Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,078 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! (4764 Views)

Law School Staff In Accident In Edo State. (See Photos) / Photos : Accident Leads To Fight Between BRT Staff And Car Owner In Lagos / How Much Do You Pay Your Driver? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by sienna116(f): 8:54pm On Dec 01, 2012
I boarded a bus this morning on my way to work, as the bus conductor was going around collecting the bus fares, I heard the guy(bus conductor) apparently shouting at a passenger who obviously was forming "staff". For those who don't stay in Lagos or Nigeria, "staff" are usually members of the nigerian police force or the Nigerian army who by virtue of their service to Nigeria are exempted from paying bus fares.

Back to my gist, according to the conductor, he asked the lady for her bus fare and that next thing he saw was that the lady brought out a pair of handcuufs claiming she was a staff. I think she must have been a staff of the prison service, going by her uniform. This obviously didn't go down well with the conductor who told her "wetin be my bizness say u be staff? Abeg! Pay me my money! Abi na staff I take dey buy fuel? U con dey comot handcuff! U wan arrest prisoner abi if u see thief u fit arrest am? Etc.

Though the lady later got off the bus without paying, I begin to wonder why the police who can't even protect the lives of its citizen would be exepted from paying bus fares while we the law abiding citizens pay? And then also, considering the cost of buying fuel and settling of agberos and lastma, how much are those drivers left with?

Is this right or wrong? What do you think?

3 Likes

Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by Nobody: 9:00pm On Dec 01, 2012
That's very funny ... Staff grin cheesy

There's something similar here too but most times you just give them ( most times marines & cops) percentage off not free. grin grin
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by sienna116(f): 9:05pm On Dec 01, 2012
@jidegirl, giving them discounts is a good idea but to go without paying @ all is robbery.

1 Like

Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by k2039: 9:43pm On Dec 01, 2012
Inside that bus he/she is not any different from a normal citizen so he/she should pay what others pay.

Imagine a cab carrying all staffs(as they are called),how will the driver fend foor himself.

If they dont want to pay fares,they should get the federal goverment to get them a staff bus.

Nonsense

3 Likes

Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by Caseless: 9:52pm On Dec 01, 2012
It is wrong.
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by Ndipe(m): 10:58pm On Dec 01, 2012
sienna116: @jidegirl, giving them discounts is a good idea but to go without paying @ all is robbery.

Soon, fake policemen would be inside buses demanding for discounts and freebies. That's not the way to go please.
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by Nobody: 11:50pm On Dec 01, 2012
Ndipe:

Soon, fake policemen would be inside buses demanding for discounts and freebies. That's not the way to go please.

No such thing as fake policeman.... they can only purchase their uniforms from specific places with I.D..... I can't speak for Naija o!
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by Ndipe(m): 11:56pm On Dec 01, 2012
jidegirl12:

No such thing as fake policeman.... they can only purchase their uniforms from specific places with I.D..... I can't speak for Naija o!

We are talking about Naija.
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by greatgod2012(f): 1:56am On Dec 02, 2012
If i may ask, staff of where? or which company? Of road transporters?.........so many things are wrong in this country and they have to be addressed as soon as possible. These pple who are claiming to be staff are not even beneficial to these transporters, instead, they make things complex for them by unnecessarily extorting money from them for no good reasons. Oh God of mercy, have mercy on me....
Staff indeed!
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by Ndipe(m): 2:17am On Dec 02, 2012
greatgod2012: If i may ask, staff of where? or which company? Of road transporters?.........so many things are wrong in this country and they have to be addressed as soon as possible. These pple who are claiming to be staff are not even beneficial to these transporters, instead, they make things complex for them by unnecessarily extorting money from them for no good reasons. Oh God of mercy, have mercy on me....
Staff indeed!

Some of these Nigerian policement, after extorting money from passengers through illegal tollbooth, they now want to be exempted from paying taxi fare. Talk of freebies.
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by Andy1985ng(m): 10:26am On Dec 02, 2012
It is because of things like this that make me love this country more....if i am coming back again, i will still opt to be a Nigerian!
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by fapcrook(m): 10:27am On Dec 02, 2012
Wrong. They are a set of nuisance to m. 40 or 45 th to comment
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by blackmann(m): 10:27am On Dec 02, 2012
This "staff" idea came about during the Civil war. Back then it was a rule by the government that commercial vehicles provide free transport service to serving forces on display of their I'd cards, but trust Naijas and awuf, they still claim that till date.
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by pheyiechemie: 10:29am On Dec 02, 2012
Why should anybody in uniform whether para or otherwise claim staff in a public bus, did he contribute in buying the bus or are they not paid salary?

1 Like

Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by Nobody: 10:30am On Dec 02, 2012
well its common in lagos.i dont know of other states but i think why the conductor was yelling was because the staff is a female.most female staff are not that lucky to get free ride.
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by shadrach77: 10:36am On Dec 02, 2012
Those who say it's wrong are silly. All over the world service men are given discount and exemption on travel and other products angry sad angry
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by etudaddy(m): 10:38am On Dec 02, 2012
I claimed staff one day and it paid me. If the conductor know say I be ordinary civilian yawa for gas for me dat day.

