Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,219 members, 7,811,610 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:37 PM

Spiritual Insight - Characteristics Of A True Prophet Of God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Spiritual Insight - Characteristics Of A True Prophet Of God (2632 Views)

8 Characteristics Of A Virtuous Woman... / Characteristics Of A True Prophet Of God / Was Bob Marley A True Prophet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Spiritual Insight - Characteristics Of A True Prophet Of God by Goshen360(m): 8:20pm On Nov 15, 2012
Most people think that anyone who makes a prediction that manifests is a prophet, but this is not true. There are many magicians, astrologians, witchdoctors, occultists, shamans and African traditional healers who can accurately predict an event (Acts 16:16). There are certain qualities that are supposed to be seen in the life of a true prophet of God. Consider a few of these qualities as spiritual insight from the word of God...

1. The Calling and Gifting: A prophet must receive his call and gifts from God, not anointed by another prophet or receive his gift by other spiritual means (Ephesians 4:11).

2. Evidence of the fruits of the Spirit: Despite the accuracy of one’s prophecies or predictions, if that person does not have the characters of Christ, if he is not bearing the fruits of the Holy Spirit which are love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control etc (Galatians 5: 22). That person is not a true prophet of God (Matthew 7:16, 20).

3. Humility: A prophet must be extremely humble, for the secret of the LORD is with them that fear him; and he will shew them his covenant (Psalms 25:14). The fear of the LORD means to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth (Proverbs 8:13). God cannot reveal his secret to a proud person! Moses was very humble—more humble than any other person on earth. (Numbers 12:3).

4. Ability to teach and make disciples for/unto Christ: As mentioned earlier, a New Testament Prophet must be an absolute preacher or a teacher of an accurate revelation of God. Jesus commanded every Christian to go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. To teach the new disciples to obey all that He has commanded (Matthews 28:19). One who only forecasts for people without rebuking the wicked and teaching repentance and salvation to sinners is not of Christ - Shout it aloud, do not hold back. Raise your voice like a trumpet. Declare to my people their rebellion and to the house of Jacob their sins. (Isaiah 58:1)

5. Does not contradict the word of God: A true prophet's words will be in absolute harmony with the written words of God; for instance, a true prophet cannot proclaim peace to the wicked when the Lord has spoken through the prophets of old that there shall be no peace unto the wicked. The scripture reads,

New Living Translation (©2007)
Look to God's instructions and teachings! People who contradict his word are completely in the dark.
(Isaiah 8:20).

6. Genuine love of/for Christ: True love of Christ is what makes every true child of God, for The Lord has commanded us to love other people just as he loves us. He says when we do love other people exactly the same way He loves us means we are his true disciples (John 13:34-35). If one performs miracles and prophecies accurately without fulfilling God’s commandment which is “to Love” as Jesus loves, he will still be known as a false prophet - "Not everyone that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity" (Matthew 7:21-23).

7. Fearlessness of men: True prophets are fearless; they don’t compromise the word of God, but always willing to die for the truth (1 kings 22:10-51; Mark 12:14).

8. Not a fame seeker(s): True Prophets don’t seek for popularity, but always seek for a deeper intimacy with God. Not a president or head high-ranking governmental official can bribe a prophet to make them compromise the word of the Lord. And they don’t advertise miracles (John 7: 1-5).

9. Doesn't prophesy at their own will: A true prophet does not prophesy any time he wishes, or any time people consult him. A prophet prophesies only when the Holy Spirit moves him (2 Peter 1:20). You can’t pay a prophet and ask him to prophesy to you.

10. Not money conscious: A true prophet is not money conscious (Daniel 5:13-17, 2 Kings 5:14-19,1 Timothy 3:3). He does not ask people for an offering before he prophesies, or asks people to “sow a seed” in order to claim their prophecies.

11. Directing young believers' attention to Christ: Directly or indirectly, a true prophet does not receive praises or worship from people; instead, he will sincerely abase himself and allow the people to see Jesus Christ. A true prophet does not allow people to depend on him, he encourages people to inquire directly from Jesus Christ (John 1:24-36). The purpose of the prophetic ministry is to help in bringing people to Jesus Christ, equipping and building God's people in the body of Christ (Ephesians 4:12). A prophet does not consider his assignment as a guiding ministry and with craftiness, uses it to replace the Holy Spirit.

