Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,398 members, 7,812,171 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:25 AM

Schooling Is Nigeria Or Schooling Abroad? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Schooling Is Nigeria Or Schooling Abroad? (1008 Views)

How Much Is Nigeria Customs Salary Now? / Best Career Prospect- Chevron Nigeria, Shell Nigeria Or Mobil Producing / Nestle Nigeria Or Oceanic Bank? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Schooling Is Nigeria Or Schooling Abroad? by bawomol(m): 3:03pm On Feb 06, 2008
inspired by the "are nigerian engineers competent thread". which do u think is better, a nigerian going to school abroad or a nigerian attending a naija university.

state ur reasons please.
Re: Schooling Is Nigeria Or Schooling Abroad? by justcool(m): 2:45am On Feb 08, 2008
School is school! it doesn't matter where it is located, there are good schools in Nigeria. It depends on what you want to study. In certain arts fields Nigerian schools are excellent. Think about world respected people like Chinua Achebe and Whole Soyinka, they all went to school in Nigeria and they are wonderful artists. I've mate an American(born citizen) who went to school in Nigeria and he talks highly of the education he got.
However, in certain science fields Nigerian universities are terribly lacking behind. The practical aspects of concepts are never really taught due to the lack of modern equipments.
Also, it depends on what you want to do with your degree. Looking around me, I have seen that it is easier to succeed in any field utilising your degree in the country from where it's gotten. I have seen medical doctors, who went to school in Nigeria and very successfull in Nigeria; some of them abandon everything to come to America. And when they get here, only very few end up successful as a doctor. So many abandon their profession for something less, not necessarily because they are bad doctors. Being groomed in a system makes it easier for you to understand that system.
Also, it depends on who you are. If you are truly motivated and want real education, you can get it anywhere. I heard that some people can bribe their ways through Nigerian universities but such people will not be able to get good education even if they come to America. I know, and I have brothers who went to Nigerian universities and they are very sound; I also know some who went to the same school but could hardly write their names.
In education, one can never do without personal effort.

bawomol:

inspired by the "are nigerian engineers competent thread"

Lol.  check out another thread inspired by the "are nigerian engineers competent thread."
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-110848.0.html
Re: Schooling Is Nigeria Or Schooling Abroad? by almondjoy(f): 8:37am On Feb 09, 2008
Definitely schooling abroad.  Nigerians will accept any degree from this world, but most countries in the world question Nigerian degrees and certificates. Go figure!

Actually, I love the idea of schooling in both locations (Nigeria and "abroad"wink. That way you can tell the difference. kiss

(1) (Reply)

Oil & Gas Vacanciies (very Urgent) / Which Paves Way: The Skill You Acquired Or What You Have The Talent Of Doing? / NEBOSH IGC In Occupational Health And Safety

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.