Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,116 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

Novak Djokovic Beats Roger Federer To Win ATP World Title - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Novak Djokovic Beats Roger Federer To Win ATP World Title (2838 Views)

Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... / Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold / Rafael Nadal Vs Roger Federer Who Is The Best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Novak Djokovic Beats Roger Federer To Win ATP World Title by kosalabaro: 8:41am On Nov 13, 2012
Novak Djokovic put a firm stamp on his position as world number one with a stunning victory over Roger Federer in the ATP World Tour Finals.

The Serb won 7-6 (8-6) 7-5 to add the season-ending title to his Australian Open victory and top ranking.

He needed two hours and 14 minutes to take two sets in a match of dramatic swings in momentum.

It is the second time Djokovic has won the ATP finale, following his triumph in Shanghai four years ago.

"I was just trying to hang in there," said Djokovic.

"It's not the first time that Roger started so well against me. I've experienced before his aggression, really trying to put his mark on the match."

He added: "Whenever I needed to come up with some really good shots - really focus myself and get every ball back in the court - I did that, so I cannot be more thrilled than now."

"Novak Djokovic again showed his resilience. Roger Federer came out firing all cylinders, but Djokovic dug in. It was a fitting match to finish an unbelievable year. It was a fitting shot to finish too, with Djokovic out wide under pressure, finding the way to win the match with a spectacular backhand. The swings in momentum were so difficult to predict, but I think Djokovic deserved the victory. It's fitting reward that he's been able to win the end-of-year championship."

Federer was attempting to become the first man since Ivan Lendl 25 years ago to win a hat-trick of season-ending championships, and his seventh overall.

"Maybe there's a bit of regret because I had the lead twice before him," the 31-year-old admitted in defeat.

"At the end of the day that doesn't matter, you have to get over the finish line in the set and then obviously the match. He was better at that today.

"What he does well - even in defence he stays somewhat offensive. That, I think, is what separates him from the rest a little bit."

Federer has made London's O2 Arena a second home in winning there for the last two years and, as ever, the Swiss did not lack for support.

The atmosphere might not have been cranked up at the start as it was in Sunday's semi-final against Andy Murray, but the Federer fans were in full voice as their man reeled off the first nine points.

Djokovic appeared nervous, fluffing a routine volley and firing long as he slipped, and there were ironic cheers when he finally got on the board in game three.

The winners were flowing from Federer but it was a case of brilliance against resilience as Djokovic dug in and weathered the storm by extending the rallies whenever possible.
Recent champions

2011: Roger Federer
2010: Roger Federer
2009: Nikolay Davydenko
2008: Novak Djokovic
2007: Roger Federer
2006: Roger Federer
2005: David Nalbandian
2004: Roger Federer
2003: Roger Federer
2002: Lleyton Hewitt

Federer netted a forehand to give back the break in game five and the contest came alive.

Djokovic hit a brilliant cross-court forehand winner when tumbling to his right to move 5-4 ahead, but he failed to convert a set point on serve and Federer hit back to level at 5-5.

The heavy blows took a physical toll when Djokovic was knocked off his feet by a Federer effort and needed attention at the changeover, but the hour mark passed and the pair headed to a tie-break.

Djokovic took the initiative in it, but when Federer played a spectacular forehand winner, almost from behind him, he punched the air and brought the O2 crowd to its feet.

The only person apparently unaffected was Djokovic, who moments later clinched the set anyway with a forehand winner after a Federer error.

An eight-minute game at the start of the second set suggested there was still nothing between them, and when Djokovic succumbed on the fourth break point he smacked his racquet in anger on the blue court - another long battle loomed.

Federer resumed his early dominance, and when he saw off a break point at 4-3 with an ace he looked on course to force a decider.

Djokovic had recovered from worse positions against Murray and Juan Martin del Potro in the last week, however, and Federer helped him out when serving for the set at 40-15.

His forehand deserted him and two set points went begging as Djokovic, now peppering the baseline with his returns, reeled off four straight points to level.

Having been on the verge of levelling the match, Federer was now hanging on for dear life.

Djokovic battled through his own service game and a couple more loose shots from Federer, under pressure from the Serb's returns, offered up match point, seemingly from nowhere.

The final point was played out much like the match, with Federer taking control only for Djokovic to come up with the answer - a spectacular backhand down the line on the stretch.

It was a breathtaking shot on which to end the tennis year, and one that summed up why Djokovic remains number one among such star-studded company.

"It's the best way to finish a match, I guess, with a passing shot - one of my favourite shots," he concluded.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/20293161

1 Like

Re: Novak Djokovic Beats Roger Federer To Win ATP World Title by SamMilla1(m): 12:06pm On Nov 13, 2012
He was already number one before the game.
Re: Novak Djokovic Beats Roger Federer To Win ATP World Title by Khayordhe: 12:07pm On Nov 13, 2012
Thumps up,mah main man
Re: Novak Djokovic Beats Roger Federer To Win ATP World Title by Iaz93: 12:09pm On Nov 13, 2012
I have a dream, that one day I'll play DJOKOVIC...before he retires/dies. . .and where the fvck is Nadal. .what's happening to him
Re: Novak Djokovic Beats Roger Federer To Win ATP World Title by fadamekus(m): 12:11pm On Nov 13, 2012
That's cool thumps up man
Re: Novak Djokovic Beats Roger Federer To Win ATP World Title by dilbert100: 12:12pm On Nov 13, 2012
he is top class.......and i think will win more
Re: Novak Djokovic Beats Roger Federer To Win ATP World Title by frederick106(m): 12:17pm On Nov 13, 2012
Oboi thus post long die
Re: Novak Djokovic Beats Roger Federer To Win ATP World Title by femzy(m): 12:18pm On Nov 13, 2012
Stale gist. embarassed Disappointed with mods on here. While this match was going on; some were busy watching the "Onila Loves Bad Boys" movie.
Re: Novak Djokovic Beats Roger Federer To Win ATP World Title by Yello1(m): 12:36pm On Nov 13, 2012
Uhmmm!fed express is my main man anyday,better days ahead
Re: Novak Djokovic Beats Roger Federer To Win ATP World Title by Akposkool(m): 12:47pm On Nov 13, 2012
The thing with djokovic is that he is d combination of both federer's spining,and nadal's stretching game.thats why he always wins.although roger did hammered him alot this year.waiting for my nadal to get back to fitness cus that broda is really gud.its gud 2 si healthy rivalries in sports these days.in football there is d messi n ronaldo struggle,boxing has paquaio n mayweather,while tennis is a three horse race between djokovic,nadal n federer.
Re: Novak Djokovic Beats Roger Federer To Win ATP World Title by GentleNaaz(m): 12:57pm On Nov 13, 2012
Novak beat federa, JTF beat bokoha, messi beat cr7 of portugal, man city beat spurs, fashiola beat lagosians, C Brown beat Rihana, na so i go carry styl beat my al of una we dy read ds
Re: Novak Djokovic Beats Roger Federer To Win ATP World Title by Freezle(m): 5:32pm On Nov 14, 2012
novak is still the man any time any day....number 1 spot is your bro

(1) (Reply)

Best Basketball Tips In Here / 2006/2007 Premiership: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly / How Does It Work On Www.1960bet.ng/odds/registration/affiliate40498

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.