Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,575 members, 7,816,415 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead (13411 Views)

Retired Headmistress Shot Dead In Benin By Teenage Cultist (pic) / More Photos Of The Soccer Player Shot At The Mall...(pics) / Former Nigerian National Basketball Player Shot Dead While Robbing A Home In TX (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by Goldie20: 4:34am On Nov 29, 2012

A former Nigerian national basketball player was shot dead in a botched burglary in Texas before Thanksgiving, it has been revealed.
According to the Dallas News, Onyeuku and another person allegedly tried to break into a residence on Rio Grande Street in Plano, Texas the night of November 21.

The homeowner told Plano police that he saw ‘multiple people’ approaching the house.

Onyeuku had played for the Nigerian team that qualified for this summer’s Olympic Games in London.

The two apparently entered the residence by breaking a glass patio door.

The homeowner shot Onyeuku, killing him instantly. His accomplice ran away without injury. Police are still trying to track the second burglar.

No one inside the home was injured in the burglary.

Upon their arrival, EMT workers pronounced him dead at the scene.

It is unclear why Onyeuku and his companion were trying to burglarize the residence.

The Nigeria Basketball Federation posted a statement saying that the 29-year-old athlete played basketball for the team that qualified for the London 2012 Olympics.

However, Onyeuku was not on the Olympic roster and did not actually compete.

The statement reads: '[His] passion for playing with D’Tigers was deep-seated and he will be greatly missed. The federation joins his family and team mates to mourn a departed son, father, husband and great patriot.'

According to online sports records, Onyeuku was born in the Nigerian capital of Lagos in 1983.
He moved to the United States at age six.

He played college basketball at Illinois State University and then went semi-pro for awhile, playing for the Arlington Bulldogs, in the American Basketball Association.

In 2009, he was invited to play for the D’Tigers, a national squad in Nigeria.

It also said that Onyeuku lived in Omaha, Nebraska.

Source http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2240099/Former-Nigerian-national-basketball-player-shot-dead-trying-rob-home-Texas-accomplice.html
Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by luvmijeje(f): 5:18am On Nov 29, 2012
R.I.P what a wrong way to leave dis world.
Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by Leadn(m): 10:15am On Nov 29, 2012
why don't I believe this shit?? undecided

Every1 knows just how much those Texas retards treat Nigerians! He might have been passing and got shot for no reason!

2 Likes

Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 29, 2012
Fake news...wats wrong wit these whites,r.i.p bro
Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by malele(m): 10:20am On Nov 29, 2012
How real is this stupid news.how can a basket baller go to break a broke ass house.
Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by elampiro(m): 10:20am On Nov 29, 2012
How can a basket ball player be a burglar? I am yet to believe the story.
Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by TreasuredGlory: 10:20am On Nov 29, 2012
Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by Ellashow: 10:20am On Nov 29, 2012
From basketball 2 home burglar? if dis is true wat a way 2 liv a life.....
Any ways RIP man....nxt life try 2 liv a decent life and stay off bad company
Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by TreasuredGlory: 10:22am On Nov 29, 2012
Hmmm
Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by virginvampire(m): 10:23am On Nov 29, 2012
Don't believe all u read

3 Likes

Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by Yvete(f): 10:23am On Nov 29, 2012
...sigh.... [/i]

4 Likes

Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by chynazom(f): 10:24am On Nov 29, 2012
Something isn't just right about this story

1 Like

Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 29, 2012
Murder.
Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by Afam4eva(m): 10:26am On Nov 29, 2012
This story is really hard to believe. What will make a pro Basketball player to want to break into someone's house.
Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by Nobody: 10:32am On Nov 29, 2012
He is not breaking into any House. They just made up the story.
Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by Lusaint(m): 10:36am On Nov 29, 2012
Lies
Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by fapcrook(m): 10:37am On Nov 29, 2012
Shame on people who kill for nothing but can wake any one up. RIP
Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by Revolva(m): 10:39am On Nov 29, 2012
What a story - a basketballer accused of buglary - what a lie !!!!! America and white lies na wa o
Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by Nobody: 10:50am On Nov 29, 2012
RACISIM!!!!! PLANO IS A PURE RACIST PART OF TEXAS...I AM SURE A WHITE DUDE SAW THEM AND STEREOTYPED HIM AS A BURGLER GIVEN HIS SIZE....KILLED HIM AND BROKE HIS OWN GLASS AND CALLED THE COPS..THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME IN TEXAS AND OTHER RED HEAD STATES IN THE US....UNFORTUNATELY THE MEDIA HARDLY REPORTS IT. RIP NWANNE

2 Likes

Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by azzima(m): 10:53am On Nov 29, 2012
What should be so untrue about this news? A former college basketballer cannot commit the crime?.even former nba ballers commit worse crime.is it because he was Nigerian?I have seen many Nigerians commit greater crimes.just because he played SEMI-PRO doesn't mean the crime cannot be commited. I pray that this story is not so but the dumb reasons ppl are giving that because he was Nigerian and a Baller so the story shouldn't be true.RIP man.

