Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,511 members, 7,954,935 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:50 PM

Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students (13500 Views)

Apply Now For NIIT Scholarship For Nigerian Students 2015 / Humble Advice To Nigerian Students, Pls, Pls Read!!!... / Nigerian Students In Ghana Pay N155 Billion As Tuition Annually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Nobody: 10:32pm On Nov 04, 2012
[img]http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2012/09/12/li-nigerian-students_1.jpg[/img]
Victoria Ordu (left) and Ihuoma Amadi say they stopped working at Wal-Mart as soon as they learned it was against the rules of their student visas.

Two federal cabinet ministers have thrown cold water on efforts to stop two University of Regina students from being deported.

Victoria Ordu and Ihuoma Amadi are from Nigeria, and have taken sanctuary in a Regina church for several months because they're afraid they'll be deported.

They have student visas which allow them to work, but only on campus.

They claim they did not know of the restriction and worked for a short time at a Wal-Mart store, but stopped as soon as they learned of the rules.

However, they were ordered to leave the country. Since then there have been protests, petitions and various media reports about their situation.

Last week, Saskatchewan Economy Minister Bill Boyd wrote to federal Public Safety Minister Vic Toews, who is responsible for the Canadian Border Services Agency, expressing concern and asking for an update.

'Student' status questioned

However, on Wednesday, Toews told CBC News there will be no exceptions made for Ordu and Amadi. He went further, saying the two aren't even students.

"I'm advised that the two individuals are not students in accordance with the plan that they've submitted here and have no basis for remaining in Canada," he said.

Federal Immigration Minister Jason Kenny made similar statements in the House of Commons on Wednesday in response to a question from Saskatchewan Liberal MP Ralph Goodale.

"Both the University of Regina and the Government of Saskatchewan oppose deportation of these two young women for a small honest mistake. Will the minister agree?" Goodale asked.

Fair hearing

Kenney replied the two women received a fair hearing.

"First of all, one of the students told the CBSA that she had not been enrolled in classes and had been academically disqualified, and she had documents confirming that," Kenney said.

"Both of these individuals had hearings before the immigration division before receiving exclusion orders. Both of their social insurance numbers indicated that they did not have permission to work in Canada."

However, a consultant working on the women's cases says that's not true.

He says they were both enrolled at the U of R and while they broke the rules, in this case the punishment does not fit the crime.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/story/2012/11/01/sk-nigerian-students-1210.html
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Nobody: 10:32pm On Nov 04, 2012
How exactly did they not know the condition of their visa?
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Akanbiedu(m): 11:06pm On Nov 04, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
How exactly did they not know the condition of their visa?

Believe that, believe anything.
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by hydiciousb: 11:25pm On Nov 04, 2012
chai....see how oyinbo don see us finish!....e dey pain me seriously....if not for our bad governance, who go wan run go canada?

3 Likes

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by otokx(m): 11:25pm On Nov 04, 2012
is this not stale gist?
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by 50calibre(m): 11:28pm On Nov 04, 2012
These people should learn to be considerate after all the private jets our stupid politicians buy from Canada,

4 Likes

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Nobody: 11:29pm On Nov 04, 2012
Chai! embarassed embarassed

So na so dem wan deport these 2 fresh fishes wey canadian food and weather don fresh so? sad

So dem wan deport them back to that hellhole country? embarassed

Omase ooo! cry

1 Like

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Nurry: 11:30pm On Nov 04, 2012
otokx: is this not stale gist?
Abi o

1 Like

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by opee1231(f): 11:33pm On Nov 04, 2012
I feel for them but i find it difficult to believe they didn't know the rule governing their visa..we student always want to play pranks.... well no place like home their parents will welcome dem na ni abi?? embarassed

1 Like

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by evatee(m): 11:35pm On Nov 04, 2012
Saw dis few weeks ago....why's it on front page again?

1 Like

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Nobody: 11:35pm On Nov 04, 2012
Ouch,may God vindicate you girls...atleast you were morally sound enough to work in Wal-mart and not prostituting.

12 Likes

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Nobody: 11:38pm On Nov 04, 2012
nigerians - always doing the wrong thing and then trying to appeal to sentiment

1 Like

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by kundul: 11:39pm On Nov 04, 2012
4 dem 2 work means dt na dem dey tk kia of demselves ooh n even der ppl go dey expect dollars 4rm dem ooh. Eyaaaaa
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Nobody: 11:39pm On Nov 04, 2012
Not surprised. They stood no chance. Good luck to them.
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by lafuria1(m): 11:43pm On Nov 04, 2012
is it when the story has grown white beard that it will make front page..? saw this thread in d travel sections sometime ago.
i have noting to say, just feel sorry for them. serously, we think pple like coming back to naija, not at all.....
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Nobody: 11:45pm On Nov 04, 2012
eva_tee: Saw dis few weeks ago....why's it on front page again?
When the news came out a few weeks ago, their matter was still being deliberated on. Now the FG of Canada has made its decision.

