Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,989 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment (20662 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / Is Weight Gain Grounds For Divorce? / Grounds For Divorce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by charlsecy4(m): 7:10am On Nov 08, 2012
I have come to believe that most Christians are yet to understand the institution of matrimony as GOD has intended it. And that is why I have decided to come up with this write-up to educate Christians and other willing readers on what exactly divorce mean from a Christian point of view, and annulment from a moral and legal perspective, which, I think, should also be applicable to Christians, and the conditions that might necessitate each.
Divorce: Formally declare that a man and a woman who had been validly married are no longer husband and wife.

Annulment: Formally declare that certain conditions were not met before a man and a woman get "married," and therefore, the union was null and void from the beginning.

One thing is clear: GOD HATES DIVORCE!

Now, let me be straight with you: the Church permits divorce [and remarriage] based strictly on ONE condition. The condition is infidelity. If one of the partners is unfaithful, it's up to the other partner to remain in the union or walk away in divorce. If divorce has occurred for any reason other than infidelity, the optimum solution is reconciliation and restoration of the marriage. I mean, couples who divorced on grounds not associated with infidelity are not Biblically allowed to remarry other people. The only solution is to remain single, or be reconciled with their spouse.

[size=15]A married Christian can ONLY remarry if:[/size]

They divorced their partner on condition of infidelity (Matthew 5:31-32).

Their partner is unchristian, and has walked away from the marriage (1 Corinthians 7:15).

Their partner has died (Romans 7:2-3) (not induced death).

However, there is a prevailing Biblical exhortation to “forgive one another,” as in Ephesians 4:32 and Colossians 3:13. It is entirely Biblical for the offended party to seek God diligently for the grace to forgive the adulterous spouse.

If the basis for a marriage was invalid, then there is no need to divorce. The marriage can simply be annulled by designated officer(s), and both the man and the woman can get married to any other person, unlike in divorce. To divorce a marriage means to declare that a man and a woman who had been validly married are not longer husband and wife. To annul a marriage denotes to declare that certain conditions were not met before a man and a woman get "married," and therefore, the union was null and void from the beginning.

[size=15]What can make a marriage divorceable [and remarriage]?[/size]

Infidelity.

[size=15]What can make a marriage annullable?[/size]

A marriage is annullable if the marriage has been essentially invalid from the beginning. A declaration of nullity may be required from a designated authority to establish this, a declaration that a marriage never existed even though a ceremony took place. Certain conditions could make a "marriage" annullable:

Non-consummation: Saying "I do" at the altar is not enough; there must be unprotected sexual intercourse within a period from the date of exchange of marital vows. If, for no GOOD reason, one of the partners refuses to have sexual relations within the period, the aggrieved partner can call for annulment. Impotence may make a marriage annullable.

Force or duress: If a partner was coerced into marriage, then the union is annullable. For example, you see a woman or their family threatening to deal with a man, that he must marry their daughter because he has made her pregnant, or a woman claiming to be pregnant to the groom.

Mental capacity: There was a man called Dogo in my village back then. He was mentally unstable. Anyhow, I heard his family got a "wife" for him. Now, such union, if it happened, was invalid because Dogo was unable to understand the institution of marriage because of his mental insufficiency. Therefore, neither him nor his "wife" was truly married! Even if a person is mentally stable, they may not yet be mentally developed to understand the institution of marriage. For example, a 6-year-old. Such persons are also unable to enter into a valid marriage.

Deceit: A marriage is annullable if one of the partners deceived the other partner, maybe by withdrawing some vital information necessary for the other partner to take the decision whether to get married to the person or not. For example, a woman's genotype is AS, and the man's own is also AS, but the woman conspired with the doctor and gave the impression that she is AA. If the man marries the woman and later discovers the truth, he can, if he so wishes, calls for annulment. Concealment of an important piece of information. For example, an addiction to alcohol or drugs, conviction of a felony, or children from a prior relationship. If one spouse has failed to disclose important facts like these, the other may be able to get an annulment.

Blood relations: A valid marriage cannot occur between people who are too closely related by blood. Most cultures define a degree of closeness within which a marriage cannot occur.

