Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,157 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:19 AM

Who Is A Christian? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Is A Christian? (950 Views)

10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell / Is It Right for a Christian to Expose False Prophets and False Teaching ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is A Christian? by PastorKun(m): 8:38am On Nov 27, 2012
WHO IS A CHRISTIAN?

Are they one who say they have been born again? NO
Are they one who go to church at least once or twice every week? NO
Are they one who speak in tongues? NO
Are they one who belong to an "established" denomination or a mega church? NO
Are they one who is very skilled at quoting biblical scriptures? NO
Are they one who mentions the name of Jesus at every given opportunity? NO
Are they one who write or talk about Jesus Christ on Facebook & twitter everyday? NO
Are they one who take an oath in court holding the bible? NO
Are they one who tells everyone that they are Christian? NO

Then, who is a Christian?

Being a Christian is not a title of tag one receives at conversion or through public confession (though that seems to be the norm nowadays), rather it is lifestyle of representing Christ in thoughts, words and deeds daily.

Being a Christian is not about what you say you are, but who the people around you see that you are or have become.

Being a Christian is not about your 'spiritual gifts and knowledge', but about your spiritual character of holiness, peace, love and faith.

Being a Christian is not an instant occurrence, but a transformation over time into resembling Jesus Christ, by learning Christ and doing His Will.

Christian is not title, it is something you become or someone you resemble and imitate through dogged apprenticeship and growth.

Acts 4:13
Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.

Acts 11:26
And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

Philippians 3:17-19
Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. 18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: 19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)

Ephesians 5:1-11
Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; 2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; 4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks. 5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. 7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them. 8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light: 9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truthwink 10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord. 11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

Ephesians 4:14-24
That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; 15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ...17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind, 18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart: 19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.
20 But ye have not so learned Christ; 21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus: 22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; 23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; 24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is A Christian? by okeyxyz(m): 9:08am On Nov 27, 2012
A christian is somebody who believes in his heart and confesses that Jesus Christ is the only son(Only true way) of God. Simple.

There's no need for all the complexities you outline above. The question is: "Who is a christian", not "who is a good\perfect christian".

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Christian? by PastorKun(m): 10:22am On Nov 27, 2012
okeyxyz: A christian is somebody who believes in his heart and confesses that Jesus Christ is the only son(Only true way) of God. Simple.

There's no need for all the complexities you outline above. The question is: "Who is a christian", not "who is a good\perfect christian".

It is not enough to just believe in your heart, you have to be a doer of the word not just a believer. Christ's life and teachings must be manifest in your life. You cannot claim to be a true believer if you don't follow the teachings of christ. For instance Jesus christ made it clear that his greatest commandment is to love your neighbour as yourself. How many professing christians abide by this most important commandment Yet you see them keeping vain requirements of the Law like tithing that Jesus never asked of us and was even described as the less important aspect of the law. So my question is; who exactly do these believers believe in? If they are not keeping Jesus commandments.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by PastorKun(m): 11:16am On Mar 12, 2013
Still waiting for answers to my simple question.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by PastorOluT(m): 1:39pm On Mar 12, 2013
Pastor Kun: Still waiting for answers to my simple question.
A xtian is one who have accepted Jesus as his personal Lord n savior n living with dat consciousness daily.
sir we have 2 understand something about xtianity so dat we dont put unneccessary burden on ourselves, xtianity is all about growth. when we gave our lives 2 christ we know nothing about d live we receive, so we grow in dat new life. we grow in grace n knowledge of our lord Jesus christ daily, bt as we grow we all make mistake 4 we r all @ diff level.
My advice 2 every xtian is 2 b conscious n grow daily, grow by spending quality time daily in His presence 2 pray n read d bible, as we do dis we become like christ daily.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Christian? by Goshen360(m): 2:25pm On Mar 12, 2013
Everyone, that has contributed so far are right in some sense including the OP. Let's put it together from here,

New Living Translation (©2007)
When he found him, he brought him back to Antioch. Both of them stayed there with the church for a full year, teaching large crowds of people. (It was at Antioch that the believers were first called Christians.) Acts 11:26.

Extract:

1. Who are the believers? They are people like you and I
2. What do they believe in? In Christ; hence the name CHRISTians....that is, followers of Christ.
3. What are Christians? Those who portray and act CHRIST-like in everything they do.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is A Christian? by ijawkid(m): 2:45pm On Mar 12, 2013
A christian simply put is one who follows the footsteps of Christ.......replicating how our master(Jesus) acted and also ruminating on his teachings is what makes one a chrsitian........chikena......
Re: Who Is A Christian? by PastorOluT(m): 2:56pm On Mar 12, 2013
Yes rightly said, bt we must always learn 2 differentiate living 4 christ n being saved. we dont live right in order 2 b saved bt rather we r saved which is why we live right. N living right is not done by us bt by d spirit given 2 us, dont get me wrong i'm always of d opinion dat xtians should live right, bt we must never mix it, 4 we r saved by grace thru faith.
In conclusion, if u r genuinely saved then d life of christ 'll truly b evident in u.
God bless.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Christian? by PastorKun(m): 4:00pm On Mar 12, 2013
In summary a christian is someone who has accepted Christ as his personal lord and saviour who obeys his commandments and is living a christlike life.