That being said, I can't understand how they didn't fully comprehend the rules of their visas. You can't work off campus as an international student, everyone knows that. I'm assuming they had an International Student Orientation in their first year where these sorts of things must have been mentioned. There really is no excuse for their ignorance.
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by kinematic(m): 11:49pm On Nov 04, 2012
oyb: nigerians - always doing the wrong thing and then trying to appeal to sentiment

You mean like trying to survive by working for a living ? SMH

1 Like

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by SisiKill1: 11:50pm On Nov 04, 2012
kinematic:

No...trying to make money by breaking the law. SMDH!!!

5 Likes

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Nobody: 11:54pm On Nov 04, 2012
Welcome back!
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by mallorca(m): 11:57pm On Nov 04, 2012
posted before
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Omuha(m): 12:04am On Nov 05, 2012
Welcome home angels. Better luck next time.
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by kinematic(m): 12:05am On Nov 05, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
No by trying to make money by breaking the law. SMDH!!!

Since you've never broken a law, i expect you to keep it that way and pray you never do.
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Nobody: 12:06am On Nov 05, 2012
kinematic:

oyb: nigerians - always doing the wrong thing and then trying to appeal to sentiment

see what i mean?

3 Likes

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by tunnytox(m): 12:14am On Nov 05, 2012
ItsModella:
When the news came out a few weeks ago, their matter was still being deliberated on. Now the FG of Canada has made its decision.

That being said, I can't understand how they didn't fully comprehend the rules of their visas. You can't work off campus as an international student, everyone knows that. I'm assuming they had an International Student Orientation in their first year where these sorts of things must have been mentioned. There is really is no excuse for their ignorance.

Exactly! They shouldn't wait to be deported may be that will at least prevent more damage, they should buy their own ticket and leave.
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Nobody: 12:18am On Nov 05, 2012
They Need to deport those bishhes for simply rocking their hair like that....

Oh shitt *Edit Sorry* I didn't even notice who the OP was....That was not a Subliminal.
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Decryptor(m): 12:19am On Nov 05, 2012
Oyibo people sef and their hatred for anything Nigerian. If these girls were caught prostituting or involved in any form of crime...Verdict=Imprisonment or deportation
Now they were trying to make a living for themselves LEGITIMATELY...Verdict=Deportation
I can bet u that if they were South Africans or Ghanians, it wouldn't be the same.
I weep for this country
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Nobody: 12:20am On Nov 05, 2012
Decryptor: Oyibo people sef and their hatred for anything Nigerian. If these girls were caught prostituting or involved in any form of crime...Verdict=Imprisonment or deportation
Now they were trying to make a living for themselves LEGITIMATELY...Verdict=Deportation
I can bet u that if they were South Africans or Ghanians, it wouldn't be the same.
I weep for this country

There's nothing legitimate about violating visa terms.

2 Likes

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Nobody: 12:22am On Nov 05, 2012
Students are known world over, especially in western countries, to enjoy certain over proportional degree of freedom during their student status and minor breach of the law of the land is most often neglected by the authority. Student status is the closest to citizenship status in most western countries and they often times enjoy close to the full social and fundamental rights of the citizens of the country where they are studying. So, these two could not be telling the whole truth or someone there is really out to get them as i find it difficult to believe that something as flimsy as working at walmart could be a precedence for deportation.

While i was a student in Europe, the official number of days we are allowed to work in a year is 90 days but most students here worked sometimes up to 200 days while some would even take a full year off just to jab and make some money. The authority knows this but never bat an eye.

I personally, while i was a student, went on a jabbing spree for months as a freelancer. What that means is that i was to forward my taxes to the finance office myself but never did it until i received a letter from them informing me that i needed to pay up 4500 Euro tax money. I went to their office and feigned ignorance to the whole process and they ended up there and then writing off the whole owed tax amount and no one ever threatened me with deportation even though my offence could be categorized as a higher offence than the one these two are allegedly involved in.

My point is, someone is telling half truth here and it could be just about anyone of the people involved in this brouhaha.

Deporting students no be mai mai.
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by tunnytox(m): 12:33am On Nov 05, 2012
@Bandit C
Things have changed significantly in Europe and many western countries now, students working more than the legal limit are being deported.
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by dangiwa09(m): 12:38am On Nov 05, 2012
Most Nigerians see laws/rules as an obstacle to be circumvented. That's why these girls are in this mess. Sadly, some people on this forum don't get it still. Laws are to be obeyed always, or be ready to face the consequences. Do not blame the devil, your enemies in your village nor your political opponents, look in the mirror and you'll see whom to blame.

8 Likes

Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by Omobacom: 12:40am On Nov 05, 2012
Hey.. Don't b a silly/HATER. The day u have d opptnity to feel outside, You wont call nija Home. A home is your confort place, your habitat.In other words, Canada is their Home not Nija. Try feel ouside nija so you will be exposed nd free the mental slavery of nija politicians.
Re: Canada To Deport 2 Nigerian Students by dipo1: 12:46am On Nov 05, 2012
There is some unclarity in this case. Are the girls students or not? The said minister said the girls were not students. They probably have been in CA with illegal/expired permits and then took jobs with Walmart instead of cash jobs. Mistake

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

OAU Student Cries Out: No Electricity In Our Hostels For 5 Months Now! / Nairaland Math Quiz Competition Loading...(suggestions Needed) / Aau First And Second Admission List Is Out.check Now:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.