Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,131 members, 7,825,545 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision (14586 Views)

Female Circumcision Is Dangerous To Women's Health; It Should Be Scrapped. / Man Files N500m Suit Against Lagos Based Indian Doctor Over Botched Delivery / The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by Yames70(m): 11:21pm On Nov 28, 2012
code_0:

Leave that poor boy alone pls. Aboki where dey carry am like that no be human being? Them no dey put woman belle?
guy dat thing(foreskin)dey very sensitive nd dats d major reason for circumcission.cm 2 d north nd see guys with foreskin intact,dey nor dey settle every minute dia underwear dey irritate d foreskin nd making dem Hot unnecessarily,nd dats why d rape cases re high among d uncircumcised.another disadvantage is d high rate of penile cancer among d uncircumcised,nd dey present late giving us no other option dan penile amputation.so circumcision is vital but do it at recognized centers.
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by Goldieluks: 11:22pm On Nov 28, 2012
BUSH MAN: honestly i dont intend to cut corners i will pay whatever money it takes, but after this sad story i am not comfortable doing it anymore plus his mother is treathning to take him away from me if i persist on doing it,i know its our beleive but its the beleive worth the risk?

No need to be scared or negative about it.
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by Nobody: 11:24pm On Nov 28, 2012
BUSH MAN: this is exactly what his mother said

Because she has brains and she uses them. Please, unless his foreskin is causing an immediate problem and the ONLY fix is circumcision then leave it alone.
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by phyl123: 11:26pm On Nov 28, 2012
centje: every endeavour in this life is a risk. Even life itself is a risk. Your wife had to pass to near death to give birth to the same baby,them are all risky. Please don'k 'chicken out' 'cause of this singular incident. If you read the previous posts you undertand that its possible this kid has an illness possibly a bleeding disorder. The precaution you should undertake is to be sure your kid doesnt have such before going for the circumcision. So please go ahead with what you believe in.

This child has two parents, i think both of them have got to agree on this issue, if bushmans goes ahead, he could loose his marriage, son and even go to jail so it is not worth the risk.
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by BUSHMAN1: 11:34pm On Nov 28, 2012
centje: every endeavour in this life is a risk. Even life itself is a risk. Your wife had to pass to near death to give birth to the same baby,they are all risky. Please don'k 'chicken out' 'cause of this singular incident. If you read the previous posts you undertand that its possible this kid has an illness possibly a bleeding disorder. The precaution you should undertake is to be sure your kid doesnt have such before going for the circumcision. So please go ahead with what you believe in.
lol.. nothing to do with "chikening out" though he did have a blood transfusion,and something the doctors called antibodis though he doesn`t have anymore of this things but all this is playing on my mind, and his mother is still recovering from the c section, so all this is getting in the way..
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by Nobody: 11:36pm On Nov 28, 2012
phyl123:

This child has two parents, i think both of them have got to agree on this issue, if bushmans goes ahead, he could loose his marriage, son and even go to jail so it is not worth the risk.
you know women get scared easily...maybe he could convince her.
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by BUSHMAN1: 11:40pm On Nov 28, 2012
centje: you know women get scared easily...maybe he could convince her.
yes she is scared every time i bring up the conversation about circumcision we end up arguing
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by phyl123: 11:45pm On Nov 28, 2012
centje: you know women get scared easily...maybe he could convince her.

@ centje bushman has just given us even more worrying information, if i were to be in his shoes and my son had a blood transfusion, i would not circumcise him even if there was a 0.00001% risk. It is our duty as parents to protect our kids, i told him to go ahead with it earlier because i didnt know the circumstances surrounding the birth of his son. Now i know i would not advice him to. So I'm on the side of his wife a 100%
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by Nobody: 11:51pm On Nov 28, 2012
Phyl123,
It depends on what necessitated the blood transfusion. Its left for the medical doctor to decide whether the kid needs circumcision now or later in life.
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by JallowBah(f): 12:30am On Nov 29, 2012
Bushman..if you go and get your boy cut without a yes from your wife, she can actually take you to court on it.
It is something that both parents need to agree on, and it is such a big thing, that if you both DO NOT agree on it, then leave it.
Let the boy decide later on.