Unfortunately today most christians are just believers they don't obey christ's commandments(which is love for all) and live a christ like life. A true christian must also bear the fruits of the spirit as summarised in Galatians 5:22-23

Galatians 5:22
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 meekness, self- control; against such there is no law.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by Goshen360(m): 4:05pm On Mar 12, 2013
^ I believe that's where or what Pastor Olu T was talking about 'growing' comes in - That is, bearing fruit of the Spirit.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by PastorKun(m): 4:42pm On Mar 12, 2013
Goshen360: ^ I believe that's where or what Pastor Olu T was talking about 'growing' comes in - That is, bearing fruit of the Spirit.

The fruits of the spirit, do you think it is acquired through christian growth or it is a gift of the holy spirit.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by sylve11: 5:24pm On Mar 12, 2013
@ Pastor Kun, i'd love to answer ur question, but i don't know who a christian is (by the dictionary definition sha o). but will u help me to answer this? the offerings and tithes that pro.stitutes do pay, are they acceptable unto God? cool
Re: Who Is A Christian? by benodic: 5:36pm On Mar 12, 2013
i love what i am seeing in this thread. Christians finally trying to redefine themselves and what they truly stand for. i still long for the day that will come when Christians will truly live Christ-like lives instead of wasting their time preaching what they do not practice.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is A Christian? by PastorKun(m): 5:50pm On Mar 12, 2013
sylve11: @ Pastor Kun, i'd love to answer ur question, but i don't know who a christian is (by the dictionary definition sha o). but will u help me to answer this? the offerings and tithes that pro.stitutes do pay, are they acceptable unto God? cool

Christianity is not defined by tithes and offerings and your post is off topic. There enough tithes and offering threads on NL for you to ask your silly question.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by PastorOluT(m): 10:12pm On Mar 12, 2013
Pastor Kun:

The fruits of the spirit, do you think it is acquired through christian growth or it is a gift of the holy spirit.
Sir, d fruit of d spirit is not d same as d gift of d Holy spirit, pls read 1 cor 12. when u accept Jesus d fruit of d spirit is given, bt its in a seed form, as we grow in christ it manifest in us 4 all 2 see. Fruits are produced as a result of who we r, i quite agree with ur line of thought though, bt just trying shed more light 2 it so dat xtianity would not b burdensome as some see it, especially baby xtian.
God bless u
Re: Who Is A Christian? by PastorKun(m): 10:32pm On Mar 12, 2013
Pastor Olu T:
Sir, d fruit of d spirit is not d same as d gift of d Holy spirit, pls read 1 cor 12. when u accept Jesus d fruit of d spirit is given, bt its in a seed form, as we grow in christ it manifest in us 4 all 2 see. Fruits are produced as a result of who we r, i quite agree with ur line of thought though, bt just trying shed more light 2 it so dat xtianity would not b burdensome as some see it, especially baby xtian.
God bless u

Thanx for the response bro and I quite agree with your line of thought. However the reason I decided to ask the question is becos a lot of our christian leaders today don't seem to have this fruit of the spirit. There is obviously something amiss.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by PastorOluT(m): 10:49pm On Mar 12, 2013
[quote

author=Pastor Kun]

Thanx for the response bro and I quite agree with your line of thought.
However the reason I decided to ask the question is becos a lot of our
christian leaders today don't seem to have this fruit of the spirit.
There is obviously something amiss. [/quote]

U r very right, xtianity has been so abused by our xtian leaders dat no
one take us serious any more. My prayer is dat there will b judgment in d
body n d truth 'll b exalted more, bt truly u n i have much 2 do in dat
area
Re: Who Is A Christian? by FlyinSaucer: 12:01am On Mar 13, 2013
My neighbour!
Re: Who Is A Christian? by Nobody: 8:47am On Mar 13, 2013
@op, you appear to be implying that one does not become a Christian at any particular point but sort of graduates through certain behaviors and disciplines into christianity. Is this indeed what you are saying?

Are you also equating good behavior or socially acceptable behavior to Christianity?
Re: Who Is A Christian? by sylve11: 10:14am On Mar 13, 2013
Pastor Kun:

Christianity is not defined by tithes and offerings and your post is off topic. There enough tithes and offering threads on NL for you to ask your silly question.

Bros abeg nor vex na, besides u are asking who is a Christian by calling someone else silly; isn't that the definition for who a christian is? oya come take akara. sad cool
Re: Who Is A Christian? by PastorOluT(m): 5:14pm On Mar 13, 2013
Are you also equating good behavior or socially acceptable behavior to
Christianity?[/quote]

I dont think so, what d op is only trying 2 do is emphasize d need 4 xtians 2 bear christlike fruits n i quite agree with him. when u look @ d world 2day u hardly differentiate a xtian 4m an unbeliever, many 4gets Romans12:2. We need 2 define xtianity more in dis present age, d bible says d world await with earnest expectation 4 d sons of God 2 b revealed Romans 8:19, we truly need 2 manifest n show forth d life of christ in dis dispensation.
Bt d simple definition of a xtian is accepeting Jesus as ur Lord n personal savior.

(1) (Reply)

Is Jesus God:the Quran Evidence / The God Who Sees The Future / How To Destroy Your Destiny Faster..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.