...I do not know much about that'.....with a smile.
If he sees you as a good company, smart, intelligent etc, he can accept your limitations since you have shown that you can always develop on the job.
Hey....go get that job now!!!!!!

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by Dermie: 2:50pm On Nov 03, 2012
Know what it takes to be a P.A.
Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by phaya(f): 3:07pm On Nov 03, 2012
netawuf: Peaple of nl pls help share ur experience with me. It's coming up on monday (interview).

Don't write in shorthand when you get there. Its important

2 Likes

Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by aweleokolo: 3:09pm On Nov 03, 2012
I am a PA and I enjoy my job.

First, you should be prepared to work longer hours than other employees especially when your boss requires it.

Discretion in paramont in this role. You will be privileged to classified information by virtue of your position.

During your interview be calm, polite and straight to the point. In my experience, MD's like people who can communicate clearly and quickly. Make your point, give relevant examples and stop.

Emphasise that your ethicaland moral standards and integrity when you are asked about your strengths and weaknesses.

Be sure you are competent with Microsoft Office tools and outlook. (Excel and Word are about to be your new best friends)

Make it clear that you are willing to work flexible hours and travel when required.

To show that you are interested in the job and your career, ask them what your typical day as an assistant will be like? Ask your scope of work and find out about your career progression withing the organisation. (Unless you want to be a PA forever)

Don't bring up salary talk until they do. When they do? Ask them what the previous person in that role was earning. They will play on your lack of experience so highlight your strengths and negotiate careful. But act like it isn't all about the money. Act like you are more interested in the oppourtunity to support and contribute to the success of the management team.

Finally, remember to pray for Guidance and Favour. That His Will be done.
Goodluck.

7 Likes

Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by sconsults: 3:10pm On Nov 03, 2012
[size=18pt]you really do not need to prepare for anything. just trust in the holy spirit and pray to saint Gregory of Nyssa and saint ignatius of loyola and i promise you everything would work out fine. recite our father 100 times and do not eat meat for one week, then make sure your sins was confessed to a reverend father and if possible give all your money to charity trusting in the holy spirit to provide for you[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by Kslib(m): 3:15pm On Nov 03, 2012
sconsults: [size=18pt]you really do not need to prepare for anything. just trust in the holy spirit and pray to saint Gregory of Nyssa and saint ignatius of loyola and i promise you everything would work out fine. recite our father 100 times and do not eat meat for one week, then make sure your sins was confessed to a reverend father and if possible give all your money to charity trusting in the holy spirit to provide for you[/size]
Hahahaha!!! Chineke
Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by aweleokolo: 3:16pm On Nov 03, 2012
sconsults: [size=18pt]you really do not need to prepare for anything. just trust in the holy spirit and pray to saint Gregory of Nyssa and saint ignatius of loyola and i promise you everything would work out fine. recite our father 100 times and do not eat meat for one week, then make sure your sins was confessed to a reverend father and if possible give all your money to charity trusting in the holy spirit to provide for you[/size]

This is what annoys me with you people. Someone is about to get interviewed and he should not prepare? God has given him a door but he should not move his feet and make an effort to go through it? Please shift with your spiritual laziness

2 Likes

Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by sluvy4tune(m): 3:18pm On Nov 03, 2012
More like Proffesional house boy/ErrandBoy no specific tast assign to u , u can be called to do anytin including taking Oga's dog for strolling.#NoBeef
Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Nov 03, 2012
netawuf: ey all, I got a job interview tomorrow for a personal assistant role to d MD of a coy and don't know what to expect!! I don't have any previous or relevant experience, only in customer services so really surprised got call to come to the interview in the first place. What are some questions to be expected. Pls hse help me the pay is good .
You must have a good referral for you to have gotten the call in the first place so don't panic, be yourself, be comfortable and dress smart. wink

1 Like

Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by aweleokolo: 3:24pm On Nov 03, 2012
sluvy4tune: More like Proffesional house boy/ErrandBoy no specific tast assign to u , u can be called to do anytin including taking Oga's dog for strolling.#NoBeef

Not all PA roles are that demeaning. It all depends on the boss. In my role I don't even make coffee or tend to guests. My job is purely business analysis and strategic management. I actually use my MBA skills daily. I am happy with my role.
Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Nov 03, 2012
Imanuelle: Be a good listener: listen attentively
Be slow to speak, make sure u re-phrase every sentence in ur heart!
Take note of ur interviewers names, and call them respectfully by their names whenever you're answering any question.
Be very relaxed.
Look them in the eye while talking

