Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,444 members, 7,816,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

Liverpool University’s Postgraduate School Offers Bowen Graduate Scholarship - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Liverpool University’s Postgraduate School Offers Bowen Graduate Scholarship (1833 Views)

Ahmadu Bello University Postgraduate Programme For 2015/2016 Session / University Of Ibadan Postgraduate School 2014/2015 Admissions / Unilorin Postgraduate School Admission 2014/2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Liverpool University’s Postgraduate School Offers Bowen Graduate Scholarship by OsunIfe: 7:21pm On Nov 22, 2012
For the 2011\2012 academic session at the Bowen University, Iwo, Osun State, about 1,001 students drawn from the College of Health Sciences; Faculties of Agriculture; Science and Science Education, as well as Social and Management Science, received the university’s first degree awards, having completed their academic programmes in their respective departments in the institution. The grand  finale of the event, which coincided with the 10th anniversary of the institution, was concluded last Saturday amid pomp and circumstance.

Rising stars gathered that 33 of the graduating students had first class honours.

The Vice Chancellor of the university, Professor Timothy Olagbemiro, presented Miss Oluwadara Jaiyeola, a 19-year-old lady, from the Department of Computer Science and Information Technology, to the audience for special recognition as the overall best graduating student  for  2012 set.

It is worthy of note that Miss Jaiyeola was not just  the  Bowen University’s best award winner of the year, with her  CGPA of 4.93, being the highest in the 2011/2012 academic session in the institution, the position has also won her  full scholarship to run her postgraduate progamme in Liverpool University, United Kingdom, given to her by the Vice Chancellor of the university, Professor Gerald Pillay, who was at the occasion, in recognition of Jaiyeola’s brilliant result.

According to Professor Pillay, Jaiyeola  would be the first Nigerian ever  to enjoy such a facility in  Liverpool. “We are expecting her in Liverpool next year after her national service.
I am indeed  impressed by her performance and she deserves this incentive to encourage  her in the academic field,’’ Professor Pillay stated.

Furthermore, Jaiyeola spoke with  Rising Stars about her academic background and how she made it.

According to her, she had her primary school education at ECLAT  International Junior School, a private nursery and primary school located in Ibadan, Oyo State.  In 2002, she proceeded to Oritamefa Baptist Model School, Ibadan, for her secondary school education programme.

Rising Stars gathered that Jaiyeola had nine distinctions; Seven AIs and 2Bs, in the Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (SSCE), conducted by the West African Examination Council (WAEC), in 2008.

“I wrote the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) in 2008, and my score was 290. However, my parents did not allow me to choose any of the public universities  such as University of Ibadan, University of Lagos, or Obafemi Awolowo University, because of many factors which include violence, cultism, academic instability and other vices that are pervading public universities in the country of late.
This informed my parents to opt for a religion-based university in the  country and the most preferred one was Bowen University established by the Baptist Convention in Iwo, Osun State.

“So, in 2008, I registered for the Post UTME conducted by the institution. I did very well in the examination and the university offered me  admission at the Department of Computer Science and Information Technology. I joined the university at the age of 15.

“Today is a memorable day in my life. Though, I prayed and worked hard towards it, but I never knew it would be this great  as what I have seen today. I give glory to God. My success is attributed to God, the author of life and from whom wisdom emanates. My parents also contributed a lot to my academic life. I have learnt that developing  a passion for something and knowing what one is doing and what it all involved are major factors of success. My passion for Computer  Science made study and learning enjoyable for me in the university.

‘’By all means, we must put aside all forms of  sentiments in the choice of career. If one goes for a course that one has a passion for in the unversity, he or she would excel, especially if the person works hard. This is where success hides. In fact, I wish everybody had this opportunity.

“By and large, I want to thank my parents. They did not influence me as regards the course I had to do in the university. My mother is a nurse and my father is an engineer, yet they  gave me the free hand to go for the course that I had  passion for. Today, it pays me off.

“The challenges that  I ever came across during my undergraduate days and the stringent rules and regulations that Bowen University imposed on the students  as its policy had contributed to my success. I have seen that too much of freedom sometimes  can be inimical to academic success.  Therefore, I see discipline as an inevitable means to climb success ladder.” Miss Jaiyeola appealed to the state and the Federal Governments to work on their universities in the country to rid the institutions of  violence and cultism.”

