Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:06 AM

Anyone Interested In Designing Video Games? - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Anyone Interested In Designing Video Games? (1622 Views)

Why Do Females Hate Video Games? / Cool Video Games We Played In The 90's!!! Add Yours / Interested In Moderating This Section? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anyone Interested In Designing Video Games? by shaze(m): 7:33pm On Feb 05, 2008
I must say,u guys here are killing it here on Nairaland.Im a PS2 fan but smthings still bothers me.With all the pple around,is anyone interested in building games from scratch? i even wanted to atend a game dev schoolcalled Full Sail or Animation Mentor but their school fees are off the chain.so has anyone tot of creating his/her own game?i dont av a pc but i heard one cud create somthing with Adobe Flash
Re: Anyone Interested In Designing Video Games? by ritchboy(m): 9:35pm On Feb 05, 2008
Create a video game FROM SCRATCH wid flash? I'm havin a laff.
Try creating a website wid fireworks smiley
Re: Anyone Interested In Designing Video Games? by Leon2(m): 3:24pm On Feb 07, 2008
Flash games, possable, however the games are not very graphical or complex. simple games are easy to make and are also fun to play. i recommend flash 8, as there are alot of tuts on the web you can use. its also the best way to learn.

Need any help just add me on here, im willing to help when everim at shool =]

good luck and enjoy it.
Re: Anyone Interested In Designing Video Games? by Neoteny(m): 5:57pm On Feb 12, 2008
@leon

he is a ps2 fan and wants to design games with flash. dont you get it? MGS or PES on flash. dude, wake up. creating video games is one of the hardest aspects of computer 3D technology. you dont just learn it overnight in some schoiol. you have to start way under from the basics. then move up to modelling, then rendering, then animation, then grapple with realtime game engine and learn about z-buffering, anti aliasing, simulated physics, collision, bump mapping, textures, UV mapping, glsl shaders, alpha mapping, particles, pixel/vertex shaders, AI, etc etc jargon after jargon.

however you can start with the freebie blender. it has a magnificent game engine (its not cryENGINE or Renderware or UnrealENGINE) but it works and has lots of tutorials online. of course you need python to run scripts, and photoshop.

or you can enrol at www.3dgamedesign.co.uk and try yer luck.

flash ke!
Re: Anyone Interested In Designing Video Games? by vowiski(m): 7:15pm On Feb 13, 2008
@poster
carry your kindagerteen book make you dey read.
u want to make game from the scratch? lol.
Go and watch the making of games and see the thousands of people involved and huge capital introduced.infact  wake up from your day dream.
you don't even have a pc.
guy i tire for u ooooo.
you nor just dey make sense at all.
the people wey one teach whic kind game them don do?
WAKE UP.
info: KONAMI has over 14000 workers etc
Re: Anyone Interested In Designing Video Games? by Stanozcom(m): 10:46am On Feb 20, 2008
They're all right, Shaze.
Get a computer. Learn a programming language. And see the digital world unfold before your eyes, King.
wink
Re: Anyone Interested In Designing Video Games? by Neoteny(m): 2:54pm On Feb 23, 2008
but if you can't be too bothered to learn all the hard stuff that goes into 3d gaming, try point and click. go to http://www.fpscreatorx10.com and order online. if you don't meet the minimum requirements then directly go to http://www.fpscreator.com.

for something of a directory, go here http://www.ambrosine.com/resource.html.

go for Reality Factory. its great and free, plus source code (for wehn you learn programming). look for one that supports python cos its easier to write your own scripts.

hope this helps.
Re: Anyone Interested In Designing Video Games? by Neoteny(m): 4:40pm On Feb 23, 2008
@vowiski

sho? where did you read that konami has 14,000 workers?

they have less than 4,500! and not al fo them are into game design. a lot are in marketing, customerv service, localization, testing etc. most game design procedures require one lead engineer, one lead designer, a couple of animators and a few coders.