Unauthorized marriage: A marriage is invalid if it was supervised by an unauthorized person.

Being already duly married: You cannot marry a person if you are already validly married to another.

Either party made a public perpetual vow of chastity in a religious institute: Marrying, for example, a Catholic priest, sworn to celibacy, is of no effect.

Impediment of crime: Bringing about the death of one's own spouse or the spouse of another, with the intention of marriage.

Note: All marriages are considered VALID until proven otherwise

17 Likes

Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by KINGwax(m): 8:02am On Nov 08, 2012
Beautiful.
Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by Afam4eva(m): 12:02pm On Nov 08, 2012
Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by Ndoz(m): 12:03pm On Nov 08, 2012
3rd noni
eruku wo le
Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by a1solution: 12:07pm On Nov 08, 2012
'IF YOU SAY BLOOD RELATION IS AN IMPEDIMENT' IN THE REAL SENSE EVERYBODY IS BROTHER AND SISTER, SO NO ONE SHOULD MARRY EACH OTHER.THINK ABOUT IT.
Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by Nuezha(m): 12:10pm On Nov 08, 2012
All shall be well with homes.
No trouble.....no divorce.
Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by doeeyed: 12:10pm On Nov 08, 2012
Quite concise....
Hopefully. Clears the air about do's and don'ts.

Q1:
With Regards to annulment, what time periods are in place??

Q2:
A woman initially coerced, unaware of pre-existing children 2yrs into the marriage... will fall into which category??

Thanks
Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by ImmaOla: 12:11pm On Nov 08, 2012
Nice rite up. Kudos to u.
@a1solution...... Blood relation in this context means related one way or the other in the family tree.
Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by Nobody: 12:15pm On Nov 08, 2012
Thank you for elucidating these terms...i now know i should probably stay unmarried,many things are involved in this institution.
Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by Troll: 12:18pm On Nov 08, 2012
Wow...There's just enough reasons to ''edit'' or ''delete'' one's unbearable marriage.
ENTER - IRRECONCILIABLE DIFFERENCES. *:-)
Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by greatgod2012(f): 12:27pm On Nov 08, 2012
Though, these are nice tips, but are u opening pple's eyes to excuses or reasons or what, i dont really understand.
Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by adora4u1: 12:28pm On Nov 08, 2012
Thanks. Very enlightening! Well, those people who always argue that christians must never divorce now know better!

2 Likes

Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by toluxa1(m): 12:30pm On Nov 08, 2012
A whole lot of the points you have listed here especially with regards to annulment are not even close to Biblical.

1 Like

Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by jamp: 12:32pm On Nov 08, 2012
Anybody dt divorces his/her partner on the groundsd of infidelity is not ready for marriage. The person has been looking for a way out of the union else why can't he/her forgive the person??

A good christian should not encourage divorce

1 Like

Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by adora4u1: 12:33pm On Nov 08, 2012
greatgod2012: Though, these are nice tips, but are u opening pple's eyes to excuses or reasons or what, i dont really understand.

He is just enlightening the under-informed and mis-informed ones among us. wink

1 Like

Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by tobechi20(m): 12:38pm On Nov 08, 2012
Many of us wil stil end up divorcin 4 wrong reason
Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by ebosed: 12:59pm On Nov 08, 2012
Mr Preacher you have to be careful of what you teach here, by my reckoning there are over 968,199 members on this forum right now. Miss guiding these multitude can be very dangerous. Please follow me as I read the full text of this bible verse and explain the truth Mr. Preacher is shying away from. Please note that this is not a debate but TRUTH i know can set you free.

Mat 19:3 The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?

Mat 19:4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

Mat 19:5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

Mat 19:6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Mat 19:7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

Mat 19:8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

Mat 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Mat 19:10 His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.

Let's stop there, may God bless His word in the Name of Jesus Christ.