12. Prayer: A true prophet are intercessors; real spiritual watchmen who bear the burden of the saints and the nations of the earth in his heart. "O Jerusalem, I have posted watchmen on your walls; they will pray day and night, continually. Take no rest, all you who pray to the LORD" (Isaiah 62:6).

13. Preachers of righteousness: Prophets are preachers of holiness and righteousness (2 Peter 2:5, Isaiah 58:1). Not only do they preach holiness, they practice what they preach. "These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God" (Genesis 6:9).

14. Not a man of diverse faith: A true prophet is a man of one faith; He believes and establishes his faith in Christ alone (John 14:6). Any person who claims to be a true born again prophet of God, but still follows the teachings and practices other religions apart from Christ is an agent of darkness. One cannot claim to be a Christian and at the same time believe and practice Metaphysics, mysticism, spiritualism, shamanism, Amorc, Universalism, Islam, New Age movement, Hinduism, Mind Science, Gnosticism and so forth.

1 Like

Re: Spiritual Insight - Characteristics Of A True Prophet Of God by Sammyfissy(m): 8:46pm On Nov 15, 2012
Your Right...God Bless You
Re: Spiritual Insight - Characteristics Of A True Prophet Of God by true2(m): 9:12pm On Nov 15, 2012
Goshen360: Most people think that anyone who makes a prediction that manifests is a prophet, but this is not true. There are many magicians, astrologians, witchdoctors, occultists, shamans and African traditional healers who can accurately predict an event (Acts 16:16). There are certain qualities that are supposed to be seen in the life of a true prophet of God. Consider a few of these qualities as spiritual insight from the word of God...

1. The Calling and Gifting: A prophet must receive his call and gifts from God, not anointed by another prophet or receive his gift by other spiritual means (Ephesians 4:11).

2. Evidence of the fruits of the Spirit: Despite the accuracy of one’s prophecies or predictions, if that person does not have the characters of Christ, if he is not bearing the fruits of the Holy Spirit which are love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control etc (Galatians 5: 22). That person is not a true prophet of God (Matthew 7:16, 20).

3. Humility: A prophet must be extremely humble, for the secret of the LORD is with them that fear him; and he will shew them his covenant (Psalms 25:14). The fear of the LORD means to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth (Proverbs 8:13). God cannot reveal his secret to a proud person! Moses was very humble—more humble than any other person on earth. (Numbers 12:3).

4. Ability to teach and make disciples for/unto Christ: As mentioned earlier, a New Testament Prophet must be an absolute preacher or a teacher of an accurate revelation of God. Jesus commanded every Christian to go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. To teach the new disciples to obey all that He has commanded (Matthews 28:19). One who only forecasts for people without rebuking the wicked and teaching repentance and salvation to sinners is not of Christ - Shout it aloud, do not hold back. Raise your voice like a trumpet. Declare to my people their rebellion and to the house of Jacob their sins. (Isaiah 58:1)

5. Does not contradict the word of God: A true prophet's words will be in absolute harmony with the written words of God; for instance, a true prophet cannot proclaim peace to the wicked when the Lord has spoken through the prophets of old that there shall be no peace unto the wicked. The scripture reads,

Look to God's instructions and teachings! People who contradict his word are completely in the dark.

6. Genuine love of/for Christ: True love of Christ is what makes every true child of God, for The Lord has commanded us to love other people just as he loves us. He says when we do love other people exactly the same way He loves us means we are his true disciples (John 13:34-35). If one performs miracles and prophecies accurately without fulfilling God’s commandment which is “to Love” as Jesus loves, he will still be known as a false prophet - "Not everyone that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity" (Matthew 7:21-23).

7. Fearlessness of men: True prophets are fearless; they don’t compromise the word of God, but always willing to die for the truth (1 kings 22:10-51; Mark 12:14).

8. Not a fame seeker(s): True Prophets don’t seek for popularity, but always seek for a deeper intimacy with God. Not a president or head high-ranking governmental official can bribe a prophet to make them compromise the word of the Lord. And they don’t advertise miracles (John 7: 1-5).

9. Doesn't prophesy at their own will: A true prophet does not prophesy any time he wishes, or any time people consult him. A prophet prophesies only when the Holy Spirit moves him (2 Peter 1:20). You can’t pay a prophet and ask him to prophesy to you.

10. Not money conscious: A true prophet is not money conscious (Daniel 5:13-17, 2 Kings 5:14-19,1 Timothy 3:3). He does not ask people for an offering before he prophesies, or asks people to “sow a seed” in order to claim their prophecies.

