Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,059 members, 7,810,950 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:14 PM

Jesus Genealogy - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jesus Genealogy (5215 Views)

Why Are Jesus' Genealogy In Matthew And Luke So Different? / Conflicting accounts on the Genealogy of Joseph in Luke and Matthew Gospels / Jesus Genealogy In The Bible And The Virgin Birth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jesus Genealogy by Nobody: 10:11am On Feb 13, 2008
Jesus also comments on His own genealogy:

Mark 12:35-37

And as Jesus taught in the temple, he said, "How can the scribes say that the Christ is the son of David? David himself, inspired by the Holy Spirit, declared, `The Lord said to my Lord, Sit at my right hand, till I put thy enemies under thy feet.' David himself calls him Lord; so how is he his son?"

@therationa
Do you feel me?
Re: Jesus Genealogy by therationa(m): 10:46am On Feb 13, 2008
Imhotep,

Pardon me. Looks like you are clutching at straws. You have completely evaded the centrality of my questions. I shall restated them;

1) Both Luke and Matt give Jesus' father as Joseph but totally different paternal grand-generations. How come?

2) You guys have made the case that Luke's is actually Mary's genealogy, although Mary's name does not appear anywhere in the tree of both accounts. Even if I concede this point, there are still a lot of problems with the account.

3) Luke's account has 15 generations more that Matt's. This simply does not make sense. It would imply Mary's was much older than Joseph when Jesus was born.

4) Luke's account extends to the start of humanity, implying humanity started about 10000 years ago. But this is BOGUS.

These are the central issues about this question. Put you thinking hat, please, before attempting them again. Don't just recite verbiage from the bible.
Re: Jesus Genealogy by Nobody: 10:59am On Feb 13, 2008
therationa:

Imhotep,

Pardon me. Looks like you are clutching at straws. You have completely evaded the centrality of my questions. I shall restated them;

1) Both Luke and Matt give Jesus' father as Joseph but totally different paternal grand-generations. How come?

2) You guys have made the case that Luke's is actually Mary's genealogy, although Mary's name does not appear anywhere in the tree of both accounts. Even if I concede this point, there are still a lot of problems with the account.

3) Luke's account has 15 generations more that Matt's. This simply does not make sense. It would imply Mary's was much older than Joseph when Jesus was born.

4) Luke's account extends to the start of humanity, implying humanity started about 10000 years ago. But this is BOGUS.

These are the central issues about this question. Put you thinking hat, please, before attempting them again. Don't just recite verbiage from the bible.

And I am implying that these genealogies are neither here nor there. They belong to rabbinic records (or something like that) and to no place else.

All that matters to Jesus is that He is the Son of God; as such He is without [/i]a paternal lineage ([i]since God is being itself).

Getting bogged down by the genealogies in gospels means missing the point about Jesus.

In the book of Hebrews, Jesus is compared to Melchizedek.

The author of Heb 7:3 affirms of Melchizedek: "He is without father or mother or genealogy; he has neither beginning of days nor end of life . . . he continues a priest forever."

Please read up more on this
Re: Jesus Genealogy by therationa(m): 11:03am On Feb 13, 2008
Imotep,

This is breathtaking ! smiley So should we believe that he was descended from David? And how was he descended? Would you apply such levity to the Koran or any other non-christian religious text?
Re: Jesus Genealogy by stimulus(m): 11:07am On Feb 13, 2008
@therationa,

It is actually becoming worrisome to observe that you either refuse to read the rejoinders already offered while pretending to sound intelligent. Every single item of your argument has been soundly addressed, observations made, and queries offered following those observations - where have you dealt with them? grin

Let me remind you of how bogus your arguments are:

therationa:

Because they adopted different approaches to the genealogy accounts - as has been recognized today by other genealogy experts who affirm that there are various ways of tracing genealogies.

Did you deal with that fact?

therationa:

2) You guys have made the case that Luke's is actually Mary's genealogy, although Mary's name does not appear anywhere in the tree of both accounts.

Did you ever settle down to read the accounts yourself? What do you read in Matthew 1:16 before arguing that Mary's name does not apear anywhere in the tree of both accounts?

therationa:

Even if I concede this point, there are still a lot of problems with the account.

