Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer (3852 Views)

Despite Risk Of Skin Cancer, Others, Tokunbo Goods Reign Supreme / Skin Cancer For Celebrities / The Risk Of Contacting HIV Through Clippers (Barbing) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by webaplanet(m): 10:27am On Nov 24, 2012
Smoking doubles risk of skin cancer

Published: Wednesday | November 14, 2012 0 Comments

It is well known that cigarette smoking affects the health of individuals by increasing the risk of life-threatening diseases like cancer, lung and heart disease. There are many other harmful effects of cigarette smoking, including damage to the body's largest organ, the skin.

The addictive nature of smoking can make it difficult for individuals to quit, even though they are aware of links to diseases like cancer. Some individuals believe it would not happen to them. However, when some smokers can actually see the harmful effects of smoking on their skin, it can help encourage them to quit.

Premature ageing

Cigarette smoking has been shown scientifically to double the risk of developing squamous cell carcinoma, which is a type of skin cancer. Cigarette smoking is also a major cause of premature ageing. We all undergo natural ageing as we get older. However, in addition to this, some people age faster than others and develop premature ageing as a result of their lifestyle and the environment.

Sunlight is the most common cause of premature ageing; however cigarette smoking has been shown by some studies to result in even more premature ageing than sunlight.

The more one smokes, the greater the risk. In fact, one study showed that smoking more than 20 cigarettes a day can age the skin by almost 10 years! Women also seem to be at greater risk than men. Some of the manifestations of a 'smoker's face' include increased facial wrinkling, an ashy grey or reddish orange appearance (more so in fairer individuals), puffiness and gauntness. The skin can also develop coarseness, dryness, uneven skin complexion and dilated blood vessels.

Skin wrinkling

Even though the relationship between smoking and skin wrinkling was shown from 1856, the exact mechanisms by which smoking causes ageing are not fully understood. It is believed that smoking reduces the amount and quality of collagen and elastic fibres, which the skin needs to maintain firmness and elasticity. It causes a narrowing of blood vessels in the skin, reducing the blood supply to these vital fibres.

The smoke itself can also have a toxic effect on skin cells and the heat can directly burn the skin. In addition, smoking reduces the levels of vitamin A in the skin and leads to dryness of the skin.

Smoking also slows down the skin's ability to heal itself after skin injury and surgery. It can affect the healing of leg ulcers, and skin grafts. The risk of certain viral infections is also greater in smokers. For example, it increases the risk of genital warts and of cancers like cervical cancer and penile cancer developing from those warts. Smoking also increases the risk of getting skin conditions like psoriasis, diseases of blood vessels in the skin, skin lupus, hidradentis suppurativa, and oral diseases.

Smokers can consult their doctors and other health-care workers for more information about quitting smoking. Dermatologists can also help treat the skin conditions caused by smoking. However, as the saying goes, 'prevention is better than cure'.

Dr Arusha Campbell-Chambers is a dermatologist and founder of Dermatology Solutions Skin Clinics & Medi-Spas; email: yourhealth@gleanerjm.com.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20121114/health/health1.html

For more human interest stories visit the blog http://

1 Like

Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by Nobody: 12:25pm On Nov 24, 2012
HUH ? FOR WHITE PEOPLE RIGHT ?
Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by babarazy: 12:26pm On Nov 24, 2012
wat of kukuye?
Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by k2039: 12:38pm On Nov 24, 2012
Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by Nobody: 12:40pm On Nov 24, 2012
igbooh nko.......igbooo too sweet
Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by Nobody: 12:45pm On Nov 24, 2012
Fvck a skin cancer - we're celebrating!!!

West side.. west side....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXBrIuAQruI
Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by greatgod2012(f): 1:12pm On Nov 24, 2012
Skin cancer ke, for primary smokers or for secondary smokers?

