Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,755 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:40 PM

Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage (15124 Views)

It's Our Wedding Anniversary! Help Us Thank Jehovah. / A Nairalander Wedding Anniversary Family Pictures / Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by honeric01(m): 3:44am On Nov 21, 2012
On Nov. 25, 1932, FDR had just defeated Herbert Hoover, the daily newspaper cost two cents, and Ann Shawah said "I do" to John Betar in Harrison, N.Y.
Fast forward through 13 presidents and 80 years to 2012: the Betars are still happily married. After five children, 14 grandchildren and 16 great children, the couple from Fairfield, Conn., will celebrate their 80th wedding anniversary Sunday.

"We are so blessed. We are fortunate," John Betar, 101, said.
"We are very fortunate. It can be repeated and repeated," Ann, 97, echoed. "It is unconditional love and understanding. We have had that. We consider it a blessing."

Humble Beginnings
John Betar met Ann Shawah growing up in the same Syrian community in Bridgeport, Conn. Betar immigrated to America as a young child in 1921 with his brother, he explained, joining his father who put down roots for them in Bridgeport. After attending grammar school, Betar began working as a fruit peddler and met Ann Shawah, the daughter of Syrian immigrants, in the neighborhood.
"I fell for her right away," he said. "I used to have a Ford Roaster and I used to pick her and her friends and drive them to high school. Gradually she liked me and we got together."

It was slightly more complicated than that. Ann was arranged to be married to another man, 20 years her senior, whom her parents thought would be the best provider for their daughter. The 17-year-old was less than pleased with the arrangement and taken with Betar, then 21. Breaking with tradition and going against her family's wishes, the two eloped.

"At 17, you wonder if you're making the right choice," she said. "I had grown up with him and we had good times together and we knew each other very well. And it's turned out to be 80 years. ….God seems to have been with us. And we've been very fortunate and wonderful."
The two built a life together, a home, a family and lived out their own version of the American dream. Betar continued peddling fruit and in 1938, opened up his own grocery store, Betar's Market, in the south end of Bridgeport.

"We worked hard and never got tired of making money," he said. "This is the land of opportunity."
Ann stayed at home and raised their children. "She was a great mother," Betar said. "She raised five children and she was a wonderful caretaker."
Five children spawned 14 grandchildren and 16 great children. The couple said the later generations "bring new life" and light into their lives.
"Last year at [John's] 100th birthday party ... there was group of little 2 year olds and 5 year olds and a group that's just turning 19 and 20," Ann recalled. "We had it at the beach and we had fireworks. It was very special. The younger children went out on the beach and wrote 'Happy Birthday Jiddo,' [Grandpa in Arabic], in the sand, all along the beach. ... How can you not feel God's right with you and blessing you?"
Along with joyous moments and good memories like this one came bad times for the Betars.

"The hardest thing in our life was losing two of our children. That's the sad part. It's one of the worst thing a parent can face is losing a child, no matter how old they are or how young they are," Ann said.
But despite the trying moments that can test or break a marriage, the two have stayed together.
"There are so many things in a lifetime that can make you very, very happy and very, very sad, but if you can do it together then it's happiness," Ann said.
That's easier said than done for many couples today in the U.S. where the divorce rate hovers around 40 to 50 percent. What's their secret?
"They have this wonderful ability to accept life as it comes," their daughter Renee Betar said. "They have a way of trying to look around at the things that they do have -- the family and the blessings. They came from a generation where there is such respect for each other and caring."

The Betars consider themselves "fortunate." Hesitant to dole out advice to newlyweds, they each offered simple, guiding mantras to a lasting marriage.
"Get along. Compromise. Live within your means and be content," Betar said, before adding, "And let your wife be the boss."
"We don't have bosses," she said. Her advice: don't hold a grudge.

"You know what your commitments are and you try to live by them and understand one another. If you don't hold a grudge, you can face anything," Ann said.
The couple still lives independently on the beach in Fairfield and has kept active, pushing the boundaries of aging. In their later years, Ann discovered a hidden talent as an artist and took up painting in oils and watercolors. The two cook soup together, always from scratch. (The retired fruit peddler-turned-grocer continues to make outings to shop for the best produce and can't help but dispense recommendations to fellow customers at the store, his daughter reports, saying: "Oh no, don't buy that tomato if you want to eat it tonight."wink They spend their days reading and proudly keeping up with what's going on in the world.
Celebrating 80 Years of Marriage
On Sunday, the couple will mark their 80th wedding anniversary with a quiet celebration surrounded by family and friends at the St. Nicholas Antiochian Orthodox Church in Bridgeport, where they are original founding members.