Please drop the hypocrisy! What problems have you intelligently produced for your argument that have not been soundly dealt with?

therationa:

3) Luke's account has 15 generations more that Matt's. This simply does not make sense.

It does not make sense - to you - because you have refused to acknowledge the reason thereto, whih I have explained!

therationa:

It would imply Mary's was much older than Joseph when Jesus was born.

How do you establish that idea other than noising it in hope that it would pass for the norm?

therationa:

Your 10000 year gap is even more disastrous than your allegations against Luke and Matthew - because up until now, you have simply been weak in the knees to establish how you arrived at that figure! grin

therationa:

These are the central issues about this question.

These are no issues at all - just one person's mind doing overtime on matters he can't sustain.

therationa:

Put you thinking hat, please, before attempting them again.

We haven't seen you intelligently argue out the points raised in several rejoinders. Do I suspect that to mean you simply have no clue about your own premise, or you're too embarrassed to reason intelligently thereto?

therationa:

Don't just recite verbiage from the bible.

Don't try reciting the same anthem from other sources that you can't defend.
Re: Jesus Genealogy by stimulus(m): 11:10am On Feb 13, 2008
@therationa,

therationa:

Stimulus,

Please, please, please. I think you are bullshitting (pardon me, I don't mean to be insulting. I am using the BS word in a "philosophical sense"wink around.

No worries - I don't feel insulted by the above, actually. What amazes me is that you make such wild and frantic statements when you have said absolutely NOTHING about the points raised in my previous rejoinders! grin

therationa:

Watch this video and hope you get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSdkyjszSt4

Should I take that to mean that you can't gather your own thoughts together on the issues I pointed out? And how does the youtube clip answer the points raised in my repostes? grin

therationa:

This is breathtaking ! smiley So should we believe that he was descended from David?

Do you have something of substance to show that the lineage could not be traced to David?

therationa:

And how was he descended?

Precisely as have been pointed out several times already!

therationa:

Would you apply such levity to the Koran or any other non-christian religious text?

If the Qur'an has such a genealogy in the first place, perhaps you may point it out to us. What Sura and ayat? grin

As regards non-Christian religious text, please peel your eyes and look again at the example of the source I cited earlier: GENUKI - UK and Ireland Genealogy -- what have you said about the factors involved in that outline? grin
Re: Jesus Genealogy by therationa(m): 11:21am On Feb 13, 2008
Stimulus,

Matt 1: 16 says the following;

"Jacob was the father of Joseph. Joseph was the husband of Mary, and Mary was the mother of Jesus. Jesus is called the Christ"

So to summarise;

David ------------ Joseph - Jesus

According to this account Mary is not related to David. Mary is Joseph's wife.

What are you talking about? Lukes account also does not have Mary on the tree.
Re: Jesus Genealogy by Nobody: 11:26am On Feb 13, 2008
@therationa
Let me re-post Jesus' comments on his own genealogy (note the lines in red) ->

1) Mark 12:35-37

And as Jesus taught in the temple, he said, "How can the scribes say that the Christ is the son of David? David himself, inspired by the Holy Spirit, declared, `The Lord said to my Lord, Sit at my right hand, till I put thy enemies under thy feet.' David himself calls him Lord; so how is he his son?"

2) John 8:58 -> "before Abraham was, I Am"

1 Like

Re: Jesus Genealogy by stimulus(m): 11:56am On Feb 13, 2008
@therationa,

therationa:

Stimulus,

Matt 1: 16 says the following;

"Jacob was the father of Joseph. Joseph was the husband of Mary, and Mary was the mother of Jesus. Jesus is called the Christ"

So to summarise;

David ------------ Joseph - Jesus

And for all that, is your assertion that "Mary's name does not appear anywhere in the tree of[b] both[/b] accounts" sustained by Matthew 1:16? Does that verse not prove your assertion wrong already?

therationa:

According to this account Mary is not related to David.

Mary is related to the Davidic lineage by the fact she was married into that family[i] through[/i] Joseph. Please remember again that this is a legitimate principle even adopted by those in the discipline of genealogies, as in the example cited from GENUKI without reference to religion. Could I highlight again how they applied this principle? Here:

[list][li]Some people aim to produce a "Family Tree" - showing their male-line ancestors (father, grandfather, greatgrandfather, etc.) and the wives, brothers and sisters of these ancestors.[/li]

[li]Yet others attempt just to trace as many as possible of their direct ancestors, through both male and female lines, and so produce what is termed an "Ancestry Chart". [/li][/list]

Now, if such non-religious researchers recognize that the wife is included in the ancestry of a person, what is the rationale behind your argument that it could not be so as in the case with Mary in the lineage of David?

therationa:

Mary is Joseph's wife.

