Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,771 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:14 PM

Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma (9820 Views)

Chicken Pecks Buyer To Coma In Asaba / Lagos Doctor Dies After Attending To Patient (photo) / 10 Unbelievable Coma Stories (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by kfako1: 6:03pm On Nov 24, 2012

[img]http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/121123-edwarda-obara-jsw-miami-herald-02-415p.380;380;7;70;0.jpg[/img]

A woman who lived in a coma for 42 years, meticulously cared for by her family, died Wednesday in her home in Miami Gardens, Fla., the Miami Herald reported.

Edwarda O’Bara was a 16-year-old high school student in 1970 when she became sick from her diabetes medication and slipped into a diabetic coma.
According to the Herald, just before she lost consciousness, Edwarda asked her mother, Kaye O’Bara, to never leave her side, and her family never did.
Edwarda’s father, Joe O’Bara, and Kaye took care of their daughter — reading to her, playing her music, making sure she was turned every two hours, bathed, given insulin and given nourishment through a feeding tube — until their deaths in 1976 and 2008, respectively. After that, Edwarda’s sister Colleen O’Bara took over.

The family’s story inspired the 2001 book, "A Promise Is A Promise: An Almost Unbelievable Story of a Mother’s Unconditional Love and What It Can Teach Us" and a song called "My Blessed Child," and it prompted people from around the world to travel to her Florida home.
"She taught me so much, and I’m talking about now, after she was in the coma," Colleen O’Bara told the Herald. "She taught me so much about unconditional love that I couldn’t say I had it before. She taught me about patience that I didn’t have before."

In an announcement of Edwarda's death posted Thursday on a website dedicated to her, Colleen O'Bara wrote: "Yesterday while taking care of Edwarda I noticed her looking directly at me and gave me the biggest smile I had ever seen. She then closed her eyes and joined my Mom in Heaven."

Edwarda O’Bara was 59. A memorial is scheduled for Tuesday.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/23/15393892-florida-woman-edwarda-obara-dies-after-42-years-in-coma?lite
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by kfako1: 6:20pm On Nov 24, 2012
I think everyone should have a Living Will. It gives instructions on how you want to die or not die if you are in a lengthy coma or in a vegetative condition. Many people don't wish to inconvenience anyone for 40 years as in this woman's care nor even for 40 days if it is determined they will never recover from a vegetative condition and although she was not brain dead, she was in a vegetative condition.

This girl's family took care of her in a loving manner, those were their wishes, however, she might have wished they had just let her die a natural death rather than allowing her to lie in bed with a feeding inserted in her abdomin through which liquid nutrients flowed into her for 40 years.

1 Like

Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by Nobody: 6:42pm On Nov 24, 2012
promise is a promise... i am deeply touched

3 Likes

Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by slimyem: 10:34pm On Nov 24, 2012
42 years??
Wow!!
The kinda hope this family had eh...
Na wa!!
IMO though,she died in 1970 at 16!!!

1 Like

Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by Kobojunkie: 12:17am On Nov 25, 2012
She held on for 42 years? WOW . . she really didn't want to let go, now did she?
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by EfemenaXY: 12:30am On Nov 25, 2012
This is such a touching story. cry cry

Bless her, and bless her family. May she rest in peace now.
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by Afam4eva(m): 12:35am On Nov 25, 2012
Can we have a picture of her pre-coma and just before she died.

If this happened in Nigeria, they would have given up on her long long time ago.

1 Like

Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by KayDee4: 2:55am On Nov 25, 2012
42 years shocked shocked

and I thought Ariel Sharon had stayed too long @ 6 years + .
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by greenoak: 3:02am On Nov 25, 2012
Touching very touching
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by bigpastor(m): 3:02am On Nov 25, 2012
That's gr8!
They kept the PROMISE!
I PLEDGE/PROMISE too Nigeria my country
To be fai... .....& hone.......
How I wish Nigerians and her leaders in particular will learn from this.
To sacrifice such level of hope and care for this our morbidly surviving entity 'NIGERIA'
Naija go better
Me I don learn gr8 lessons from this story.
ESP not to be a covenant-breaker.
What about you?

