Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,149 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:27 AM

Is It Allowed To Scan Used Cars Before Buying Them At Car Dealer Outlets? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Allowed To Scan Used Cars Before Buying Them At Car Dealer Outlets? (1121 Views)

Accident At Car Stunts Show In Kano (Photos) / Top 20 Used Cars To Avoid / ***how To Check Automatic Transmission Before Buying A Used Car*** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Allowed To Scan Used Cars Before Buying Them At Car Dealer Outlets? by noholdsbarred(m): 5:58pm On Nov 18, 2012
One of the most beneficial means to making a good deal on buying a used car is to reveal the hidden problems, such as engine and transmission problems, immediately. These hidden problems might not have come out during the test drive. The key to closing the deal successfully is to eliminate these potential problems beforehand. OBD II scan tool is a tool for accomplishing this task.

My question is: Do used car dealer outlets, like in Cotonou, allow prospective buyers to scan vehicles during inspection before a deal is reached for purchase? If they do, does it affect the pricing of the vehicle?
Re: Is It Allowed To Scan Used Cars Before Buying Them At Car Dealer Outlets? by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:28pm On Nov 18, 2012
its rare to pick a code which is not shown on the dashboard

codes are meant to be scanned after the dashboard has shown a sign
Re: Is It Allowed To Scan Used Cars Before Buying Them At Car Dealer Outlets? by noholdsbarred(m): 8:50pm On Nov 18, 2012
ZIM DRILL: its rare to pick a code which is not shown on the dashboard

codes are meant to be scanned after the dashboard has shown a sign

Not if the bulbs on the dash are out or if the circuit board has been tampered with. These car dealers can do anything to conceal a problem.
Re: Is It Allowed To Scan Used Cars Before Buying Them At Car Dealer Outlets? by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:35am On Nov 19, 2012
noholdsbarred:

Not if the bulbs on the dash are out or if the circuit board has been tampered with. These car dealers can do anything to conceal a problem.

what are the chance of a instrument cluster bulbs being blown ? i have never came across a blown indicator light in the dashboard, mind you they one work everyday and on every turn of the car

its easy to see if the circuit has been tampered with, when you turn on the accesories, position 2 all light should come one then some switch off after few seconds
Re: Is It Allowed To Scan Used Cars Before Buying Them At Car Dealer Outlets? by Nobody: 11:51am On Nov 19, 2012
ZIM DRILL: its easy to see if the circuit has been tampered with, when you turn on the accesories, position 2 all light should come one then some switch off after few seconds

Believe me, you can't always tell.

I've worked on cars with a myriad of OBD codes. The CELs had been wired to the ABS warning lights, so of course the CELs came on when the ignition was first switched on, then went off after after a few seconds.

I scan every car of mine before purchase, no exception. I've never come across a seller who refused me doing an OBD scan.
Re: Is It Allowed To Scan Used Cars Before Buying Them At Car Dealer Outlets? by noholdsbarred(m): 3:29pm On Nov 19, 2012
Siena:

Believe me, you can't always tell.

I've worked on cars with a myriad of OBD codes. The CELs had been wired to the ABS warning lights, so of course the CELs came on when the ignition was first switched on, then went off after after a few seconds.

I scan every car of mine before purchase, no exception. I've never come across a seller who refused me doing an OBD scan.

Thanks for your response!
Re: Is It Allowed To Scan Used Cars Before Buying Them At Car Dealer Outlets? by GOODMAN1: 2:25pm On Nov 20, 2012
I've met a dealer here in Naija that said he won't even allow me to copy the vin no. That was the end of our discussion though.

(1) (Reply)

Golf 3 Radio Issuse / No Refund Of 35% Duty Tariff Already Paid – Customs / Why Are Automobile Steerings Not Designed Like That Of A Forklift

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.