Which all the more strengthens the fact that Mary is not to be disregarded from the lineage.

therationa:

What are you talking about? Lukes account also does not have Mary on the tree.

That Luke does not have Mary is not a direct reference for denying the fact that she is regarded in that genealogy as Matthew demonstrates.

Please notice also that Luke does not mention the names of the women which we find in Matthew's account of the genealogy - does that therefore mean that such women as Thamar (Matt. 1:3), Rachab (Matt. 1:5), and Ruth (Matt. 1:5) are not to be considered in the genealogy of Christ? grin

My dear therationa, I wonder why you are so desperate to look away from the facts presented to you! Arguing listlessly the way you do is not helping your cause; and the denials you make are not good substitutes for rational thoughts. grin
Re: Jesus Genealogy by Nobody: 11:59am On Feb 13, 2008
@therationa
Jesus knows His true lineage. He did NOT have to rely on Jewish genealogists to inform Him.
Re: Jesus Genealogy by ayobase(m): 3:39pm On Feb 13, 2008
the desciples of
Jesus where like students

their answers will surely differ

John might have gone somewhere
when Jesus was saying something.

So,by the time John is reporting
he will surely ommit the part he never
and in which Luke will put down cos
he was there while the narration.

different people with different stories.

but the combination of those
stories will give u the whole pictures!!

concerning Jesus baing God`s son

God has different methods of reproduction.
what about the bacterisa?
Re: Jesus Genealogy by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:21pm On Feb 13, 2008
The birth-line of the Son of God, Jesus Christ can both be traced through Mary and Joseph.  The genealogy of Jesus through Mary is what you find in Luke 3:23-38 and His genealogy through Joseph can be found in Matt.1:1-16

Mary's father Heli Lk.3:23 had no sons but had daughters and as the custom is for the husband of Mary to become the legal son of Heli since women are never reckoned in genealogies.  So Joseph took the place of Mary in this genealogy which is the natural line traced back to Adam.  Jesus' genealogy could also be traced through Joseph in Matt.1:16 which is the royal line this begins at the source of the dynasty and ends with Jesus Christ.

As it is clear that Joseph did not have sexual relations with Mary before Mary conceived, the immaculate conception took place in Luke 1:35 where the Holy Spirit 'overshadowed' Mary preventing Mary's sinful nature to pass unto that 'Holy thing' who was to be known as the Son of God.  Thus, the only begotten of the Father.

Luke 1:47 This verse disproves the theory of the immaculate conception or the total absence of original sin in Mary as taught in the RCC and referenced by Ndipe.  If God was her Saviour then she must have been a sinner in order to be saved.  It is another fallacy that Mary did not consumate her marriage after the birth of Jesus, as she had four sons and at least three daughters Luke 8:19; Matt.13:55-56; Mark 6:3; Matt.1:25; Lk.2:7; Psalms 69:8-9; Matt. 12:46-50; Mk.3:31-35; Lk.8:19-21; Jn.2:12; 7:3-10; Acts.1:14; Gal. 1:19;

I had to go to this extent so as to disprove the false doctrines which was started by the pagans in the church in their attempt to raise the profile of Mary from a mere 'handmaid of the Lord' Lk.1:38 to that of mother of God and to invest her with divine powers as a goddess.  Hence, preparing the way for identifying her as the goddess of paganism, who is supposed to be the mother of a divine son, and who is yet a virgin.  Such as Isis, the mother of Horus who is depicted to be always with a son in her arms.  It is no surprise that the adherents from the other religion have the misconception that Christians believe in God the Father, the Mother and the Son as trinity.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-34125.96.html

I believe that the above quote and previous rejoiners have answered the questions posted.
Re: Jesus Genealogy by therationa(m): 5:25pm On Feb 13, 2008
imhotep:

@therationa
Jesus knows His true lineage. He did have to rely on Jewish genealogists to inform Him.

