Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,681 members, 7,955,521 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:12 AM

Hadiths - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Hadiths (1288 Views)

10 Hadiths About Hajj / 15 Anti-corruption Hadiths / 40 Hadiths And The Lessons: Learn Islam and comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hadiths by Leilah(f): 3:00am On Feb 08, 2008
hello everyone and Assalamu alaikum to Al- Muhmin.

I would like to ask your opinion on some hadiths. As we all know some of them are fabricated. What ones do you think are fabricated?

What about this one?

Hadith - Bukhari 8:242, 8:245, Narrated Abu Huraira

The Prophet said, "Allah likes sneezing and dislikes yawning, so if someone sneezes and then praises Allah, then it is obligatory on every Muslim who heard him, to say: May Allah be merciful to you (Yar-hamuka-l-lah). But as regards yawning, it is from Satan, so one must try one's best to stop it, if one says 'Ha' when yawning, Satan will laugh at him." grin
Re: Hadiths by 4Him(m): 3:56am On Feb 08, 2008
Leilah:

I would like to ask your opinion on some hadiths. As we all know some of them are fabricated. What ones do you think are fabricated?

The ones that muslims find difficult to explain.
Re: Hadiths by 4Him(m): 4:01am On Feb 08, 2008
Leilah:

Hadith - Bukhari 8:242, 8:245, Narrated Abu Huraira

The Prophet said, "Allah likes sneezing and dislikes yawning, so if someone sneezes and then praises Allah, then it is obligatory on every Muslim who heard him, to say: May Allah be merciful to you (Yar-hamuka-l-lah). But as regards yawning, it is from Satan, so one must try one's best to stop it, if one says 'Ha' when yawning, Satan will laugh at him." grin

grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy this must be a "fabricated" hadith.
Re: Hadiths by stranger26(f): 4:35am On Feb 08, 2008
Wa alaykum salam.
That hadith is actually true. That's why we say "Alhamdulillah" when we sneeze and people around you say "yarhamukallah".
I'm not sure about the wording, though (you shouldn't yawn with your mouth open).

On the other hand, where did you get that hadith from? You didn't reference it properly; the references you gave are not on the topic of yawning or sneezing.
Re: Hadiths by 4Him(m): 6:50am On Feb 08, 2008
stranger26:

Wa alaykum salam.
That hadith is actually true. That's why we say "Alhamdulillah" when we sneeze and people around you say "yarhamukallah".
I'm not sure about the wording, though (you shouldn't yawn with your mouth open).

On the other hand, where did you get that hadith from? You didn't reference it properly; the references you gave are not on the topic of yawning or sneezing.

this is like saying u shldnt breathe with ur nostrils open. Yawning is a reflex action . . .
Re: Hadiths by stranger26(f): 7:03am On Feb 08, 2008
No actually that means cover your mouth when you yawn; as in don't leave your mouth open.

By the way, I yawn through my nose. It's only recently that I started yawning through my mouth. I'm so not used to yawning through my mouth that when I do, my friend always tells me I'm faking a yawn. It's just natural for me to close my mouth and the air just goes through my nose. smiley
Its cool, though,,,cos it doesn't show when I'm bored of someone's monologue and I'm saved the embarrassment of an open yawn in the speaker's/lecturer's face. smiley
Re: Hadiths by stimulus(m): 7:24am On Feb 08, 2008
@stranger26,

stranger26:

No actually that means cover your mouth when you yawn; as in don't leave your mouth open.

The hadith does not project that idea. It says to either say 'Ha' (and give Satan a comic relief to laugh at the yawner), or one should try to stop it! It does not even suggest that one should pass the yawn through the nostrils - unless you wan become Sufi innovator! grin

stranger26:

Its cool, though,,,because it doesn't show when I'm bored of someone's monologue and I'm saved the embarrassment of an open yawn in the speaker's/lecturer's face. smiley

I know a few English babes who do the same (wonder why it is only when they are approached by an African that they pass their yawn through the nose!) grin
Re: Hadiths by 4Him(m): 7:32am On Feb 08, 2008
stranger26:

you simply skirted around the issue. What of babies who cannot yawn with their nostrils and have no sense of covering their mouths when they yawn? Is Satan also laughing at them too? Considering the number of babies born everyday all over the world . . . isnt Satan tired of laughing?

Yawning like breathing and coughing are reflex actions, you cant prevent it from happening. What does satan do when u cough or do u cough through ur nostrils?
Re: Hadiths by stranger26(f): 10:01am On Feb 08, 2008
@stimulus: that's why I said I'm not sure of the wording. I haven't read that hadith in a long while and I don't have my book with me so, even though the wording seems a bit different, I cannot correct it.

