Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,815 members, 7,817,365 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:05 AM

Ikenna,sienna,how Good Is A Renault Megane Scenic 2000 Model - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ikenna,sienna,how Good Is A Renault Megane Scenic 2000 Model (3533 Views)

How Good Is Toyota Matrix? / 7 Days Ultimatum For Ikenna To Quit / Renault Megane Vs Volkswagen Sharan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ikenna,sienna,how Good Is A Renault Megane Scenic 2000 Model by 3poh(m): 8:56am On Nov 23, 2012
My younger bro is planning on buying a renault megane scenic 2000. I understand this car is a french car. I have my fears and doubts about this mpv pls how strong and reliable is this car? Are parts readily availables here in lagos?
Re: Ikenna,sienna,how Good Is A Renault Megane Scenic 2000 Model by Ikenna351(m): 9:39am On Nov 23, 2012
3p_oh: My younger bro is planning on buying a renault megane scenic 2000. I understand this car is a french car. I have my fears and doubts about this mpv pls how strong and reliable is this car? Are parts readily availables here in lagos?

I dont stay in Lagos. So i donot know the availability of the vehicle parts in Lagos. But i do know the parts may likely be hard to find here in Nigeria. Am not sure i have seen Megane Scenic in Abuja. Even if they do exist here in Abuja, they are not many, for me not to have noticed. I see mostly Laguna.

As for how good or reliable the megane scenic is, check this reviews below:

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/renault/megane/

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/renault/scenic/

You can also find out the parts availabilty from any Renault dealership in Lagos. If you cant find proof that the parts are available, tell your brother not to buy the vehicle, unless he is ready to be sourcing the parts from France or UK. It's your brother's call.

Ikenna.
Re: Ikenna,sienna,how Good Is A Renault Megane Scenic 2000 Model by Nobody: 9:49am On Nov 23, 2012
With the Renault Scenic, the manual gearbox is an extremely weak point. I've not come across one of these vehicles that has covered 60,000 miles and beyond, without one niggle or the other. As per the automatic, I haven't heard of them going bad mechanically, but going into limp mode due to electronic issues isn't uncommon.

Instrument clusters can go dead, so no speedo, rev counter, coolant and fuel gauges will work. The crank sensor is another bugbear - Renault have tried to rectify the constant failure, by producing a revised version, with a modified harness. I'm not sure if it's worked or not.

As with most modern French vehicles, the bodywork is pretty thin, and vulnerable to dents. The front wings are made of plastic, and can split if subjected to light impact. This mostly happens during cold spells, when the plastic becomes brittle, so this may not be an issue with Nigeria's hotter climate. The front forward section (chassis rails) is not the most durable.

16V models require specific tools to set the timing when replacing the timing belt. Worse if it's a late model with Variable Cam Timing. Coil packs on 16V models are the "pen" variety, so 4 long individual coils, which whilst not expensive here, may be costly or difficult to source in Nigeria.

The cooling system is not easy to bleed, and sometimes several attempts need to be made. It has three bleed screws, which can seize up, and snap (they're plastic).

Personally, I would look at a less fragile MPV for Nigerian use.
Re: Ikenna,sienna,how Good Is A Renault Megane Scenic 2000 Model by 3poh(m): 10:32am On Nov 23, 2012
Thank u ikenna, sienna for ur prompt responses. I've just shown him this,the bobo is at a loss. Sirs, which of these less fragile mpvs brands,good for nigerian use wud u rather suggest for us? Make us happy o!
Re: Ikenna,sienna,how Good Is A Renault Megane Scenic 2000 Model by Nobody: 10:41am On Nov 23, 2012
Toyota Sienna.
Toyota Previa.
Toyota Avensis Verso.
Volkswagen Sharan.
Honda Stream.
Honda Odyssey.
Re: Ikenna,sienna,how Good Is A Renault Megane Scenic 2000 Model by Ngutor(m): 5:23pm On Nov 24, 2012
What of the Opel Zafira
Re: Ikenna,sienna,how Good Is A Renault Megane Scenic 2000 Model by Nobody: 6:50pm On Nov 24, 2012
Ngutor: What of the Opel Zafira

That's another good MPV. I didn't mention it, as I have no idea how popular it is in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

FORD ESCAPE 2008 Model / Why Do A Lot Of Nigerians Detest Coupe Cars? / How To Increase Car Battery Life : What No One Tells You About Car Battery Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.