My Goodness. This is breathtakingly bizarre. I thought Jesus was also god. How could a god not have known and had to rely of Jewis genealogist. Are you making it up as you go along?
Re: Jesus Genealogy by Nobody: 5:27pm On Feb 13, 2008
therationa:

My Goodness. This is breathtakingly bizarre. I thought Jesus was also god. How could a god not have known and had to rely of Jewis genealogist. Are you making it up as you go along?

My mistake. I have corrected the earlier post.
Re: Jesus Genealogy by Horus(m): 7:45pm On Dec 06, 2008

Melchizedek

imhotep:

, In the book of Hebrews, Jesus is compared to Melchizedek.

The author of Heb 7:3 affirms of Melchizedek: "He is without father or mother or genealogy; he has neither beginning of days nor end of life . . . he continues a priest forever."
Re: Jesus Genealogy by mantraa: 2:41am On Dec 09, 2008
Can someone here help me to understand the whole trinity godhead principle.
Because the way i see it Jesus doesn't need any genealogy. Mary was a virgin before being made pregnant by the Holy Ghost.

If you really think about it and believe that there is only one god. Then Jesus Christ, who is his own father and son, actually impregnates his own mother to begat himself, so that he can sacrifice himself to himself to appease himself for his own mistakes in the garden of Eden.
You cannot blame Adam and Eve for eating the fruit because before they ate it they would not have known about good and evil and would not have known that the talking snake was evil.

If God is truly omnipotent and omniscient why did he allow the devil into the garden in the first place? The smart thing to do would be to keep the devil out of his perfect creation and protect his children like you would your own children.

If an evil person tried to entice your innocent young children away from you, you would do everything in your power to protect them and warn them of the danger wouldn't you? You wouldn't punish them and their unborn children for all eternity. And then drown them all when things start getting from bad to worse!

If God created everything then where did the devil come from? God must have created him too. He created all the angels, archangels, cherubims. seraphims etc. so why send the fallen angel to earth and let him into the garden to mess it all up in the first place?

Please understand that i am not trying to disrespect anyone but you can see from my way of thinking how it is becoming more and more difficult to believe in the story any more. Just as you would find it difficult to understand why someone has faith in another belief, such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Scientology, Mormonism, nuwabianism, Sikhism etc. etc. etc. Even though It doesn't make any sense to you that person will swear that it is all true and that all others faiths are wrong.

Don't be afraid to question. But never underestimate the power of denial.

Peace and love to all.
Re: Jesus Genealogy by IDINRETE: 3:43pm On Dec 09, 2008
welcome to the club  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Jesus Genealogy by Bastage: 4:34pm On Dec 09, 2008
Maybe this will clarify things:

"The two accounts cannot be harmonized and today the genealogy accounts are generally taken to be "theological" constructs."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogy_of_Jesus
Re: Jesus Genealogy by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 09, 2008
Bastage:

Maybe this will clarify things:

"The two accounts cannot be harmonized and today the genealogy accounts are generally taken to be "theological" constructs."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogy_of_Jesus

I look forward to the day you people will come up with something more valid than wikipedia entries.
Scholars have thrashed this out and we already know which of the genealogies belong to Joseph and which is Mary's.
Re: Jesus Genealogy by Bastage: 5:45pm On Dec 09, 2008
If the two trees belonged to Mary and Joseph (which they don't), Jesus Christ would be nothing more than the result of interbreeding.

Oh hang on. God was his father. That means that Joseph's tree is totally and utterly irrelevant. Nice of the Bible's authors to include something in a "the Book of Truth" that isn't worth a crap then, isn't it?

Scholars have thrashed this out

For DavidDylan's version of "scholars" read "delusional idiots".
Re: Jesus Genealogy by yam: 6:34pm On Dec 09, 2008
I COULD HAVE WISH TO COMMENT MORE ON THIS ISSUE BUT WHATEVER WIIL TAKE A MAN TO BELIEVE IN ANY WORD OF GOD IS FAITH. IT IS A SUREST ANAWER TO MOST ISSUES PEOPLE DONT WANT TO BELIEVE

AS FOR THERATIONA;[s][/s] ALLYOU NEED IS FAITH IN YOUR LIFE

FAITH IS EVDENCE OF THINGS NOT SEEN,

I CORDIALLY INVITE ALL OF YOU TO THIS RETREAT, YOU CAN ASK THE NEAREST DEEPER LIFE CLOSEST TO YOU

Re: Jesus Genealogy by mazaje(m): 6:44pm On Dec 09, 2008
davidylan:

I look forward to the day you people will come up with something more valid than wikipedia entries.
Scholars have thrashed this out and we already know which of the genealogies belong to Joseph and which is Mary's.

which scholars? you?. . . . who already knows about the genealogies? you?. . . . keep on grasping at straws. . .
Re: Jesus Genealogy by Bastage: 7:00pm On Dec 09, 2008
Which scholars?

