Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,733 members, 7,809,818 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:26 PM

Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language (24687 Views)

The Caribbean Islands Where Indigenes Speak Igbo And Yoruba / 7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True / Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by ghettochyk(f): 5:04pm On Feb 15, 2008
Nne how far jare?! Happy Vals day to u too!! long time no see!
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by romeo(m): 5:38pm On Feb 15, 2008
ghettochyk:

Don't really know if it's your own stupidity is keeping you from moving forward, but my dear, my family and I are African and Especially Nigerian, and honey, progress is the ONLY thing in we know.
Since when did this become a topic about being accepted by an English man or trying to change genotypes? Stupidity amongst Africans indeed!
And when did this become a Yoruba vs. Igbo vs English thread? Now where did this come from? Anyways, that has nothing to do with the discussion but if that's how YOU feel. But I can swear that Igbo aint for Illiterate folks, or I wouldn't know it. wink

It's nice y'all are trying to advice the thread that he should learn Igbo. If he learns Igbo, better for him, and if he doesn't, then he doesn't. He won't kill himself. It's not his fault he doesn't speak Igbo. He didn't decide where he would grow up and the type of folks he'd associate with the most <at least as a kid>. Now, as a grown man, if he decides it's best for him to learn igbo, the it's going to be HIS responsibility to learn it. And if he does learn it, it will be better for him, not me, or any of us.

If he learns igbo it will be better for all of us Igbos and not just him, i wonder how some people think and i am disappointed in this girl
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by oziomatv(m): 7:29pm On Feb 15, 2008
@Romeo
Ghettochyk doesn't speak Igbo well that's why she tend to stand on the motion that said Igbo or no Igbo no qualms.
I think as a sister if she wish I can offer a free igbo lesson to her without hoping for something in return.
Umu amuru na ofesi.
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by Ezinwannem: 7:39pm On Feb 15, 2008
am in da mission of learning how 2 read and write, da process of trying them gives me unwanted headache
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by ifyalways(f): 7:41pm On Feb 15, 2008
@oziomatv,o buzikwa ofu okwu ka anyi na ekwu  wink i diverti wana d talk  cheesy
@poster,o ga adiri gi nma na i mutara isu igbo.we shouldnt throw away our roots or forget our heritage because of where we were born or ebe anyi bi.muta igbo,o ga abara gi uru,you wudnt feel like a stranger when you are with your umunna.o nweghi ebe dika ulo,o nweghi ihe dika olu ulo too.jisie ike nna,i ga amuta igbo afterall, onye na amu o na amuta  cheesy
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by oziomatv(m): 7:59pm On Feb 15, 2008
Ify no enter that side.
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by romeo(m): 8:39pm On Feb 15, 2008
oziomatv:

@Romeo
Ghettochyk doesn't speak Igbo well that's why she tend to stand on the motion that said Igbo or no Igbo no qualms.
I think as a sister if she wish I can offer a free igbo lesson to her without hoping for something in return.
Umu amuru na ofesi.

She writes a little but not central igbo, but i don't know how she speaks
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by ghettochyk(f): 9:07pm On Feb 15, 2008
romeo:

If he learns igbo it will be better for all of us Igbos and not just him, i wonder how some people think and i am disappointed in this girl
No comment.
oziomatv:

@Romeo
Umu amuru na ofesi.
My happiness is that you don't know me from Adam, and I don't even have a clue who the heck YOU are. So, really, ur comments can't really mean shyt to me unless I of course decide it will. wink
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by smile4kenn(m): 10:00pm On Feb 15, 2008
I thank you all and i feel happy reading all your posts, Well i try as much to speak, but i dont have much friends here to speak igbo with. Most Nigerians here are hausas and they speak their language like never before.

I appreciate languages other than english and i think i will try hard to learn every aspect of igbo. I attend chinese language class at weekends because i love chinese and i want to learn how to speak, read and write chinese. i wish i can find such a class for igbo.
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by romeo(m): 11:35pm On Feb 15, 2008
May Amadioha guide you my son cheesy cheesy cheesy iseeeeeeeeeeee
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by oziomatv(m): 4:26pm On Feb 16, 2008
romeo:

May Amadioha guide you my son cheesy cheesy cheesy iseeeeeeeeeeee
   I'll consult the oracle for some remedies.
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by oziomatv(m): 4:31pm On Feb 16, 2008
ghettochyk:

My happiness is that you don't know me from Adam, and I don't even have a clue who the heck YOU are. So, really, your comments can't really mean shyt to me unless I of course decide it will. wink

the same thing applicable to me.
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by ifyalways(f): 5:52pm On Feb 17, 2008
@poster,good for you.jisie ike,nwa afor kiss
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by spoilt(f): 9:27pm On Feb 17, 2008
I cant speak igbo. Circumstances beyond my control. As long as you can communicate in something , then you are good.
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by Ifunanya1(f): 11:23pm On Feb 17, 2008
its not your fault, it's your parents fault

I was raised in Lagos and can speak igbo perfectly
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by RichyBlacK(m): 12:26pm On Feb 18, 2008
It's people like prince_onx that prevent many Igbos from learning the language. In his supreme ignorance and distasteful arrogance, he's more willing to scold the OP like an errant child, and less willing to give suggestions on techniques, audio CDs, literature, etc. to help the OP in learning Igbo.

