Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

Ivvie Should An Electrical Engineer Know How To wire his House? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Ivvie Should An Electrical Engineer Know How To wire his House? (5642 Views)

An Electrical Engineer To Comedian To A Life Saver / An Experienced Electrical Engineer Needed For The Position Of A Project Manager. / What Make A Person A Qualified Electrical Engineer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ivvie Should An Electrical Engineer Know How To wire his House? by seeklove: 1:43am On Feb 07, 2008
In another tread I made reference to some electrical engineers that can't even wire their homes and Ivvie replied by:

[b[i]]"I'm sorry to say, but this is what I call total nonsense integrated with complete ignorance.   What has electrical engineering got to do with wiring a home or fixing light bulbs.  This is classic rebranding of ignorance.

If you claim to have studied engineering in the United States, you wouldn't make such unintelligent remark about electrical engineering because electrical engineering is categorised as computer engineering by IEEE and the manner of discipline gears towards PLC's, PAC's, signal processings, multiplexers, networks and so on.  It is also integrated with computer science and data structure.  Where does rewiring come into place.  I don't know the part the globe you reside but this sheer ignorance is just not comprehendable."[/i][/b]

When I said wiring a house, I didn't mean doing the actual manual wiring. An engineer could have an electrician do that, but an electrical engineer should be able to understand what the electrician is doing, infact he should know the principle behind distributing power around a house more than a mere electrician. An engineer can design how his house would be powered, this design can even be done on the computer, and he can supervise the electrician who does the actual wiring. You call me ignorant but your post betrays your unspeakable ignorance. You should know that the concept and the science behind powering (wiring) a house is far less complected than the concept behind a simple radio circuit talk less of signal processing, multiplexers, and networking.
What you said is like saying that a doctor should not be able to give an injection because being a doctor is about diagnosing, performingry and treating diseases. We all know that giving injection(I don't mean prescribing) is the work of a nurse but show me a doctor who can't give an injection and I will show you one who is a quack.
You might as well say that a mathematician should not be able to calculate his change because that is the work of a cashire.
Please give me you contribution. The question is should an electrical engineer be able to power his home?
Re: Ivvie Should An Electrical Engineer Know How To wire his House? by seeklove: 1:47am On Feb 07, 2008
Ivviee:

electrical engineering is categorised as computer engineering by IEEE and the manner of discipline gears towards PLC's, PAC's, signal processings, multiplexers, networks and so on. It is also integrated with computer science and data structure. Where does rewiring come into place. I don't know the part the globe you reside but this sheer ignorance is just not comprehendable.

Your above reference to IEE is very wrong. According to IEE:
IEEE's Constitution defines the purposes of the organization as "scientific and educational, directed toward the advancement of the theory and practice of electrical, electronics, communications and computer engineering, as well as computer science, the allied branches of engineering and the related arts and sciences."
(wekipedea)
The fact that they listed "electrical, electronics and computer engineering," shows that they don't categorise electrical engineering as computer engineering otherwise they wouldn't list them like that(separating them with a comma). If they had placed a slash in between them then that would have shown that both fields are categorized as one. (ie electrical/computer engineering)

Mind you only in America do some institutions merge the two fields (which are related) together under electrical engineering. In the rest of the world, they are two different fields or disciplines. Read this from wikipedea:

"Electrical engineering may or may not encompass electronic engineering. Where a distinction is made, usually outside of America, electrical engineering is considered to deal with the problems associated with large-scale electrical systems such as power transmission and motor control, whereas electronic engineering deals with the study of small-scale electronic systems including computers and integrated circuits.[1] Another way of looking at the distinction is that electrical engineers are usually concerned with using electricity to transmit energy, while electronic engineers are concerned with using electricity to transmit information."
(wikipedea)

Please get your facts right.
Re: Ivvie Should An Electrical Engineer Know How To wire his House? by justcool(m): 2:49am On Feb 07, 2008
Electrical engineers definitely should know how to wire their houses. This is a very basic thing. In civilized countries electricans follow a blue print made by an electrical engineer in wiring houses. They also follow regional codes like NEC regulations, and these regulations are made by electrical engineers.
If you doubt this go to this link:
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm

According to the US department of labor:
Electrical engineers design, develop, test, and supervise the manufacture of electrical equipment. Some of this equipment includes electric motors; machinery controls, lighting, and wiring in buildings; automobiles; aircraft; radar and navigation systems; and power generation, control, and transmission devices used by electric utilities. Although the terms electrical and electronics engineering often are used interchangeably in academia and industry, electrical engineers have traditionally focused on the generation and supply of power, whereas electronics engineers have worked on applications of electricity to control systems or signal processing. Electrical engineers specialize in areas such as power systems engineering or electrical equipment manufacturing. (From www.bls.gov)http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm

The bold sentences show that electrical engineering is different from electronic engineering(computer engineering) although some universities merge the two.

Also, according to the US department of labor:
Electricians also advise management whether continued operation of equipment could be hazardous. When working with complex electronic devices, they may consult with engineers, engineering technicians, line installers and repairers, or industrial machinery mechanics and maintenance workers. (Statements on these occupations appear elsewhere in the Handbook.)
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos206.htm#nature

This is from the hand book "Occupational Outlook Handbook" by the US. Department of Labor or the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Anybody working in America should be familier with this book. You can also read it at the website: www. bls.gov
Re: Ivvie Should An Electrical Engineer Know How To wire his House? by Wallie(m): 2:38am On Feb 20, 2008
I can see the point of confusion. In the US, Electrical Engineers concentrate on different areas (computer engineering, Signal Processing, power systems, system engineering etc) while in school because the field is so broad. To answer your question, the only Engineers that will probably know how to wire a house are those that concentrate on Power Systems or those that are just naturally curious about electricity.

I am an Electrical Engineer and I don’t know how to wire a house nor do I ever want to know. But that’s not to say that I don’t understand the fundamental principles of Circuit Theory. Also, being an Electrical Engineer doesn’t make you qualified to wire a house (you need some sort of certification).

Also keep in mind that there is a distinction in terms of type of work done between Electrical Engineers and Technicians (electricians, engineering technology), the later are usually less educated (more hands on classes as opposed to theory) and make less money.

I might have generalized a little bit but what I said is mostly true.

(1) (Reply)

'5,000 Sacked Teachers In Akwa Ibom To Be Re-absorbed' - The Nation / Why Are Lawyers Buried Face Down? / Forex Traders Comfort Zone (forex Trading Tutorials Free Of Charge)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.