Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,656 members, 7,820,287 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur (15480 Views)

Who Is An Entrepreneur? How Can She Survive In An Unfriendly Govt. Economy?? / Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler / Surprising Traits About Billionaires (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by KingSolomonI: 10:22am On Nov 08, 2012
Almost every article ever written about entrepreneurship suggests that it's not for everyone. And yet the articles go on to list attributes that many successful people possess as the traits commonly associated with great entrepreneurs, such as a strong work ethic, persistence, persuasiveness and discipline.

For 25 years, I have studied entrepreneurs and discovered that what contributed to their incredible success was not what society typically considers assets. People like John D. Rockefeller, Henry Ford and Oprah Winfrey didn't achieve greatness by possessing the traits and following the narrow path recommended by management gurus.

So, don't believe everything others say about you or how they label you. Maybe your supposed liabilities are really your assets. Here are 12 signs many people might consider a liability, but which can actually be indications that you are meant to be an entrepreneur.

1. Hate the Status Quo – It doesn't make sense to you that something has been done the time-honored way with no explanation why. You are not someone who wants to just go through the motions or sit by idly. Nor do you like following the pack.

2. Easily Bored - You find yourself easily bored, and others start viewing you as a problem. But nothing is wrong with you except that you are bored with activities that aren't up to your abilities and aren't challenging. That's why you hated most of the classes you ever attended. Think Bill Gates who dropped out of college to become one of the richest men in the world.

3. Fired from Jobs – You're too creative for your own good when it comes to working for others, and you may have some history, as I do, of losing jobs. Being just a cog in wheel is very difficult for you because you want to create something others can be inspired by and contribute to.

4. Labeled a Rebel - You know that greatness resides outside the lines of conformity and don't think that policies, laws and regulations apply to you. You have been described as a rebel and rule breaker and would defy gravity if you could.

5. Resist Authority - You have a lifelong record of resisting authority from your parents, teachers and bosses. You don't go along with the agreed upon norms of the group or community you work and live in.

6. Ready to Improve Everything - You always see how you could do things better. In addition, you are opinionated and freely give your two-cents about your better way of doing things--even when you're not asked.

7. Bad at Making Small Talk - You have difficulty making the kind of small talk that so many people get comfort from. This social pattern of relationship and rapport building seems like a waste of time to you and makes you uncomfortable.

8. Bullied in Your Youth - You may have been heavily criticized, picked on and even bullied as a child or teenager. This has caused you to be driven to excel and to prove to the world that you are indeed a force to be reckoned with.

9. Obsessive - You may have been labeled obsessive/compulsive because when you get started on something you have difficulty letting go. Don't let anyone convince you that this is a disease or deficiency. All of the great entrepreneurs become completely immersed in their vision. Howard Schultz stuck with Starbucks even when his family tried to persuade him not to.

10. Scared to Go Solo - The entrepreneur in you is scared of going out on your own—and also terrified of not doing so. This fear is so common in our society because we've been conditioned to think that entrepreneurship is much riskier than getting a "good job." The reality is there is instability in both.

11. Unable to Unwind - You can't go to sleep at night because you can't turn your thoughts off. An idea may even manifest itself in your dreams. The next morning you find yourself still consumed with that idea, distracting you from the job you're supposed to be doing.

12. Don't Fit the Norm - You have always been a bit uncomfortable in your own skin. Until you get used to the idea that you are in fact different from most people, it could prove to be a problem--or exactly the motivation you need to acknowledge the entrepreneur screaming to get out.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/224791?fb_ref=fbrec

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by KingSolomonI: 10:24am On Nov 08, 2012
I like the fired from jobs part.... grin grin grin it could also mean: Check yourself man!

6 Likes

Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by Nobody: 10:45am On Nov 08, 2012
This is so me.

1 Like

Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by wonderiyke(m): 11:22am On Nov 08, 2012
King Solomon I: Almost every article ever written about entrepreneurship suggests that it's not for everyone. And yet the articles go on to list attributes that many successful people possess as the traits commonly associated with great entrepreneurs, such as a strong work ethic, persistence, persuasiveness and discipline.

For 25 years, I have studied entrepreneurs and discovered that what contributed to their incredible success was not what society typically considers assets. People like John D. Rockefeller, Henry Ford and Oprah Winfrey didn't achieve greatness by possessing the traits and following the narrow path recommended by management gurus.

So, don't believe everything others say about you or how they label you. Maybe your supposed liabilities are really your assets. Here are 12 signs many people might consider a liability, but which can actually be indications that you are meant to be an entrepreneur.

1. Hate the Status Quo – It doesn't make sense to you that something has been done the time-honored way with no explanation why. You are not someone who wants to just go through the motions or sit by idly. Nor do you like following the pack.

