Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,819 members, 7,817,385 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

Igbo learning thread + Translator - Culture (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo learning thread + Translator (229142 Views)

Translator / Looking For A Calabar Translator / Online English To Igbo Translator ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by iSlayer: 9:20pm On Jan 30, 2017
And you guys ChinenyeN and Odumchi didn't for a second think that speaking exclusively in Ngwa dialect would just appear a bit OFFENSIVE to other Igbo here. The thread was immaculate before you guys started all that.

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by ChinenyeN(m): 9:32pm On Jan 30, 2017
So, "Igbo" people can now get offended when "Igbo" people speak "Igbo" language nowadays? Or is it because it is "weird" Ngwa and not "sweet sweet" Anambra that people will now become offended? Are we no longer "Igbo" people anymore speaking "Igbo" language? Abeg. Just continue enjoying the thread. Someone writing in Ngwa should never be reason enough for you or anyone else to turn sour unless you have some sort of internal issue with Ngwa.

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by iSlayer: 10:57pm On Jan 30, 2017
ChinenyeN:
So, "Igbo" people can now get offended when "Igbo" people speak "Igbo" language nowadays? Or is it because it is "weird" Ngwa and not "sweet sweet" Anambra that people will now become offended? Are we no longer "Igbo" people anymore speaking "Igbo" language? Abeg. Just continue enjoying the thread. Someone writing in Ngwa should never be reason enough for you or anyone else to turn sour unless you have some sort of internal issue with Ngwa.

My brother,I was only watering it down. It's infact very OFFENSIVE to go exclusively Ngwa on a thread where the whole Igbo are supposed to be feel welcome. It is totally insensitive to do that. There was even a girl asking that you both revert to Izugbe but all to no avail. What message are you trying to pass across? Your last statement and you calling your own dialect "weird" smacks of victim mentality. I love and respect Igbo but going all Ngwa (knowing others cannot follow) is not the best,you're simply trying to play out fellow Igbo with some imagined advantage
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by ChinenyeN(m): 11:28pm On Jan 30, 2017
Interesting. It is very offensive that two Igbo people will be casually enjoying Igbo language between themselves (and at no one's expense no less), yet you and yours will turn around to say that all Igbo should be welcomed on this platform. Hmm.

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by 3RNEST(m): 9:56am On Jan 31, 2017
What is Ngwa?
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 10:33am On Feb 02, 2017
this thread is good
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by iSlayer: 12:42pm On Feb 02, 2017
ChinenyeN:
Interesting. It is very offensive that two Igbo people will be casually enjoying Igbo language between themselves (and at no one's expense no less), yet you and yours will turn around to say that all Igbo should be welcomed on this platform. Hmm.

Act the fool bro,it's all good. Continue.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by ChinenyeN(m): 3:07pm On Feb 02, 2017
*smiles*

On a more serious note, I hear you, iSlayer. I get your point, but I simply won't concede to it, because I believe it is utterly childish that Igbo people, after opening their mouths to spew that "Igbo bu Igbo" jargon, will use those same mouths and say that they are offended (offended.. just imagine) when dialects are spoken, no matter the time and place.

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 3:40pm On Feb 02, 2017
what is the meaning of " O di Amaka"
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by iSlayer: 7:47pm On Feb 02, 2017
ChinenyeN:
*smiles*

On a more serious note, I hear you, iSlayer. I get your point, but I simply won't concede to it, because I believe it is utterly childish that Igbo people, after opening their mouths to spew that "Igbo bu Igbo" jargon, will use those same mouths and say that they are offended (offended.. just imagine) when dialects are spoken, no matter the time and place.

@FirstBolded - We know the fact you don't play well with fellow Igbo here. We also know your don't buy into the general one Igbo tag,you subtly advance this notion of a dinstinct Ngwa people. I see this occasionally among the Ngwa people. Whatever your qualms are,no one can tell. Honestly,I don't see it being anything sensible. No offence.