1 Like

Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by Nobody: 3:13am On Nov 25, 2012
k.fako:
I think everyone should have a Living Will. It gives instructions on how you want to die or not die if you are in a lengthy coma or in a vegetative condition. Many people don't wish to inconvenience anyone for 40 years as in this woman's care nor even for 40 days if it is determined they will never recover from a vegetative condition and although she was not brain dead, she was in a vegetative condition.

This girl's family took care of her in a loving manner, those were their wishes, however, she might have wished they had just let her die a natural death rather than allowing her to lie in bed with a feeding inserted in her abdomin through which liquid nutrients flowed into her for 40 years.

Do you know of any 16 year old that has a will? Most people dont think of that until they are older, have children, etc.
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by Areaboy2(m): 3:30am On Nov 25, 2012
slimyem: 42 years??
Wow!!
The kinda hope this family had eh...
Na wa!!
IMO though,she died in 1970 at 16!!!

I kinda agree, but with quotes like... "Yesterday while taking care of Edwarda I noticed her looking directly at me and gave me the biggest smile I had ever seen. She then closed her eyes and joined my Mom in Heaven."

Makes me wonder. What am I missing here? I thought people in coma don't smile? or are they delusional?? No disrespect intended
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by Nobody: 3:32am On Nov 25, 2012
sorry,
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by speeder(m): 4:12am On Nov 25, 2012
*walks into thread*, *reads the post*, *instead of peeing on it, i gave honour to it*. Nice family
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by UyiIredia(m): 4:19am On Nov 25, 2012
The family tried for her.
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by mamagee3(f): 4:58am On Nov 25, 2012
Wow!!!

What a weird story, I wonder how it felt to just be like that for 42 years
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by dyabman(m): 5:09am On Nov 25, 2012
So she never heard Michael jackson's thriller album cool
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by optimistD(m): 6:09am On Nov 25, 2012
afam4eva: Can we have a picture of her pre-coma and just before she died.

If this happened in Nigeria, they would have given up on her long long time ago.
you are sick you no. You lack self esteem. U believe you are inferior to whites. Work on Your self man.
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by nagoma(m): 6:37am On Nov 25, 2012
afam4eva:

This is not true , I know a Nigerian family family that did this for 40years. Although the person cared for was not in coma , he needed care on hourly basis and could not even sit on bedpan so had to be washed in bed regularly. The caring mother died after 36 years and relatives continued for another 4 years.

1 Like

Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by puskin: 7:45am On Nov 25, 2012
mama-gee:
Wow!!!

What a weird story, I wonder how it felt to just be like that for 42 years

Try slipping into a coma.......then U'll know how.
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by nedu2000(m): 8:00am On Nov 25, 2012
Really touching
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by Ariyke: 8:04am On Nov 25, 2012
afam4eva: Can we have a picture of her pre-coma and just before she died.

Nigeria ke u funny sha, she wont av lasted a year
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by OgidiOlu3(m): 8:23am On Nov 25, 2012
42 yrs? shocked . Didn't she age physically?
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by yuzedo: 8:46am On Nov 25, 2012
This woman has been dead for 40yrs abeg. See stress na? Shuu?! undecided

Well, the family deserves all the praise and respect, they were the strong, honorable and loving ones.. Not the person in coma.

I wouldn't want to inconvenience my family for more than a year. If I am a vegetable, there's no need slowing down others, seeing as even I am cannot live my life to the full. Abi dem just wan enter Guinness book of Records?

1 Like

Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by Nobody: 9:28am On Nov 25, 2012
Sleeping Beauty.

This sort of reminds me of a similar case in Nigeria - a Man this time though(and the danger was averted).