1 Like

Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by emmaduks(m): 10:39am On Dec 02, 2012
i think an army general should pay also
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by kessyur: 10:40am On Dec 02, 2012
I equally claim staff at times. Once I have my beard shaves and with my rugged face, I claim so.
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by sweetgala(m): 10:41am On Dec 02, 2012
In a civilized country only the police and sometimes the army while "on duty" can board public transport without paying fares, it does include emergency services but I don't see why a paramedic or fireman would board a bus to a burning house.
Army staff would rarely board public transport while on duty.
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by segzicres(m): 10:43am On Dec 02, 2012
Y would an army general b ina public bus? Dem use him destiny play tennis?

2 Likes

Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by miqos02(m): 10:47am On Dec 02, 2012
its nothing new, you even see driver/conductor calling them to sit in the front in order to escape lastma, but you have to be in uniform
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by dridowu: 10:47am On Dec 02, 2012
I hate dat word STAFF wen inside public bus anyway sha dy no fit try am wit BRT
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by Andrew3(m): 10:57am On Dec 02, 2012
shadrach77: Those who say it's wrong are silly. All over the world service men are given discount and exemption on travel and other products angry sad angry
where is Abednego?
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by yuzedo: 10:58am On Dec 02, 2012
When I was much younger, my mum and I entered public bus and the force men claimed "staff", so didn't pay.
I turned to my mum, and I was like, "why do you have to pay? After all, you too are a staff" (my mum was a civil servant and following her to work I was always hearing that word staff cos it is common parlance in the work place) grin grin undecided
So if you ask me, everybody na staff, either public sector or private firm. Once u have employment/staff number, u don turn "staff"..tongue
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by HAH: 11:24am On Dec 02, 2012
this rubbish happens in Lagos and it pains me, here in Abuja if you like be a general you must pay your fare. the truth is that every public servant works for the populace. what is happening in Lagos has nothing to do with their service but pure coarsion which the authorities must stop. this is mainly be cause of our military rule mentality
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by Nnamdini(m): 11:35am On Dec 02, 2012
There's nothing wrong wit a staff not paying for transport as long as he\she is putting on uniform & its one staff per bus.any other scenario is not aceptable.yes,I support uniformed personnel not to pay bus fares

1 Like

Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by KwoiZabo(m): 11:55am On Dec 02, 2012
Nnamdini: There's nothing wrong wit a staff not paying for transport as long as he\she is putting on uniform & its one staff per bus.any other scenario is not aceptable.yes,I support uniformed personnel not to pay bus fares
Right on point. they should be allowed if and only if they are on uniform and one staff @ a time. Joke i saw in a newspaper cartoon(a boko man was claiming staff)
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by DisGuy: 1:04pm On Dec 02, 2012
Nnamdini: There's nothing wrong wit a staff not paying for transport as long as he\she is putting on uniform & its one staff per bus.any other scenario is not aceptable.yes,I support uniformed personnel not to pay bus fares

dont they collect transportation allowance?
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by sigmundfreud(m): 2:08pm On Dec 02, 2012
KwoiZabo:
Right on point. they should be allowed if and only if they are on uniform and one staff @ a time. Joke i saw in a newspaper cartoon(a boko man was claiming staff)
Its a private bizness...if u board u pay, shikena!
abi dem dey take staff buy fuel or service vehicle? Dont they get salaries?
All that staff thing na lagos nonsense.
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by HAH: 2:23pm On Dec 02, 2012
most likely you are one of them. whether in uniform or not they are to pay fo services rendered to them, afterall this so called staff collect salary more than their mates in civil service ,despite being mostly drop outs.
Re: Staff Ko, Staff Ni! Pay Your Money Joor! by lucabrasi(m): 3:51pm On Dec 02, 2012
sienna116: I boarded a bus this morning on my way to work, as the bus conductor was going around collecting the bus fares, I heard the guy(bus conductor) apparently shouting at a passenger who obviously was forming "staff". For those who don't stay in Lagos or Nigeria, "staff" are usually members of the nigerian police force or the Nigerian army who by virtue of their service to Nigeria are exempted from paying bus fares.

Back to my gist, according to the conductor, he asked the lady for her bus fare and that next thing he saw was that the lady brought out a pair of handcuufs claiming she was a staff. I think she must have been a staff of the prison service, going by her uniform. This obviously didn't go down well with the conductor who told her "wetin be my bizness say u be staff? Abeg! Pay me my money! Abi na staff I take dey buy fuel? U con dey comot handcuff! U wan arrest prisoner abi if u see thief u fit arrest am? Etc.

Though the lady later got off the bus without paying, I begin to wonder why the police who can't even protect the lives of its citizen would be exepted from paying bus fares while we the law abiding citizens pay? And then also, considering the cost of buying fuel and settling of agberos and lastma, how much are those drivers left with?

Is this right or wrong? What do you think?
just last week thursday i was at the shepherds bush underground train station when a plainclothes male police officer flashed his warrant(police identity) and the station staff immediately opened the barrier for him and he passed through so this happens all over its not strange to only nigeria

(1) (2) (Reply)

Urgent Pls!!!! Removal of car tint! / We Are Ringing GS300 Lexus V6 This Week 08061371793 / Are You Traveling This Festive Period? You Need To Read This!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.