@SecondBolded - Wrong. Igbo is a language,however there are dialects. You may not really be impressed or believe in the whole Igbo bu Igbo thing but I do. Very very strongly too. So I appreciate every dialect,from Ogbuinike to Abakaliki,Ohafia to Ngwa and even Ikwerre but on this thread you got it wrong and you know it. I can quote a post here from an Nsukka girl who asked you and Odumch! to shift to Izugbe but you simply shrugged her off,for you she didn't exist,you were totally lost in your effort to foist Ngwa on us and on the thread. Smh* That and many of your comments here betray your dissatisfaction with whatever bugs you. As I said before,feel free to continue on that path you're on. It's all good.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by ChinenyeN(m): 8:46pm On Feb 02, 2017
Odumchi and I were having a casual conversation between ourselves, and in your mind that qualifies as an attempt to foist Ngwa upon you on this thread? Is this seriously your mentality?

Sigh... I would say that you entirely misread the entire thing, but that may just fall on deaf ears.

If your love for Igbo is that intense that you would so choose to be offended by the casual banter between Odumchi and I, then so be it. As it so happens though, you are right in that I am not at all impressed by Igbo bu Igbo, and as such I don't share your propensity to take offense. Perhaps your problem isn't with Ngwa, or even Odumchi and I having a casual conversation (because I find it difficult to conceive of you taking this same stance with two people casually speaking in one Anambra dialect or two people casually going at it in Abiriba, etc.). Perhaps it is me, personally, that you might likely have in issue with.

Whether you consciously realize it or not, you and I are essentially at odds in ideology. You believe so much in your Igbo bu Igbo (very very strongly, as you claimed), and you realize that I don't share that zeal in any way. Perhaps you're too concerned with my not playing well with other Igbo that you simply interpret my action to be an affront to you and your Igbo beliefs, and as such take offense even when you needn't. Now, before you or anyone else asserts that I am deviating or derailing, it should be made known that I only entertained this thought process because you, iSlayer, by your hand, have realigned the focus of our discussion from speaking with dialects to addressing me and the fact that I don't buy into Igbo bu Igbo the way you do. Also, it is because I simply cannot conceive of you taking offense (offense of all things) with others the way you seemingly have taken offense with me.

Perhaps, that might be where this is coming from, whether consciously or subconsciously. I cannot claim to be in your head. Neither am I claiming this thought process to be an indisputable truth. I simply thought I'd bring it to your attention seeing as to how you, perhaps unknowingly, realigned the focus of our discussion.

So, a casual conversation for me becomes interpreted as an attempt to hoist Ngwa for you, and as such you have taken offense. Perhaps that is what is happening right now. Or perhaps I'm simply outright wrong. Either way, I take nothing back. I enjoyed my casual banter with Odumchi, and if the opportunity presented itself (be it with Odumchi or anyone else), I'd do it again, because I see nothing wrong in doing so.

I guess that's enough writing on the subject for me.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by RedboneSmith(m): 9:09pm On Feb 02, 2017
I spotted some people writing Anambra here and no one asked them to switch to Igbo Izugbe. Just an observation.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by iSlayer: 2:27pm On Feb 03, 2017
ChinenyeN:
Odumchi and I were having a casual conversation between ourselves, and in your mind that qualifies as an attempt to foist Ngwa upon you on this thread? Is this seriously your mentality?

Sigh... I would say that you entirely misread the entire thing, but that may just fall on deaf ears.

If your love for Igbo is that intense that you would so choose to be offended by the casual banter between Odumchi and I, then so be it. As it so happens though, you are right in that I am not at all impressed by Igbo bu Igbo, and as such I don't share your propensity to take offense. Perhaps your problem isn't with Ngwa, or even Odumchi and I having a casual conversation (because I find it difficult to conceive of you taking this same stance with two people casually speaking in one Anambra dialect or two people casually going at it in Abiriba, etc.). Perhaps it is me, personally, that you might likely have in issue with.

Whether you consciously realize it or not, you and I are essentially at odds in ideology. You believe so much in your Igbo bu Igbo (very very strongly, as you claimed), and you realize that I don't share that zeal in any way. Perhaps you're too concerned with my not playing well with other Igbo that you simply interpret my action to be an affront to you and your Igbo beliefs, and as such take offense even when you needn't. Now, before you or anyone else asserts that I am deviating or derailing, it should be made known that I only entertained this thought process because you, iSlayer, by your hand, have realigned the focus of our discussion from speaking with dialects to addressing me and the fact that I don't buy into Igbo bu Igbo the way you do. Also, it is because I simply cannot conceive of you taking offense (offense of all things) with others the way you seemingly have taken offense with me.