Have confidence, patapata, dem no go kill u, don't let ur heart beat like u're gonna die.
Don't act too desperate!
datz d way.
Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by Ikwerefistson: 3:33pm On Nov 03, 2012
wic saint loyola re u tokng abot dnt get me angry here nw jst ask hm 2 pray 2d lord nd leav dose saint out of ds b4 i do smtng nasty
Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by valdubem(m): 3:37pm On Nov 03, 2012

Madarchod ke Aulaad is what you are. FOOL!
Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by Iaz93: 3:56pm On Nov 03, 2012
Kslib: 1.. Dont lie,even when lieing will make the coy like you,i repeat dont lie..
2.. Have confidence,dont be too shaky,just relax..Afterall,it's not a do or die affair..
3.. Be yourself,dont fake attitude..
4.. Make sure you look smart and clean..
5..make sure you switch off your phone.
6.. Brush your teeth well. There's nothing irritating like a brown teeth coupled with mouth odour...
7.. Lastly,remember to pray to GOD. Remember,prayer is the master key..
shikena...
Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by Tedpgrass: 3:58pm On Nov 03, 2012
U
aweleokolo: I am a PA and I enjoy my job.

First, you should be prepared to work longer hours than other employees especially when your boss requires it.

Discretion in paramont in this role. You will be privileged to classified information by virtue of your position.

During your interview be calm, polite and straight to the point. In my experience, MD's like people who can communicate clearly and quickly. Make your point, give relevant examples and stop.
Emphasise that your ethicaland moral standards and integrity when you are asked about your strengths and weaknesses.

Be sure you are competent with Microsoft Office tools and outlook. (Excel and Word are about to be your new best friends)

Make it clear that you are willing to work flexible hours and travel when required.

To show that you are interested in the job and your career, ask them what your typical day as an assistant will be like? Ask your scope of work and find out about your career progression withing the organisation. (Unless you want to be a PA forever)

Don't bring up salary talk until they do. When they do? Ask them what the previous person in that role was earning. They will play on your lack of experience so highlight your strengths and negotiate careful. But act like it isn't all about the money. Act like you are more interested in the oppourtunity to support and contribute to the success of the management team.

Goodluck.

Well-defined and delivered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by Iaz93: 3:58pm On Nov 03, 2012
sluvy4tune: More like Proffesional house boy/ErrandBoy no specific tast assign to u , u can be called to do anytin including taking Oga's dog for strolling.#NoBeef

lwkmd...hahahahahahahahahahaha.....u wicked die...lmaO
Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by frankobaba(m): 4:09pm On Nov 03, 2012
aweleokolo: I am a PA and I enjoy my job.

Goodluck.

i agree with you. To add to what u said, i think the OP shld dwell more on his confidence level...Be Bold...and expect the unexpected...also, try not to mumble on your words when speaking...be audible. If its a 3-man-intvw-pannel or more and they re all throwing questions @ u, give a precise answer to the ones u know of first b4 d other...and let them smell that level of confidence from the words u emit...

Another useful tip is SMILe... smiley, PRAY and carry out little research online about the company and the post.... i.e. Google out "..job description of a Personal Assistant in a (construction,marketing,telecom,hospitality, etc) company.

GOODLUCK DUDE, SEE U @ THE TOP!

2 Likes

Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by netawuf: 4:26pm On Nov 03, 2012
aweleokolo:

Not all PA roles are that demeaning. It all depends on the boss. In my role I don't even make coffee or tend to guests. My job is purely business analysis and strategic managment. I actually use my MBA skills daily. I am happy with my role.

Thank you all for response. @uncle aweleokolo, tnks so much pls i will like to contact you privately since you are my senior colleague . I will like u to be my role model. I really appreciate everybody in dis forum. you guys are great, may God be wit all of you IJN.
Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by temizt: 4:41pm On Nov 03, 2012

Weyrey. Mahd man.
Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by temizt: 4:48pm On Nov 03, 2012
Also, google the meaning of a Confidential Secretary. Very important.
Re: Tips For Personal Assistant Interview?? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Nov 03, 2012
sconsults: you really do not need to prepare for anything. just trust in the holy spirit and pray to saint Gregory of Nyssa and saint ignatius of loyola and i promise you everything would work out fine. recite our father 100 times and do not eat meat for one week, then make sure your sins was confessed to a reverend father and if possible give all your money to charity trusting in the holy spirit to provide for you

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Heaven Loyola helps those who help themselves..
grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Part-time Jobs Across The Nation / How To Download Npower PPA Letter On Npower Dashboard / Any Successful Dangote Graduate Driver Here? Pls Narrate Your Ordeal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.