Now, I didn't mention anyone's name. lipsrsealed
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by crisycent: 9:40am On Nov 25, 2012
[b]One thing i learned from this story when i first read it on yahoo is the poor state of our healthcare facility in Nigeria. Two weeks ago, i rushed my aunty(who sadly passed last week) to the emergency ward of UBTH and it was like a war zone, you will think Nigeria is at war. No bed, crowded wards and so on....plus i don't blame the doctors/nurses, they are fully stretched and no one can work under such conditions.

While i was at UBTH, the nurse was shouting to get the attention of someone that paid to use the CT scan and when i heard how much the person paid for the scan, i was sad!!!! If a federal government hospital could charge 50,0000 naira for just one scan of the head, then the poor will continue to die in this country......imagine this woman that died that has spent 42 years in coma, if that were nigeria, how much medical bill would the family have to pay

I am not asking the govt. for too much, they can steal all they want but can they just put some basic amenities in place for the poor? Food or thought.......[/b]

4 Likes

Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by ChiSun27(m): 9:46am On Nov 25, 2012
HQ: Sleeping Beauty.

This sort of reminds me of a similar case in Nigeria - a Man this time though(and the danger was averted).

Now, I didn't mention anyone's name. lipsrsealed

u 4 complete nah...as u no de fear...u funny sha.
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by ChiSun27(m): 9:48am On Nov 25, 2012
d family tried alot....but d punishment 2 loonnnnnngggg nah....but thank God sey na abroad....cus if na 9ja....de 4 run out of resources.
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by Dextra(f): 10:11am On Nov 25, 2012
This story brought tears to my eyes. So much love and commitment. Do you know what caring for this woman will have cost the family? not in terms of finance but physically, they basically wouldn't have a life of their own. I will like to meet the sister and ask her how she did it because I know from experience it is not easy caring for unconscious patients.
It also made me think of all those patients who go into irreversible brain damage after cardiac arrest, how we ask the families to give permission to pull them off the ventilator (life support), although I always wish they'll wake up before the ventilator is switched off but they never did. This is a story of LOVE. I knew how hectic it was for me when I took care of a patient with brain cancer, how impatient I grew sometimes though I knew it wasn't her fault that she had to scream at the top of her voice in the middle of the night (every night and day) and keep the neighbours awake. When she finally passed on, I was relieved, not from caring for her but from the fact that she won't feel the pains anymore. Having to care for 42 years! This is the epitome of Care! I pray God bless me with such.

3 Likes

Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by dnawah(m): 10:31am On Nov 25, 2012
This family no want carry God's name high?them no belive in miracle?abi them never hear of T.B Joshua b4?
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by xcalzy(m): 10:31am On Nov 25, 2012
Dextra: This story brought tears to my eyes. So much love and commitment. Do you know what caring for this woman will have cost the family? not in terms of finance but physically, they basically wouldn't have a life of their own. I will like to meet the sister and ask her how she did it because I know from experience it is not easy caring for unconscious patients.
It also made me think of all those patients who go into irreversible brain damage after cardiac arrest, how we ask the families to give permission to pull them off the ventilator (life support), although I always wish they'll wake up before the ventilator is switched off but they never did. This is a story of LOVE. I knew how hectic it was for me when I took care of a patient with brain cancer, how impatient I grew sometimes though I knew it wasn't her fault that she had to scream at the top of her voice in the middle of the night (every night and day) and keep the neighbours awake. When she finally passed on, I was relieved, not from caring for her but from the fact that she won't feel the pains anymore. Having to care for 42 years! This is the epitome of Care! I pray God bless me with such.
Lovely comment. Love ur signature too. D "I live for today ONLY". God bless! :-)
Re: Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma by Dextra(f): 10:40am On Nov 25, 2012
xcalzy: Lovely comment. Love ur signature too. D "I live for today ONLY". God bless! :-)
Thank you. I have seen so much in life that I know it is better not to worry about tomorrow. lol!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For November 9 2020 In Nigeria / Monkeypox: FG Suspends Importation Of Wild Animals, Sales Of Bush Meat / Prices Of Drugs Skyrocket As Nigerians Face Harder Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.