Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,951 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:00 PM

What Will You Be Giving Up For Lent? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Will You Be Giving Up For Lent? (973 Views)

Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? / Lent: Countdown To 40 Days Fasting. / Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Will You Be Giving Up For Lent? by yvskc(f): 12:16pm On Feb 06, 2008
I am a catholic and today is Ash Wednesday,the start of Lent.
I do not know what to give up for Lent.
I told my husband I may give him up for Lent and be celibate for 40 days,I don't think he liked the idea very much!
It should be something that will be a great sacrifice,but what? Any ideas?
Re: What Will You Be Giving Up For Lent? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Feb 06, 2008
Try fighting your predominant fault.

My predominant fault is a very bad temper that flares up often and tends not to forgive and forget. I hope to work on this during lent, and going forward.

More on the predominant fault here -> http://www.christianperfection.info/tta34.htm
Re: What Will You Be Giving Up For Lent? by yvskc(f): 12:39pm On Feb 06, 2008
ty imhotep, that is a brilliant way to look at it.
It sounds as though you are trying hard as you are honest enough to admit your fault.
I will take a long,hard look at myself and decide what my biggest fault is.
Re: What Will You Be Giving Up For Lent? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Feb 06, 2008
yvskc:

ty imhotep, that is a brilliant way to look at it.
It sounds as though you are trying hard as you are honest enough to admit your fault.
I will take a long,hard look at myself and decide what my biggest fault is.
Please pray for me as you do so.
Re: What Will You Be Giving Up For Lent? by DaJunta(m): 1:02pm On Feb 06, 2008
I suggest no alcohol, soda drinks for d whole 40days and drink only water.

I guess its a huge sacrifice
Re: What Will You Be Giving Up For Lent? by stimulus(m): 1:07pm On Feb 06, 2008
Nothing.
Re: What Will You Be Giving Up For Lent? by ssdm(m): 2:35pm On Feb 06, 2008
search urself very well and discover if there is anytin dat is not Godly as a christian and forsake dont forget dat u can't be a sincere follower of christ if u can't forsake sometin.
Re: What Will You Be Giving Up For Lent? by stimulus(m): 2:41pm On Feb 06, 2008
Nothing.

- - - - -

edited.

On second thoughts, I would be giving up the ritual of lent for Lent.
Re: What Will You Be Giving Up For Lent? by yvskc(f): 5:08pm On Feb 06, 2008
ty da junta, giving up alcohol will not be a sacrifice for me though as I am breast feeding and not drinking alcohol anyway!
Stimulus I am not quite sure why u bothered to reply if you do not follow the Lent tradition.My question was aimed at those Christians who respect Lent and feel it is their duty to abstain or fast as a sign of their devotion in preparation for Easter.
Re: What Will You Be Giving Up For Lent? by stimulus(m): 5:44pm On Feb 06, 2008
@yvskc,

yvskc:

Stimulus I am not quite sure why u bothered to reply if you do not follow the Lent tradition.My question was aimed at those Christians who respect Lent and feel it is their duty to abstain or fast as a sign of their devotion in preparation for Easter.

Actually, I have not expressed disrespect Lent in my posts, nor do I have the intention of doing so. Perhaps I was aiming more for a seasoned discussion of the tradition of Easter which has become more of a religious rite/ritual in Christendom than what it really should connote.

For example, we seem to have lost the meaning of Christ's work for us that we now speak in terms of having to wait for some special season to "give up" things that are just contrary to our spiritual walk with God! And look again - it is often said that we should do this for the sake of Easter rather than be more concerned that we seek to enjoy our commitment for the sake of Him Who gave Himself on the Cross for us!

It should not be a "duty" to fast for the season (Easter). Our response to Christ Himself is what should be paramount in our lives - perhaps this was the reason why the apostle Paul discouraged this idea of seeking to be more spiritual by observing "days, and months, and times, and years" (Gal. 4:9-11).

Of course, it has become a die-hard tradition with many to keep the status quo of these festivities. However, I do pray that our hearts will seek more of Him than anything else.

Regards.
Re: What Will You Be Giving Up For Lent? by Maykelly(f): 5:50pm On Feb 06, 2008
PLEASE CATHOLICS STAND UP ONCE AND FOR ALL. STOP THIS YOUR GIVING UP ATTITUDES FOR LENT, ETC. ALWAYS LIVE A HOLY LIFE BECAUSE CHRIST IS HOLY. STOP GIVING UP THIS AND THAT. KEEP GIVING ANYTHING YOU KNOW IS BAD. DO NOT WAIT TO GIVE IT UP ON LENT OR NEW YEAR - I MEAN UNDERSTAND THE WORD "BORN AGAIN"
Re: What Will You Be Giving Up For Lent? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Feb 06, 2008
stimulus:

Actually, I have not expressed disrespect Lent in my posts, nor do I have the intention of doing so. Perhaps I was aiming more for a seasoned discussion of the tradition of Easter which has become more of a religious rite/ritual in Christendom than what it really should connote.

The Church intends that Lent be a means to a higher end. Typically, some people, wrongly convert it to an end in itself.

In the same way, for instance, some people have converted tithing to a way of converting God to a bread multiplier and/or money doubler.
Re: What Will You Be Giving Up For Lent? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Feb 06, 2008
May kelly:

PLEASE CATHOLICS STAND UP ONCE AND FOR ALL. STOP THIS YOUR GIVING UP ATTITUDES FOR LENT, ETC. ALWAYS LIVE A HOLY LIFE BECAUSE CHRIST IS HOLY. STOP GIVING UP THIS AND THAT. KEEP GIVING ANYTHING YOU KNOW IS BAD. DO NOT WAIT TO GIVE IT UP ON LENT OR NEW YEAR - I MEAN UNDERSTAND THE WORD "BORN AGAIN"
You will be doing a lot of good if you go to many interior villages in Africa (who are wallowing in the darkness of paganism) and really preach Christ. The muslims, buddhists, hindus are also waiting for preachers to come to them.

By attacking Catholics you are only contributing to the dissensions that presently make Christianity look like cajolery or some sort of 'highly profitable business venture'

(1) (Reply)

I Am Jesus Christ! / Is A Jet Too Much For A Pastor? Pastor Adeboye / 101 Contradictions In The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.