Just to drop a word before we go forward today; we realise from the Scriptures we have read in Matthew Chapter Nineteen that when people have problem with their marriages, the natural thing and the normal thing is to say “Well, can I put her away, can I divorce her, can I be free from this?” Or someone else might say “Well, if marriage is this difficult it is better never to marry!” But we find that Jesus our Lord has remained consistent that in the beginning it was not so. What you see in marriages today is quite, quite different from what God intended it to be in the beginning.
As a result of that we find Jesus recommended one step for us when He said “have you not read?” This means that for our homes to be correct and for us to pattern our families according to God's perfect will, we need to read, we need to study, we need to go back to the Manufacturer's manual; the Lord pointed this out to us in our last edition.

Today, I would like to go back to that same Manufacturer's manual - we started to look at it in the course of the last edition of this program. We saw that God Himself said that it is not good for a man to be alone; which means in the mind of God marriage is honourable. God Himself instituted marriage and so your marriage cannot violate Gods purpose by whatever you might be experiencing right now - God intended that marriage is good!

Now, what has happened that the same thing that God created and He brought forth by His power and His wisdom, how did that same thing become trouble in our flesh especially as we are going to be comparing and contrasting some of the things that you meet in the scriptures that will appear as a contradiction to God's original intent? We are going to be pointing those out today. How did those contrary observations come about and what had happened? What is God wanting us to know about marriage and about the Christian home as He conceived it in the beginning?

So I want us to quickly move back to Genesis chapter two where the matter really started.

Last week in Genesis Two we were able to study verse eighteen and we went essentially as far as verse twenty one. I would like to quickly repeat verse eighteen to verse twenty one, to see if we can quickly move on to verse twenty five today as the Lord enables us. Let's read it from the King James Version

Gen 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

Gen 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

Gen 2:20 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

Gen 2:21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;

Gen 2:22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

Gen 2:23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

Gen 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Gen 2:25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

May God bless His word into our hearts in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Now I realise even from this simple Scriptures we have read that there is a lot that we are going to be learning about on the intent of the Principles of God's original marriage for His people. This we shall be looking at in detail as we go through this series by the grace of God. But today I just want us to run through it and look at what marriage was in the beginning and how problem came in, how the trouble entered into marriage so that we might know how to treat it and how to deal with as the Lord grants us understanding.

We have said in verse eighteen that it was God Himself that said “It is not good for the man to be alone, I will make him an help meet for him.” Now, what we have said is that God Himself is the Originator and the Designer and the Creator of marriage, it is God Himself that said it is not good for the man to be alone and whatever reason God had by concluding that it is not good for a man to be alone, I believe that that wisdom of God is wiser than all wisdom we can put together today no matter how independent you feel you are and no matter how you have constructed your mind: it is simply because you do not really know that God had an intention for your marriage and that intention is not to bring trouble to your family, it is not to bring a liability to your life. You see that in verse eighteen God never called a woman a trouble, God never referred to your husband as an exploiter - God never brought a liability, a problem into your life by giving you that woman. Actually what God intends every marriage to be is a help: He said 'It is not good for the man to be alone, I will make for him an help uniquely fitting and uniquely qualified to meet the need in his life.' So I want you to agree with me here that every marriage instituted by God is meant to be a help, is meant to be a support is meant to enable a man fulfill the purpose, the call and the will of God for his life.

I would like to say immediately that your wife is not intended by God to be a trouble to your flesh; if she is giving you trouble today something else has happened and I want you to come with us carefully in order to find out how God will reveal where the trouble came about. If your husband is giving you heartache now, that was not God's intention and though you may think it is better for you not to be in that marriage, God still says marriage is good. So why don’t you seat down and say to God “how will you make my marriage work? How will you make my own marriage to become what you want it to be?” That’s the kind of thing we are trusting that the Lord will bring about in the Name of Jesus Christ as we continue this particular series of study.

I am coming back to deal with Genesis Two later on as we go on when we consider the principles of marriage by the grace of God. But at this juncture, I just want you to have an understanding that it is God that made this: He said “I will make him...” Gen. 2:18. We have spoken extensively about that.