Ann said one of her daughters ordered a cake for the occasion and the baker called back, slightly confused, to confirm that it should read -- "Happy 80th Anniversary" instead of "Happy 80th Birthday."

After eighty years, Betar is still sweet on his bride and she is still sweet on him.
"He is a wonderful man. He is a very giving man to his children, to his family, to people that need it. He is a very generous, giving man," she said. "Can you blame me for living with him for 80 years?"

To the later generations of children and grandchildren, the Betars serve as role models for how to live and love in life.
"I'm always blown away by their incredible optimism, deep sense of compassion and modesty," said granddaughter Heather Mitchell of Fairfield, Conn. "They are true beacons -- inspirational people who emit such joy without even knowing it."

http://gma.yahoo.com/couple-celebrates-80th-wedding-anniversary-shares-secrets-lasting-174309809--abc.news-sex.html

14 Likes

Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by masterpiecer(m): 6:25am On Nov 21, 2012
i envy these old folks

2 Likes

Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by honeric01(m): 8:26am On Nov 21, 2012
Here's a comment from someone ;

When my uncle was asked the secret to his longtime marriage to my aunt, his answer was, "Marry young and live a very long time!

-gary-

1 Like

Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by slimyem: 8:34am On Nov 21, 2012
hmmn...
What a story...!
What a marriage to envy...!
Theirs is one in thousands though.....
Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by Johndoe100(m): 8:36am On Nov 21, 2012
These are the kind of people who should be role models and who should give marital advice. Not people who have been divorced numerous times and have to think a bit when you ask them who is the father of their children.

5 Likes

Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by honeric01(m): 8:56am On Nov 21, 2012
honeric01:
"There are so many things in a lifetime that can make you very, very happy and very, very sad, but if you can do it together then it's happiness," Ann said.
That's easier said than done for many couples today in the U.S. where the divorce rate hovers around 40 to 50 percent. What's their secret?
"They have this wonderful ability to accept life as it comes," their daughter Renee Betar said. "They have a way of trying to look around at the things that they do have -- the family and the blessings. They came from a generation where there is such respect for each other and caring."

The Betars consider themselves "fortunate." Hesitant to dole out advice to newlyweds, they each offered simple, guiding mantras to a lasting marriage.
"Get along. Compromise. Live within your means and be content," Betar said, before adding, "And let your wife be the boss."

"You know what your commitments are and you try to live by them and understand one another. If you don't hold a grudge, you can face anything," Ann said.
The couple still lives independently on the beach in Fairfield and has kept active, pushing the boundaries of aging. In their later years, Ann discovered a hidden talent as an artist and took up painting in oils and watercolors. The two cook soup together, always from scratch.

After eighty years, Betar is still sweet on his bride and she is still sweet on him.
"He is a wonderful man. He is a very giving man to his children, to his family, to people that need it. He is a very generous, giving man," she said. "Can you blame me for living with him for 80 years?"

To the later generations of children and grandchildren, the Betars serve as role models for how to live and love in life.
"I'm always blown away by their incredible optimism, deep sense of compassion and modesty," said granddaughter Heather Mitchell of Fairfield, Conn. "They are true beacons -- inspirational people who emit such joy without even knowing it."

http://gma.yahoo.com/couple-celebrates-80th-wedding-anniversary-shares-secrets-lasting-174309809--abc.news-sex.html
Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by k2039: 8:57am On Nov 21, 2012

Congratulation to both of them,
This is what I call true success
I have to save the whole page,later in life when I need it,I will just refer back to it.

1 Like

Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by SlyIg(f): 9:01am On Nov 21, 2012
I love what i'm seeing here. Oh my goodness... Can God grant me this favour? Congrats to this beautiful couple. May God continue to bless you.
Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by Iaz93: 9:07am On Nov 21, 2012
80years . .cool.
Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by wizb: 9:10am On Nov 21, 2012
honeric01: Ann stayed at home and raised their children. "She was a great mother," Betar said. "She raised five children. But despite the trying moments that can test or break a marriage, the two have stayed together.