Many Igbos are not encouraged to learn the language because of the attitude of those who are supposed to help them learn.

Yes, many (not all) Igbos born in Lagos, and some other parts of the country are not fluent speakers of the language for many reasons:

1. Immersed in a society where Igbo is rarely spoken.

2. The pogrom directed at Igbos in the mid 1960s and the following civil war, made many Igbo parents (though few will readily admit this) living outside Igboland, but within Nigeria, apprehensive about the safety of their children from the stand-point of being easily identified as Igbo. The fear then, in the early 1970s, was palpable especially since many Igbos did not fully trust that the state (Nigeria) can protect them even after the civil war. The thinking was that "if it happened before, it can happen again". However, for economic reasons many Igbos still had to settle outside Igbo land. The consequence of all these was that many Igbo parents living outside Igbo land, but within Nigeria, thought it wise to play down the Igbo identity of their children for fear that it may make the difference between life and death in a lawless Nigeria. But ignorant, arrogant, "I sabi speak Igbo pass everybody", characters like prince_onx are unable to appreciate the state of mind of the Igbo parents raising kids outside Igboland, and who had just come out of a politically induced pogrom, religiously catalyzed massacres, and a brutal quasi-genocidal civil war.

3. The likes of prince_onx, either laughing at those trying to learn or shouting "there is no excuse!"
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by echelon(m): 5:12pm On Feb 19, 2008
@poster

This online resource is dedicated to the learning of the language:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/uwandiigbo/
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by BlackMamba(m): 3:57am On Feb 20, 2008
Is there really an argument that one that claims any culture ought to speak the language? Parents can be ignorant and misguided but that does not excuse the shortcoming. And those arguing to the contrary, that's just sad. There are some issues that either a young or feeble mind will not comprehend.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by loruz(f): 3:03pm On Feb 25, 2008
PRINCE ONX,THANK GOD U RNT A JUDGE COS U WILL JUST BE HANDING OUT DEATH SENTENCES AT WILL!
GC,IFY AND THE OTHERS THANK U FOR ENCOURAGING HER.
@ POSTER,ITS NEVER TOO LATE TO LEARN,JUST TAKES DETERMINATION AND REMEMBER,U DONT OWE ANYBODY APOLOGY FOR BEING U.
SO DONT MIND MY NARROW-MINDED BROTHERS(THEY R D REASON WHILE OTHER TRIBES FEEL WE R TOO RIGID)
TAKE KIA OF URSELF AND KEEP ON KEEPING ON.
WILL REMEBER U IN MY PRAYERS ABT D JOB
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by smile4kenn(m): 2:05pm On Mar 18, 2008
No more in da house?
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by echelon(m): 2:59pm On Mar 19, 2008
smile4kenn:

No more in da house?
Kedu ihe I choro? - What do  you want?

Anyi no ebe a n'akuku gi - We are right here beside you
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by Nobody: 1:22am On Mar 20, 2008
It's a big shame to have kids raised in Nigeria of Igbo parents that can't speak Igbo.
Many of parents who did this thought they were being "oyibo"
I remember hearing some say
My kids don't speak Igbo
I'm talking kids raised in Ajegunle and Akowonjo
what an outrage.

There are even more pathetic cases.
Little kids of Igbo parents who don't speak Igbo and don't speak proper English either.
Now that's what I call sorry.

They'll come home for Christmas and the older people will be talking with them and their mom will say
"Junior doesn't hear Ibo o"
and people will say,what's your name and what class are you doing now?
junior will say,my name na junior,I dey elementary 4

kids in Okija primary won't even speak like that

1 Like

Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by Nobody: 1:25am On Mar 20, 2008
Well, I was born in Lagos and we always speak english at home and school. So i never had the chance to learn ibo language until i travelled out. Now am trying to learn but its hard for me.

Please others identify yourself so that i will know am not the only one

good, you're learning.
sad what you're learning is your own language.
that's sad
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by 4Him(m): 1:27am On Mar 20, 2008
Smile4ken, makes 2 of us jare. Lets console each other. grin
All my uncles and aunts plus my mum gather and start speaking igbo while we look on in envy. All my mum says is "well i tried to teach you" . . . does the occassional nmirri oku qualify as teaching igbo?
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by henry007(m): 1:41am On Mar 20, 2008
abi oh making us sound retarded while telling us we r tryin well well
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by echelon(m): 7:32am On Mar 25, 2008
Y'all that can speak shouldn't be disheartened at all. I understand how it feelsI'm learning french. But believe me, you've got the cultural advantage in that it's your language, it's already in your blood waiting to be resurrected. If you're still with your parents, initiate a language lesson with them and stick to it. Speak it, no matter how bad, and with time, you'll pick up.