Now in verse twenty one, we saw what God did and we saw a principle that the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam and he slept. Here, we are seeing that in order for God to make your wife for you, you must allow God to have His way; you must let God step into it and you must not interrupt or interfere in what God is about to do in that relationship in any way. I want us to go on believing that the messages that we have brought you in the past week will help you to catch up with us because I want us now to see something in verse Twenty One

I would like to say immediately that your wife is not intended by God to be a trouble to your flesh; if she is giving you trouble today something else has happened and I want you to come with us carefully in order to find out how God will reveal where the trouble came about. If your husband is giving you heartache now, that was not God's intention and though you may think it is better for you not to be in that marriage, God still says marriage is good. So why don’t you seat down and say to God “how will you make my marriage work? How will you make my own marriage to become what you want it to be?” That’s the kind of thing we are trusting that the Lord will bring about in the Name of Jesus Christ as we continue this particular series of study.

Gen 2:21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;

Gen 2:22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

Gen 2:23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

Let's pause here.

There is something that I notice God has done here in His original plan for marriage which if you begin to understand and you begin to apply your heart to it will turn your marriage around even as you listen to us.

The first thing I noticed is this - as the man released his life to God and he agreed to sleep, no longer worried and anxious, no longer running up and down, the Lord did something. He took one of the man's ribs and closed up the flesh instead thereof (and you will see something there) and from the rib which the Lord had taken from man He made a woman and brought it to the man. He looks to me as if in God's eternal wisdom for a correct marriage to take place and for a correct joining to take place God decided that the woman that must become the wife for Adam must originate, must have the same texture and the same nature as Adam himself. So you see God went ahead and took one rib out of the man and that rib He used to make the woman.

Now what is the implication of this? The first implication I want you to note here is the fact that God doesn’t make mistake when He chooses a man and a woman to become husband and wife. If you allow God to work on your marriage, He will never make a mistake, He normally will choose someone that is compatible with your life. God will normally choose someone and bring someone who will normally fit into your life, someone who can share your lifestyle: someone who can share the same vision, the same burden with your life. If your wife has not become that I am trusting God that this will happen in the Name of Jesus Christ.

Hear what the Word of God says - the Lord took one of his ribs, closed up the flesh instead thereof. What does that mean? It means that in order for marriage to actually become effective, God had to create a loop-hole in the life of that man. I would like to say to every man listening to me here that there is a missing rib in your life and the only person that God has made to bring that completeness, to restore that loss to your life is your wife - the woman God has made for you! It doesn’t matter how educated you are, it doesn’t matter how rich you think you have become and how independent you have become over the years - the truth is that there is a missing rib in your life, there is something that is missing in your life! You may not feel it because the Bible said God has closed up the flesh instead thereof. I want you to see the wisdom of God here that though God closed the flesh instead thereof, God only closed it until the right person will fit-in so that wrong things are not used to block it! I realise that God covered it not wanting you to be under pressure and not wanting the environmental circumstances to just come and fill your life! But that covering was only waiting until the right woman will be brought to fit in.

I pray that you will understand that e-v-e-r-y man has a need in his life and that need is the need for his wife, the need for a woman to come and fit-in and fill-up! You may be very good in many things and you may be perfect in many areas of life but there is a missing rib and it is only your wife, the woman that God is preparing and has made for your life, that can provide that missing rib. If you would see clearly in the Scripture where it said - and the rib which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman and brought her unto the man - that is the miracle of the Genesis Two marriage and that is the miracle of all Christian homes where-ever you allow God to handle the need of your life.
So you see that the Genesis Two marriage is not a competitive relationship but rather a complementary one: God prepares and God makes the woman to come and fit into the loop hole in the life of that man! God prepared that woman to come and provide that lack. You see in every home that God had instituted, that is what God wanted. Listen Madam (I want you to listen): God has not brought you into the life of your husband to compete with him - you are not supposed to compete with him! God has created a loop hole in his life so that you can fit in, so that you can supply that missing link! Some of you complain and say “my husband is not like this, my husband cannot do this and he is not like that.” Listen! those things that you are complaining about concerning your husband may be the missing rib. Would you look in to your own life and into your own make-up to check and find out if those things you are complaining about and those things that are missing in your husband are not the things God particularly built and emphasised in your character so that you and your husband could come together and become one flesh, so that everything in your marriage becomes complete and whole? Whatever we don’t find in your husband we should find it in your life!