That's funny, I thought I was the only one who yawns through the nose,,,ase I get partners cheesy

@4him: I do not know the answer to your question. I'll only say this: In Islam, no one is responsible/accountable for their actions until they reach puberty. That's why nothing is compulsory until puberty.
And I don't know what Shaytan does when we cough; you can try to find out if you really want to know.
Re: Hadiths by stimulus(m): 10:39am On Feb 08, 2008
@stranger,

stranger26:

@stimulus: that's why I said I'm not sure of the wording. I haven't read that hadith in a long while and I don't have my book with me so, even though the wording seems a bit different, I cannot correct it.

Okay. Actually I wasn't suggesting that the wording should be corrected. cheesy

stranger26:

That's funny, I thought I was the only one who yawns through the nose,,,ase I get partners cheesy

I've been sitting down here waiting to yawn so I could pass it through my nose. In order to get me yawning, I had to go visit some very boring posts - and then the yawn came. O'boy. . . I try no be small - but the experience left me thinking seriously! shocked How do you do it again? grin
Re: Hadiths by stranger26(f): 10:50am On Feb 08, 2008
@stimulus; ahem, you need special powers to be able to do that. smiley lol

Nah, just don't open your mouth and redirect it through your nose. Man, I should start charging for these lessons "How to hide your boredom when your BOSS is droning!". smiley
Re: Hadiths by stimulus(m): 1:45pm On Feb 10, 2008
@stranger26,

stranger26:

@stimulus; ahem, you need special powers to be able to do that. smiley lol

Na true you talk o jare - since the last time we communicated, I've tried several times to pass it as prescribed. I never get enough power to explain my experience afterwards! grin

stranger26:

Nah, just don't open your mouth and redirect it through your nose. Man, I should start charging for these lessons "How to hide your boredom when your BOSS is droning!". smiley

Haha! When the fees come in, me I go take off! cheesy
Re: Hadiths by BetaThings: 4:10pm On Aug 13, 2012
4Him:

you simply skirted around the issue. What of babies who cannot yawn with their nostrils and have no sense of covering their mouths when they yawn? Is Satan also laughing at them too? Considering the number of babies born everyday all over the world . . . isnt Satan tired of laughing?

Yawning like breathing and coughing are reflex actions, you cant prevent it from happening. What does satan do when u cough or do u cough through ur nostrils?
I used to think that you could not stop it until I read Whirlwind by James Clavell
A secret agent was hiding in the bush with some of his guides and one of the guides sneezed
The secret agent silenced him with his looks
Later when they could talk, the guide said he could not suppress his sneezing
He pointed out that the guide would do it if his life depended on it
Re: Hadiths by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 13, 2012
This article hurts our sensibilities, it should not be here.

Move to the ISLAM section.
Re: Hadiths by tbaba1234: 10:43pm On Aug 13, 2012
@OP

I do not think anyone here is qualified to talk about the authenticity of a hadith.... You have to be careful in making conclusions about hadiths without understanding its historical context or what it means in the arabic language, some hadiths are poorly translated and do not convey the meaning accurately... The scholars have grouped hadiths according to their authenticity... That is good enough...

If you do not understand the arabic language or the science of hadiths... then i do not think you are qualified to discuss this topic...
Re: Hadiths by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 14, 2012
tbaba1234: @OP

I do not think anyone here is qualified to talk about the authenticity of a hadith.... You have to be careful in making conclusions about hadiths without understanding its historical context or what it means in the arabic language, some hadiths are poorly translated and do not convey the meaning accurately... The scholars have grouped hadiths according to their authenticity... That is good enough...

If you do not understand the arabic language or the science of hadiths... then i do not think you are qualified to discuss this topic...

Which means many Muslims i know are not qualified to discuss a book they have so much faith in therefore knowledge remains in the hands of a few who might mislead the many with their own personal opinion of the hadiths. Perhaps it will help if those who have this understanding of the historical context and what it means in Arabic will translate it and convey the accurate meaning so that all Muslims can have a true grasp of the hadiths.
Re: Hadiths by tbaba1234: 10:24pm On Aug 14, 2012
andromida: Which means many Muslims i know are not qualified to discuss a book they have so much faith in therefore knowledge remains in the hands of a few who might mislead the many with their own personal opinion of the hadiths. Perhaps it will help if those who have this understanding of the historical context and what it means in Arabic will translate it and convey the accurate meaning so that all Muslims can have a true grasp of the hadiths.

The body of knowledge has been built over thousands of years so there are many commentaries on the every hadith, These commentaries grade their authenticity and gives reasons why they consider it authentic or not, you can as an individual build an opinion based on that. Many commentaries are translated to english and you can buy them. Many people do not do that and base their opinions on shallow translations.

It is a display of intellectual arrogance to make comments without understanding ancient arabic idioms,the classical arabic or the context of revelation. That is my point.
Re: Hadiths by proo212(m): 10:44pm On Aug 14, 2012
A difficult situation for you guys because it must look and feel authentic but this clearly isn't. There are so many like that.....A thinking person would and should be examining his position

(1) (Reply)

Between Bribe And Gift / Lagos: Update On Hijab / Ahlu Sunnah Wa Jammah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.