Our people hold that

Aka aja aja na-ebuta onu mmanu mmanu
Soiled hands leads to oily mouth

means there is always reward for an effort

1 Like

Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by smile4kenn(m): 11:06am On Apr 28, 2008
no more in da house?
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by ztyle(m): 11:20am On Apr 28, 2008
More Wetin? *Batting eyelashes*
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by TopBooty(f): 6:38pm On Apr 28, 2008
It's people like prince_onx that prevent many Igbos from learning the language. In his supreme ignorance and distasteful arrogance, he's more willing to scold the OP like an errant child, and less willing to give suggestions on techniques, audio CDs, literature, etc. to help the OP in learning Igbo.

Many Igbos are not encouraged to learn the language because of the attitude of those who are supposed to help them learn.

Yes, many (not all) Igbos born in Lagos, and some other parts of the country are not fluent speakers of the language for many reasons:

1. Immersed in a society where Igbo is rarely spoken.

2. The pogrom directed at Igbos in the mid 1960s and the following civil war, made many Igbo parents (though few will readily admit this) living outside Igboland, but within Nigeria, apprehensive about the safety of their children from the stand-point of being easily identified as Igbo. The fear then, in the early 1970s, was palpable especially since many Igbos did not fully trust that the state (Nigeria) can protect them even after the civil war. The thinking was that "if it happened before, it can happen again". However, for economic reasons many Igbos still had to settle outside Igbo land. The consequence of all these was that many Igbo parents living outside Igbo land, but within Nigeria, thought it wise to play down the Igbo identity of their children for fear that it may make the difference between life and death in a lawless Nigeria. But ignorant, arrogant, "I sabi speak Igbo pass everybody", characters like prince_onx are unable to appreciate the state of mind of the Igbo parents raising kids outside Igboland, and who had just come out of a politically induced pogrom, religiously catalyzed massacres, and a brutal quasi-genocidal civil war.

3. The likes of prince_onx, either laughing at those trying to learn or shouting "there is no excuse!"
I think your reason #2 is far from the truth. I'll have to support pince onx here because many Nigerians especially women think it's hip to deny your indiginous language. Ibos are like legion in lagos, they are very territorial and their NNa slang follows them around. This girl wasn't born in Finland or Nebraska, she grew up in damn lagos that has no much difference with iboland. How will you explain those yorubas that come up with this lame excuse for not speaking yoruba?

A friend of mine lived at Enugu all her life with her parents, she speaks yoruba very very very well, better than those lagosians and her friend who's from Benin speaks Benin language very well even though she never went to Benin and was exposed to only ibo.

I read in another tread about someone giving those yorubas excuse for not speaking yoruba because they were born outside yoruba land in Nigeria. Some of these people understand and can speak it very well but will rather prefer to deny it anyway until you watch a movie with them, you'll understand.
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by TopBooty(f): 6:42pm On Apr 28, 2008
I got another story, Y'all know that I prefer to call nollywood, ibowood because 99% of the movies they dish out centers around the ibo culture and the soundtracks are always ibo. There is this lagosian ibo girl in DC who can neither speak both ibo and yoruba nor understand them according to her but anytime we watch ibowwod movies together, she explains every little ibo sentence to me in those movies. I was forced to ask her one day, how come you can neither speak nor undertsand but can interpret what goes on here especially the ibo soundtracks. Don't mind them jo, this na just effizy.
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by Nobody: 6:54pm On Apr 28, 2008
Well, I was born in Lagos and we always speak english at home and school. So i never had the chance to learn ibo language until i travelled out. Now am trying to learn but its hard for me.

Please others identify yourself so that i will know am not the only one

I WAS ALSO BORN IN LAGOS,I SCHOOLED THERE,BUT I SPEAK BETTER IGBO THAN ANYONE WHO WAS BORN AND BROUGHT UP IN D VILLAGE
Re: Igbos That Cannot Speak Igbo Language by 2roll(m): 3:45pm On Apr 29, 2008
jennykadry:

I WAS ALSO BORN IN LAGOS,I SCHOOLED THERE,BUT I SPEAK BETTER IGBO THAN ANYONE WHO WAS BORN AND BROUGHT UP IN D VILLAGE
[quote][/quote]
U speak beta igbo than others because u were given the opportunity to learn by ur parents. If in d house u don`t communicate in igbo i dont see hw u will learn. I was born and brought up in cameroon. In d house my parents communicate to us in igbo and dat was d only way i got a rudimentary knwoledge of the language. At a time, bc of my poor knwoledge of d language, if my father talks 2 me in igbo i reply in english. He told me he will never take dat from me any longer dat i shld always talk 2 him in igbo. I made efforts to learn how 2 speak igbo.
So i think its more about parental influence than where u were born.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Youths Celebrate Age Grade In Imo With Guns & Sticks (Video) / Eze Chukwuemeka Eri With African Americans Of Igbo Ancestry / Owa Of Igbajo, Olufemi Fashade Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.