Btw,

the federal government warns that "smokers are liable to die young"
Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by k2039: 1:17pm On Nov 24, 2012
greatgod2012:
the federal government warns that "smokers are liable to die young"
Actualy it's not the goverment,the company who made it wrote it on the pack
Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by Nobody: 1:19pm On Nov 24, 2012
Smoking is bad

1 Like

Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by Francheezy(m): 1:37pm On Nov 24, 2012
p0t#
Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by Nobody: 1:42pm On Nov 24, 2012
all these media propaganda against smoking can only make sense to me when non-smokers become immortal. mtcheeew!!

7 Likes

Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by buchibabe: 1:45pm On Nov 24, 2012
To all d mobile chimneys,a word is enuf for d wise!!
Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by ektbear: 1:53pm On Nov 24, 2012
Smoking is absolutely disgusting.
Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by Captain2012(m): 1:58pm On Nov 24, 2012
Smokers are liable to die young only if u smoke the pack that it was written on also. They no write am for the cigarette or Indian hemp na..
Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by pecopeco: 2:12pm On Nov 24, 2012
tell them ooo

Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by kollybay4u: 2:14pm On Nov 24, 2012
991: all these media propaganda against smoking can only make sense to me when non-smokers become immortal. mtcheeew!!
Where did u stand btw the two smoker or non smoker, because ur statement tell us that u ar a smoker. I dnt c anybody in history that become immortal.

1 Like

Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by NoQualms1(f): 2:33pm On Nov 24, 2012
I pray they listen.
Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by Nobody: 2:44pm On Nov 24, 2012
Started smoking since 1988 in secondary school, Married and blessed with 4 lovely children , getting healthly old now, still puffing my Marlboro lights. it's My life and not The federal ministry of health's.

3 Likes

Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by claremont(m): 2:46pm On Nov 24, 2012
991: all these media propaganda against smoking can only make sense to me when non-smokers become immortal. mtcheeew!!
Exactly!

1 Like

Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by Nobody: 2:54pm On Nov 24, 2012
Our problem in Africa is not smoking, it is poverty, unemployment , bad government, etc.

2 Likes

Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by iamswizz(m): 3:18pm On Nov 24, 2012
This lad doesnt seem to care

Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by larrymoore(m): 4:46pm On Nov 24, 2012
Dr. Joe:
Started smoking since 1988 in secondary school, Married and blessed with 4 lovely children , getting healthly old now, still puffing my Marlboro lights. it's My life and not The federal ministry of health's.
their concern should be social amenity nt wat l eat, f**k d FG

1 Like

Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by salolo(m): 5:42pm On Nov 24, 2012
true
Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by cold(m): 6:21pm On Nov 24, 2012
Everybody dies eventually.Not a question of if but when

1 Like

Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by webaplanet(m): 7:04pm On Nov 24, 2012
K2039 Greetings, I like your post. we are already in the future. Smokers are likely to do it young
Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by webaplanet(m): 7:05pm On Nov 24, 2012
Greetings to k2039, I like your post. we are already in the future. Smokers are likely to do it young
Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by Tonal: 7:15pm On Nov 24, 2012
I dnt knw wat make some foolish one smokes cigratte.it s clearly writen on d pack dat,smokers are liable 2 die young......that shwn cigratte s vigorous 2 some1 health.
Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by Nobody: 8:52pm On Nov 24, 2012
Tonal: I dnt knw wat make some foolish one smokes cigratte.it s clearly writen on d pack dat,smokers are liable 2 die young......that shwn cigratte s vigorous 2 some1 health.

i think now you should be more concerned about your studies for the upcoming common-entrance exams, concentrate more on English language!

1 Like

Re: Smoking Doubles Risk Of Skin Cancer by slimyem: 12:59pm On Nov 25, 2012
A reasonable percentage of smokers know this already....
They just do not care!!!

(1) (Reply)

How To Know If You Have A Loose Vagina, + Remedies / Doctors In The House, Help Me. / UDUTH Inaugurates New Anti-corruption, Transparency Unit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.