11. Directing young believers' attention to Christ: Directly or indirectly, a true prophet does not receive praises or worship from people; instead, he will sincerely abase himself and allow the people to see Jesus Christ. A true prophet does not allow people to depend on him, he encourages people to inquire directly from Jesus Christ (John 1:24-36). The purpose of the prophetic ministry is to help in bringing people to Jesus Christ, equipping and building God's people in the body of Christ (Ephesians 4:12). A prophet does not consider his assignment as a guiding ministry and with craftiness, uses it to replace the Holy Spirit.

12. Prayer: A true prophet are intercessors; real spiritual watchmen who bear the burden of the saints and the nations of the earth in his heart. "O Jerusalem, I have posted watchmen on your walls; they will pray day and night, continually. Take no rest, all you who pray to the LORD" (Isaiah 62:6).

13. Preachers of righteousness: Prophets are preachers of holiness and righteousness (2 Peter 2:5, Isaiah 58:1). Not only do they preach holiness, they practice what they preach. "These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God" (Genesis 6:9).

14. Not a man of diverse faith: A true prophet is a man of one faith; He believes and establishes his faith in Christ alone (John 14:6). Any person who claims to be a true born again prophet of God, but still follows the teachings and practices other religions apart from Christ is an agent of darkness. One cannot claim to be a Christian and at the same time believe and practice Metaphysics, mysticism, spiritualism, shamanism, Amorc, Universalism, Islam, New Age movement, Hinduism, Mind Science, Gnosticism and so forth.

Very good. I see you understand Gods word.
Re: Spiritual Insight - Characteristics Of A True Prophet Of God by true2(m): 9:12pm On Nov 15, 2012
Goshen360: Most people think that anyone who makes a prediction that manifests is a prophet, but this is not true. There are many magicians, astrologians, witchdoctors, occultists, shamans and African traditional healers who can accurately predict an event (Acts 16:16). There are certain qualities that are supposed to be seen in the life of a true prophet of God. Consider a few of these qualities as spiritual insight from the word of God...

Very good. I see you understand Gods word.
Re: Spiritual Insight - Characteristics Of A True Prophet Of God by Joagbaje(m): 1:45pm On Nov 16, 2012
Goshen360: Most people think that anyone who makes a prediction that manifests is a prophet, but this is not true. There are many magicians, astrologians, witchdoctors, occultists, shamans and African traditional healers who can accurately predict an event (Acts 16:16).

True .

4. Ability to teach and make disciples for/unto Christ: As mentioned earlier, a New Testament Prophet must be an absolute preacher or a teacher of an accurate revelation of God. .

A prophet doesn't have to be a bible teacher. Most of the time I observe prophets enter into error when they try teaching. Except such a one is nboth a prophet and teacher by calling . These are two different offices . It's safe for a man to focus on his calling . A prophet shouldn't dabble into teaching except he is called. But he can be a good student of the word, to learn and study for himself as a christian.
Re: Spiritual Insight - Characteristics Of A True Prophet Of God by newmi(m): 3:25pm On Nov 16, 2012
Deuteronomy 18:22
"If the prophet speaks in the LORD's name but his prediction does not happen or come true, you will know that the LORD did not give that message. That prophet has spoken without my authority and need not be feared."
The bible does provide us with sufficient litmus test to trial the authenticity of a prophets call
Re: Spiritual Insight - Characteristics Of A True Prophet Of God by ichuka(m): 9:13pm On Nov 16, 2012
Joagbaje:

A prophet doesn't have to be a bible teacher. Most of the time I observe prophets enter into error when they try teaching. Except such a one is nboth a prophet and teacher by calling . These are two different offices . It's safe for a man to focus on his calling . A prophet shouldn't dabble into teaching except he is called. But he can be a good student of the word, to learn and study for himself as a christian.

Samuel instituted the school of prophet i believe he was a teacher.also the Apostle Paul.
Re: Spiritual Insight - Characteristics Of A True Prophet Of God by Joagbaje(m): 10:34am On Nov 17, 2012
i.chuka:

Samuel instituted the school of prophet i believe he was a teacher.also the Apostle Paul.

Yes but there's difference between teaching people about prophecy and teaching the law. The priests were primarily the teachers of the law under the old testament .

(1) (Reply)

I Am Tired Of Pastors Saying "Touch Your Neigbour And Say" / See Church Where Members Worship Stark Naked (photos) / What 'freedom Of Religion' Means To Muslims?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.