Perhaps, that might be where this is coming from, whether consciously or subconsciously. I cannot claim to be in your head. Neither am I claiming this thought process to be an indisputable truth. I simply thought I'd bring it to your attention seeing as to how you, perhaps unknowingly, realigned the focus of our discussion.

So, a casual conversation for me becomes interpreted as an attempt to hoist Ngwa for you, and as such you have taken offense. Perhaps that is what is happening right now. Or perhaps I'm simply outright wrong. Either way, I take nothing back. I enjoyed my casual banter with Odumchi, and if the opportunity presented itself (be it with Odumchi or anyone else), I'd do it again, because I see nothing wrong in doing so.

I guess that's enough writing on the subject for me.

1) I do not have anything against you.

2) I've told you before that you can do whatever you want. It's all good.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by iSlayer: 2:27pm On Feb 03, 2017
[s]
RedboneSmith:
I spotted some people writing Anambra here and no one asked them to switch to Igbo Izugbe. Just an observation.
[/s]
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Nobody: 4:46am On Feb 04, 2017
www.ezeja.com/ezejigbo
We don't speak of Igbo, we speak Igbo
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by iamdurent(m): 4:48pm On Mar 06, 2017
EzePromoe:

Muah Muah kiss kiss Will be back later, let me visit my other thread. Don't say what will make them beat you, you hear wink when i come back i'll by you some goody goody. Be a good girl, you hear. Daddy loves you! wink
what is oyoyomuagubgho
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by iamdurent(m): 5:00pm On Mar 06, 2017
Cyberknight:
Eriri nke a masiri m nke ukwu. Anyi macha n'otutu ndi Igbo amaghi kp'e si asu asusu nwuo. Ikwuo eziokwu, esokwa m n'ime ha, rika ndi a muru na Lagos k'a m wu. Ma na o nwere ihe na-agbagoju m anya: a hube m onye Yoruba nenweghi ike isu asusu ha. Ebe obula ha ji muo nwuo, ha na-asu asusu ha, suda ya n'ala. K'anyi jisikwa ike muta asusu anyi, na-asukwa ya ebe obula anyi no, maka na okwa unu maa na asusu na-anwu anwu mgbe enweghi otutu mmadu na-asu ya. Anyi bu ndi a muru mgbe aluchara ogu Biafra amutaghi Igbo ofuma. Ari kpa umum anyi ga-eme? Ma umu umu anyi? O buru nenweghi ihe anyi mere ugbulaka maka ime k'asusu anyi di ndu, o ga-ala. Jisienu ike.
which kan mumu write up be dis. Obu jisike biko.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by iamdurent(m): 5:28pm On Mar 06, 2017
EzePromoe:
WHAT WE CALL PEOPLE OF OTHER TRIBES
Yorubaman- Onye Yoruba, Onye Yoruba (offensive)
Hausaman- Onye Aboki, Onye Awusa
Ijawman- Onye mbammiri
Efik/Ibibio/Annang man- Onye Kalaba
Englishman- Onye obodo Oyibo
Frenchman- Onye obodo Fransii
Ndi ofe mmanu
Ndi alakuba
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Cyberknight: 8:55am On Mar 08, 2017
iamdurent:
which kan mumu write up be dis. Obu jisike biko.

Obviously you are an uneducated fool who doesn't understand the meaning of the word "dialect' as well as a very small boy of no background.

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by iamdurent(m): 12:46pm On Mar 08, 2017
Cyberknight:

Obviously you are an uneducated fool who doesn't understand the meaning of the word "dialect' as well as a very small boy of no background.
u dy find person wey go follow u exchange word. Person open thread to teach people central igbo. U come here dey speak ur local dialect. Stupid idiot, go find person wey u go out talk for him mouth.
Small boi indeed, u wey come be old man. Onye iberibe
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Cyberknight: 2:55pm On Mar 08, 2017
iamdurent:
u dy find person wey go follow u exchange word. Person open thread to teach people central igbo. U come here dey speak ur local dialect. Stupid idiot, go find person wey u go out talk for him mouth.
Small boi indeed, u wey come be old man. Onye iberibe

Why would I want to exchange words with a small boy who is desperately seeking to grow a beard and pubic hair by force to the extent of taking female hormones? (https://www.nairaland.com/3662410/taking-postinor-2-give-me)

Obviously you are also confused as well as uneducated, so I shall leave you to your ignorance and crass stupidity. Come back when you are a real man, not a child.