That is the plan of God. Whatsoever your husband seem to have left undone, God's intention is that the supply, the completion, the fullness be brought into that man's life through your own life. That is the purpose of God. Now Madam, I want you to think as I go ahead. Husband! I want you to seat down and listen carefully - have you been bragging and believing that 'Well, I can do without my wife?' One of the things you need to recognise is that there is a place God particularly created for your wife! And that is why there is a missing rib in your life. That missing rib ought not to be the issue of quarreling! That missing rib ought not to be an issue you use to intimidate each other or you use to abuse each other. No! Madam, those things that you discovered to be missing in your husband's life, you were meant, you were created and designed by God to supply it.

So when I see a man complaining and saying “Well, my wife is not like me,” let me tell you: your wife was not designed nor made to be a duplication of yourself! You can see Jesus when He was answering that question in Matthew Nineteen, He said “Have you not read that He that made them at the beginning made them male and female.”

What is the meaning of that?

He did not make them male and male. May I say to you Mr. Man as you are flexing your muscles and you are bringing all your might to fight your wife, remember that she is only one rib and you are several ribs. God wanting to seal that vacuum in your life brought her into your life: that was God's eternal purpose for bringing that woman. She is not there to compete with you. So don't you keep on comparing and contrasting yourself with your wife. No! You are meant to complement each other, designed to fill up and compensate for each other! You know He said “a help meet...” May God help you to understand that word “...a help fit...” - a help that will just fit in … as if there was a socket and there is this bone that would enter in and everything will be complete. That is God's eternal purpose.

The Bible said “the rib which the Lord had taken from man made a woman and brought her unto the man.” You see God is planning to bring your woman, your wife, that particular woman He has been preparing. I told you that if you will allow God, He can work on your life, He can work on your husband, He can work on your wife so that God Himself will bring her to fit-in, even as we speak, no matter what might have gone amiss. And there will be no loop-hole again. God's intention for every couple when the two of them are joined together is that there should be a fitting-in and that there should be a joining and a cleaving and that they become one flesh, inseparable.

So the word of God said “And Adam said, this is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh, she shall be called woman because she was taken out of man.” Gen.2:23. You see in Genesis chapter two, the man realised (and for your marriage to be correct you need to come to this realization) that this woman you are seeing is not another person, she is not another personality, she is not just another woman coming from somewhere just to come and compete with you and you yourself are struggling with her. This is the bone of your bones! This woman is actually part and parcel of yourself and until she is brought in there will always remain a loop-hole in your life. Until your wife is integrated into your life there is always going to be a loop-hole in your life no matter how great you are, no matter how popular you may be in the society there will always remain a loop-hole in your life. There is only one person that can fit in - it is that woman.

Adam saw it and said “Ah-ah this now is the bone of my bone” (which means I have searched up and down for what could fit into my life and there was nothing that would fit, bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh). “She shall be called woman...” not because of anything, not because she is beautiful nor because she is hardworking but because she is taken out of man! I will be dealing with these principles much more when I am dealing with the roles, the responsibilities and relationship within the Christian home.

But what I am dealing with today is what is marriage in the beginning. I saw that marriage is not competitive – it is not a struggle between a man and a woman - and that God didn’t make them to be the same: they are not a duplication. Madam! God made them male and female: and so for you to keep dreaming when your husband will exactly become like yourself is a mistake - you have already missed the purpose of God for marriage if you do that. God had decided that those strong points of your life will be the weak point in your husband so that you could fit in. God deliberately made no husband and his wife to be equal. Are you understanding me now? None of you was particularly made to be at the same level. What God decided to do in His eternal wisdom is to create a gap (there is a gap in the life of the man) that the woman will fit into, and there is a need in the life of the woman that the man will come and complement. That was the purpose.

God now says “Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother and shall cleave unto his wife...” Gen 2:24 By the time we come again I would like you to follow me and we will look at - the therefore of marriage, the therefore of relationship. God will cause that to come as we study together in the name of Jesus Christ.

