Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,555 members, 7,819,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Considering Statistics As A Course - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Considering Statistics As A Course (7298 Views)

How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? / What A Student Should Do After Failing A Course / Best Five Universities In Nigeria To Study Biochemistry As A Course. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Considering Statistics As A Course by hotchic1(f): 10:57pm On Feb 07, 2008
I am considering statistics as an option but i have been advised by loads of people that it is a very demanding course and i might end up with no life on campus.
If you are a graduate of statistics or an undergraduate,please tell me your opinion concerning this course,do you consider it to be a very difficult,challenging and demanding course,do you think its more of men's course.
Do you think it takes more than ordinary passion for mathematics to suceed?
Re: Considering Statistics As A Course by IykeD(m): 12:57am On Feb 08, 2008
Hi hotchic, i can understand your situation. I studied maths/statistics with major in stats and i can boldly say it's an interesting course. If you like maths especially the statiscal aspect, then go for it, you won't regret it. All it entails is speed and accuracy while working and you need to be very good with modern scientific calculators.
You do not need anything extra-ordinary to succeed, just your love for it can see you through and it's not as demanding as you have been made to believe, you can study stats and still catch your fun on campus.
For after school, you have a wide area of application(Banking, Business, Insurance etc). For your masters,  you can go into Finance, IT, Engineering etc if you wish to further.
I say again, go for it, you will enjoy it at least you don't have to jack all your life to cram and pour out in one exam, what you need is just constant practice, remember if you leave maths 2 days, it leaves you for 2 weeks(or more) and  you then have to play catch up.Wishing you all the best, let me know if you need more info/details.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Considering Statistics As A Course by zebra(m): 10:08am On Feb 08, 2008
@hotchic

Statistics is a good course, but you have to be very serious with your studies because you will be faced with very tough mathematics courses like calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, trigonometry etc. coupled with computer programming courses, operational research courses and advance statistical courses like experimental design, econometrics, biometrics and statistical quality control.

If you take your studies very serious you may be able to work in IT as a programmer or software engineer (that is if you took your programming courses very serious). You can also go into Networking and Database. You can also wish to work in a research lab with other scientists. Banks and other financial houses need people with mathematical skills, so you can work in a bank too.

Go ahead and do Statistics and become a Statistician. it's a good course.

1 Like

Re: Considering Statistics As A Course by ishmael(m): 9:38am On Feb 11, 2008
Statistics is a very good course. Stop talking about life in campus; what matters most is life after campus. Try and get a 2.1.

But get ready to do all sort of advanced mathematics/statistics courses, operations research courses and computer programming courses.

Yes, you can go into IT or accounting and do excellently well there because of the mathematical skills you have.
Re: Considering Statistics As A Course by juicy1(f): 4:42pm On Feb 11, 2008
Statistics is a wonderful course,am a testimony to that,when you're out there,you fit to any field,banking,insurance,oil and gas etc.
go and makes it .

NB//
You will be a hot cake when you come out with a flying colours,you know wat that means,take your study serious,makes research and implement it.
Re: Considering Statistics As A Course by zebra(m): 6:27pm On Feb 11, 2008
juicy1:

Statistics is a wonderful course,am a testimony to that,when you're out there,you fit to any field,banking,insurance,oil and gas etc.
go and makes it .

NB//
You will be a hot cake when you come out with a flying colours,you know what that means,take your study serious,makes research and implement it.

Are you also a Statistician??
Re: Considering Statistics As A Course by hotchic1(f): 8:21pm On Feb 11, 2008
A big thanks to you all
During my A-level studies,i haven't got any problem with calculus,differential equations and stuffs,the programming bit,i know nothing about,i found most of the modules to be alright but the statistics bit seems a little bit complicated(may be because i wasn't enough attention and i wasn't really practicing it.
But the point is i filled my UCAS form and to my surprise,my Mathematics teacher told me Mathematics seems to be a really difficult aspect and he won't advice me to go for it.
I wouldn't like a situation where i will go in there,spend a year doing statistics and opt.
Please is there any body here that considers his or herself as an average student and was able to make it through with good grades because i don't want to spend 3years in the Uni and come out with 2;2 or 3rd class?
Re: Considering Statistics As A Course by zebra(m): 8:00am On Feb 13, 2008
@hot chic

If you know you cannot do STATISTICS and come out with a 2.1 then fashi it and go another course you feel you can get a 2.1. These days employers rely so much on grades and give people with 1st class and 2.1 edge over others.

1 Like

Re: Considering Statistics As A Course by juicy1(f): 10:37am On Feb 13, 2008
Yes Zebra, I am and very proud to be one.
zebra:

Are you also a Statistician??
Re: Considering Statistics As A Course by zebra(m): 3:38pm On Feb 13, 2008
@juicy1

Good to know that you are a Statistician. But i always wonder how ladies cope doing mathematical courses. You must be good then. So presently where do you work??

I'm a Statistician too, but i work in the IT department of a bank as a sytems man, i only teach people mathematics, statistics and operations research courses as well as some programming languages and application packages like excel and SPSS. Statistics is really sweet.
Re: Considering Statistics As A Course by juicy1(f): 2:18pm On Feb 19, 2008
that's a gud one,i work in a trading company.
zebra:

@juicy1

Good to know that you are a Statistician. But i always wonder how ladies cope doing mathematical courses. You must be good then. So presently where do you work??

I'm a Statistician too, but i work in the IT department of a bank as a sytems man, i only teach people mathematics, statistics and operations research courses as well as some programming languages and application packages like excel and SPSS. Statistics is really sweet.
Re: Considering Statistics As A Course by zebra(m): 6:57pm On Feb 20, 2008
@juicy1
Dats a good one for you too.
Re: Considering Statistics As A Course by debradixon: 11:18am On Jan 08, 2020
This is very appealing, however , it is very important that will mouse click on the connection: How to Lose Belly Fat in a Week

(1) (Reply)

Solutions To Examination Malpractices In Nigeria / English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary / Tompolo Sets-up Education Trust Funds For Niger Delta Pupils

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.