On another note..a little boy died on Norway as well, not long ago. This was due to infections.
They don`t cut boys in the hospitals here. There are doctors who do so outside the office, but most of the cutters here are muslim men, who do it in a livingroom at home.
The boy got infections, and died.

Please..go to a hospital and get it done PROPERLY.
Yes, the parents should have headed for the hospital, in both cases here. But still..go to a doctor, with a license, and do it properly.
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by Goldieluks: 12:44am On Nov 29, 2012
centje: Phyl123,
It depends on what necessitated the blood transfusion. Its left for the medical doctor to decide whether the kid needs circumcision now or later in life.
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by ciphoenix: 12:47am On Nov 29, 2012
ACM10:
You are right Centje. But, how can you explain "bleeding to death"? Even if there was an amputation of the penile head; the child would still have survived.
I think that blood clotting disorder should be fing.ered as the possible cause. If we probe further, we might get a history of bleeding disorder in the family.
the pathologists should confirm
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by ciphoenix: 12:53am On Nov 29, 2012
toluene12:
circumcision is a surgical procedure and whatever method used, the foreskin is excised. Since the male organ is innervated, removing the foreskin is painful. For adults the procedure is performed under general anesthesia, however for neonates topical anaethetic agents may be applied prior to the procedure. But this topical agents normally irritates a neonatal skin, thus its not encouraged. The baby feels the pain and he's irritated for a day or two otherwise he's is okay if properly done.
Non therapeutic circumcision is controversial in western nations and that may explain the difficulty in assessing a health facility to perform the procedure in the U.K.
However, circumcision has its benefits, it prevents UTI, reduces the risk of having STI includng HIV, and cancer of the penis.
penis ca, grin . This nairaland word substitution thing isn't funny at all
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by amor4ce(m): 1:04am On Nov 29, 2012
A certain discussion on this thread is proof that mixing of 'seed' should be discouraged especially if one of the partners looks down on Negro traditions. The Negro man involved probably does not know himself and his ancestors. Anyway, he made the choice and has to bear the repercussions.

1 Like

Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by Daresh(f): 1:16am On Nov 29, 2012
My son was circumcised by a Rabbi in London. No anaesthetic and is was over in a few seconds. He was fussy for about 2 days and I feared it was infected. He was perfectly ok though!
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by lastpage: 1:58am On Nov 29, 2012
Wise-talk:
This is one thing i fear. Doctors and nurses should be extremely careful when dealing with issues relating to life and health. The nurse in question is said to be experienced, having done it over the years. I see carelessness and little mistakes causiog serious problems. These people will never take it likely, especially when they now know that she is a black woman from Nigeria.

White people dont like circumcision.
Its quite revolting when l see a white-male pr.ick with that ugly, drooling skin like that of an ostrich throat! shocked

But as usual, anything "African" must be condemned and tarnished by the Westerners.
Thu, it's no surprise that "Parents" have been harassed (and jailed in certain circumstances), for "circumcision" of their baby.

I subscribe to the idea that whatever we do that is "traditional" , we can "modernize it" using latest technology, equipments and methods .... to reduce infections and fatality.
This is how the Chinese have been able to stay ahead .... in cases like Acupuncture
!

Having said that, this woman is a trained Nurse, she is "experienced" and has done hundred of such procedures, successfully in the past.

WHY did this one go wrong? QUESTIONS! QUESTIONS!!

*As some have pointed out, it could be that the baby was Hemophiliac!
*Should she had known this ab-initio?
*Should she have, as 'standard practice', run some "blood test" on potential babies, before doing the circumcision or at least, have access to the baby's "medical history"?
*Should there not have been some "post-operative monitoring procedure" she should have put in place, after such surgery?
*Why should the procedure not be available widely in PUBLIC HOSPITAL, to prevent people from patronizing "unlicensed / quacks" doing it in non-sterile environments?