Contentment is very important because money will never be enough.

6 Likes

Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by Eneze1(f): 9:18am On Nov 21, 2012
this is one in a million, hope we can all emulate this couple, it takes a lot of patience for a marriage to last this long, may God help us all
Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by Pdizzle(m): 9:20am On Nov 21, 2012
We pray d youths of 2day av d patience
Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by 401kk: 9:22am On Nov 21, 2012
Feminists won't like this news.

1 Like

Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by wildorchid(f): 9:30am On Nov 21, 2012
There are no secrets to a lasting marriage, it all depends on the people involved.

3 Likes

Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by gwas(m): 9:31am On Nov 21, 2012
Respect
Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by emydot(m): 9:35am On Nov 21, 2012
Wow.This is great and awesome.
Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by slimyem: 9:36am On Nov 21, 2012
401kk: Feminists won't like this news.
What do you know about feminists?
Duh!!!
Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by bknight: 9:38am On Nov 21, 2012
slimyem: ...
Theirs is one in thousands though.....

Perhaps u mean one in millions. Good one Sir, mr betar!

1 Like

Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by Nobody: 9:44am On Nov 21, 2012
She was seventeen! Can you imagine? A guy marrying a girl marrying at seventeen during these times will be called a sick pedophile
Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by inwangobio(m): 9:54am On Nov 21, 2012
What a marriage to emulate! I wish mine will last this long, I thank God for people like this. But this one that the wife has to be the boss, na waoooh. In my place they will call you all manner of names like woman wrapper, and that you don chop ' kop nno mi'. May God help us.
Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by Leadn(m): 9:55am On Nov 21, 2012
Can some1 talk to our females?? especially so called celebs and reality show wh.ores, fake pastors and all who have broken and are planning to break the sacrament of marriage?!

Lovely couple! A true role model!
Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by whitedove1: 10:15am On Nov 21, 2012
Hmmmm....
Hello Pa and Ma...I'll like to know the secret of this marriage!?!
My child...we grew in a time that "when things get spoilt, we fix them..rather than throw them away!"
...Wow! God I wanna grow old n grey wit my partner! Teach us how to fix tins..let's us know it isn't all rosy rosy always. TEACH ME NOT TO GIVE UP EASILY...amen.

1 Like

Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by greatgod2012(f): 10:21am On Nov 21, 2012
But d question is, how many men are ready to allow their wife be d boss?
Im happy 4 them and without twisting words, i envy them.

2 Likes

Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by k2039: 10:36am On Nov 21, 2012
greatgod2012: But d question is, how many men are ready to allow their wife be d boss?
Im happy 4 them and without twisting words, i envy them.
So you want to be boss
Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by donotbanme1: 10:40am On Nov 21, 2012
401kk: Feminists won't like this news.

hahahaha in swahili
Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by adoniza(m): 10:47am On Nov 21, 2012
Hmmmmm, WOW!
Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by donotbanme1: 10:49am On Nov 21, 2012
Long life and marital bliss is my portion. Amen
Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by tonymariao(m): 10:57am On Nov 21, 2012
God l need a woman after my hrt lyk d betars
Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by sucezTP(f): 11:06am On Nov 21, 2012
I couldn't read through out the page but, i learnt these from the little i was able to read..

''there are so many things in a life time that can make you very very happy and very very sad but, if you can do it together, then its happiness.''

''you know what your committments are and you try to live by them and understand one another. If you don't hold a grudge you can face anything''

Those are the words of encouragement i cherished in their marriage.. I will come back and read others..
Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by aglomar: 11:07am On Nov 21, 2012
9s!
Re: Couple Celebrates 80th Wedding Anniversary, Shares Secrets To Lasting Marriage by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 21, 2012
inwangobio: What a marriage to emulate! I wish mine will last this long, I thank God for people like this. But this one that the wife has to be the boss, na waoooh. In my place they will call you all manner of names like woman wrapper, and that you don chop ' kop nno mi'. May God help us.
Let them call you all sorts of names.Besides,did you read the wife's resonse? S
She said 'there are no bosses' in their union.Look where they are 80yrs on...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hisense 215dr Fridge Worst Product Ever / Wise Woman Richer Than Her Husband Will Secretly Give Him Money At Home - Pastor / Wife Vs Sister. Advice Please.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.