2. Easily Bored - You find yourself easily bored, and others start viewing you as a problem. But nothing is wrong with you except that you are bored with activities that aren't up to your abilities and aren't challenging. That's why you hated most of the classes you ever attended. Think Bill Gates who dropped out of college to become one of the richest men in the world.

3. Fired from Jobs – You're too creative for your own good when it comes to working for others, and you may have some history, as I do, of losing jobs. Being just a cog in wheel is very difficult for you because you want to create something others can be inspired by and contribute to.

4. Labeled a Rebel - You know that greatness resides outside the lines of conformity and don't think that policies, laws and regulations apply to you. You have been described as a rebel and rule breaker and would defy gravity if you could.

5. Resist Authority - You have a lifelong record of resisting authority from your parents, teachers and bosses. You don't go along with the agreed upon norms of the group or community you work and live in.

6. Ready to Improve Everything - You always see how you could do things better. In addition, you are opinionated and freely give your two-cents about your better way of doing things--even when you're not asked.

7. Bad at Making Small Talk - You have difficulty making the kind of small talk that so many people get comfort from. This social pattern of relationship and rapport building seems like a waste of time to you and makes you uncomfortable.

8. Bullied in Your Youth - You may have been heavily criticized, picked on and even bullied as a child or teenager. This has caused you to be driven to excel and to prove to the world that you are indeed a force to be reckoned with.

9. Obsessive - You may have been labeled obsessive/compulsive because when you get started on something you have difficulty letting go. Don't let anyone convince you that this is a disease or deficiency. All of the great entrepreneurs become completely immersed in their vision. Howard Schultz stuck with Starbucks even when his family tried to persuade him not to.

10. Scared to Go Solo - The entrepreneur in you is scared of going out on your own—and also terrified of not doing so. This fear is so common in our society because we've been conditioned to think that entrepreneurship is much riskier than getting a "good job." The reality is there is instability in both.

11. Unable to Unwind - You can't go to sleep at night because you can't turn your thoughts off. An idea may even manifest itself in your dreams. The next morning you find yourself still consumed with that idea, distracting you from the job you're supposed to be doing.

12. Don't Fit the Norm - You have always been a bit uncomfortable in your own skin. Until you get used to the idea that you are in fact different from most people, it could prove to be a problem--or exactly the motivation you need to acknowledge the entrepreneur screaming to get out.

@OP: The entire write-up makes sense. Excellent profiling....
Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by slimming: 11:25am On Nov 08, 2012

May not be right.

1 Like

Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by a1solution: 12:29pm On Nov 08, 2012
I MADE MY MONEY WHEN I STOP READIND ALL THIS BOOK, THEY ARE JUST BRAINWASHING PEOPLE TO MAKE MONEY.
I REMEMBER WHEN AFTER READING ONE BOOK I STOP DRINKING PURE WATER COS FOR ME THEN, AFTER READING THE BOOK SACHET WATER AND CHEAP GOODS ARE FOR POOR MEN, SO I ONLY BUY RAGOLIS OR EVA WATER, BUT THINGS GOT WORST BEFORE I ADVISED MYSELF AND REVERSED TO THE OLD WAYS AND LATER HIT IT BIG. SO SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR BETTER THING. READ NEWS SURF THE NET FOR NEW KNOWLEDGE NOT THOSE MOTIVATIONAL BOOK AND ADVICE WHICH IS FOR THE BETTERMENT OF THE WRITTER AND NOT YOU.

17 Likes

Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by Nobody: 12:31pm On Nov 08, 2012
Hmmm...insightful,but not a guarantee to determine entrepreneurship skills in any person smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by Kx: 12:33pm On Nov 08, 2012
King Solomon I:

1. Hate the Status Quo
2. Easily Bored
6. Ready to Improve Everything
9. Obsessive
11. Unable to Unwind
12. Don't Fit the Norm
Absolutely true imo.
Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by Nobody: 12:46pm On Nov 08, 2012
wonderiyke:

You are very Stup*d for quoting the entire shi*.
If those are criteria that you are an entrepreneur, then, witches are really following you from ur village.

4 Likes

Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by prettyboi1(m): 12:47pm On Nov 08, 2012
This article absolutely & rightly points out the characteristic traits & features of an entrepreneur and/or someone who is very likely to become an entrepreneur.
Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by hustla(m): 12:50pm On Nov 08, 2012
the OP is toking to me gangan shet!! shocked shocked
Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by 1800bc(f): 12:52pm On Nov 08, 2012
solidbroda: You are very Stup*d for quoting the entire shi*.
If those are criteria that you are an entrepreneur, then, witches are really following you from ur village.

u harsh o! grin grin grin
Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by vislabraye(m): 12:59pm On Nov 08, 2012
A lot of truth in what has been said.
In life there are really no absolutes so there might be some exceptions.