Its very unfortunate that this hard working woman, who had done good to humanity (as a Nurse), will end her career and life in such ignominy!
I feel even more sympathy for that innocent baby and his parents.

Lastpage!

****throws away 'seven buckets' of tears*******

@Bushman
: its sad if a man, a husband and a father has to "live in-fear" of his wife ....in such circumstance as yours! You want this thing done for your son, you know it will benefit him now and in future ...but you cant do it because your wife says NO!
Chei, see wetin "man pikin" don turn to! shocked shocked
Take heart Bro. l feel you.

1 Like

Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by Nobody: 5:19am On Nov 29, 2012
Oh NO!! undecided sad cry
RIP little one.
I guess God called him back home. undecided

toluene12: Most likely a case of hemophiliac, a bleeding disorder that affects mainly the male gender. Parents first notice this bleeding problem after circumcision when the bleeding fails to stop despite conventional hemostatic methods.

Could be.
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by babybird82(f): 7:10am On Nov 29, 2012
My son didn't have his foreskin cut, he had a ring attached to his cap and the ring Fell off in like a week or so. He didn't even feel any pain. I was scared too as a first time mother then but when I was told about the ring procedure I opted for that.
I paid only five thousand naira then in 2008 for the procedure.
I am surprised a lot of people are not aware of this ring procedure.
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by Cyberknight: 7:46am On Nov 29, 2012
babybird82: My son didn't have his foreskin cut, he had a ring attached to his cap and the ring Fell off in like a week or so. He didn't even feel any pain. I was scared too as a first time mother then but when I was told about the ring procedure I opted for that.
I paid only five thousand naira then in 2008 for the procedure.
I am surprised a lot of people are not aware of this ring procedure.

So am I. This procedure is simple and painless for the baby, this is how I had my son circumcised a few weeks back. And again, I repeat how surprised I am that people do not know about it because my mother told me that this was how me, my elder brother and my cousins were all circumcised, in LUTH, in the early 70s, so the procedure has been in used for at least about 40 years now. For those who don't know, go and make enquries and please stop subjecting little babies to the old method.
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by enkoby: 8:48am On Nov 29, 2012
Cyberknight:

The foreskin isn't cut away with a knife or other implement, a ring is used to constrict it and it sloughs off. The baby suffers no pain. Very common procedure, so if you have a son, make sure that's how they circumcise him.

My son had the ring circumcision at Reddington Hospital Lagos in April this year. Even with this method, a part of the foreskin is cut off by the doctors. i remember the Pediatrics Surgeon showed me the foreskin that was cut off and asked if i wanted to take it home or if they could discard it for me. . . i couldn't even look at it. i just asked him to discard it himself. my baby didn't even cry anymore than he did b4 the circumcision, i baffed him normally, clothed him normally, there was no heavy bleeding, and the slight bleeding he had stopped that same day.
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by nnedozie22: 9:06am On Nov 29, 2012
code_0:

Without cutting? Can u explain further pls. Possibly get more details from your mum and get back to us.

Circumcision can be done without cutting with the use of "PLASTIC BELL" that is attached to the phimosis which falls off after sometime. There is no risk of bleeding or infection.
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by here: 11:43am On Nov 29, 2012
@centje : I dont know what it's called or the detailed procedure as the baby is taken into the theatre and when the ring is fixed handed over to you,its the practice in most hospitals I know.
Where I think your post is wrong is where you said no pain,there is and slight hike in temp as the baby is not comfortable but this goes away in few days(some babies keep crying even when handed over to their mum).
Also on being given your baby,the usual instruction is "when the ring falls off(which is less than 7days);if you notice bleeding rush to the hospital IMMEDIATELY and give panda to avoid high temp"
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by stangely: 11:45am On Nov 29, 2012
quack nurse, poor baby and ignorant parents embarassed
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by toluene12: 12:10pm On Nov 29, 2012
nnedozie22:

