Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,547 members, 7,861,597 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 03:10 PM

Site Review Pls - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Site Review Pls (775 Views)

Lagoslabs.com Site Review / Colorbox / Thickbox / Critical Site Review / Site Review: Naija Lingo (pidgin English Dictionary) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Site Review Pls by nduaj(m): 8:17am On Feb 05, 2008
Hi,

how una dey? abeg can u guys reiew this site for me www.banwo-ighodalo.com

thnks
Re: Site Review Pls by my2cents(m): 11:45am On Feb 05, 2008
nduaj, nice site. If I am not mistaken, the last site you posted for review was that of a law firm as well. Do I spot a trend? tongue

Having said that, here are a few pointers:

1) I like the home page. However, when you click on the menus and go to the resulting page, to me, it becomes inconsistent with the rest of the site. This may not be seen when you go from the home page (HP) to another page but when you do vice versa, it is really noticeable.

2) The black portion of the header image on "B&I people" is not the same height/width as compared to the header image o other pages, thus creating a "jumping" effect.

3) The header images look good until you get to "B&I lawyer" where I see silhouettes. Any reason for this?

4) On "contact" page, the black half of the header image is a perfect rectangle. On other pages, the left side is at an angle. Any reason for this?

5) The photo on this page http://www.banwo-ighodalo.com/akeredolu.php is aligned with the top of the first line on the page. Similar photos on other lawyer pages aren't.

6) Upload resume page: doesn't mention that fields are mandatory but when I hit submit, I get "please enter your name". It would be nice to be told this upfront.

7) Contact page: I would rather you bring up the form to the top of the page, above the fold. When most people visit a contact page, it's to use the form and not necessarily to see physical locations. You can do this by moving the physical addresses to the right column, below the left nav. Also, there doesn't seem to be any validation for the form. You want a ton of spam/blank emails? tongue

cool For the lawyers page, I would probably have the names on the left as you do and then on the right, the images and bio. That way, there is no page reload. In this case, you are reloading the right column (either via AJAX, Flash, plain vanilla DHTML, etc) only.

Currently, even on a T1, page download time for those pages is 16 seconds each. That means if the company has 100 lawyers, I would have to wait about 27 minutes. If I am at a cybercafe and paying by the hour, is this fair to the user? Probably not a good idea.

9) Some images/movies don't seem optimized. Take http://www.banwo-ighodalo.com/banwo.php again for example. This movie: http://www.banwo-ighodalo.com/femibanwo.swf is 43KB alone. Also note that the dimensions of the actual movie aren't the same as what it is on the page. Also, as tiny as this image is: http://www.banwo-ighodalo.com/greenfade.png , it is a whopping 27KB in size.

10) Your top nav and the sitewide nav at the top are image maps. Why?

Overall, the site looks good. Keep it up. The above may seem like a lot but trust me, many are just a matter of making minor adjustments. You'll be fine cool
Re: Site Review Pls by nduaj(m): 1:48pm On Feb 05, 2008
@my2cents,

Oga thanks a billion. I ll do mi best to effect 'em changes.
Re: Site Review Pls by smithandy(m): 2:37pm On Feb 05, 2008
Very nice website. I like the use of watermarks in the bios and other places in the website. The design looks clean and you have left a lot of white space. I did not carry out extensive tests like my2cents but here are things you may need to pay attention to:

1) The main picture on the homepage (the flash object) contains too generic images for something that draws that much attention. It will be nice to use unique pictures that draw attention to the specializations of the law firm, work they have done in the past, etc. There should be more marketing here.
2) The font that you used in the main menu (inside pages - top) is not very legible and looks more high tech than legal. It doesn't appear to fit the industry that you are using it for. You may want to play around with fonts that make documents look legal.
3) The side menu items (inside pages) appear to be crowded. There's not much white space there. Maybe reducing the font size a notch might help. They may also look better without the red triangle bullets and the line below each of them.
4) The line spacing in the paragraphs of the website may need to be increased to 1.5. The text in your paragraphs look crowded.

Overall, I also think this is a very good website.
Re: Site Review Pls by A2J(m): 5:09am On Feb 07, 2008
Nice website, sorry i cant preview but only comment, keep it up

(1) (Reply)

Nba Launches Website / Google Chrome / Nigerian Built Web 2.0 Site - Your Thoughts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.