Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,820 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:25 PM

Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos (8948 Views)

10 Suspected Robbers Killed In Lagos In 12 Days - Vanguard / ASP Escapes Mob Lynching After He Raped 9-yr-old Girl / Suspected Robbers Video Themselves During Operation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by gramci: 1:42pm On Nov 07, 2012
The Lagos State Police Command has arrested three suspects for allegedly taking part in the lynching of five suspected armed robbers in Mushin Area of the state on Saturday.
Police Public Relations Officer ofthe command, Ngozi Braide, said on Tuesday that the suspects were arrested as part of the ongoing investigation intothe incident.
She said, “A full investigation has commenced into the incident, I cannot give details about the involvement of the arrested suspects for now.
“We have also invited the community leaders of the area where the incident took place. The police will surely get to the root of the matter.”
Braide, however, declined to give the names of the arrested men.
The lynching of the armed robbery suspects came weeks after a similar lynching of four students of the University of Port Harcourt in controversial circumstances.
PUNCH Metro learnt that the fivesuspected robbers were caught on Saturday evening and beaten by a mob that consisted of residents and area boys in Mushin.
The suspected robbers were setablaze and burnt beyond recognition.
When our correspondent visitedthe area on Tuesday, some residents were reluctant to speak on the incident for fear ofbeing arrested by the police.
But a trader on Vono Street, where the incident took place, told our correspondent that some armed robbers had been terrorising residents of the area in recent time.
The trader, who pleaded anonymity, said, “The people of this area just took their anger on the (suspected) robbers. I don’t really know how they were caught. I think they were said to have broken into a shop.
“I heard somebody raised the alarm and residents quickly reinforced and rounded up the suspects. Nobody really knows the true story because people are afraid of talking about the incident.”
It was learnt that while the suspects were being beaten, residents cheered and took photographs while policemen were not in sight to stop the lynching even though there were some police stations in thearea.
Police were said to have arrivedthe scene after the suspects had been burnt and the crowd had dispersed.

http://www.punchng.com/metro/three-arrested-for-lynching-suspected-robbers-in-lagos/
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 1:48pm On Nov 07, 2012
This country is full of evil people.

1 Like

Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by doctokwus: 2:33pm On Nov 07, 2012
Thought d report was false.So after d Aluu 4 uproar,same thing hapened barely a mth after.Just shows y nigeria is not only cursed but doomed.So much evil everywhere:homes,streets,mosques& churches& in govt.Nothing can redeem d country,absolutely nothing
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by RedLight1: 3:51pm On Nov 07, 2012
good .... they should keep arresting them... it will teach some people senses that u cant just take law in to ur hands in the name of jungle justice
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by Okijajuju1(m): 3:52pm On Nov 07, 2012
Similarities between this story and Aluu..

1. The area had been terrorized by criminals for a long time..

2. There was a police station in the neighbourhood that didnt respond on time..

1 Like

Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by Okijajuju1(m): 3:52pm On Nov 07, 2012
afam4eva: This country is full of evil people.

Nwokem.. Nigerians are frustrated..
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by Nobody: 3:53pm On Nov 07, 2012
Mushin na death zone. Make anything like fight neva happen ni. Na to dey take their soul count scores. I missed Ebute Meta.
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by SELFWORTH: 3:53pm On Nov 07, 2012
... And then what happens. From here on we hear nothing. No justice for the family of the barbq criminals . No justice for victims .

What is the purpose of the statement ? It offers no insight, no information for anyone. Noise after death. What was the police doing before now?
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by Booty4me: 3:54pm On Nov 07, 2012
8th Again

So Sad
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by Nobody: 3:55pm On Nov 07, 2012
Good one, this JJ has to stop.
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by pecopeco: 3:58pm On Nov 07, 2012
Thats very good
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by vascey(m): 4:08pm On Nov 07, 2012
Booty4me: 8th Again

So Sad

Abeg bros no vex o... Is there some secret competition going on?

2 Likes

Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by Skywalker5(m): 4:15pm On Nov 07, 2012
Its about time
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by Abujafood: 4:16pm On Nov 07, 2012
The residents are in a good position to point out those involved! The police should do more than arrest merely 3 suspects because it's not possible for only 3 people to carry out lynching of 5 robbery suspects!
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by Nice2all: 4:17pm On Nov 07, 2012
doctokwus: Thought d report was false.So after d Aluu 4 uproar,same thing hapened barely a mth after.Just shows y nigeria is not only cursed but doomed.So much evil everywhere:homes,streets,mosques& churches& in govt.Nothing can redeem d country,absolutely nothing

Speechless. Naija is full of wickedness, its even worst in mosques and churches. The religious homes not been able to foster the right attitude. Its a pity.
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by velo10: 4:27pm On Nov 07, 2012
Where was the Nigerian Police when the thieves were robbing and terrorizing the area? To stop jungle justice police has to prove efficiency.
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by Odinaka00(m): 4:27pm On Nov 07, 2012
10th
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by lat4real: 4:33pm On Nov 07, 2012
Booty4me: 8th Again

So Sad

LWKMD!!!
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by Nobody: 4:37pm On Nov 07, 2012
hungry good for nothing bastards
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by highlandre(m): 4:38pm On Nov 07, 2012
Jungle justice or what many now call Aluu-styled killings are not new to us in this part of the world. As bad as it seems to be, people indulge in the act due to lack of faith in both the police and justice system. Regrettably, I don't see this practice stopping any time soon unless the Nigerian police and judiciary rise up to expectation and dispense justice accordingly
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by agitator: 4:43pm On Nov 07, 2012
i dey shame to announce 14th cry
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by Nobody: 4:52pm On Nov 07, 2012
Of all places to steal, na Mushin Olosha? Kai! That's is where you get first class Agberos! Too bad for the thieves$
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by duality(m): 4:53pm On Nov 07, 2012
One dude gave us an account of how he was led by criminals with his jeep to a neighborhood . the criminals robbed , r.aped, and even killed. how come the police don't get to the root of such cases. besides, the dude paid to recover his vehicle. I think the social media is helping the police play to the gallery. well, they'll sure score points with this. the police would have gotten my thumbs up if they foiled the incident or any robbery incident at all.

