Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,211 members, 7,815,228 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

HIV Infections Fall, U.N. Says Ending AIDS “feasible” - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / HIV Infections Fall, U.N. Says Ending AIDS “feasible” (8389 Views)

Can Condoms Really Prevent Hiv Infections? / Nigeria: Country Records Decline In New HIV Infections / What Is Causes Of Hiv Infections And Other Illness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HIV Infections Fall, U.N. Says Ending AIDS “feasible” by Vongs(m): 8:03pm On Nov 22, 2012
sagytarius™:
Eh Bien, Now I can straff without control. Dig ur grave too man!!

Re: HIV Infections Fall, U.N. Says Ending AIDS “feasible” by EvilSirit: 11:24pm On Nov 22, 2012
FlamingGun: Solidbroda,

There is only one way of finding out if AIDS is real: sleep around unprotected for three months, visit all known prostitutes, then go have yourself tested.

That should be easy to do, shouldn't it?

This "AIDS-does-not-exist" delusion is at the very root of the problem. To come to a public board to spout such nonsense is sad indeed.

FG
d only way to prove Aids is not real is to sleep wit someone dat has d virus,then goo to a different hospital to get tested
Try it!
Re: HIV Infections Fall, U.N. Says Ending AIDS “feasible” by Ama28(f): 11:49pm On Nov 22, 2012
In the case of Nigeria, I do not agree with the UN. Our prevalence rate is reducing not because there are no new infections but because our infected are dying.
They are announcing scaling up drugs and treatments when donor agencies are pulling out of Nigeria even without following up on their projects and the Nigerian government not willing to pay their counterpart fund.
Ministry of health at the state and national level haul HIV test kits until it remains few days to expire before they empty their stores to volunteer testers to use. Who are we cheating? Even our government hasn't prioritize HIV.
Re: HIV Infections Fall, U.N. Says Ending AIDS “feasible” by Nobody: 1:10am On Nov 23, 2012
sagytarius™:
Eh Bien, Now I can straff without control.
Huh! That is clear path to sicknesses and sexually transmitted diseases!
Re: HIV Infections Fall, U.N. Says Ending AIDS “feasible” by aweleokolo: 11:08am On Nov 23, 2012
supereagle: An end to the worldwide AIDS epidemic is in sight, the United Nations says, mainly due to better access to drugs that can both treat and prevent the incurable human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) that causes the disease.

Progress over the past decade has cut the death toll and helped stabilize the number of people infected with HIV, the U.N. AIDS program said in its annual report on Tuesday.

“The global community has embarked on an historic quest to lay the foundation for the eventual end of the AIDS epidemic. This effort is more than merely visionary. It is entirely feasible,” UNAIDS said.

Some 34 million people were living with HIV at the end of 2011, the report said. Deaths from AIDS fell to 1.7 million in 2011, down from a peak of 2.3 million in 2005 and from 1.8 million in 2010.

Worldwide, the number of people newly infected with HIV, which can be transmitted via blood and by semen during sex, is also falling. At 2.5 million, the number of new infections in 2011 was 20 percent lower than in 2001.

“Although AIDS remains one of the world’s most serious health challenges, global solidarity in the AIDS response during the past decade continues to generate extraordinary health gains,” the report said.

It said this was due to “historic success” in bringing HIV programs to scale, combined with the emergence of new combination drugs to prevent people from becoming HIV infected and from dying from AIDS.

“The pace of progress is quickening – what used to take a decade is now being achieved in 24 months,” said Michel Sidibé, executive director of UNAIDS. “We are scaling up faster and smarter than ever before. It is the proof that with political will and follow through we can reach our shared goals.”

TIMELY TREATMENT

Since 1995, AIDS drug treatment – known as antiretroviral therapy – has saved 14 million life-years in poorer countries, including 9 million in sub-Saharan Africa, the report said.

Sub-Saharan Africa is the most severely affected region with almost one in every 20 adults infected, nearly 25 times the rate in Asia, there are also almost 5 million people with HIV in south, southeast and east Asia combined.

Some 8 million people were being treated with AIDS drugs by the end of 2011, a 20-fold increase since 2003. The United Nations has set a target to raise that to 15 million people by 2015.

“Scaling up HIV treatment to 15 million people … is feasible and has the crucial triple benefit of reducing illness, reducing death, and reducing the risk of transmission,” said Manica Balasegaram of the charity Medecins Sans Frontieres.

But he said the pace must be stepped up “so that every month more people are started on life-saving HIV treatment than the month before”.

Scientific studies have shown that getting timely treatment to those with HIV can also cut the number of people who become newly infected with the virus.