7 Likes

Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by Flygerian1(m): 10:59am On Nov 29, 2012
More reasons why i CANT live in America. Bastards!
Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by Nobody: 11:03am On Nov 29, 2012
azzima: What should be so untrue about this news? A former college basketballer cannot commit the crime?.even former nba ballers commit worse crime.is it because he was Nigerian?I have seen many Nigerians commit greater crimes.just because he played SEMI-PRO doesn't mean the crime cannot be commited. I pray that this story is not so but the dumb reasons ppl are giving that because he was Nigerian and a Baller so the story shouldn't be true.RIP man.

SHUT UP AND STOP BEING MYOPIC!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by Yvete(f): 11:06am On Nov 29, 2012
azzima: What should be so untrue about this news? A former college basketballer cannot commit the crime?.even former nba ballers commit worse crime.is it because he was Nigerian?I have seen many Nigerians commit greater crimes.just because he played SEMI-PRO doesn't mean the crime cannot be commited. I pray that this story is not so but the dumb reasons ppl are giving that because he was Nigerian and a Baller so the story shouldn't be true.RIP man.

And a dumber person like you should learn to be polite. Ain't you one of those Nigerians that commit greater crimes? Typical Nigerian mentality of unnecessary rudeness. You better thread carefully!

7 Likes

Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by justwise(m): 11:07am On Nov 29, 2012
Funny how people jump up waving their race card. They are not even bothered to find out whether the story is true or not.

2 Likes

Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by rusher14: 11:21am On Nov 29, 2012
Yvete:

And a dumber person like you should learn to be polite. Ain't you one of those Nigerians that commit greater crimes? Typical Nigerian mentality of unnecessary rudeness. You better thread carefully!

Perhaps the guy was a tad bit rude but at least he is trying to apply reason rather than sentiments. Time would tell if indeed the guy was trying to burgle or a victim of some unfortunate shooting. There's been nothing to make us know if the shooter is White so jumping to conclusions would be presumptuous . RIP and may justice prevail.
Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by ejifranks(m): 11:23am On Nov 29, 2012
Are you guys saying that because his Nigerian, is 29, young and vibrant and a former pro Bball player that he cant be a burglerna wa 4una oooo... D undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by Napolitano(m): 11:25am On Nov 29, 2012
If the story is true. then that is a big shame. why should a pro-basketballer resort to such lowness?
Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by kpolli(m): 11:25am On Nov 29, 2012
Something about the homeowner's story doesn't sound right to me
Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by justwise(m): 11:27am On Nov 29, 2012
ejifranks: Are you guys saying that because his Nigerian, is 29, young and vibrant and a former pro Bball player that he cant be a burglerna wa 4una oooo... D undecided undecided undecided undecided

Exactly what some people here are suggesting, some Nigerian are just unbelievable.

2 Likes

Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by IdiAmin2(m): 11:40am On Nov 29, 2012
Hope the tribalist won't come and de-rail this thread. Igbo Kwenu grin !!!
Anyway RIP
bur the story is indeed dodgy,
Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by IdiAmin2(m): 11:49am On Nov 29, 2012
justwise: Funny how people jump up waving their race card. They are not even bothered to find out whether the story is true or not.

And could please tell us how we will verify if the story is true or not, oh wise one!

The official story from the police is the 'true' story if no one else saw what happened. Racist police are known to cover up sh.it and turn stories around
Re: Chinedu Onyeku Ex-Basketball Player Shot Dead by Pato30(m): 11:55am On Nov 29, 2012
Rip

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

RRS Rescues Missing 11-Year-Old Boy Dropped Under Otedola Bridge, Lagos (pic) / He Undressed Us Publicly After Using Us (Pictures) / Police Arrest Seven Suspected Thieves In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.