Jisie ike.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by iamdurent(m): 8:37pm On Mar 08, 2017
Cyberknight:

Why would I want to exchange words with a small boy who is desperately seeking to grow a beard and pubic hair by force to the extent of taking female hormones? (https://www.nairaland.com/3662410/taking-postinor-2-give-me)

Obviously you are also confused as well as uneducated, so I shall leave you to your ignorance and crass stupidity. Come back when you are a real man, not a child.

Jisie ike.
so anybody wey wan grow beard now na small pikin. Idiot don go dig inside my profile. Jobless idiot. Am done replying u
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 8:03am On Mar 11, 2017
MPVGoddess:
so how does one say:

1. i miss you
I've not seen an Igbo Izugbe translation to this but I guess some dialects old enough would have an answer to it. ChinenyeN, how do your people translate this? For me, I say E misirim gi

2. i want to see you
Achorom ihu gi

3. can we meet
Anyi enwere ik'ihu?

in Igbo?

Thanks
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 8:08am On Mar 11, 2017
iamdurent:
what is oyoyomuagubgho
Hmmm, that's my title o. It means the toast (or sweetness) of young ladies cool cool cool
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by iamdurent(m): 12:38pm On Mar 11, 2017
EzePromoe:

Hmmm, that's my title o. It means the toast (or sweetness) of young ladies cool cool cool
ladies na agbobia na.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by ChinenyeN(m): 3:43pm On Mar 11, 2017
Ezepromoe, we translate that by using our word for nostalgia and longing. I'd like to believe that other Igbo speech forms also have words or expressions for nostalgia and longing. Using those expressions, they should be able to express the sentence "I miss you".

I believe I've seen agwa somewhere either for some other dialects or for Izugbe. So, using agwa, someone could say "agwa gi na-ama m". I'm sure each dialect region may have an expression of their own for nostalgia or longing. If they use it in a similar way, they can all create the "I miss you" sentence.

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by Chysler(m): 5:35pm On Mar 11, 2017
I miss you --- Atukatagom anya gi!
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 6:40pm On Mar 11, 2017
iamdurent:
ladies na agbobia na.
It is from agbogho you get agboghobia nau! cheesy
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 6:51pm On Mar 11, 2017
ChinenyeN:
Ezepromoe, we translate that by using our word for nostalgia and longing. I'd like to believe that other Igbo speech forms also have words or expressions for nostalgia and longing. Using those expressions, they should be able to express the sentence "I miss you".

I believe I've seen agwa somewhere either for some other dialects or for Izugbe. So, using agwa, someone could say "agwa gi na-ama m". I'm sure each dialect region may have an expression of their own for nostalgia or longing. If they use it in a similar way, they can all create the "I miss you" sentence.
"Agwa gi na-ama m" looks cool though I wasn't expecting it from that angle. But whichever dialect has a literal translation to that should be adapted. That's how languages are developed centerally. Chrysler's translation, "atukatagom anya gi" seems perfect to me.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by RedboneSmith(m): 7:26pm On Mar 11, 2017
EzePromoe:

"Agwa gi na-ama m" looks cool though I wasn't expecting it from that angle. But whichever dialect has a literal translation to that should be adapted. That's how languages are developed centerally. Chrysler's translation, "atukatagom anya gi" seems perfect to me.

"Atukatagom anya gi" is more like "I have been expecting you" than "I miss you", isn't it?

1 Like

Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by EzePromoe: 9:57pm On Mar 11, 2017
RedboneSmith:

"Atukatagom anya gi" is more like "I have been expecting you" than "I miss you", isn't it?
Yeah. Both English phrases are almost synonymous to one another though.
Re: Igbo learning thread + Translator by bigfrancis21: 9:02am On Mar 12, 2017
I miss you: anya gi? Or anya gi na-eme m?

There may be no direct translation of I miss you in Igbo. However, we may have close statements conveying the same purpose which may not be as direct in English.

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (Reply)

Igbo-Nigerian Men Are The Most Handsome Men In Africa! / The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.