Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,964 members, 7,821,390 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

Windows 2003 Multiple Installations With One Cd? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Windows 2003 Multiple Installations With One Cd? (1583 Views)

Can Somebody Help With Windows 2003 Server Product Key / How Do I Remove A Windows Multiple Boot Option? / Windows 2003 Server Free Materials And Dumps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Windows 2003 Multiple Installations With One Cd? by Hotchicc(f): 4:41pm On Feb 11, 2008
Hey People,
Is it possible to install one Windows 2003 Operating system on 3 or more servers and activate it without problems? If yes, Then Thanx a lot. If no, why and what can i do except buy 2 other installation CD
Re: Windows 2003 Multiple Installations With One Cd? by kanirip: 7:51pm On Feb 11, 2008
Now speaking from my limited reserve of common sense and assuming that you are using
an Authentic copy of Windows 2003, I would believe that the amountof Installations that you are
allowed to would depend on the options your license provides you with.

If you have a single PC license then No, you won't be allowed to install on multiple PCs but if you have
a multiple PC license then you will be allowed to install on as many PCs as your license stipulates.

Now if you bought your Windows 2003 CD from Otigba it is quite likely that none of what I just said will apply,
so CARRY ON INSTALLING!! wink wink wink wink wink grin grin
Re: Windows 2003 Multiple Installations With One Cd? by Hotchicc(f): 1:03pm On Feb 12, 2008
Its the authentic CD and its the Windows server 2003 R2 standard Edition with 5 CALs. Will it work?
I apprerciate the reply,  smiley
Re: Windows 2003 Multiple Installations With One Cd? by Hotchicc(f): 1:04pm On Feb 12, 2008
Its the authentic CD and its the Windows server 2003 R2 standard Edition with 5 CALs. Will it work?
I apprerciate the reply, smiley
Re: Windows 2003 Multiple Installations With One Cd? by Maleeq(m): 4:23pm On Feb 13, 2008
Client Access License (CAL) is a kind of license that allows client machines to connect to Microsoft server software. They usually come in the form of a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA)(the paper sticker at the back of your system) and a license key(Bleep-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx)

Your pack comes with 5 CALs, meaning depending on the access type you specify (either "PER USER" or "PER DEVICE"wink, you are permitted to have a maximum of 5 simultaneous installations or 5 active connections via RDP to the OS at anytime.

In the real world, you can use the software with an unlimited number of users/installation and buy no extra CALs at all - BUT you will be in breach of the license agreement and very large penalties will apply if you are caught. (No talk say I no warn you o! grin ).

If you are installing if for a company, then please get the necessary number of CALs cos Microsoft target corporate bodies for compliance checks! Unless the individual is unlucky or has his/her neck high above the crowd, they wont bug individuals.
Re: Windows 2003 Multiple Installations With One Cd? by Hotchicc(f): 7:32pm On Feb 13, 2008
Thanks Maleeq, I understand all that,
What i'm tryin to find out is if i can install with the same installation CD on three different servers. Or if it would be possible getting SERVER licenses for them instead of buying the three times the whole installation pack all over again
Re: Windows 2003 Multiple Installations With One Cd? by dami9ja(m): 7:39pm On Feb 13, 2008
Guess ur question has bn answrd, bt if i were u, i ll go ahead wit d installation o lol,kallas!
Re: Windows 2003 Multiple Installations With One Cd? by Maleeq(m): 9:31pm On Feb 13, 2008
Hotchicc:

Thanks Maleeq, I understand all that,
What i'm tryin to find out is if i can install with the same installation CD on three different servers. Or if it would be possible getting SERVER licenses for them instead of buying the three times the whole installation pack all over again
Sure! You can install the OS on several servers using the same installation CD and then, get/buy as much licenses as needed!
Re: Windows 2003 Multiple Installations With One Cd? by Hotchicc(f): 2:08pm On Feb 14, 2008
How much will it cost to get server licenses? I know im asking plenty questions and i do appreciate the answers grin, Thanks, u guys are great!!
Re: Windows 2003 Multiple Installations With One Cd? by Maleeq(m): 3:50pm On Feb 14, 2008
Asking too many questions? Nah! It just shows you WANT to learn, and thanks to Nairaland, you'll get plenty answers here. Just curious, are you setting up a super data center with so much servers that the 5 CALs you already have cant cover?

For the more details on CAL pricing, click[b] HERE[/b]
You might want to check HERE to get more information on the acquiring CALs and more.

Hope this helps some more!. . . and BTW, Happy Valentines'!
Re: Windows 2003 Multiple Installations With One Cd? by Hotchicc(f): 5:24pm On Feb 14, 2008
Thanks man!!!
I thought CALs are supposed to be for the clients that want to access the server
The question is if i have to get a SERVER
Re: Windows 2003 Multiple Installations With One Cd? by Hotchicc(f): 5:43pm On Feb 14, 2008
Thanks man!!!
I thought CALs are supposed to be for the clients that want to access the server.
The question is if i have to get a SERVER ACCESS LICENSE!!!
Im trying to install the O/S using the same installation as before and my vendor from microsoft says i have to get new installation CDs. It just dont make sense to me!! thats y i wanna find out if i  can just install with the same installation CD and buy licenses so that it wont seem as if i am a pirate - this one micosoft's selling their products with red eye! one cant be too careful o!
Re: Windows 2003 Multiple Installations With One Cd? by Maleeq(m): 10:47am On Feb 15, 2008
Hotchicc:

Thanks man!!!
I thought CALs are supposed to be for the clients that want to access the server.
Yeah! I mixed up the terms(server and client access licenses). Its true CALs are for client access.

Yes, you still can install multiple servers from the same disk but Microsoft would only recognize one installation as valid. Now, picture this scenario: You install the OS on a system, then un-install and re-install it on another system, do you need to get another license? No! The license permits one and only one installation at a time.

The same logic applies to installing multiple copies of the OS from the same CD. Only the 1st copy is legal in the eye of Microsoft. You will need to buy server license for the others if you are so concerned about the legal issues. They would however still work without new licenses.

Do you know that OEM manufacturers like HP, DELL etc actually install from just one CD(image), but the have licenses for multiple installation? The COA on the systems represent these unique licenses but the currently active installations all have THE SAME license. Try it, check the installed keys on more than one systems in a specific brand/model/batch pair.

I dont have a direct link to purchase site, but I'll check it out for you later.

(1) (Reply)

Help ! Fairly New Notebook Keeps Going Blank / How To Install Your Favorite Android Apps On Pc With Bluestacks App Player, Wino / *** Super Clean DELL Inspiron With 500gb Hdd, 4gb Ram For N25,000 Only***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.