But meanwhile before we leave, Jesus said “have you not read?” Now, one thing that will solve the problem in your marriage is for you to go back and see what is the Manufacturer's manual. Let's study together, let's pray again and say “God! show me your eternal purpose.” Maybe you have been thinking that your wife is competing with you and you are competing with her in return. Stop that! She is supposed to complement you. Madam! you are supposed to fit into that man's life, his weakness is not supposed to be the basis of your quarrel!!

Bow your head right now and accept the man God gave you, accept the woman God gave you. Embrace her right now and say “Yes! you are my bone, my weakness you will supply, my strength I will pass on into your life so that the two of us might grow together and nobody would know who is strong and who is weak between me and you.”

7 Likes

Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by lawyer(m): 1:01pm On Nov 08, 2012
What of if a man continuously beats his wife or his wife is verbally abusive to the extent of making him insane, they shouldn't divorce abi because the bible didn't say so? And they are both Christians? undecided The real world takes precedent nowadays and human behavior is evolving that repels people and biblical laws didn't foresee most of these modern day immorality or sins, that's why the State law on separation or divorce should take precedent over biblical laws today.

For example, what if the man is a serial child molester or pedophile? Must she stay with such a man because the bible didn't state that's a reason? What if she is a gold digger and out to ruin her husband based on her selfishness, should the man still stay with her when its obvious she is out to destroy him?

3 Likes

Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by uyiekpenm(f): 1:05pm On Nov 08, 2012
jamp: Anybody dt divorces his/her partner on the groundsd of infidelity is not ready for marriage. The person has been looking for a way out of the union else why can't he/her forgive the person??

Really, wish I was married to u, I will continue to cheat on you and if u dare complain ...

1 Like

Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by nkbubu: 1:32pm On Nov 08, 2012
[quote author=binger]Thank you for elucidating these terms...i now know i should probably stay unmarried,many things are involved in this institution. [/quote
What u should have said is that you don't have the financial means of starting a family instead of hiding under this topic.if you are going to stay unmarried,you should also not have any relationship @ all!
Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by jamp: 1:35pm On Nov 08, 2012
uyiekpenm:

Really, wish I was married to u, I will continue to cheat on you and if u dare complain ...

That means cheating is in your nature.if you cheat and ask for forgiveness, I will forgive unless you did not ask then I will divorce you one hand
Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by Nobody: 1:40pm On Nov 08, 2012
As far as I'm concerned, there could be no room for divorce in a real Christian marriage.
Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by charlsecy4(m): 1:48pm On Nov 08, 2012
a1solution: 'IF YOU SAY BLOOD RELATION IS AN IMPEDIMENT' IN THE REAL SENSE EVERYBODY IS BROTHER AND SISTER, SO NO ONE SHOULD MARRY EACH OTHER.THINK ABOUT IT.

Most cultures define a degree of closeness within which a marriage cannot occur.

2 Likes

Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by Nobody: 1:57pm On Nov 08, 2012
A marriage instituted and led by God can't be divorced
Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by Nobody: 2:02pm On Nov 08, 2012
jamp: Anybody dt divorces his/her partner on the groundsd of infidelity is not ready for marriage. The person has been looking for a way out of the union else why can't he/her forgive the person??

What if she cheats on you with your brother or father and you even find out that some of your kids are for that person ans she isn't repentant, she apologises and does it again and again?

Or one's husband is convicted of rape or a woman discovers her husband is molesting her daughters. just pray you will never be in an unlivable situation o. Will you advise a woman to stay with a man who beats her and even molests her daughters? It's easy to judge from the outside and that's why Jesus said Judge not. Everyone has their own limits.
Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by jamp: 2:07pm On Nov 08, 2012
tatiana009:

What if she cheats on you with your brother or father and you even find out that some of your kids are for that person ans she isn't repentant, she apologises and does it again and again?

Or one's husband is convicted of rape or a woman discovers her husband is molesting her daughters. just pray you will never be in an unlivable situation o. Will you advise a woman to stay with a man who beats her and even molests her daughters? It's easy to judge from the outside and that's why Jesus said Judge not. Everyone has their own limits.