1 Like

Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by AkinDavid2: 1:06pm On Nov 08, 2012
How does this concern Dangote, Otedola, Jimoh Ibrahim and Adenuga eh!!!
Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by megareal: 1:12pm On Nov 08, 2012
Makes better sense than some of those hogwash penned by some writers.
Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by Nobody: 1:28pm On Nov 08, 2012
Good signs, wish it's always so.
Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by crackhaus: 1:40pm On Nov 08, 2012
Particularly love No.7 and No.12. As for No.5, well I had/have that problem but I'm not quite sure if its entrepreneural characteristic. No.5 is more like arrogane or is this a trait also? *thinking profusely*
Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by CzarChris(m): 1:40pm On Nov 08, 2012
dude do u actually need to insult someone to prove a point or get noticed? That statement you made was totally uncalled for. Please show signs of good parental upbringing and don't always be confrontational, unless otherwise confronted

7 Likes

Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by chinedum13(m): 1:45pm On Nov 08, 2012
a1solution: I MADE MY MONEY WHEN I STOP READIND ALL THIS BOOK, THEY ARE JUST BRAINWASHING PEOPLE TO MAKE MONEY.
I REMEMBER WHEN AFTER READING ONE BOOK I STOP DRINKING PURE WATER COS FOR ME THEN, AFTER READING THE BOOK SACHET WATER AND CHEAP GOODS ARE FOR POOR MEN, SO I ONLY BUY RAGOLIS OR EVA WATER, BUT THINGS GOT WORST BEFORE I ADVISED MYSELF AND REVERSED TO THE OLD WAYS AND LATER HIT IT BIG. SO SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR BETTER THING. READ NEWS SURF THE NET FOR NEW KNOWLEDGE NOT THOSE MOTIVATIONAL BOOK AND ADVICE WHICH IS FOR THE BETTERMENT OF THE WRITTER AND NOT YOU.
am right behind you guy shocked shocked shocked shocked
that's jst it

2 Likes

Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by rubion: 1:45pm On Nov 08, 2012
wonderiyke:

you are an idi0t for quoting the whole post. damn.

3 Likes

Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by segzicres(m): 1:48pm On Nov 08, 2012
Make alotta sense tho! Practically err'thing is bout me. Esp d fact that I hate to b in d office! D shii irritates me like cray!
Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by chinedum13(m): 1:51pm On Nov 08, 2012
King Solomon I: I like the fired from jobs part.... grin grin grin it could also mean: Check yourself man!
guy don't worry very soon your boss will fire you, when hunger strike you once no one will tell you to hasting up and keep you job grin grin grin grin
Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by phaya(f): 1:51pm On Nov 08, 2012
a1solution: I MADE MY MONEY WHEN I STOP READIND ALL THIS BOOK, THEY ARE JUST BRAINWASHING PEOPLE TO MAKE MONEY.

Read books on how to spell and use of puntuation marks wink

3 Likes

Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by bakila: 2:01pm On Nov 08, 2012
you wan spoil motivatitor market. Reading has benefits.
Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by OkwaIfugo(m): 2:07pm On Nov 08, 2012
google billgates and you will be glad you did.
Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by Iolo(m): 2:12pm On Nov 08, 2012
King Solomon I: I like the fired from jobs part.... grin grin grin it could also mean: Check yourself man!

Or they are pursuing you from the village.
Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by Decapo: 2:25pm On Nov 08, 2012
slimming:

May not be right.
you dont have to quote all

1 Like

Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by Classicalman(m): 2:27pm On Nov 08, 2012
Akin-David:
How does this concern Dangote, Otedola, Jimoh Ibrahim and Adenuga eh!!!
We don't mean those who made their money through Government patronages and contracts.
Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by AkinDavid2: 2:30pm On Nov 08, 2012
Classicalman: We don't mean those who made their money through Government patronages and contracts.

Guy can you substantiate? May be re-define entrepreneurship?
Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by chaotik(m): 2:32pm On Nov 08, 2012
good write up @op . . . u've just given LOSERS an atom of hope at life . . .

#get a life

change is constant . . . so CHANGE and be adapted by society rather than thinking if ur crazy enough to change the world . . . YOU CAN. GUY u CAN'T

people we use as references e.g bill, bezos, zuckerberg, jobs, schultz, herb K, waltons, buffet and d list goes on have NO and i repeat NO similarities with you or aforementioned.

there's a big difference between an idea plan and a business plan . . .

having the necessary skill set to act as a catalyst for the conversion process is step at it

bla bla bla . . . there's a lot to entrepreneurship than we all know . . .

started my journey tho . . .

1 Like

Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by Oluti(m): 2:33pm On Nov 08, 2012
Why do you have to insult him for expressing his opinion? Do moderators still read some of these posts.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be An Entrepreneur by xandy84: 2:51pm On Nov 08, 2012

You dey vex ooooo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Journey To $1k In 30 Days With Cpa / Travellers Can’t Get Forex As Dollar Scarcity Persists / Traders In Jigawa, Kano Ignore Governors’ Directive, Reject Old Naira Notes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.