Circumcision can be done without cutting with the use of "PLASTIC BELL" that is attached to the phimosis which falls off after sometime. There is no risk of bleeding or infection.
plastibell is one of the methods used in circumcision and is the commonest method in our modern hospitals. The plastibell ring is tied around the rim of the skin attached to the glans while the remaining part of the foreskin is trimmed off. Its prefarable because the cup like ring (plastibell) protects the glans during the procedure and reduces the use of scissors on the glans.
its not wise to leave the foreskin behind, it carries the risk of being a focus of infection to the boy and what falls off few days later( with the help of the ring) is the remaining skin attached to the glans.
Now as per the pain- since thats the bone of contention- the skin being worked on is still part of the body, thus ring circumcision is a painful procedure. However most patient are given a nerve block or topical anaesthetic agent so they only feel the pain of touch or some mild post op irritability or fever for like 24hrs, otherwise they are okay.
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by Nuelaville: 12:37pm On Nov 29, 2012
chaircover: That is so sad.

the parents should have rushed the baby to the nearest hospital when the bleeding wouldnt stop
Ambulance came late...
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 29, 2012
toluene12:
plastibell is one of the methods used in circumcision and is the commonest method in our modern hospitals. The plastibell ring is tied around the rim of the skin attached to the glans while the remaining part of the foreskin is trimmed off. Its prefarable because the cup like ring (plastibell) protects the glans during the procedure and reduces the use of scissors on the glans.
its not wise to leave the foreskin behind, it carries the risk of being a focus of infection to the boy and what falls off few days later( with the help of the ring) is the remaining skin attached to the glans.
Now as per pain- since thats the bone of contention- the skin being worked is still part of the body, so its a painful procedure, however most patient are given a nerve block or topical anaesthetic agent so they only feel the pain of touch or some mild post op irritability or fever for like 24hrs, otherwise they are okay.

@bushman
This is a good option for you.
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by lastpage: 6:51am On Nov 30, 2012
nnedozie22:

One of my sons also used this method to get circumcised.
The plastic ring actually "strangulates" the foreskin and deprives it of 'blood and nutrients'.... it the end, it dies and falls-off like scab.

Seems safe and hygienic to me..... l think it should be promoted and awareness created on such method.

The "Knife and Cutlass" method seems scary and brutal! grin grin

Lastpage
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by BUSHMAN1: 12:14pm On Nov 30, 2012
so how do i go about getting this method "plastic bell" i am not sure were or how to, since i we live in london can i find this method here in london? anyone knows?
lastpage:

One of my sons also used this method to get circumcised.
The plastic ring actually "strangulates" the foreskin and deprives it of 'blood and nutrients'.... it the end, it dies and falls-off like scab.

Seems safe and hygienic to me..... l think it should be promoted and awareness created on such method.

The "Knife and Cutlass" method seems scary and brutal! grin grin

Lastpage
so how do i go about getting this method "plastic bell" i am not sure were or how to, since i we live in london can i find this method here in london? anyone knows?
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by BUSHMAN1: 12:16pm On Nov 30, 2012
toluene12:
Now as per the pain- since thats the bone of contention- the skin being worked on is still part of the body, thus ring circumcision is a painful procedure. However most patient are given a nerve block or topical anaesthetic agent so they only feel the pain of touch or some mild post op irritability or fever for like 24hrs, otherwise they are okay.
do you know were i can find this method here in london?
Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by Nobody: 10:30pm On Nov 30, 2012
I saw a picture of the nurse
I wonder why anyone would let the woman I saw on that clip touch her infant with a pair of scissors for that matter
she looked like a wicked step mother
A nurse in London looking like a market woman in Iddo Motor park

Re: Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision by alstacs(m): 10:03pm On Dec 01, 2012
nnedozie22:

Blasphemy!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For October 8 2020 In Nigeria - (3,150 Tested) / World Diabetes Day: Experts Recommend Natural Remedies / Large Religious Gathering Spreading Covid - PTF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.