Police is only effective if they cant make money from a case. If there is a way to make some money in any case, forget the Nigerian police
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by texazzpete(m): 4:54pm On Nov 07, 2012
gramci:
But a trader on Vono Street, where the incident took place, told our correspondent that some armed robbers had been terrorising residents of the area in recent time.
The trader, who pleaded anonymity, said, “The people of this area just took their anger on the (suspected) robbers. I don’t really know how they were caught. I think they were said to have broken into a shop.
“I heard somebody raised the alarm and residents quickly reinforced and rounded up the suspects. Nobody really knows the true story because people are afraid of talking about the incident.”
It was learnt that while the suspects were being beaten, residents cheered and took photographs while policemen were not in sight to stop the lynching even though there were some police stations in thearea.
Police were said to have arrivedthe scene after the suspects had been burnt and the crowd had dispersed.

http://www.punchng.com/metro/three-arrested-for-lynching-suspected-robbers-in-lagos/

So basically, most of the people doing the beating and burning did not know what the guys stole, did not see the guys stealing and had no idea if the guys who they were burning were even innocent or guilty.

'Nobody knows what truly happened'

I hope the Police throw the book at these douchebags!

1 Like

Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by RickyRoss1(m): 4:57pm On Nov 07, 2012
Okija_juju: Similarities between this story and Aluu..

1. The area had been terrorized by criminals for a long time..

2. There was a police station in the neighborhood that didn't respond on time..

I support jungle justice bc its suitable for the Nigerian situation.
What is the police going to do after we hand the criminals over to them? If you catch a thief you better deal with him mercilessly before police arrives, bc once they get to the police station their contacts/chairmen will release them the next day and the criminals will go back to the street to commit more atrocities.

The Nigerian police is not my friend, after-all, they are part of the armed robbery gang, they also supply them with arms. THE NIGERIAN POLICE ARE TOO CORRUPT TO BE MY FRIEND. I KNOW THERE ARE STILL VERY GOOD POLICE MEN OUT THERE BUT THEY ARE VERY FEW.

2 Likes

Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by Curiouscity(m): 5:26pm On Nov 07, 2012
Where are the internet activists that called for the annihilation of ALUU?
When someone tried to say that such wicked act is not unique to ALUU alone,
but a common re-occurrence in the Nigerian society we all called for his/her head.

The truth is we really need to search ourselves to know what/how we've contributed
to the breakdown of law n order in our nation. Jungle justice should not have any
place in our nation. But has legal justice been able to prosecute and punish
criminals appropriately? How about the police taking extra-judicial killing as
their trade-mark. If the police can kill without trial, why not the citizen?

Jungle justice is bad we must all stand up against it no matter who commits it
including Lagosians, Aluu, the Police or my Village!!!
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by Omexonomy: 5:27pm On Nov 07, 2012
Ricky_Ross:

I support jungle justice bc its suitable for the Nigerian situation.
What is the police going to do after we hand the criminals over to them? If you catch a thief you better deal with him mercilessly before police arrives, bc once they get to the police station their contacts/chairmen will release them the next day and the criminals will go back to the street to commit more atrocities.

The Nigerian police is not my friend, after-all, they are part of the armed robbery gang, they also supply them with arms. THE NIGERIAN POLICE ARE TOO CORRUPT TO BE MY FRIEND. I KNOW THERE ARE STILL VERY GOOD POLICE MEN OUT THERE BUT THEY ARE VERY FEW.
though i do not sppourt the killing. We had caught thieves, handed them to the police and after some months some of those thief were caught again.
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by adaemetu(f): 6:14pm On Nov 07, 2012

Yimu. Nigerian poliice force is just a joke.
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by savanto: 7:14pm On Nov 07, 2012
Methinks it's high time the government launches a massive and intensive campaign to sensitize the masses about this societal ills of videoing or taking photographs while serious irreparable damages are being perpetrated by hoodlums. This should be done through various media nationwide. Instead of helping the situation everybody would be cheering at the lynchers.
These are indeed perilous times!

Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by nex(m): 7:35pm On Nov 07, 2012
Anybody that engage in the so-called "jungle justice" should be made to face the law. We are not living in the jungle. Whether robbery, or rape, or bombing, or murder, each has a law set aside to punish the offenders. There is no allowance in the civilized world, for lynching whether innocent, or guilty.
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by zebudaya(m): 8:30pm On Nov 07, 2012
Na wetin person go steal for Mushin?
Re: Three Arrested For Lynching Suspected Robbers In Lagos by ddim22: 8:30pm On Nov 07, 2012
velo10: Where was the Nigerian Police when the thieves were robbing and terrorizing the area? To stop jungle justice police has to prove efficiency.
God bless you for this comment.Unless the police become efficient,jungle justice will never stop.If the police can come to the rescue of residents when they are called,then the people will have faith in the police.But what we have is a police force that habitually gives flimsy and fake excuses why they can not come to a place when robbery is going on.The people have no choice but to protect themselves by killing any armedrobber caught.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Man Bites-Off Lover’s Ear On Valentine's Day In Lagos / EFCC Chairman, Magu Impersonated On Facebook / Ikpeazu Imposes Restriction On Keke Operations In Umuahia To Fight Crime

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.