here you go http://sec.edgar-online.com/2004/08/18/0001193125-04-142734/Section2.asp

its like a few years old but their growth rate can't be 10 fold!
Re: Anyone Interested In Designing Video Games? by Neoteny(m): 11:23am On Feb 27, 2008
im working on my first 3D FPS game using a combination reality factory, milkshape 3d, gmax and truespace. for photo retouching i use GIMP. its coming along nicely and i shall put up some pix when i get beyond meshes. its really easy and anyone can do it using the programs i mentioned.
Re: Anyone Interested In Designing Video Games? by Frizy(m): 3:29pm On Mar 04, 2008
My guy, flash can't create 4th or 5th generation games, you're one of the Nigerians that loves dreaming big. I'll advice you to start learning with programs like 3Dmax, real engine for animations and stuffs like that. After years of practise(i mean real training aboard) with these programs.You can then decide to order programing tools for playstation 1 which is about $20,000 grin-serious. Be sure of one thing, you can't do it alone. Video games are just like movies now, you can't have a low budget and expect something good! Good luck!!!!
Re: Anyone Interested In Designing Video Games? by Neoteny(m): 12:51pm On Mar 09, 2008
actually you can. there are engines that come with prefabs that basically are point and click and the quality is astounding. animations and basic AI come in scripts that you can simply aply as attribute to your prefab, stock rigs are everywhere even milkshape comes with some, materials and textures that are already built litter the net. and the new generation of modelling software are far easier to use than previous ones.  try gamestudio7 and fps creator, i use them and the final output is better than the original doom.

for rank beginners who just want to create a 2D sidescrolling game, platform studio works. and the free Terragen works magic at generating photorealistic terrains without bothering with vertices etc.

here are the tools i use.

i use a combination Poser7 and Iclone for the cinematics (far far from comlete, a bit difficult)

google sketchup, because it allows me to bypass the stock models in iclone. good thing since it talks to iclone

Terragen, for landscapes, great for background (static shots)

FPS creator as base engine ro run the main game. however its buggy as heck so im thinking of moving to Reality Factory fulltime (not as easy as FPSC tho)

and finally milkshape, Gmax and gamestudio 7 for models. i got free weapon packs at club 3D studio. just retouched them in GIMP and paint.net. problem: FPSC games limit you to 50 levels max, and the direcx 9 grafx sometimes sux. sometimes the NPCs act weird, refusing to shoot or getting stuck behind a crate. also i cant integrate the cinematics into the finished .exe (not that im done, but its impossible anyway so the cinematix will have to be a separate package).

like i said before, its all mostly point and click. get them yourself and try. anyone can do it. no programming needed.

i wish others would get on board so we can compare our works wehn finished.
Re: Anyone Interested In Designing Video Games? by Wordsmith(m): 7:59pm On Mar 16, 2008
exactly, what do you do as a profession?
Re: Anyone Interested In Designing Video Games? by Neoteny(m): 1:36pm On Mar 17, 2008
@wordsmith

financial services, wouldnt you believe it. but i do 3D as an intense hobby. also, im a lazy computer tinkerer, movie buff, games aficionado etc etc.
Re: Anyone Interested In Designing Video Games? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Mar 18, 2008
Neoteny:

@wordsmith

financial services, wouldnt you believe it. but i do 3D as an intense hobby. also, im a lazy computer tinkerer, movie buff, games aficionado etc etc.

na wa o. . .

some of the majorgeeks on the forum aren't professionally tied into IT

neoteny
texazzpete,
bigbrovar

hmm. . .makes u wonder. . .
Re: Anyone Interested In Designing Video Games? by Neoteny(m): 4:19pm On Mar 20, 2008
here are a few screens from the work in progress

the first is a top down map view, showing the interior of the stock prefab. the colored dots represent entities, green being dynamic and red static. dynamic means they interact with other entities. ive set up a dynamic ligt which casts dynamic shadows. ive set up a few crates and modified their script to make them explode on when shot.

the second green dot from the bottom left is a vickers machine gun. its pickable, meaning its dynamic. the first green dot on the bottom left is the player spawn point at program run. in the second room im having a check point and medipack.

see the red smears on the floor? those are blood stains, which are actually decals. the doors are green, meaning they too are dynamic.

the second pic is a zoomed out view, while the third is test building to debug.

the game is set in a space station, is fully 3D and supports pixel shader 2.0, so you will see some great textures, light and shadows.
will have a playable demo by next week.

Re: Anyone Interested In Designing Video Games? by cocoduck: 7:49pm On Apr 13, 2008
Do not lose any hope I am also like U Just get ur self a PC go and get dark basic Pro. Dark Basic Pro is for poeple who have no knowledge in Programming. it is in BASIC of course basic is easy just spend some time with it. go to thegamecrateors.com for more info smiley

(1) (Reply)

Konami Ends AAA Console Game Production Except For PES / PS4 Slim Console For Sale / A Rumored Plan To Block Xbox 720 From Playing Used Games.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.