Meanwhile, Jaiyeola’s parents expressed happiness over the success of their daughter as the  overall best student in the university. According to them when a child is being taught in the way of the Lord and also being guided in  his or her education career not to derail, with God on the side of  such a child, he or she  will do well in life.
Re: Liverpool University’s Postgraduate School Offers Bowen Graduate Scholarship by OsunIfe: 7:22pm On Nov 22, 2012
Re: Liverpool University’s Postgraduate School Offers Bowen Graduate Scholarship by PaulJohn1: 7:46pm On Nov 22, 2012
Congratulations to the girl.
Re: Liverpool University’s Postgraduate School Offers Bowen Graduate Scholarship by tpia1: 7:48pm On Nov 22, 2012
However, my parents did not allow me to choose any of the public universities such as University of Ibadan, University of Lagos, or Obafemi Awolowo University, because of many factors which include violence, cultism, academic instability and other vices that are pervading public universities in the country.

that's unfortunate.

anyway, congrats to her, on her achievement.

1 Like

Re: Liverpool University’s Postgraduate School Offers Bowen Graduate Scholarship by PaulJohn1: 8:05pm On Nov 22, 2012
tpia1:

that's unfortunate.

anyway, congrats to her, on her achievement.

Too bad.

" The challenges that  I ever came across during my undergraduate days and the stringent rules and regulations that Bowen University imposed on the students  as its policy had contributed to my success. I have seen that too much of freedom sometimes  can be inimical to academic success."

This is the part where I dislike these private universities.
Had two siblings who graduated from that school, they had enough annoying stories to tell grin

1 Like

Re: Liverpool University’s Postgraduate School Offers Bowen Graduate Scholarship by tpia1: 2:07am On Nov 23, 2012
Paul John:

Too bad.

true.

anyway,

UK govt to sponsor Nigerian students

The global UK government 2012 scholarships programme is now open to support exceptional Nigeria students in various academic levels.

Operating in several countries world wide, the Chevening scholarships, which are funded by the UK Foreign Commonwealth Office (FCO) and partner organisation, is aimed at awarding scholarships only to exceptional individuals with leadership potentials, giving them the opportunity to run a typical one year Master's degree in any subject and at any UK university.

According to the British High Commissioner (Acting), Giles Lever, "The scholarships aim to support UK foreign policy priorities by creating lasting positive relationships with future leaders, influencers and decision makers around the world.

The Chevening programme provides a unique opportunity for leaders of the future in Nigeria to build a global network of continuing professional significance.

http://odili.net/news/source/2012/nov/22/312.html
Re: Liverpool University’s Postgraduate School Offers Bowen Graduate Scholarship by OsunIfe: 9:26am On Nov 23, 2012
Congrats to her
Re: Liverpool University’s Postgraduate School Offers Bowen Graduate Scholarship by OsunIfe: 8:33am On Nov 24, 2012
Mods, this should be on the front page.
Re: Liverpool University’s Postgraduate School Offers Bowen Graduate Scholarship by OME1(m): 10:56am On Nov 24, 2012
I know her...she was once the assistant head girl of my school...UP OBMS!!!
Re: Liverpool University’s Postgraduate School Offers Bowen Graduate Scholarship by Sleek05(f): 11:40am On Nov 24, 2012
Haaaa. Dis is d babe dat had straight A's in her first 2years in Bowen. Congrats grl. U absolutely deserve it. But dey ddnt give d best graduating student in our set Jimoh any scholarship and dey gave d best students before and after us. Wat happened to 2010/2011 set? Not fair jor but congrats 2 d grl tho. Wizkid!
Re: Liverpool University’s Postgraduate School Offers Bowen Graduate Scholarship by OsunIfe: 12:17pm On Nov 24, 2012
O.M.E:
I know her...she was once the assistant head girl of my school...UP OBMS!!!

Excellent. You know her?! Then you must beat her record in you life endevour wink
Re: Liverpool University’s Postgraduate School Offers Bowen Graduate Scholarship by Nobody: 4:36pm On Dec 01, 2012
Good for her

(1) (Reply)

ANALYSIS: Why Does ASUU "Always" Go On Strike? / Ogun State Govt Shift Schools Resumption Date / Federal University Of Agriculture, Abeokuta(FUNAAB) Anthem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.