Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,078 members, 7,814,741 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

Arms Dealer Jailed For Seven Years For Shipping Thousands Of Ak47s To Nigeria - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Arms Dealer Jailed For Seven Years For Shipping Thousands Of Ak47s To Nigeria (1407 Views)

Man Jailed 5 Years For Setting Pregnant Woman Ablaze; Photo / Boko Haram Arms Dealer Nabbed ! / Police Arrest Suspected Arms Dealer In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arms Dealer Jailed For Seven Years For Shipping Thousands Of Ak47s To Nigeria by Skywalker5(m): 3:11pm On Dec 06, 2012
So guns dey Naija like this?

An arms dealer who helped ship thousands of AK47 assault rifles and millions of rounds of ammunition from China to Nigeria has been jailed for seven years.
Gary Hyde, 43, moved the weapons without a licence and hid more than one million US dollars - £620,460 - in commission payments.
Hyde, from Newton on Derwent, near York, looked tearful as he was sentenced at London’s Southwark Crown Court following his conviction for two counts of breaching UK trade controls and concealing criminal property.
The deal between the two countries’ governments was lawful, but Judge Nicholas Loraine-Smith said middleman Hyde was caught out by his own greed.
He failed to apply for a licence to take part in the deal, fearing it would be refused, but also because he was attracted by the 'enormous profits' to be made, the judge said.
Hyde, who was supported in court by his family, legitimately ran and expanded wholesale business York Guns to the point where it employed 20 staff in 2003.
He helped broker various arms deals including some for the British Government.
But in 2006 he got involved in the deal between China and Nigeria which saw up to 40,000 AK47s, 30,000 rifles and 10,000 9mm pistols go to the African nation along with 32 million rounds of ammunition.
Prosecutor Mukul Chawla QC said: ‘This case is about the shipment of huge quantity of guns and ammunition from China to Nigeria in 2007.
‘That shipment, because it was being partly arranged and organised from the UK by Gary Hyde, required the permission of the Department for Business, Innovation, and Skills in the form of a licence.
‘Mr Hyde, despite knowing that such a licence was required, helped to organise that shipment without seeking and obtaining the required licence.
‘This was not an oversight but, say the prosecution, a deliberate and calculated breach of the law.
‘In order to ensure that his illegal activities were not drawn to the attention of the UK authorities he placed, and thus concealed, the profits from this illegal trade in to a bank account in Liechtenstein.’
Hyde was convicted after a retrial on two counts of becoming knowingly concerned in the movement of controlled goods between March 2006 and December 2007.

He was also found guilty of one count of concealing criminal property between March 2006 and December 2008 after he hid the profits in a bank in Liechtenstein.
Hyde, who was of previous good character and served as a special constable for seven years, was also reluctant to apply for a licence lest the UK authorities discovered his tax haven account and his 'very substantial earnings', the judge said.

He told him: 'You got carried away by the enormous profits that could be made elsewhere and, it would seem, in some less responsible company.
'I accept you opened your account in Liechtenstein to reduce your tax liability in lawful ways but it was there conveniently for you to launder the money from this unlawful deal.'
The judge added: “Applying for a licence would have been easy. There was no evidence you would have got one, the question was never asked. I suspect you thought you would not.
'If you had, you would have also been concerned about the UK authorities finding out about your very substantial earnings.'

: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2243593/Gary-Hyde-Arms-dealer-jailed-seven-years-shipping-thousands-AK47s-Nigeria.html#ixzz2EHU8UTVK
Re: Arms Dealer Jailed For Seven Years For Shipping Thousands Of Ak47s To Nigeria by Kyari79(m): 10:05pm On Apr 14, 2023
someone who is to be kill a ram , after 7 years he free to come back & continue
Re: Arms Dealer Jailed For Seven Years For Shipping Thousands Of Ak47s To Nigeria by Eyinju112(f): 10:18am On Apr 15, 2023
Seven years pere 🤌🤌🤌
Re: Arms Dealer Jailed For Seven Years For Shipping Thousands Of Ak47s To Nigeria by spawnx: 10:31am On Apr 15, 2023
Yes just seven years. He was in breach of law in his country for evading tax and not getting the required business license. The guns were probably supplied to the Nigerian Government.
Re: Arms Dealer Jailed For Seven Years For Shipping Thousands Of Ak47s To Nigeria by nedekid: 11:18am On Apr 15, 2023
I have. Mine is 200m for 1 coin. undecided
Re: Arms Dealer Jailed For Seven Years For Shipping Thousands Of Ak47s To Nigeria by Makamatic: 1:00am On Apr 18, 2023
Obviously the weapons would be from China and Russia but our xinping and Putin fanboys would tell us that the western world are our problem
Re: Arms Dealer Jailed For Seven Years For Shipping Thousands Of Ak47s To Nigeria by Ben1global(m): 1:29am On Apr 18, 2023
Very disheartening new.....

Do you know you can earn $200 and$1000 monthly from Amazon with just your smartphone and Secondary School knowledge.

Secure your place in the community of those who want to turn their phone into dollar ATM.

*Click*👉 https:///ftesu6 and get your free video on WhatsApp.

My Testimony
I remember when I first found out that I could earn money online,I was skeptical.

"Will this work?"I don't want my money to go o," but the lack I was facing was enough pain already.work from 9ap to 7pm carrying block and concretes weighing 39kg upwards.I started developing muscles even,I became dark thin, and I was always tired.God knew I was only doing that to have cash daily,I lamented about how the morning come fast.
The wars part,when time comes for school I found out that I saved nothing and I beging scratch around for founds to resume.It was horrible, terrible mehn.work for 4 weeks with hope to get something resume with but looking at Resumption with dismay.
Don't ask if I have parents. I do.and I also have 4 siblings. I am the first ,I can't leave my responsibility to my parents anymore,they still have 4 to handle.
Maximum of two weeks, I always called Dad in school for one money or the other.#1500,2000,5000 come,and before I get 4 handouts and Detergent hmm.can't tell all,but today the story changed,the table turned,I send money to parents,I am more confidence about my future,I pay my school fees,I pay for feeding.

Don't think I have two heads,I don't.you can do it too.

You can literally take your life from 4figure to 6-7figures not in a day or week oh,but that's what we call growth.

The poor can't help the poor.So,get rich and I'm here to help you achieve this dream, information is power, I will take you in every step provided you want me to.i will be available to answer questions.
Click on this link and join me on WhatsApp https:///ftesu6

(1) (Reply)

Photo: Nigerian Player Dies In Swimming Pool At Sex Party In UK Mansion / Nigerian Trekking To Abuja For Buhari Declared Missing / Pls Help How Can I Report This Person

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.