Like I said before, if after committing the tins u mentioned and the man asked for forgiveness, won't u forgive him? If u remove to forgive cos of what he has done and u are ready to divorce him then u are not a true christian. We should forgive 70 x 7 as Jesus said.

The only reason u can divorce is if the person refuses to repent and apologise.

1 Like

Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by Nobody: 2:14pm On Nov 08, 2012
jamp:

Like I said before, if after committing the tins u mentioned and the man asked for forgiveness, won't u forgive him? If u remove to forgive cos of what he has done and u are ready to divorce him then u are not a true christian. We should forgive 70 x 7 as Jesus said.

The only reason u can divorce is if the person refuses to repent and apologise.

I'll forgive but in the case of someone who sexually molests his daughters it will be a mad and evil mother who will remain in the same house and put her children in danger. You should always forgive people but if their behaviour is a threat to you or anyone else then you need to remove yourself from that environment.

1 Like

Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by dimusky: 2:18pm On Nov 08, 2012
jammyng: As far as I'm concerned, there could be no room for divorce in a real Christian marriage.

What if a partner walks out of the marriage and refuses to come back after all entreaty, what do you do? Wait indefinitely for an absentee partner?
Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by vanminister: 2:21pm On Nov 08, 2012
TRUE LOVE FROM THE COUPLE AT THE ONSET WILL COVER A LOT OF SINS. BUT WITH ONLY 1 OF THE PARTNER'S IN LOVE IT MAY NOT LAST EXCEPT BY THE GRACE OF GOD.

ONE FLESH. THE MEANING OF WHICH MILLIONS OF PEOPLE DO NOT UNDERSTAND EVEN IN THE CHURCH.

ONE FLESH IS ROMEO & JULIET. IF YOU ARE ABLE TO LIVE AFTER YOU LOSE YOUR SPOUSE EITHER BY DEATH OR OTHERWISE- I DOUBT A 100% LOVE AT THE ONSET.

REMEMBER RUTH & NAOMI? EVEN AFTER THE DEATH OF HER HUSBAND SHE STILL WANT TO CLING TO ANYTHING & EVRYTHING THAT WAS HER FORMERS!

MAY GOD GIVE US SUCH WIVES TODAY.

ONE FLESH CAN NEVER BE DIVIDED IF IT DIVIDES THAT'S THE END. ITS DEAD. ONE FLESH IS ONE BODY NOT TWO. CAN YOU SEPARATE ONE FLESH?

THIS IS A MYSTERY. MANY MARRIAGES ARE YET TO ENTER INTO A ONE FLESH-PARADISE!

GOD HELP US AND OPERATE IN OUR HEARTS TO RECEIVE THIS DIVINELY IMPARTED LOVE. AMEN
Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by charlsecy4(m): 2:27pm On Nov 08, 2012
tobechi20: Many of us wil stil end up divorcin 4 wrong reason
lawyer: What of if a man continuously beats his wife or his wife is verbally abusive to the extent of making him insane, they shouldn't divorce abi because the bible didn't say so?

They can divorce, but shouldn't remarry to other persons. The only option is reconciliation.

toluxa1: A whole lot of the points you have listed here especially with regards to annulment are not even close to Biblical.

Common wisdom should tell you that a marriage entered into using, say, deceit, force, is not ordained by GOD. Can you marry your blood relation, say, your sibling?

jamp: Anybody dt divorces his/her partner on the groundsd of infidelity is not ready for marriage.

You have said what you, yourself, know is not true!

jammyng: As far as I'm concerned, there could be no room for divorce in a real Christian marriage.
Tundeiknow: A marriage instituted and led by God can't be divorced

Please, quickly read Matthew 5:31-32.
Re: Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment by yoged(m): 2:46pm On Nov 08, 2012
Ndoz: 3rd noni
eruku wo le
I swear, you are a clown. Kaabo

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Would You Do If Your Spouse Told You He Stole N100m From Government? / Nigerian Couple Welcome Twins After 14 Years Of Marriage (Photos) / 70-year-old Woman Has Given Birth To Snakes (with Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.