UNAIDS said the sharpest declines in new HIV infections since 2001 were in the Caribbean and in sub-Saharan Africa – where new infections were down 25 percent in a decade.

Despite this, sub-Saharan Africa still accounted for 71 percent of people newly infected in 2011, underscoring the need to boost HIV prevention efforts in the region, UNAIDS said. Of the 1.7 million AIDS-related deaths in 2011, 1.2 million were in sub-Saharan Africa.

HIV trends are also a concern in other regions, it said.

Since 2001, the number of new HIV infections in the Middle East and North Africa was up more than 35 percent from 27,000 to 37,000, it said, and evidence suggests HIV infections in Eastern Europe and Central Asia began increasing in the late 2000s after being relatively stable for several years.
http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/11/21/hiv-infections-fall-u-n-says-ending-aids-feasible/

cheesy Yeppy!!!
Re: HIV Infections Fall, U.N. Says Ending AIDS “feasible” by Nobody: 11:20am On Nov 23, 2012
After years of scare and worry and confusion, fom my own very naive (permit to say) perspective, or with my local intelligence, i come to the conclusion that this HIV/AIDS thing could be a scam. ask me why? the figures that WHO put up every year seem to me a fraud owing to their projection. People are making millions of dollars every year from health ministries all over the world at the expense of billions poor around us.
My cousin died of AIDs as they diagnosed it, but after 5 years now, her fiance that dated her for 10 years was tested and still living with no HIV, and now married with his kids. How can they explain this? In all my sexcapades, firing without CD all over, i never had dat virus, though am changed now and very more decent than the past. Pleease is there a disease called HIV/AIDS or its a CIA/KGB/MOSSAD/MI6/White supremo prpaganda to hoodwink the third world?
Re: HIV Infections Fall, U.N. Says Ending AIDS “feasible” by Burger01(m): 1:07pm On Nov 23, 2012
aieromon:

I'm really amazed at your comment. What was your role in the organisation by the way?

I wonder o. Please help me ask him. For someone who once worked with an NGO and spewing shiite like that.. I am sure ARFH would debunk his statement..
Re: HIV Infections Fall, U.N. Says Ending AIDS “feasible” by Burger01(m): 1:14pm On Nov 23, 2012
lastround: Who can tell the house the test that is carried to comfirm that someone has aids.

Rapid Test: Either Abbott or Stat Pak used

Also western Blot test..
Re: HIV Infections Fall, U.N. Says Ending AIDS “feasible” by lastround(m): 9:51am On Nov 24, 2012
Those test does not comform the presence of hiv or aids. They only test for antobody. And what is antibody if I may ask?
Re: HIV Infections Fall, U.N. Says Ending AIDS “feasible” by lastround(m): 9:56am On Nov 24, 2012
Research had shown that hiv virus had not been isolated so how do test for what you don't know? They only look for the presence of a particular antibody and if positive you are told for cd4 count which is a test on your body immune system.
Re: HIV Infections Fall, U.N. Says Ending AIDS “feasible” by deelummy: 12:45pm On Nov 24, 2012
well we can forever argue about this issue-that's d intent ab initio, or we reason. hiv has never been isolated, some test positive for hiv buh never had aids, no antiretroviral. some have aids symptoms and always test negative for hiv. cause of aids in Africa -majorly malnutrition. cause of aids in developed countries- drugs addiction.
most of us only listen to what we hear in the news. please read ! read !! and read !!!

1 Like

Re: HIV Infections Fall, U.N. Says Ending AIDS “feasible” by lastround(m): 9:33pm On Nov 24, 2012
Thank you very much deelumy. You are very right my brother. The conlusion is that we should seek for out the knowledge because if we continue to believe on the media it will get us nowhere. The education starts and ends in asking questions and in seeking answers to those question. Many of us do not even know that some vacinations could lead to false hiv result. May God bless us all
Re: HIV Infections Fall, U.N. Says Ending AIDS “feasible” by sisiafrika(f): 12:41am On Jan 06, 2015
lastround:
Thank you very much deelumy. You are very right my brother. The conlusion is that we should seek for out the knowledge because if we continue to believe on the media it will get us nowhere. The education starts and ends in asking questions and in seeking answers to those question. Many of us do not even know that some vacinations could lead to false hiv result. May God bless us all
what sort of vaccination? Do u still hold to this ur believe?

(1) (2) (Reply)

COVID-19: Ekiti Discharges 5 Patients, Expands Isolation Centre / Get Rid Of HSV,HCV, Hepatitis B & Other Viruses.. / NCDC Just Shot Themselves In The Leg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.