Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:39 AM

Beauty Things - How Islamic? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Beauty Things - How Islamic? (1094 Views)

How Islamic Are You? / How Islamic College Plan Has Split Italian Town / Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beauty Things - How Islamic? by deols(f): 12:10pm On Nov 05, 2012
1. Is toning Islamic? why/why not?
Re: Beauty Things - How Islamic? by tpia1: 5:19pm On Nov 05, 2012
Rose water was first produced by Muslim chemists in the medieval Islamic world

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_water
Re: Beauty Things - How Islamic? by deols(f): 6:37pm On Nov 05, 2012
tpia1:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_water
Yes. I saw that too. It is also used in perfumes and also used for the washing of the ka'ba..I never knew that until my interest in it.

But even though it is used for all of these things, am skeptical about its use as a body toner. Other natural things that can help tone are lime juice and cucumber.

I just want to know the schorlarly thoughts on this and am open to every.since am leaning towards going for it, a little dont do it wld be challenging and is y am here.
Re: Beauty Things - How Islamic? by tpia1: 9:00pm On Nov 05, 2012
and if people dont tone, wont it hinder them from getting a man they've set their eye on, if he happens to be the type who likes such.
Re: Beauty Things - How Islamic? by deols(f): 3:25pm On Nov 06, 2012
@tpia, are you implying that women do what they do so that men can notice them?

Do you braid your hair so men can find you attractive?
Re: Beauty Things - How Islamic? by deols(f): 3:39pm On Nov 06, 2012
What I found about toning below-

In principle, using face-lightening creams as a form of adornment can not be considered unlawful (haram) according to Shari’a. However, there are certain things worth considering:

1) Islam has placed certain[b] reasonable limitations in regards to adornment and personal beatification[/b]. Islam acknowledges the desire of husbands to see their women beautiful and adorned, thus allows wives to use the various types of jewellery. Women are also encouraged to wear Hena on their hands and feet, whilst good fragrance [provided it is not worn in the presence of non-Mahram men] is regarded as charity.

On the other hand, those so called means of adornment that distort the image of a human being, and entails mutilation (muthla) of one’s body is prohibited by Islam. Allah Almighty relates in Surah al-Nisa’ the words of Shaytan, when he said:

“I will lead them astray, and I will tempt them with false hopes, and I will command them, whereby they shall slit the ears of cattle, and I will command them, whereby they shall alter the creation of Allah [i.e. alter the figure of a creature].” (4: 119)

Using face-lightening creams does not entail mutilation (muthla) or altering Allah’s creation (taghyir khalq Allah) since there is no specific operation to be undergone with a view to change the colour of the skin forever. As such, using such creams is not unlawful. However, it is a kind of excessive beautification which is not warranted in Islam. Allah Most High has created each human being with a beauty that best suits him/her, and as slaves of Allah, we should be content and happy with what Allah has created us with. Indeed, Islam allows us, in genuine cases of need, to bring back to normality areas of the body that are deformed or damaged, but is having a dark skin really a form of abnormality!

Islam teaches us that the standard of beauty is not what colour one’s skin is, but rather, one’s piety, one’s good actions and one’s conduct towards others. A white person has no superiority over a black, nor does a black have any superiority over a white, except by piety and the fear of Allah (Taqwa).

2) If face-lightening cream is used in order to deceive others, such as deceiving a prospective fiancé regarding the colour of one’s skin, then this is undoubtedly unlawful. Dishonesty and deception are clearly unlawful, and considered to be amongst the major sins; hence a Muslim should always remain distant from them.

3) Moreover, such creams must not cause any harm to the face. In a recent report published by the BBC, it was stated that some face-lightening creams contain toxic substances that can do permanent damage to the skin, and in more severe cases, significantly increase the risk of contracting skin cancer. Some products even contain banned chemicals such as Hydroquinone – a bleaching agent.

If this is true, then again, it will be unlawful to use such creams, since inflicting harm upon oneself is impermissible. Allah Most High says:

“And make not your own hands contribute to (your) destruction.” (Surah al-Baqarah, V: 195)

4) Finally, it goes without saying that using such creams (or any other form of adornment) with the intention of drawing the attention of non-Mahram members of the opposite sex to oneself, and causing temptation (fitna), is without doubt strictly prohibited.

In conclusion, there are certain conditions for the permissibility of using face-lightening creams, and if fulfilled, it can not be considered unlawful (haram). However, even if these conditions are met, it is still disliked, unwarranted and repugnant to use such creams, since it goes against the spirit (ruh) of Islamic teachings.

And Allah knows best

[Mufti] Muhammad ibn Adam
Darul Iftaa
Leicester , UK
Re: Beauty Things - How Islamic? by deols(f): 3:55pm On Nov 06, 2012
2. tattooing
Re: Beauty Things - How Islamic? by ParisLove2(f): 5:58pm On Nov 06, 2012
Lol, why was my post hidden?
Re: Beauty Things - How Islamic? by maclatunji: 6:13pm On Nov 06, 2012
Paris-Love:
Lol, why was my post hidden?

This thread is for Muslims to discuss and educate themselves. Stop trying to derail it- you have been warned.

1 Like

Re: Beauty Things - How Islamic? by deols(f): 6:36pm On Nov 06, 2012
is that not some double derailment and mine added, tripple?

@parislove, take your complaints to the right thread.
Re: Beauty Things - How Islamic? by ParisLove2(f): 9:26pm On Nov 06, 2012
maclatunji:

This thread is for Muslims to discuss and educate themselves. Stop trying to derail it- you have been warned.
I didn't see 'muslims only' on the OP did you? And i didn't derail it as my comment was on topic. Stop the discrimination please and restore my post.

Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Meet America’s First Openly Gay Imam – Photo / Significance Of Fasting The Day Of `ashura' / Either U Like Or Hate It, Islam Is The Daddy Of Technology!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.