Try the majority of those who are considered educated in the World of Sanity.

If you check the Wikipedia page instead of just inanely blathering about it, you'll see endorsements by such luminaries as Howard.W.Clarke - Professor Emiritus of The University of California. Or what about Graham Stanton - Lady Margaret's Professor of Divinity at Cambridge University?

Grasping at straws? One for Joseph and one for Mary? Even though logically it either proves that the Bible contains utter irrelevancies or that Jesus had webbed toes because he was one interbred freak? Yeah. I'll lend you the straws when I've finished with them. After all - you need them way more.
Re: Jesus Genealogy by mazaje(m): 8:09pm On Dec 09, 2008
Bastage:

Which scholars?

Try the majority of those who are considered educated in the World of Sanity.

If you check the Wikipedia page instead of just inanely blathering about it, you'll see endorsements by such luminaries as Howard.W.Clarke - Professor Emiritus of The University of California. Or what about Graham Stanton - Lady Margaret's Professor of Divinity at Cambridge University?

Grasping at straws? One for Joseph and one for Mary? Even though logically it either proves that the Bible contains utter irrelevancies or that Jesus had webbed toes because he was one interbred freak? Yeah. I'll lend you the straws when I've finished with them. After all - you need them way more.

cheesy cheesy :Dheybastage learn to read. . . the previous post was directed at davidylan not you. . . .he made so senseless assertions as usual and i decided to mock him. . .
Re: Jesus Genealogy by Bastage: 8:44pm On Dec 09, 2008
Sorry dude. cool grin
Re: Jesus Genealogy by Nobody: 9:00pm On Dec 09, 2008
Bastage:

If the two trees belonged to Mary and Joseph (which they don't), Jesus Christ would be nothing more than the result of interbreeding.

Oh hang on. God was his father. That means that Joseph's tree is totally and utterly irrelevant. Nice of the Bible's authors to include something in a "the Book of Truth" that isn't worth a crap then, isn't it?

the funny thing about delusional people like you is your constant need to force the bible to reason like you.
Perhaps to YOU the genealogy of Joseph isnt worth crap but Matthew thought otherwise and included it . . .

Bastage:

Wikipedia? grin cheesy
These people must be out of their minds . . . when did wikipedia become a reliable source of historical information?

So if i go and put up a wikipedia entry on how stupid the bible is, it will become holy grail to you?
Re: Jesus Genealogy by Bastage: 10:13pm On Dec 09, 2008
So if i go and put up a wikipedia entry on how stupid the bible is, it will become holy grail to you?

So if Wikipedia has a page on the General Theory of Relativaty and a link to Einstien, we can treat it as trash then can we?

I'd put way more faith into Wikipedia than I would The Bible. At least the former is generally updated and corrected when errors are noted.
Re: Jesus Genealogy by mazaje(m): 10:30pm On Dec 09, 2008
Bastage:

So if Wikipedia has a page on the General Theory of Relativaty and a link to Einstien, we can treat it as trash then can we?

I'd put way more faith into Wikipedia than I would The Bible. At least the former is generally updated and corrected when errors are noted.

the bible too has been corrected when errors were noted. . . . some of the errors could not be corrected or updated because it will turn the bible into the joke that it really is. . . .
Re: Jesus Genealogy by mantraa: 1:11pm On Dec 10, 2008
The bible is no joke!

As you will see from the link below:

http://www.evilbible.com/

Open your eyes, use your brain, think rationally and free yourselves from the slavery of faith. shocked

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Meaning Of The Original Gospel Of Being Bornagain / Can Bible Gurus Help Answer These Questions? / An Urgent Message From The Lord Jesus: “i Am Coming!” (part Ix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.